New SM7's

Leonard Washington

This is interesting. I was fitted into a 54.08 M.

I was looking at the ATV sole next to the M and the toe looks similar but the heel in the ATV has much more material removed. It looks like the M grind has too much "meat" around the heel.

This wedge is perfect in every other situation. I can open the face and flop it, I can flight it low, good out of the rough, and love it from the fairway.

In the bunkers, it almost feels like I can't get it under the ball. It's not sticking or digging, rather it almost causes a full on skull.

It's like those flops off hardpan... If you are even a tiny bit off, skull city. It could be my technique... I open the face a lot, and almost try to flop it out of the bunkers... Maybe my AOA is too shallow?

I nearly always use my 60* M-grind Vokey out of greenside bunkers, and unless it's really buried I think my technique is typically to open it a little and take relatively little sand and just skim it out of there. That way the lower bounce doesn't dig too much, I get more spin, and it feels more comfortable to just control how far I fly it that way than figure out how much the club is going to dig/bounce or run out in various conditions.

I've never thought about it, but I imagine my angle of attack is a little steeper (which comes naturally to me), more v-shaped (or at least that's how I think about it), to make sure the club slides under and continues moving when the ball is coming out.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not seen them in the flesh yet but I’m not overly excited about the SM7’s. The D grind looks interesting but other than that...

Shiels mentioned the finishes in his review, the chrome being the only one that didn’t look terrible after a few hits. Has anyone else found this?

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

I was looking at the ATV sole next to the M and the toe looks similar but the heel in the ATV has much more material removed. It looks like the M grind has too much "meat" around the heel.

This wedge is perfect in every other situation. I can open the face and flop it, I can flight it low, good out of the rough, and love it from the fairway.

In the bunkers, it almost feels like I can't get it under the ball. It's not sticking or digging, rather it almost causes a full on skull.

It's like those flops off hardpan... If you are even a tiny bit off, skull city. It could be my technique... I open the face a lot, and almost try to flop it out of the bunkers... Maybe my AOA is too shallow?

I nearly always use my 60* M-grind Vokey out of greenside bunkers, and unless it's really buried I think my technique is typically to open it a little and take relatively little sand and just skim it out of there. That way the lower bounce doesn't dig too much, I get more spin, and it feels more comfortable to just control how far I fly it that way than figure out how much the club is going to dig/bounce or run out in various conditions.

I've never thought about it, but I imagine my angle of attack is a little steeper (which comes naturally to me), more v-shaped (or at least that's how I think about it), to make sure the club slides under and continues moving when the ball is coming out.

All is well!!!

So the technique you described is exactly what I have done for as long as I can remember.

I went to the range and hit out of the bunker for for 20 min. Figured it out right away. I was coming in way too shallow and weight too far back.

Hit out of good lies, bad, hardpan, wet sand... Feeling confident once again!!!

I have not seen them in the flesh yet but I’m not overly excited about the SM7’s. The D grind looks interesting but other than that...

Shiels mentioned the finishes in his review, the chrome being the only one that didn’t look terrible after a few hits. Has anyone else found this?

I just saw these a few days ago. Did a bit of chipping with them and in my opinion:

1. I don't like the black finish at all (although good for those that want to strip them raw)

2. Brushed steel looks awful. Liked the SM6 steel grey much better

3. Chrome is good but a little too dull for my liking. (I have no issues with glare)

4. Colour scheme (paint fill) is a very blah.

5. Don't like bounce, grind and loft all squashed together on the toe.

6. They look BULKY!! Top line looks very thick and IMO the wedge is starting to look clunky.

I'm a big fan of Vokey wedges but I'm just not crazy about this release in terms of looks. Enough with the positioning of the COG. They're wedges. I can flight them myself thank you very much.

I'm probably being a bit harsh but those are my first impressions.

The M is the most versatile and great from all over. Just not so automatic from the bunkers.
Did you figure out why?

I went to the 58.08m from the TM EF groove Tp 58 w/ the ATV grind.

In the bunker the new wedge feels like it gets kicked up into the ball and it comes out much faster, farther, and no spin...

I've always opened up the face, and hit high soft bunker shots that have very little release...

Is my technique off?

Having never seen your swing, it's hard to answer that question. However, as a previous M grind owner, I'll throw out a guess as to what may be going on. There's not a ton of bounce on your new wedge, and the M grind has so much material removed from the sole on both the heel and toe (heel/toe relief)....this combo makes it great for opening the face around the green and nipping the ball from tight lies; however, even with the club face open, it does not have a ton of bounce and has a tendency to "stick" a bit in the sand (especially if it's very soft sand) rather than passing thru the sand and allowing the club to impart spin....as a result, your ball shoots out at a bit lower trajectory with way less spin, and it runs past the hole. You were probably getting better results in the sand from your ATV because, even thought that club has a bit of heel relief, it presents a bit more bounce when the club face is open than the M grind does. A general rule is that bounce is your friend in the bunker (except hardpan). It's probably superb around the green, but it could be that this isn't the best wedge for you in the sand. Do you have a 54 or 56 w/ 12-14 degrees of bounce?

Probably not an issue with the bounce then....likely a technique problem. How deeply do you dig your feet into the sand on a bunker shot?? Doing so can help you bottom out the club underneath the ball a bit more. Another thing I think of if I'm struggling in the bunker.....pretend the ball is sitting on a tee (with the tee just under the sand) and try to sweep the tee out from under the ball without hitting the ball. Again, I haven't seen your swing, so if these are things you are already doing and are still struggling, I recommend getting a lesson and spending an hour in the bunker w/ a teaching pro. Good luck!

I just saw these a few days ago. Did a bit of chipping with them and in my opinion:

1. I don't like the black finish at all (although good for those that want to strip them raw)

3. Chrome is good but a little too dull for my liking. (I have no issues with glare)

6. They look BULKY!! Top line looks very thick and IMO the wedge is starting to look clunky.

I'm a big fan of Vokey wedges but I'm just not crazy about this release in terms of looks. Enough with the positioning of the COG. They're wedges. I can flight them myself thank you very much.

Thanks for this, I was really surprised and disappointed when I saw the finishes, the grey/gun metal finish has always been the best Imo. The top line on the 60 in particular looked really thick.

I won’t be rushing out to look at them.

Titleist - Pro V1

Thanks for this, I was really surprised and disappointed when I saw the finishes, the grey/gun metal finish has always been the best Imo. The top line on the 60 in particular looked really thick.

I won’t be rushing out to look at them.

I too noticed the thickness of the 58/60º wedges, but only when I'm holding them to my face... When in playing position I do not notice the thickness of the topline. I believe it would be much more noticeable on stronger lofts but that would contradict the design of the progressive center of gravity.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

Just ordered today via my club pro. Went all jet black with PX 6.0 rifle shafts and yellow multi compound grips. Cause I’m a McIlroy fan through thick and thin!

46.10.F

50.08.F

54.10.S

58.08.M

Wedges are the best part of my game, loving having versatility at the bottom of the bag.

Should have them before the end of next week along with my 4-9 718 AP2s. Excited is an understatement.

Wait, I thought you had re-ordered some P790s. Why the switch to AP2s?

Ask kgeorge78, he's the one that changed my mind lol!

Just better overall numbers with the AP2s. More spin with a bit less distance but better front to back dispersion. Cuts through the rough a bit easier as well, which is where I spend most of my time when I start spraying it with the big stick.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

I disagree with pretty much all of this lol

Loved the murdered out look of the black

They look great in person. I like my 6s but the 7s have a smoother look to them.

I do like the steel gray, wish they would’ve kept it.

I couldn’t care less what font/lettering/etc is on the toe.

Can’t wait to game em.

All 6 points are about aesthetics. Any points on performance?

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Good question - but a club has to pass the look test too doesnt it? Maybe not for some - but it definitely applies to me.

Regarding the head size question I posed earlier - I hit some balls and stopped in the shop to look at the sm7 up against my sm5. They really didnt look all that different side by side. Grabbed a sm6 and it looked microscopic compared to my 5. Same loft, grind. Weird. I stayed away from the sm6 due to the looks - but I could bag the 7s if I wanted.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

Good question - but a club has to pass the look test too doesnt it? Maybe not for some - but it definitely applies to me.

Regarding the head size question I posed earlier - I hit some balls and stopped in the shop to look at the sm7 up against my sm5. They really didnt look all that different side by side. Grabbed a sm6 and it looked microscopic compared to my 5. Same loft, grind. Weird. I stayed away from the sm6 due to the looks - but I could bag the 7s if I wanted.

Looks are certainly important, but it’s not the be all and end all. If a club performs, and I can bare to look at it, it will go in my bag. That’s why the pig ugly Ping G Crossover stayed in my bag for a couple of years.

These are the first Vokeys that I have ever liked the look of. In fact, I think they’re the best looking wedges since the Callaway X Forged Vintage c-grind wedges.

PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Looks are certainly important, but it’s not the be all and end all. If a club performs, and I can bare to look at it, it will go in my bag. That’s why the pig ugly Ping G Crossover stayed in my bag for a couple of years.

These are the first Vokeys that I have ever liked the look of. In fact, I think they’re the best looking wedges since the Callaway X Forged Vintage c-grind wedges.

Totally understand that!

I sure do miss the x forged wedges. Ugh...

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

I just don’t understand why they have gone to the brushed steel finish. They are going to look dreadful after a couple of rounds.

Titleist - Pro V1

Thanks Bob.

A few days ago someone on here asked what bounce/grind option I went for. I didn’t answer, as to be perfectly honest, I couldn’t remember what I ordered. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I went for 52/08/F, 58/12/D, 62/08/M

PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Hey Mark!

Very intriguing wedge split! What made you go for that set up? I thought about something like that also, but was not sure. As a fellow left, I’m curious! Thanks mate

Numbers mainly. I used to go 52, 58, 64, but found the 62 so easy to open up that it seemed sensible to go with it and sack the 64.

PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

i picked up 50F and 54S yesterday in the black finish yesterday... i was going to pick up the 60L... but it been years since i haven't had an EYE 2 L or S in the bag and my sentimental side got the best of me

G430 Max 9*

Ping G25 20*

Ping G425 26*
Ping i500 5-W
Ping Glide Forged 50*/54* 
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2  58*
Ping PLD Custom DS72H 

Is everyone just getting a D grind cause it's a new offering? I've literally never seen anyone that plays it on tour or anyone that I know from web/mini's.

Supposedly it's very popular on tour has players had their k grinds hand worked to become what is now known as the D

They've had a mold for high bounce M's for a long time and I don't see it used very often. I've seen a lot K's modified, but not to turn into an M grind like the D. Yes I know it's soooooo versatile...

I feel like it's another smart marketing technique like raising their prices 20% so guys can say more jokes about having the D.

Can you flop a D off tighter lies like you can with a L grind? Is the D grind similar to a M grind on flop shots?

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 50.08F & 56M DG S200

Callaway Jaws Raw Face Chrome 60Z DG Spinner 115 Steel

39" Odyssey Jailbird LE 380 Microhinge Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Can you flop a D off tighter lies like you can with a L grind? Is the D grind similar to a M grind on flop shots?

I've always had an L because I can't get under the ball on really firm lies with M even. The D is the highest in the progression. All three are essentially the same grind just with different levels of bounce. (That was what the fitter at TPI told me atleast)