15 year old irons vs. New irons

jmaytx

Just got back into the game after about a 10 year layoff. Was fitted for and purchased a set of Cleveland TA5 Gunmetals back in 2001 and still playing them. I love my TA5's but I'm wondering if it's worth looking into a new set because I know the technology has changed since then. I'm just an average golfer and hit the ones I have well. I just don't know whether to stick with what I have and take care of them or try something new/couple years old. Are club designs now really going to improve my game THAT much? Trying to decide if spending the money on a new set is really going to be justified. Appreciate any feedback/opinions. Thanks!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you want to hit a PW with the loft of today's SGI or GI 9 iron then by all means do it. Otherwise don't waste your money (if you hit it on the sweet spot most of the time).

My 845s are practically twice as old as your irons and I'm very happy with them.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

My MP14's is in California and I use it each time I travel there. Love it better than my later model Mizunos.

[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]driver - Titleist 915 D3 10.5[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]fairway - Ping I25 18 degree 5 wood
hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19 & 23
Irons - Mizuno MP68 3-PW
wedges Mizuno MP-T5 50-58
putter - Ping Sigma G Doon[/font][/size]

If you love irons and hit them well, really no need to make a change. If want to try some new options, my advice is to do so outside on real grass where can judge ball flight and turf interaction in real world conditions compared to current clubs.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Thanks so much for the feedback, that's kind of what I am thinking as well. When I think of the rounds I could play and range time I could get with what some new irons would cost I just don't know that I could justify it. Probably stick with what I've got and get my groove back. Maybe go to a fitter again to make sure my shafts are still where they need to be eventually.

Thanks so much for the feedback, that's kind of what I am thinking as well. When I think of the rounds I could play and range time I could get with what some new irons would cost I just don't know that I could justify it. Probably stick with what I've got and get my groove back. Maybe go to a fitter again to make sure my shafts are still where they need to be eventually.

I think this is probably the best thing for you. Unless you are near a scratch golfer you'd be better served using the money spent on a new set for lessons and practice time. Like you said getting refit probably isn't a bad idea either.

If you plan to play in top level tournaments, your irons won't be allowed due to the groove rule but if you're a recreational player you have until 2024.

That being said, I love older irons vs newer ones. Even shaft tech hasn't changed much (talking steel , not graphite). Dynamic Gold is still very good.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

I always say, hit them head to head to see which performs best. In that same genre of iron, hard to beat the G400s right now, IMO. ;)

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Just got back into the game after about a 10 year layoff. Was fitted for and purchased a set of Cleveland TA5 Gunmetals back in 2001 and still playing them. I love my TA5's but I'm wondering if it's worth looking into a new set because I know the technology has changed since then. I'm just an average golfer and hit the ones I have well. I just don't know whether to stick with what I have and take care of them or try something new/couple years old. Are club designs now really going to improve my game THAT much? Trying to decide if spending the money on a new set is really going to be justified. Appreciate any feedback/opinions. Thanks!

No IMO.

Handicap:  3

I was in a similar boat. My layoff was longer though, and my old clubs were Wilson Staff Ultra 45's. I loved those clubs and probably could have just re gripped them and kept going. But I decided to get more serious about playing and bought a set of 716 AP1's and I'm glad I did. As mentioned above the lofts are all different, but that doesn't really matter. What is really noticeable is when I hit a shot pure. It feels, looks and sounds better.

I took a punt a week ago on 2009 X Forged 4 to pw, stock lie angle.

Got to the range today , px6.5 flighted, by rights way too stiff, im a dgs200 guy.

Beautiful Irons...... i even hit a srixon Z Star from my bag just to check feel/sound

vs the 9am mid winter range rocks!! A great buy !!

Cheers, Roger

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Nope. I just played a round with lynx parallax and if it wasn't for some trouble I got into on a par 3 it would have been my lowest round this year. I usually game cleveland 588 mt irons and 588 hybrids, or fourteen 525 in the past month.

Nothing wrong with buying new clubs but they will do very little. I wish I knew that before going full ho haha

I still use my 1st Gen Titleist AP1's with True Temper/Sensicore High Launch shafts. I try to use Ping G20s and they didn't work for me. Stick with what works for you and enjoy your return.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

I compared my Mp-32s with the new JPX 900 tour and Forged on an outdoor Trackman, I hit the 6 irons of each set.

Well I shouldn't have. The Tours were consistently 10m longer than the 32s and the Forged were 20m longer! Not yards but meters... granted the lofts are stronger on the forged but they are also more forgiving. I was very impressed and am really thinking of investing!

Honestly, irons are where the least amount of improvement has been seen. The changes in distance have mostly come from lofts being changed stronger through the set. There have been some improvements in the size of the sweet spot and forgiveness in the SGI category, but the average CB, MB, and blade are the same as they were 25 years ago. I currently play a set of Tommy Armour 845s that I put back in the back and hit them just as well as the newer irons I've had.

If you like the heads, you could always get a fitting and change out the shafts to something that better suits your swing. There have been some changes in shaft design over the last 15 years.

A bad day on the course is better than
a good day at work!
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1525460-docs-trouble-makers-part-deux/"]WITB Link[/url]

Yeah, i loved my circa-2000 DCI 990s...played them until 2015, then got a set of MP-64s 2 years ago (due to necessity - old set was damaged in a fire)

I guess there is probably ~5 yd difference due to the lofts, but otherwise, when I hit them well they feel about the same.

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

It's largely mental. If you think they are too old, they are. If you think they are good for being old because the distances are down cold, that's true too. If your going to try to muscle a 6 180 over a lake and then complain that an Apex would have made it, they're bad. If you are going to choke down on an old 4 and hit a 3/4 swing to the back in that situation, they're great.

Iron play is all about confidence, predictability and the ability to control ball flight. There is no "better" iron. It doesn't exist. It's like peter pans neverland - the most important thing is faith, not technology or brand.

Regardless of whether you think your irons are awesome or terrible, you're right.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Simple answer, NO!. I'd keep your money and get out playing again to see if you are able to stick with it. If you do, then maybe upgrade a wood or a putter, maybe wedges? But your irons, I'd play'em until they wear out. Don't pay any attention to the groove rule crap, I play in plenty of tournaments and this is not enforced at our levels. If you get better then maybe you can justify, but I'd stay clear of the noise and spending unnecessary funds.JMHO

This thread really rings true for me. About 15 or so years ago I bought my son his first set of clubs - Cleveland Quadpros on closeout. He played for a year or so but lost interest and really did not have the patience to learn the game. Last fall he decided he wanted to get back into the game and I bought him a series of lessons for Christmas. He is back into the game and striking the ball very well. His instructor said the irons are fine for his game and no real need to upgrade. Now granted the lofts are more traditional and he is hitting a 7 when I am hitting an 8 by today's standards but the old Quadpros still work for him. He will probably upgrade at some point but for now the oldies but goodies are serving him well!

Mike

In my opinion the one set that is truly on to something is the Mizuno MP-H5. Good looking irons at address, minimal offset in the short and mids with exceptional forgiveness and a higher launch and lower spin than any player's iron I've hit. They are really a unicorn. Blades, most forged cavities, and even game improvement irons haven't changed a ton, except all the lofts keep getting stronger and stronger.

In my opinion the one set that is truly on to something is the Mizuno MP-H5. Good looking irons at address, minimal offset in the short and mids with exceptional forgiveness and a higher launch and lower spin than any player's iron I've hit. They are really a unicorn. Blades, most forged cavities, and even game improvement irons haven't changed a ton, except all the lofts keep getting stronger and stronger.

Toll, with your take on the MP-H5s, I am curious what your opinion of the H4s is? Do you think there was a markedly better improvement between the models? I saw someone comparing them to the TM P750s the other day with respect to looks at address, feel at impact and launch characteristics. The comparison was sort of a strawman argument suggesting the H4 and H5 series were the poor mans P750/770s.

Sorry, don't mean to threadjack, but when someone like yourself (who literally tests so many different clubs extensively) calls out one set specifically as a unicorn, it peaks my interest!

Edit: The reason for my inquiry - I am looking to start competing in 2018, so I need to replace my CG1 Black Pearls with something conforming. As another member I have respect for on this sight pointed out, the obvious answer is the CG1 tours which seem to be a variant of the black pearls made for tour players using the irons to have a conforming version. But I would like to do a full scale search before swapping irons. If you prefer to PM me, feel free! Or not respond at all for that matter, lol.

OP, as others have suggested, I believe you need to play what works. Obviously, you will need to get a set of conforming irons if you ever intend to compete in a cc regulated event, but otherwise I'd say just game what works for you. Distance control is the absolute most important area of ball striking in my opinion. I can hit a set of Ping Gs a mile high and a mile long, but I know exactly where my OLD cg1s are going when they leave the face. This makes game/course management MUCH easier and limits my bogey rate. I would recommend looking around and demoin/testing other offerings if you want, but don't switch just to switch. Make sure you have subjective AND objective validation for changing.

Toll, with your take on the MP-H5s, I am curious what your opinion of the H4s is? Do you think there was a markedly better improvement between the models? I saw someone comparing them to the TM P750s the other day with respect to looks at address, feel at impact and launch characteristics. The comparison was sort of a strawman argument suggesting the H4 and H5 series were the poor mans P750/770s.

Sorry, don't mean to threadjack, but when someone like yourself (who literally tests so many different clubs extensively) calls out one set specifically as a unicorn, it peaks my interest!

Edit: The reason for my inquiry - I am looking to start competing in 2018, so I need to replace my CG1 Black Pearls with something conforming. As another member I have respect for on this sight pointed out, the obvious answer is the CG1 tours which seem to be a variant of the black pearls made for tour players using the irons to have a conforming version. But I would like to do a full scale search before swapping irons. If you prefer to PM me, feel free! Or not respond at all for that matter, lol.

I appreciate that. The 4's to me just look a little chunkier and leaning a little more into game improvement. The 5's have a little more MP look at address, especially in the short and mids. For me, the 4's spin a bit more than the 5's as well. If given the choice I would go 5's all day, however I do play UDI 3 and irons so those irons in the Mizuno are not relevant to my choice.

I am a strong believer in stopping the ball more with trajectory than spin. I prefer to drop the spin rate on clubs but hit them high. I can always create a lower launch or add spin as needed, but cutting spin is not so easy. The 5's launch high, cut the spin back and are 1/2 club longer than my MP64 or MP54 irons with identical shaft and spec set ups. The one "drawback" is that they fly dead straight. Very hard to draw or fade more than a couple yards. I can't quite get used to that, so I still play MP54 irons when it counts, but I'm trying to get comfortable with not being able to move the ball around a lot. These things truly are a forged, semi game improvement club that looks and feels like a Mizuno MP.

I appreciate that. The 4's to me just look a little chunkier and leaning a little more into game improvement. The 5's have a little more MP look at address, especially in the short and mids. For me, the 4's spin a bit more than the 5's as well. If given the choice I would go 5's all day, however I do play UDI 3 and irons so those irons in the Mizuno are not relevant to my choice.

I am a strong believer in stopping the ball more with trajectory than spin. I prefer to drop the spin rate on clubs but hit them high. I can always create a lower launch or add spin as needed, but cutting spin is not so easy. The 5's launch high, cut the spin back and are 1/2 club longer than my MP64 or MP54 irons with identical shaft and spec set ups. The one "drawback" is that they fly dead straight. Very hard to draw or fade more than a couple yards. I can't quite get used to that, so I still play MP54 irons when it counts, but I'm trying to get comfortable with not being able to move the ball around a lot. These things truly are a forged, semi game improvement club that looks and feels like a Mizuno MP.

Thanks for the feedback. I've gamed MP 57s, 62s and 4s so I am certainly familiar with Mizuno sticks. The one thing that seems to scare me a bit relative to the H5s is the amount of bounce. The Black Pearls I play have very little bounce and I hit them well - the other MPs I've gamed were similar in that regard. Did you notice any major difference in turf interaction? Obviously the difference between 54/64 and H5s is less than the difference in the offerings I've mentioned, but still curious. After a quick eBay search, It looks like I can find H5s at reasonable prices right now, too.

Thanks for the feedback. I've gamed MP 57s, 62s and 4s so I am certainly familiar with Mizuno sticks. The one thing that seems to scare me a bit relative to the H5s is the amount of bounce. The Black Pearls I play have very little bounce and I hit them well - the other MPs I've gamed were similar in that regard. Did you notice any major difference in turf interaction? Obviously the difference between 54/64 and H5s is less than the difference in the offerings I've mentioned, but still curious. After a quick eBay search, It looks like I can find H5s at reasonable prices right now, too.

The leading edge and turf interaction is excellent. The sole is a bit thicker but it's cambered off in the back so there is no grabbing. Where the 5-7 really shine is out of the rough. The sole goes through the thick grass easily and the ball jumps up quickly. The 5-6 are as easy to hit as the 7-8.