How long will Justin Thomas' swing last before he gets injured?

Guy has just won his first major and we are already talking about his demise...

Haters gonna hate...

there's medication for that now

[color=#4B0082]T[/color][color=#800080]our[/color][color=#4B0082] E[/color][color=#800080]xotics [/color][color=#FF0000]E [/color][color=#000000]10 [/color][color=#800080]15*[/color]
[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="#ff0000"]Sri[/color][/font][color=#000000]xon 785's w/G P stnd. cord [/color]
[color=#0000CD]Mizuno T 7 52 T 20 56 &60[/color]
Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
[color=#006400]Oregon Ducks Bag[/color]
Eureka Ca. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he will be okay because of his body type. I haven't heard of many guys getting hurt from having an aggressive swing as much as I've heard of injuries from guys getting aggressive in the gym. As long as he doesn't go that route I think he'll be okay. I'd be interested to see what his game would be like when he loses that firepower since that's really his identity as a golfer. And he's not big so when he loses it, you will really notice. Not like DJ who will always be stupid long

Thomas works out with Kolby Wayne(Lexi Thompson, Bud Cauley, etc.) who affiliated with Joey D (DJ, Koepka, etc.).

What I mean is you don't see him deadlifting insane weights or pushing his body to the limit in workouts. From what I've seen he's going about it the right way. Right now at least

We don't know with certainty what caused Tigers knee or back injuries, was it his golf swing, was it repetitive use, poor form weight lifting or Navy SEAL training. I don't think every guy who swings a club hard is destined for back or knee problems and really until Tiger I don't remember it being discussed as much as it is today.

JT is a young guy who is very lean and flexible so I see no reason to believe he is susceptible to an injury due to his swing in the near future.

Driver - Home Callaway Epic Flash   Away Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Apex CF-19 5-SW
Wedge - PXG 58* 
Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB

Fast hips are reminiscent of Tiger in his 20s. At least he doesn't appear to be snapping his left knee.. He definitely resembles Tigers physique in his early 20s. Let's hope he doesn't start lifting. Was stunned to see Tiger is putting and doing some light lifting. I guess running will be next. No wonder he needs his drug cocktails..

Lifting has nothing to do with it. It's all about torques that you place on muscles and joints; not the amount of muscle you have. Besides, unless JT starts taking roids, he will NOT get big and muscular because A) his genetics will not support that type of body and B) he is not lifting/eating to gain much mass. One can be strong without being huge. Tiger chose to get big, and he had massive torque being placed on his back and knees due to his restrictive swing. Almost every single pro golfer lifts weights or trains in the gym in some fashion, even the guys who look like all they do is eat twinkies.

There's been at least 1 extremely popular thread about this entire subject. You may want to go read it.

good to see that some random person knows all about "his genetics"...

:rolleyes:

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

Fast hips are reminiscent of Tiger in his 20s. At least he doesn't appear to be snapping his left knee.. He definitely resembles Tigers physique in his early 20s. Let's hope he doesn't start lifting. Was stunned to see Tiger is putting and doing some light lifting. I guess running will be next. No wonder he needs his drug cocktails..

Lifting has nothing to do with it. It's all about torques that you place on muscles and joints; not the amount of muscle you have. Besides, unless JT starts taking roids, he will NOT get big and muscular because A) his genetics will not support that type of body and B) he is not lifting/eating to gain much mass. One can be strong without being huge. Tiger chose to get big, and he had massive torque being placed on his back and knees due to his restrictive swing. Almost every single pro golfer lifts weights or trains in the gym in some fashion, even the guys who look like all they do is eat twinkies.

There's been at least 1 extremely popular thread about this entire subject. You may want to go read it.

good to see that some random person knows all about "his genetics"...

:rolleyes:

giphy.gif

SIM 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"

SIM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X

MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

He had some wrist issues this year

that's impossible. He has a cute girlfriend

Ping G400 LST 8.5 Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI
Cobra LTD PRO / Graffaloy Blue
Cobra F6 Baffler  16 Atmos 7
Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Atmos 7
Nike Ignite 7 wood 21*
Ping iBlade 3-pw DG XP S300/Original Nike Blades 3-PW s300
RTX 3.0 50,  Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 
Toulon Columbus

The crazy thing is that there is discussion about this move or that move resulting in him injuring himself.

Seems like to me that some people just end up hurt and others don't from doing exactly the same thing. Sure there are things that can be done to reduce the chances of hit happening but for the most part, having watched sports of all kinds for pretty much all of my years, there appears to be no rhyme nor reason as to why people end up injured.

Thomas' swing might hurt him, it might not. If he changed his swing and wrapped himself in cotton wool, he might still hurt himself, he might not.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

I think he will be okay because of his body type. I haven't heard of many guys getting hurt from having an aggressive swing as much as I've heard of injuries from guys getting aggressive in the gym. As long as he doesn't go that route I think he'll be okay. I'd be interested to see what his game would be like when he loses that firepower since that's really his identity as a golfer. And he's not big so when he loses it, you will really notice. Not like DJ who will always be stupid long

Can you give links to who has reported being hurt being aggressive in the gym?

Can you give links to who has reported being hurt being aggressive in the gym?

Nope. Don't have any links. A few guys that are well known for being relentless pursuers of exercise coincidentally have also had injuries.. Rory, Jason, Tiger... Who knows about the other lesser known golfers

Edit: Personally I had a friend that was a crazy good junior golfer, he had a great work ethic and determination. Still does. But sometime in high school he discovered what heavy lifting will do for your physique. One day he pushed too hard and tore a ligament in his shoulder. His game was never the same.

Hes very thin (150 pounds ) and lanky/wirey. He does lash at driver violently but he seems to have that Sergio Garcia physique that ages well. you rarely see Thomas lash out of rough like vintage Tiger but you never know how he ages. Im sure he'll fill out some more and he does work out regularly ( lots of strectching anf flexibility drills).

Tiger had for years a massive drop in his swing which compressed his spine at an odd angle. I don't see that in JT's swing. Not crazy about the dance move after impact, but if it lessens the torque on his knee, then probably good. I wish we could drop the Tiger-Seal meme. Tiger did some PretendI'maSEAL stuff, they even let him come play with them, but in no way did he duplicate what they undergo. Except, maybe, running in combat boots.

I'd say the bigger danger is just getting the workout bug. We've gotta get away from this insane fit golf body for a couple reasons. 1. They seem to not play as well or consistently once bulked and 2. Makes me look bad relative to the guys at my club. Darn people all so fit now. Where's the place for the soft bodies?

I seem to remember a buffed Tiger playing the most consistant golf of anyone in the world for about 10 years. I even remember all the articles telling us the reason he was winning was because of his workouts:) Seriously guys like Tiger, Justin Thomas, Rory, Jordan Spieth, Phil MIckelson, Bubba,.... all workout out. The ones that look ripped are the ones that eat healthy. The doughy looking ones just have poor diet.

As for your second point. Your a not a pro trying to optimize your golf performance. Nobody cares if you chose to be a fattie.

everyone gets injured at some point

start a thread with all us weekend warriors and see how many of us are injured. You dont have to have a certain type of motion or swing speed to get hurt

I myself am fighting tendonitis, is it from the gym (maybe) is it from typing at work and on wrx (maybe) is it from too much golf ( maybe) but lets be real we all get injuries and we don't play 6/7 days a week 4 in tourney conditions.

TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

Less than 5 years. He has a very thin and small frame. There's no way it will tolerate that type of abuse into his 30's without constant injury. Big guys like Vijay, Els, Phil, can swing hard faiy effortlessly and have the frame to withstand it. Small guys who attack the ball always end up injured like Tiger, Rory, Day, etc. Their small framed bodies just don't deal with the torque and shock long term without constant injury.

I agree with some of the others that JT doesn't really have the body type that would typically cause problems. He also is very under-rated with the wedge and putter. I think he can dial it back some as he gets older and still do really well.

[size=3]2020 WITB[/size]
[size=3]Driver: Callaway Rogue Sub-Zero 10.5* - Aldila Rogue Max 75x[/size]
[size=3]3 Wood: Callaway Epic 15* - Aldila Rogue Max 85x[/size]
[size=3]2-PW: Callaway X-Prototype MBs - Project X 6.5 flighted[/size]
[size=3]52* Wedge: Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind[/size]
[size=3]58* Wedge: Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind[/size]
[size=3]Putter: Odyssey Sabertooth[/size]

I am going to say never, he is flexible with the right body type. If he tries to bulk up then he will get hurt from that not an aggressive swing.

TM SIM Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM SIM 19 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM GAPR Mid 4 iron 20 Fujikara Fuel
TM GAPR Mid 5 iron 23 Aldila RIP 
TM P790 6 Nippon Modus 3 130, Black 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
TM Milled Grind Satin 58 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

For the last few decades there has been a fitness/ PT trailer on site at every tournament for the pros to work out, stretch, get injuries worked on, etc.

Almost every pro is in there regularily if only for maintenance and injury prevention. Even the pros that don't lift are in there trying to extend/keep range of motion to prevent injuries. Every pro knows its all too easy to get injured from travel, amt of balls hit and new beds every week.

One of the biggest changes lately is tailoring swing to body flexibility/ rom and type.

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0