NorCal Putters

Hey all,

I recently (July 27th) sent one of my Scotty's to NorCal Putters to get refinished. They seem to pump out putters a lot yet they keep delaying my finish date. Before sending my putter in I confirmed that it would be a two week turnaround no questions asked. I am going on 4 weeks and the date still continues to be delayed. At one point (two weeks ago) the putter was on the line and almost done... fast forward two weeks and it was just starting to be refinished according to whomever runs the social media page...

Has anyone had the same sub-par experience? Also would anyone like to recommend a better option because my patience has been lost for weeks now!

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated!

-Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I had a terrible experience with NorCal putters also. I was a little shocked at the high price to start with but figured quality is worth paying for. I got it back after a long delay and was very disappointed I could still see a little of the old finish on the putter despite being told the original finish would be stripped. I had to send it back for a redo and I'm going on 8 weeks without it back now after sending it in to be fixed. I first sent my putter to him back in May. I would avoid Norcal there are plenty of other great refinishers that do better work for less money with better communication and lead times.

• Like 1

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

• 4 weeks later...

Similar experience with them. Turnaround time was about 3 weeks, but for what I paid for, I could've done the work. It basically came back partially torched and the finish started coming off on the sole after about 2 weeks. The milling was very nice, but I ended up refinishing it myself. For the money I wish I would have gone to a different shop...

Cobra Aerojet 8* Tensei White 2.0 Prototype 65TX
Titleist TSi3 15*. Tensei AV Raw White 80x.
Cobra Tour Forged 3i. X100.
Cobra CB 4-6. X100. 

Cobra MB 7-PW. X100.
Vokey SM9 50, 56, 60. TT X100  
Spyder X Hydroblast Flow Neck

• 1 year later...

I had a terrible experience with my first putter. I got Norcal to make me a custom putter. About 4 weeks in I asked for pictures since I was paying a ton of money... everything looked fine before the paint other than my name was engraved wrong on the putter... fast forward to 9 weeks after the order was placed, I got a question asking if I wanted to picked a colour for the paint fill... Black was clearly stated on the invoice. When I finally received my putter I noticed the sightline I asked for wasn’t anywhere to be found... I contacted NorCal, got a discount but then had to send my putter back. They did pay for shipping but after they added the sightline and sent me a picture... they asked once again what colour I wanted the paint fill... it was clearly stated in the invoice. The whole processes made it seemed like they never even looked at my invoice, with all the detail.

• 1 year later...

End of last year I sent one in for Norcal... took a bit longer but it is COVID reality. 
Came back fine and great work.  Have no dog in this fight. this is end of 2020 experience.

I just sent in another one.  More to follow.

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

On 2/14/2021 at 8:53 AM, caller said:

End of last year I sent one in for Norcal... took a bit longer but it is COVID reality. 
Came back fine and great work.  Have no dog in this fight. this is end of 2020 experience.

I just sent in another one.  More to follow.

I have two that I sent in 2019 and had great service with 4 week turn around quality work well worth the wait his instagram proves his quality as well 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, btyh said:

I have two that I sent in 2019 and had great service with 4 week turn around quality work well worth the wait his instagram proves his quality as well 

Mine took more like 8 weeks.

To be fair, Norcal said from the beginning, don't ask for update, it will take time kinda disclaimer so they were upfront. 

I don't have problem with them. I sent another putter and my buddy is about to send in one too.

Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

28 minutes ago, caller said:

Mine took more like 8 weeks.

To be fair, Norcal said from the beginning, don't ask for update, it will take time kinda disclaimer so they were upfront. 

I don't have problem with them. I sent another putter and my buddy is about to send in one too.

It may have been 8 but it looks like he has alot more business since 2019

On 2/18/2021 at 2:04 AM, btyh said:

Just an FYI he actively deletes any IG content he does not like.  I had an absolutely horrible experience with NorCal. He was completely dishonest which is what bothered me the most.  Easily the worst golf equipment related experience I've ever had.  As I posted above avoid NorCal.  There are plenty of honest people doing great refinish work there is no reason to send something to someone who is dishonest and not trust worthy. I'm sure he does fine work from time to time but I can guarantee he will NOT take care of you if there is a problem and has no problem lying to people. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

1 hour ago, FairwayFred said:

Just an FYI he actively deletes any IG content he does not like.  I had an absolutely horrible experience with NorCal. He was completely dishonest which is what bothered me the most.  Easily the worst golf equipment related experience I've ever had.  As I posted above avoid NorCal.  There are plenty of honest people doing great refinish work there is no reason to send something to someone who is dishonest and not trust worthy. I'm sure he does fine work from time to time but I can guarantee he will NOT take care of you if there is a problem and has no problem lying to people. 

Get a grip with yourself, like you're perfect and never lied to someone! Actually you are lying to everyone on golfwrx now claiming he won't take care of you! We all have lied and made mistakes. He does amazing work and he went out of his way to call me personally to go over my order before proceeding. But yet you are claiming to everyone how crappy his service is.. Trying to bash him because you got a bad experience is ridiculous. If he was posting nothing but trash work and doing it to everyone is a different story. If you weren't satisfied with his work then there are plenty of good guys doing the same thing. Just say you had a bad experience and move on.... lmao!20190612_185824.jpg.79f1e7ef70ffc5f69031cff9aceadecd.jpg20190928_082136.jpg.676df2bc2b385ef1e2c52e98ffe2cff3.jpg

2 hours ago, FairwayFred said:

What happened?

Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

On 2/19/2021 at 1:44 PM, btyh said:

Get a grip with yourself, like you're perfect and never lied to someone! Actually you are lying to everyone on golfwrx now claiming he won't take care of you! We all have lied and made mistakes. He does amazing work and he went out of his way to call me personally to go over my order before proceeding. But yet you are claiming to everyone how crappy his service is.. Trying to bash him because you got a bad experience is ridiculous. If he was posting nothing but trash work and doing it to everyone is a different story. If you weren't satisfied with his work then there are plenty of good guys doing the same thing. Just say you had a bad experience and move on.... lmao!20190612_185824.jpg.79f1e7ef70ffc5f69031cff9aceadecd.jpg20190928_082136.jpg.676df2bc2b385ef1e2c52e98ffe2cff3.jpg

I'm glad you had a good experience.  I've heard of quite a few others that have had bad experiences with norcal it's not just me.  And I am absolutely not lying to anyone on here he did not take care of me with the issues I had so it's safe to assume that he might not take care of someone else.  I make it a point to be honest in my business dealings but that's just me.  Again glad you had a good experience!  

• Like 1

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

I've honestly seen more good experiences than bad. And when you hear about the bad you don't see pictures or any kind of proof to back the claims. If we're talking about assumptions then I'm going to assume that people expected perfect results. that can't always happen with restoration projects and you are setting yourself up expecting that. 

10 minutes ago, btyh said:

I've honestly seen more good experiences than bad. And when you hear about the bad you don't see pictures or any kind of proof to back the claims. If we're talking about assumptions then I'm going to assume that people expected perfect results. that can't always happen with restoration projects and you are setting yourself up expecting that. 

Again I'm glad you had a good experience. I can try to dig up some pics if you like. I definitely took some. I certainly was not expecting perfection and the putter I sent in was brand new. I work on golf clubs for a living so I understand the ins and outs of finishing and working on metal. All I was expecting was honesty and them doing what I paid for and I did not get that. I've dealt with almost every finisher, refinisher and custom golf club company that there is and this was by far the worst experience I've had in golf equipment. I think after that it's reasonable for me to share my experience with people looking for the same service. But again I am not looking to offend anyone or start an argument.  

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

3 minutes ago, FairwayFred said:

Again I'm glad you had a good experience. I can try to dig up some pics if you like. I definitely took some. I certainly was not expecting perfection and the putter I sent in was brand new. I work on golf clubs for a living so I understand the ins and outs of finishing and working on metal. All I was expecting was honesty and them doing what I paid for and I did not get that. I've dealt with almost every finisher, refinisher and custom golf club company that there is and this was by far the worst experience I've had in golf equipment. I think after that it's reasonable for me to share my experience with people looking for the same service. But again I am not looking to offend anyone or start an argument.  

It not even that it's how you are carrying yourself to the golfwrx community. I dont know norcals start time but if you are referring to a issue from 2017 then you should look at his current work before you continue to try and back statements. Again we all lie and make mistakes but when you bash someone over your past experience and tell the whole wrx community that they won't be taken care of in 2021 then makes you the lier. And if you want to back a statement then prove your point with pictures and conversations instead of putting it all out on a keyboard or hiding in others PMs.

2 minutes ago, btyh said:

It not even that it's how you are carrying yourself to the golfwrx community. I dont know norcals start time but if you are referring to a issue from 2017 then you should look at his current work before you continue to try and back statements. Again we all lie and make mistakes but when you bash someone over your past experience and tell the whole wrx community that they won't be taken care of in 2021 then makes you the lier. And if you want to back a statement then prove your point with pictures and conversations instead of putting it all out on a keyboard or hiding in others PMs.

Dishonest people generally do not stop being dishonest because a few years go by.  And I don't appreciate being called a liar because I shared what happened to me.  I'm sorry your offended by my experience.  I'm very glad your experience was much better.  Hoping you make lots of birdies the next time you play!  I'm off to enjoy some other conversations! 

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

36 minutes ago, FairwayFred said:

Dishonest people generally do not stop being dishonest because a few years go by.  And I don't appreciate being called a liar because I shared what happened to me.  I'm sorry your offended by my experience.  I'm very glad your experience was much better.  Hoping you make lots of birdies the next time you play!  I'm off to enjoy some other conversations! 

Im not offended I'm just not afraid of calling out your statements. I'm calling you a lier because you telling everyone that "they will not be taken care of" when there alot of people who have been taken care of. Your bad experience isn't the face of his company. And the worst part is you have no proof and if the quality of the work was so terrible then no one would buy it off of you.. I will stand up for good people and quality work on this forum and I won't stop.  

8 hours ago, FairwayFred said:

I had a bad experience too don't worry buddy and I know a few others that have as well. I will not give them another chance

• Like 4

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT