2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

718 AP2 or AP3??

russian7

Had a chance to test the 718 AP2 and must say that my 716 AP2 is more forgiving! Same shaft and flex. DG XP95.

I felt the same way, with the addition of the AP3 they've made the AP2 more like the JPX 900 Tour. I actually didn't feel there was much difference in forgiveness between the 718 AP2 and CB, AP2 were slightly longer.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a fitting with the AP3's--specifically went for these. I've played the AP2's and love the look/feel/performance but at 64 just feel the need for some forgiveness. I play off a 6 index for reference. So, just my thoughts here with these clubs.....

First I'd say the 3's fall right in between the AP1 & AP2 in every respect--head size,off set,sole , top line, etc. For me, its the perfect size to gain confidence over AP2, but not shovel like AP1. I was not thrilled about these being cast, but honestly the feel was NOT BAD !! Closer to AP1 than AP2 for sure, but again---right in between. Set up was very pleasing to my eye--nice top line--minimal off set in short irons---comfortable size head.

Long story short on shafts.....went with PX LZ 5.5 in my head....definitely going with AMT Black !!! Actually the numbers were quite similar with AMT White, Black, LZ 6.0, and worst was the LZ 5.5 !! The AMT Black had the best feel (lightest of the 4), solid repeatable #'s, best dispersion also. I've never been a DG S300 kind of guy so I was hesitant to even try the AMT....but these are a whole different shaft than what I anticipated for sure.

So, gonna order 5-GW AMT Black stiff--2* weak--1* flat. Think these will sell a TON for the guys who feel not quite good enough for AP2, but don't want the AP1 improvement style.

Titleist 913 D2 8.5* Rogue 70 S
Titleist 915 16.5* Whiteboard 80 X
Titleist 915 19* Whiteboard 90 S, 24* Whiteboard 100X
 AP2 716 KBS Tour S 1x SS SM7 Black 50* KBS
SM7 Black 54/14 KBS,  SM7 58/12 KBS
KP1 Carbon ---Cally Chrome Soft 2018
TM TP5X

I did a fitting at TPI yesterday. I got fit into 3 and 4 iron AP3 bent 1* weak, 5-9 AP2. We first started with the Ap2 7 iron, then moved to AP3, TMB, CB. My turf interaction is better with players iron profiles. From the fitter's mouth. The AP2 was perfect through the turf and spun less than the CB. The CB sole was slightly too narrow for my swing. I had played the 716 CB for a while and thought this might be happening. From the top, the AP3 7 iron looked good. I would have to have them side by side with an AP2 to notice anything. It does have a wider sole though than the AP2. Feel wise you can definitely feel a difference between AP3 and AP2. It's not forged so no surprise. It helped me with ball speed and gave me a more optimal landing trajectory in the long irons. I think the AP3 are great for combo sets in the long irons. A lot of pros are going that way.

Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009

Im gaming Srixon 765 now and planning on buying the new AP2s then saw the new AP3s,

Which is better? Has anyone compared both? I like stronger lofts should i go AP3 or have titleist strengthen my AP2s? Or do combo set? I dont have any locally to demo, anyone tried both, pros cons??

If you truly need a new set of irons your best bet would be a new set of the Z765. :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I did a fitting at TPI yesterday. I got fit into 3 and 4 iron AP3 bent 1* weak, 5-9 AP2. We first started with the Ap2 7 iron, then moved to AP3, TMB, CB.

Interesting, thanks. Did this displace any hybrids in your bag with the AP3s, and did you hit the 818s too?

I don't use hybrids. They don't work as well for me. I had a 716 T-MB 3 iron the AP3 displaced. AP3 helped me launch higher off the turf. Any thoughts i have on the 818's won't be helpful because I was a disaster with the hybrids. They look great and it was cool to see a Tensei White and Atmos Blue shaft offering, but I didn't hit the hybrids well at all. It could have been any hybrid, I just don't hit hybrids well.

Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009

I currently play AP1 6 and 7-iron, and AP2 8, 9 and PW. Sometimes my AP2 7-iron goes in the bag. At 64, my swing speed with a driver is less than 90. If I have to, I can transition from 6-iron to a soft 7-wood.

I am thinking of going AP1 6-iron (maybe even the new AP1 5-iron), AP3 7, 8, 9-iron, and keep my favorite AP2 PW.

That would be an old guy's combo set.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I finally held an AP3 today, and Sweet Fancy Moses I want them! They do not look bad at all from the topline standpoint. I currently play 714 AP2's which will be hitting the BST real quick! I was all gung ho for a set of G400/i200 combo set, but the AP3's just look so much better to me. As for feel, of course they are a tad harsher than the AP2's, but at this point in my life forgiveness and fun are paramount. I will hit up a Titleist Thursday soon, because I really don't want to pony up the 6 bills to go to Manchester Lane again.

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

I cant find the heads anywhere to hit, has anyone demoed both??

Kirk's thread here really explores the AP2 versus AP3 from several viewpoints. Enjoy!

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1530532-i-tried-the-new-718-ap2s-and-ap3s/

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Titleist 917 D3 9.5° - GD Tour AD MJ 7TX
Titleist 917 F2 15° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
Mizuno MP H4 3 Driving Iron - KBS Tour S
Titleist 718 AP3 4-PW - KBS Tour S+
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 50.12°S
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 54.10°[/font]
[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX 3.0 [/font][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]58.09°
Scotty 2018 FB 1st of 500[/font]
[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Scotty 2018 Global Ltd Fastback[/font]

I did a club fitting and hit them both - with Trackman. They both felt & looked great to me - 5 years ago I would have ordered 2's for sure, but I'm getting older and the 3's just felt a little more forgiving - they went further (as stated due to the stronger lofts)

Ordered 5-W (the 48 deg)...can't wait until the 29th!!!

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

• 1 month later...

I finally held an AP3 today, and Sweet Fancy Moses I want them! They do not look bad at all from the topline standpoint. I currently play 714 AP2's which will be hitting the BST real quick! I was all gung ho for a set of G400/i200 combo set, but the AP3's just look so much better to me. As for feel, of course they are a tad harsher than the AP2's, but at this point in my life forgiveness and fun are paramount. I will hit up a Titleist Thursday soon, because I really don't want to pony up the 6 bills to go to Manchester Lane again.

I did a club fitting and hit them both - with Trackman. They both felt & looked great to me - 5 years ago I would have ordered 2's for sure, but I'm getting older and the 3's just felt a little more forgiving - they went further (as stated due to the stronger lofts)

So these posts have been out a while. Did you end up getting the AP3's and if so, how are they? Signatures may need to be adjusted :taunt:

I'm about to pull the trigger I think...

[font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX 3.0 [/font][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]58.09°

So these posts have been out a while. Did you end up getting the AP3's and if so, how are they? Signatures may need to be adjusted :taunt:

I'm about to pull the trigger I think...

Gava, I decided I did not need anything new at this point. I know, I know, my WRX card needs to be taken away stat! I put the AP2's in the closet and took out my old friends the Wilson Staffs. I am hitting them well, and will give them the whole season next year. The signature is correct for now....

Let me know if you do pull the trigger and what you think of them. Best of luck with whatever finds its way into your bag!

TPG

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

Thanks for the reply, TPG. And no, I think you're being very wise in taking your time with the decision. I love equipment but irons are a lot harder to shift than a Scotty Cameron or the latest driver if you impulse buy an it doesn't work out.

I don't think I can go past the forgiveness of the AP3. Couple that with the new KBS Tour S+ shaft and I won't be able to resist. I have scored a demo set (not my specs of course) for tomorrow and will give them a good test to see if they work for me on the course like they do on the range.

Then it might be time to talk turkey...

Yeah I'll be focussing on how the shorter AP3 irons feel today. That sounds like the ideal combo but with the AP3's vs 2's there is undeniably a difference in feel. I think having AP2's in the set would remind me of that.

For a mid handicapper, the AP3's are going to be more forgiving overall and once that decision is made, then I'll be staying away form the AP2's. Once I am used to the change in feel, I'm assured by the fitter that I won't even notice it any more.

Interesting experience with the demo set on the course today. They weren't to my specs but distance control could be an issue wih the stronger lofts.

Put it into a thread here; http://www.golfwrx.c...2#entry16413922

Im gaming Srixon 765 now and planning on buying the new AP2s then saw the new AP3s,

Which is better? Has anyone compared both? I like stronger lofts should i go AP3 or have titleist strengthen my AP2s? Or do combo set? I dont have any locally to demo, anyone tried both, pros cons??

Not happy with the 765s? What did you think of the clubs?

Not happy with the 765s? What did you think of the clubs?

765s were some of the best and favorite irons ive played i just had huge shop credit an got AP3s so sold my 765s. AP3s are nice but cant hold a candle to the srixon feel or workability imo

765s were some of the best and favorite irons ive played i just had huge shop credit an got AP3s so sold my 765s. AP3s are nice but cant hold a candle to the srixon feel or workability imo

That's interesting. Despite having a shop credit it doesn't explain why you'd sell the clubs you preferred unless you didn't hit the AP3's first??

Are you looking at moving the AP3's on and going back to Srixon?

I guess I'm accepting my limitations in going for less 'workability' in the AP3's in favor of more straight line accuracy/forgiveness.

Perhaps you're a better player then? What's your handicap index?

Some of my contacts have said the AP3's are selling well but mostly at the expense of the AP1. Customers like the distance and look of the AP3 over the AP1 and prefer the forged face and dispersion of the AP2.

I was surprised Titleist didn't use a forged face for the AP3, especially given they have a forged AP1 overseas.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX