2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New SM7's

Leonard Washington

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please let the raw option be an option!

I hope so since I spent a lot of money on four a couple hours ago...

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

If the release timeline stays the same, they should be released in March of 2018. Rumor is there is a raw option coming to retail.

Well it took a little while...but it did happen. If only they were a standard option and not still an up-charge through Wedge Works

I'm a little concerned by their claim of a new heat treating process to make the raw wedges as durable as chrome plated wedges. Why would I want this? One of the reasons we all like raw wedges is because they feel better than chrome plated wedges. If they're making the metal harder, I'm worried about losing that. I don't expect durability from raw wedges.

EDIT: Response to me from Vokey Wedges on Twitter:

Voke shares your concern. Feel is a critical component & Voke challenged his team - we can do this as long as we don't sacrifice our feel. We blind tested this heat treatment on tour, and players were unable to tell the difference. Voke personally conducted several of the tests

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

If the release timeline stays the same, they should be released in March of 2018. Rumor is there is a raw option coming to retail.

Well it took a little while...but it did happen. If only they were a standard option and not still an up-charge through Wedge Works

I'm a little concerned by their claim of a new heat treating process to make the raw wedges as durable as chrome plated wedges. Why would I want this? One of the reasons we all like raw wedges is because they feel better than chrome plated wedges. If they're making the metal harder, I'm worried about losing that. I don't expect durability from raw wedges.

I don’t like the sound of the heat treat either! No way the tour heads are getting this treatment...hope I’m wrong. Maybe somebody in the know can confirm...

I don’t like the sound of the heat treat either! No way the tour heads are getting this treatment...hope I’m wrong. Maybe somebody in the know can confirm...

I edited my post that you quoted to include their response to me on Twitter. They did blind testing with Tour players, but leaves open the question of what's going to be on Tour. I also have doubts they'd these heat treated heads would end up on Tour.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

I edited my post that you quoted to include their response to me on Twitter. They did blind testing with Tour players, but leaves open the question of what's going to be on Tour. I also have doubts they'd these heat treated heads would end up on Tour.

I call BS on vokeys marketing team response. Metal is metal; if you heat treat it to the point of making it more durable, the feel will change

It's funny, and predictable, that an element of the vocal minority of folks demanding raw wedges will always find some way to complain when they are given what they asked for. Wedgeworks only, price is too high, heat treating for durability is unacceptable, etc. Just be honest, what they really want is exactly what the Tour players play (of course not all the Tour players play raw wedges), but at retail (or less to be honest) prices, which isn't realistic.

If Titleist thought they could sell a high volume of raw wedges, then they would be available in the retail line and not a Wedgeworks exclusive.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

I'll just get jet black or whatever it's called and if I want to strip em I will, I'll save myself the money

Taylormade M2 10.5° [color=#0000ff]Graphite Design AD-BB 7x[/color]
Titleist 913 FD 15° [color=#a9a9a9]Diamana 'Ahina 70x[/color]
Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron [color=#a9a9a9]Accra 110i[/color]
Titleist 716 MB 4-PW [color=#0000ff]Project X 6.0[/color]
Vokey [color=#000000]Jet Black [/color]SM7 52° 56° 60° [color=#000000]S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx[/color]
Scotty Cameron Newport [color=#daa520]Teryllium[/color] Sole Stamp

It's funny, and predictable, that an element of the vocal minority of folks demanding raw wedges will always find some way to complain when they are given what they asked for. Wedgeworks only, price is too high, heat treating for durability is unacceptable, etc. Just be honest, what they really want is exactly what the Tour players play (of course not all the Tour players play raw wedges), but at retail (or less to be honest) prices, which isn't realistic.

If Titleist thought they could sell a high volume of raw wedges, then they would be available in the retail line and not a Wedgeworks exclusive.

This.

Does anyone really think that Titleist execs give a crap about the average player and what they really want? The answer is simply no.

They're going to mass produce what the masses will buy, which is pretty much anything since the Titleist name sells itself. If Titleist wanted to design a 70* wedge and got ONE staffer to hit it on a TOUR range with one picture on IG....it'll sell.

They produce the Raw finish to keep people intrigued, keep the Wedgeworks name relevant and make people think they're playing TOUR goods...

Titleist TSR3 (8*) w/ AD-DI 6x

Titleist TSi3 (15*) w/ AD-DI 8x

Titleist TSR3 (19*) w/ AD-DI Hybird 85x 

Titleist TS3 (21*) w/ AD-DI Hybrid 85x

T100S 5-PW w/ PX LZ 6.0 Blackout

Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks 50F-54D-60T w/ TT DG S400

Toulon First Run San Diego w/ KBS TourGPS

$195 for raw? Yikes. Why do we have to pay more for them to do less work?

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 70x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

I'll just get jet black or whatever it's called and if I want to strip em I will, I'll save myself the money

+1

Treated myself to a raw SM5 58 K when they were released. Great club and patina’d really well. Love it. At the same time I stripped an SM5 50 and a TVD K 54.

Don’t think I’d go raw again. I’d just strip black. It goes deeper grey than rusty but looks really nice and wears superbly well (and, feels the same).

Ping G410 LST 9* Tour AD-IZ 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* AD-IZ 7S
Ping G430 17* Tour 2.0 Chrome 
Titleist 818 23* AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5-iron, AMT White S300
Miura TC-201 6-9, AMT White S300
Vokey SM8 46*, Vokey SM7 50*, Ping S159 54*, Vokey SM8 58* LBK, S300
L.A.B Mezz 1, Accra

This.

Does anyone really think that Titleist execs give a crap about the average player and what they really want? The answer is simply no.

They're going to mass produce what the masses will buy, which is pretty much anything since the Titleist name sells itself. If Titleist wanted to design a 70* wedge and got ONE staffer to hit it on a TOUR range with one picture on IG....it'll sell.

They produce the Raw finish to keep people intrigued, keep the Wedgeworks name relevant and make people think they're playing TOUR goods...

The problem is, some people think the Golfwrx majority opinion represents the average player. It does not. What we talk about and what some of the members here want, and complain about if they don't get it, represents a minuscule portion of the golfing public.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Some people will b**** if you hang them with new rope.

Gamer/Backup
Driver: PING G410 LST 9 w/ EF Black 6.5; Cobra LTD PRO w/ Speeder 661 iv and Cobra F8+ with Evenflow Blue 65 6.5
3wd: TEE CB Pro 14.5 Speeder 757 stiff; 
5wd: Cobra F6 Baffler set at 17.5; Titleist 915 2H
3H- Titleist 915 2H dialed up in loft to 19; Ping G with Evenflow Blue 85 6.0
4 iron: G400 Crossover; G400 green dot CFS stiff, It's stamped 5 iron but power spec at 22* I use it as 4 iron; N/A
5-PW: Ping i15 green dot AWT stiff; PXG 0211 w/ Elevate Tour VSS Pro stiff
52/12 F: Vokey sm8 2 up; 52/12 F Vokey SM7
58/12 d: Vokey sm8 2 up; 58/12 d Vokey sm7 
Putter: Taylormade Spider Platinum; Ping Anser Milled 5; Nike Method Matter B2-05
Ball: Wilson FG Tour

i'm not all worked up about the whole raw thing, but what DOES kinda hack me off is that our pros were told that they couldn't keep it at a D5 swingweight because i ordered them longer.

well that's fuggin BS. if they're going to say that stock SW is a D5, then they have to have the heads sorted by weight, so that people ordering shafts lighter than the S400 can still measure out correctly. all they have to do is take heads that are meant for the lighter shafts, slap it on my S400, and get it back to a D5 like they're supposed to be.

what happened to proper fitting?

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

i'm not all worked up about the whole raw thing, but what DOES kinda hack me off is that our pros were told that they couldn't keep it at a D5 swingweight because i ordered them longer.

well that's fuggin BS. if they're going to say that stock SW is a D5, then they have to have the heads sorted by weight, so that people ordering shafts lighter than the S400 can still measure out correctly. all they have to do is take heads that are meant for the lighter shafts, slap it on my S400, and get it back to a D5 like they're supposed to be.

A 1/2" Longer would equal +3 SW points. Taking a heavier head, usually 2 grams or so heavier mated to light shafts ( brings the sw up to offset the lighter shaft ) would only take your sw from stock D5 to the D6.5 if ordering + 1/4 or to D8 if + 1/2". The heavier 2 gram head that mates in the lighter shaft should yield a D9 SW then. Sounds like you need to weight port.

TSr3 8° VENTUS RED TR 7X

TSr3 3W 15° VENTUS RED TR 8X

2023 T200 2/17°

2023 T200 4-PW, GW

SM10 52, 58 M-Grind

PIRETTI POTENZA WB

TitleistSmaller.jpg.5bc014a5893add877cc9ffa452af52bd.jpg

Which of the Finishes out of Brushed Steel and Tour Chrome looks closest to the Raw finish?

Love the look of the Raw finish but cant deal with the rust!

IMO the Tour Chrome look like a brand new raw Vokey, slightly different because the raw shows more of the grain. Really good look with a duller/matte chrome finish. The brushed steel has a darker chrome finish, slightly mirrored, has what appears to be a sand blasted face for contrast, but shows bag chatter something awful. The Raw Black finish can be removed with distilled white vinegar and a scotch brite pad, leaving a darker raw finish that really doesn't rust. You can search the WRX forums for "how to remove" finish on Vokeys.

Thanks for the help. i have bitten the bullet and ordered 50,54 and 58 in tour chrome! i like the look of brushed steel but i have seen pictures of the marks on them from bag chatter already! i like the sound of a raw finish that doesn't rust may have to try that and order a spare wedge in the black finish and remove it! gives me an excuse to order a D Grind!

Placed my order through Discount Dan's Monday. Tour Chrome 48*F 1* weak with TI X100, as well as 54*S straight in, and 60*S 1* strong with TI S400 all 2* up and 1/4" long with red MCC+4 +2 wraps and a 3rd wrap under bottom hand.

TaylorMade SiM 6.5* Graphite Design AD HD 6x Tipped 1"
Titleist TSR2+ 3w (C1) 12.25*  Tensei 1K Black 75x

Titleist TSi3 17* (C1) Hybrid Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour spec HB 8.8X 

Titleist U505 4i Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Titleist T100S 5i-PW Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Vokey SM9 48*F, 53*F, 58*S DG TI Onyx S400's
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

Maybe they are just trying to get you to pay the up-charge for weight adjustments on WedgeWorks which wouldn't surprise me.

I currently have the SM6's in 50.08F, 56.10S (knocked down to 55 degrees), and 60.08M with Project X 6.5 Shafts (lengthened 1/4"). I am okay with the 6.5's in the 50 and 55, but want a softer shaft in the new SM7 60 I buy. Do you guys recommend just putting a PX 6.0 in the 60? Not sure what that will do with the swing weight with a lighter shaft that is lengthened 1/4". Any recommendations?

Anybody try these out yet with the project x lz shaft? That's what I have in my irons but always curious if anyone has feedback positive or negative...

I have a set of SM6 with Project X LZ 6.5 in them. (same shafts in my irons) I like them a lot. I didn't think the shaft would make a big difference, but I tried a different set of SM6 with Nippon 125 Wedge and I couldn't get comfortable with them in my practice round. I'm guessing I could get used to them, but I switched back to my set with LZ and it was back to normal.

But, please keep in mind I have used X flex shafts in my wedges for a while. I know it's not necessary, and that most golfers (including high swing speed pros) use stiff for feel, but it's what I'm used to.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

I just ordered the Raws in 50.08 F, 54.10 S, and 58.12 D with DG Tour Black Onyx S400's. Been using forged wedges for over 8 years now (miura, callaway md2 tour, etc.) so hopefully I'll adjust to the difference in feel quickly. Excited to get these.

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black (90x)
Miura MB101 (4-PW) with KBS Black $ Taper (130x)
Vokey SM8 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS Black $ Taper 
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

A 1/2" Longer would equal +3 SW points. Taking a heavier head, usually 2 grams or so heavier mated to light shafts ( brings the sw up to offset the lighter shaft ) would only take your sw from stock D5 to the D6.5 if ordering + 1/4 or to D8 if + 1/2". The heavier 2 gram head that mates in the lighter shaft should yield a D9 SW then. Sounds like you need to weight port.

i'm saying that to keep it at a D5 with say a steelfiber 103 or whatever shaft, they have to have a lighter head to pair up with it. instead of using that light head with a graphite, regular, or senior flex, put it on my lengthened S400.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

I just ordered the Raws in 50.08 F, 54.10 S, and 58.12 D with DG Tour Black Onyx S400's. Been using forged wedges for over 8 years now (miura, callaway md2 tour, etc.) so hopefully I'll adjust to the difference in feel quickly. Excited to get these.

I will likely get this exact setup, unless I get the 58 08 M instead of the D. I think the wedge fitter recommended the D grind instead of the M, but I've always used a lower bounce Lob wedge. I'm a little worried it might take a little bit to adjust. But, if the D grind is everything it's supposed to be, it won't be an issue.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish