New SM7's

Leonard Washington

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried out a D grind 60 and even though it was off mats I have to say it sure setup great in all position. Still wish they would make a forged vokeys but much better than the past two generation vokeys in my opinion.

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

They have been making forged heads for Japan for years. I have just watched Shiels give a very honest review on how bad the new finishes hold up. I like the look of the black but not if it is going to scratch after a few bunker shots.

If you want to hide wear you have to go with the chrome, it was like that with the SM6 as well. I had both the grey and black and they started to show wear quickly. I ordered the jet black on the 7s and just stripped my black 6s last week. If you strip the black they turn a Smokey color and start to rust quickly.

They have been making forged heads for Japan for years. I have just watched Shiels give a very honest review on how bad the new finishes hold up. I like the look of the black but not if it is going to scratch after a few bunker shots.
Did you catch that thing he said about the brushed steel having a raw finish that will rust??? His wedge had a sticker on the shaft... I think he actually got a raw wedge bc none of my wedges had that sticker on it.

do we know if we can strip any of the finishes of the sm7? The same way we could the sm6

White vinegar works well. As I am sure you have previously read, the stripped version of the club will “feel different” than the raw version.

Personally, I can’t feel any difference between the SM5 I stripped and the SM5 Raw I got.

100% Titleist bag here and won’t order raw again. Just as happy with feel and patina stripping a black head.

Yes the black heads are heat treated (apparently the new raw heads are too anyway...) but if you’re contact is good, that’s all you need worry about

Ping G410 LST 9* Tour AD-IZ 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* AD-IZ 7S
Ping G430 hybrid 17* & 22*, Tour 2.0 Chrome 

Titleist T150 5-iron, AMT White S300
Miura TC-201 6-9, AMT White S300
Vokey SM8 46*, Vokey SM7 50*, Ping S159 54*, Vokey SM8 58* LBK, S300
L.A.B Mezz 1, Accra

Did you catch that thing he said about the brushed steel having a raw finish that will rust??? His wedge had a sticker on the shaft... I think he actually got a raw wedge bc none of my wedges had that sticker on it.

Hi did say that. Wouldn’t surprise me if he got muddled, as he sometimes does.

The three finishes he had were definitely stock retail, no raw. So either he was looking at the wrong club when he commented on the sticker, or, Titleist have stickered a plated head (less likely).

EDIT: In fact in this pick you can see the brushed steel club doesn’t have that extra sticker on the shaft about rust. But the black head does. Methinks Rick got a bit muddled.

Ping G410 LST 9* Tour AD-IZ 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* AD-IZ 7S
Ping G430 hybrid 17* & 22*, Tour 2.0 Chrome 

Titleist T150 5-iron, AMT White S300
Miura TC-201 6-9, AMT White S300
Vokey SM8 46*, Vokey SM7 50*, Ping S159 54*, Vokey SM8 58* LBK, S300
L.A.B Mezz 1, Accra

Anyone know if you order the sm7 raw and don't select a saw will it come blank on the toe?

go through the customising and you can see exactly how they would look....

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Tried these yesterday afternoon. Wow they feel good.

Trigger pulled... 52, 58, 62 lefty in black.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Is anyone going with the K grind in the lob wedge? Haven't heard much chatter on here about that grind. Currently have the K grind in SM6...not sure whether to stick with it in the SM7 or try the D grind.

Thanks

K grind is fantastic around the greens and for bunker shot. where I don't care for it is on tight lies and full shots. all depends on what you use your lob wedge for I guess. If I could carry 20 clubs I would have a K grind 60 degree in the bag.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X 
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 13.5 Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18.0 Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Titleist T100 4-PW Project X 6.5
Titleist Vokey Raw SM8 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T with Black Onyx Tour Issue S400
Bettinardi Inovai 8.0 Black Friday Murdered Out Edition 34.5"

Is anyone going with the K grind in the lob wedge? Haven't heard much chatter on here about that grind. Currently have the K grind in SM6...not sure whether to stick with it in the SM7 or try the D grind.

Thanks

I think the D grind is going to purge a bunch of K grind users... The D is much much more versatile around the greens and when bunkers get a bit firm. I love the K grind, especially the new SM7 with 14º of bounce, on basic pitch shots but thats about all.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

Thanks

I’ve had the K grind the last 18 months and am moving to the D grind. The K is great out of bunkers but that is all I used it for. The D is even better out of bunkers, particularly tight lies to tight pins, is good around the greens and I can hit full shots with it which I never did with the K. Was a no brainer.

Thanks

I also gamed the K-grind in SM6 and went with the same in SM7. I primarily play my 60* out of the bunkers which vary in condition at my home track, which is why I love the wide-sole K grind.

Titleist TSR3 (8*) w/ AD-DI 6x

Titleist TSi3 (15*) w/ AD-DI 8x

Titleist TSR3 (19*) w/ AD-DI Hybird 85x 

Titleist TS3 (21*) w/ AD-DI Hybrid 85x

T100S 5-PW w/ PX LZ 6.0 Blackout

Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks 50F-54D-60T w/ TT DG S400

Toulon First Run San Diego w/ KBS TourGPS

Tried out the D grind on lunch break at GG. Chipped on their indoor greens and hit about 20 balls with it. Felt great and chipping felt good as well. No issues. My TVD M grind i play now is 10* bounce bent to 61.11 so i dont think the 2* is going to make a difference.

I bit the bullet and ordered a 60.12D RAW from DD bent to 61* with Black Onyx S400.

I see in your signature you have the back onyx already. Does the chipping not bother you or do you have a bag with individual holders?

I ordered an onyx on a 60* V grind 2 years ago and was terribly disappointed in how easily it chipped, especially down near the hosel.

Love the look but I don’t think I’d do it again.

Anyone have color on the Wedgeworks V grind vs the new SM7 D grind? Are these basically the same?

I think it’s actually closer to the wedgeworks “high bounce” M grind.

I have the V and the high bounce M and I think it looks to be somewhere in between the two, but much closer to the M.

I think Vokey perhaps decided mass marketing a “high bounce M grind” was a bit trickier than just calling it a new grind.

Edit....I haven’t seen the D in hand yet, I’m just judging by pictures.

Thanks

I think the D grind is going to purge a bunch of K grind users... The D is much much more versatile around the greens and when bunkers get a bit firm. I love the K grind, especially the new SM7 with 14º of bounce, on basic pitch shots but thats about all.

I agree - I've been a loyal K grind user since the first TVD-K came out. I love it out of the bunkers and on pitch shots, but it's just not versatile at all. I bought a 60 D grind hoping it will provide a good blend of bunker, short game, and "full" lob wedge performance.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

Anyone have color on the Wedgeworks V grind vs the new SM7 D grind? Are these basically the same?

I think it's actually closer to the wedgeworks "high bounce" M grind.

I have the V and the high bounce M and I think it looks to be somewhere in between the two, but much closer to the M.

I think Vokey perhaps decided mass marketing a "high bounce M grind" was a bit trickier than just calling it a new grind.

Edit....I haven't seen the D in hand yet, I'm just judging by pictures.

The D is the high bounce M... marketed to the masses with a new grind designation. It's fantastic!!! This pic is an example of my high bounce M and the new D

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

Thanks

I agree - I've been a loyal K grind user since the first TVD-K came out. I love it out of the bunkers and on pitch shots, but it's just not versatile at all. I bought a 60 D grind hoping it will provide a good blend of bunker, short game, and "full" lob wedge performance.

Interested in this. Please post your thoughts once you get to try the D grind out. Been a K grind for a long time.

Thanks

Interested in this. Please post your thoughts once you get to try the D grind out. Been a K grind for a long time.

Thanks - I will. We're going on vacation this weekend and I'm bringing it with me. I'll post my thoughts when I get back.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

I think Vokey perhaps decided mass marketing a "high bounce M grind" was a bit trickier than just calling it a new grind.

The D is the high bounce M... marketed to the masses with a new grind designation. It's fantastic!!! This pic is an example of my high bounce M and the new D

Oh. Cool. I almost forgot this was WRX and someone almost surely had both by now!! Lol!!

I assumed it was pretty darn close. Looks like the D has just a little bit more heel relief, which is nice because I thought the high bounce M needed that feature on tight lies.

That D is going to be popular. Think I’ll do a 58.

Tried out the D grind on lunch break at GG. Chipped on their indoor greens and hit about 20 balls with it. Felt great and chipping felt good as well. No issues. My TVD M grind i play now is 10* bounce bent to 61.11 so i dont think the 2* is going to make a difference.

I bit the bullet and ordered a 60.12D RAW from DD bent to 61* with Black Onyx S400.

I see in your signature you have the back onyx already. Does the chipping not bother you or do you have a bag with individual holders?

I ordered an onyx on a 60* V grind 2 years ago and was terribly disappointed in how easily it chipped, especially down near the hosel.

Love the look but I don’t think I’d do it again.

No chipping issues. Mine have held up very well, 4 years and counting.
  • AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

So what is the difference between the V grind versus high bounce M (now D) grind?

So what is the difference between the V grind versus high bounce M (now D) grind?

I owned the V as well. The V has the bounce in the middle of the sole vs the rear and does not have the same heel and toe relief. I would not consider the V and M to be alike at all in playability.
  • Tour B XS

I owned the V as well. The V has the bounce in the middle of the sole vs the rear and does not have the same heel and toe relief. I would not consider the V and M to be alike at all in playability.

How does that translate into differences in play-ability? Is one more suited for a certain type of swing?

How does that translate into differences in play-ability? Is one more suited for a certain type of swing?

V being higher bounce, is meant for thicker, soggier, conditions and is excellent from the bunkers. Its not great off tight lies and hard pan. I had to use trajectory to stop pitch shots where as with my M grinds i can hit low checking spinners. YMMV

• Tour B XS

Does anyone know when the RAW versions are shipping and when they will be in hand?

TSI3 9 Pro White
TSI2 15  Pro White

TSI2 18  Pro Blue/MIZUNO FLI-HI 3 Iron Pro White
PXG 0311T P-7/0311P 6-4
VOKEY SM7 RAW 52F 08
VOKEY SM7 RAW 56S 10
VOKEY SM7 RAW 60L 04
CAMERON NEWPORT 2/CAMERON 6M
PRO V1X