14th club ideas

arbeck

So far this year I've used my Cleveland Niblick zero times on the course. I've become comfortable enough around the green with my 55* and pretty adapt at 7 or 8 iron punch outs from the rough and behind trees that it's just taking a spot in my bag doing nothing. I took it out of my bag, but that empty divider in my bag sure looks lonely so I was looking for something to put there. Here are my approximate carry distances with my clubs on solid strikes (keep in mind I'm a 20 HCP). My driver swing speed is right around 100 MPH.

Driver - 250

4 Wood - 225

7 Wood (21*) - 200

5 Iron (24*) - 185

PW (45*) - 130

GW (50*) - 115 to 100 depending on how I choke up

SW (55*) - 80 to 90 depending on how I choke up. I can get this up to 100 if needed, but I get better results with the GW at that distance

LW (60*) - 75, though I almost never take a full swing with it

My first thought was going with some sort of utility iron or hybrid in the 22-24* range, though I don't know how often this will get used. The 7W only comes out on some crazy long (for me) par 3's and occasionally a par 4 that requires a layup.

My second thought was maybe a new wedge. I use my 55* set wedge for almost all my work around the greens. The only time I don't is when I need to really open the face of a wedge. I don't find it that easy to open, at least compared to my lob wedge. I was considering getting something like a 52* or 58* that might be a little more versatile (perhaps replacing my LW as a bunker club?) around the greens. I could then keep my set SW more for full swing shots.

The right answer is probably, that I don't need anything, replace my putter, or take another lesson. But you know how that goes.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far this year I've used my Cleveland Niblick zero times on the course. I've become comfortable enough around the green with my 55* and pretty adapt at 7 or 8 iron punch outs from the rough and behind trees that it's just taking a spot in my bag doing nothing. I took it out of my bag, but that empty divider in my bag sure looks lonely so I was looking for something to put there. Here are my approximate carry distances with my clubs on solid strikes (keep in mind I'm a 20 HCP). My driver swing speed is right around 100 MPH.

Driver - 250

4 Wood - 225

7 Wood (21*) - 200

5 Iron (24*) - 185

PW (45*) - 130

GW (50*) - 115 to 100 depending on how I choke up

SW (55*) - 80 to 90 depending on how I choke up. I can get this up to 100 if needed, but I get better results with the GW at that distance

LW (60*) - 75, though I almost never take a full swing with it

My first thought was going with some sort of utility iron or hybrid in the 22-24* range, though I don't know how often this will get used. The 7W only comes out on some crazy long (for me) par 3's and occasionally a par 4 that requires a layup.

My second thought was maybe a new wedge. I use my 55* set wedge for almost all my work around the greens. The only time I don't is when I need to really open the face of a wedge. I don't find it that easy to open, at least compared to my lob wedge. I was considering getting something like a 52* or 58* that might be a little more versatile (perhaps replacing my LW as a bunker club?) around the greens. I could then keep my set SW more for full swing shots.

The right answer is probably, that I don't need anything, replace my putter, or take another lesson. But you know how that goes.

Your bag looks great. Leaving it open is fine. Alignment rods?

You seem to have all the regular shots covered with your bag. Maybe get a left handed 7 iron for those unfortunate lies.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Nothing wrong with doing it now, but you are going to want to change 10.5 driver - 4 wood - 7 wood at some point. 45-50-55-60 is a pretty classic wedge progression. There is room for another club at the bottom. When I was around a 20, I played two drivers (a 8.5* and a 13*) because getting off the tee well is so important. You could consider something like that. But yeah, not many holes here.

I'm not sure why you didn't post the loft of the 4w though. Honestly, if that 225 is off the ground (which it is I'm assuming since all the others are), and we add10-15 for a tee, your 4w and your driver are pretty close to each other in terms of distance. This points to driver specs being off, especially launch. You're playing the exact same shaft as Kuchar (if its stiff) and that thing is pretty stout even outside of X.

I'm not saying something is definitely off, but getting 250 regularly out of 100mph is pretty impressive. You may want to recheck those numbers.

I'd say that if that 225 for the four wood is off the ground your driver and 4w are too tight off teh tee, and a driver fitting might be the way to go. Its by far the most important club in the bag.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Nothing wrong with doing it now, but you are going to want to change 10.5 driver - 4 wood - 7 wood at some point. 45-50-55-60 is a pretty classic wedge progression. There is room for another club at the bottom. When I was around a 20, I played two drivers (a 8.5* and a 13*) because getting off the tee well is so important. You could consider something like that. But yeah, not many holes here.

I'm not sure why you didn't post the loft of the 4w though. Honestly, if that 225 is off the ground (which it is I'm assuming since all the others are), and we add10-15 for a tee, your 4w and your driver are pretty close to each other in terms of distance. This points to driver specs being off, especially launch. You're playing the exact same shaft as Kuchar (if its stiff) and that thing is pretty stout even outside of X.

I'm not saying something is definitely off, but getting 250 regularly out of 100mph is pretty impressive. You may want to recheck those numbers.

I'd say that if that 225 for the four wood is off the ground your driver and 4w are too tight off teh tee, and a driver fitting might be the way to go. Its by far the most important club in the bag.

The 4W is 16.5*, 42.5", and is going 225 off a mat. I've never tested it off a tee (because I rarely hit it that way). It's not unusual for me to get about 250-260 with roll out from it on great strikes from the fairway. My last round I managed to have an eagle putt after a 270 yard drive and a 254 yard 4W (according to game golf, though this was also a teed up in light rough and on an upslope).

I was fitted for the driver (it's also an inch shorter than stock), and I play it at 10.5* because I still struggle with my angle of attack. This was far worse when I was fitted and I'm getting better. my best strikes are usually centered around 0, but when I get off I sometimes get as high as 3* down with the driver. When I hit one of those shots low on the face, I'll get a ball that stays super low. If I can consistently get my attack angle fixed, I probably would be able to loft down a bit. However, my good strike numbers aren't that bad. These are my driving numbers from the last time I did the TrackMan Skills:

NAgPG7z.png

The first shot was my toey overcooked draw where I start it online and it goes way left with low spin. That tends to be my most frequent miss (My instructor has worked hard to get my misses off the toe and to eliminate right). The last shot is the block that starts to the right and just goes straight. These are almost always higher off the face, with a steeper angle of attack, and tend to creep up more when I get tired and/or try to swing too hard. The other two shots are more representative I've what I can do. They start just to the right and draw back to the target.

Keep in mind though, all those numbers are what I can do. I'm a 20 handicap, so what I can do and what I do do are often slightly different.

I would get a 3wood and a 5 iron with more loft which will give you the perfect gap to put a hybrid

He's a 20 handicap. Dropping the 4 wood for a 3 wood is gonna hurt him off the deck.

i would pick up a 4 hybrid for use out of the rough. It will be useful for all situations.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

i think that's a pretty good setup as it is. I do need one of those 7 woods.

Maybe a driving iron .. it is late August, you could probably get that to run further than your driver on certain holes.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

Years ago I used to carry 2 putters. If one misbehaved by the 4th or 5th hole I would switch. I have to say it worked quite well for a few years.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.