P790 UDI's - Any news on these vs the full set p790s?

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was using the TM Tour Preferred UDI 2 iron for about 4 years and loved everything about it. I bought the P790 UDI and wow is it long. Probably has to do with being 17 degrees and a 85 gram shaft but Im in love.

Agreed, I am surprised how easy it is to hit as well. Dumped my hybrid for it and got my “man card” back:)

FWIW, I spoke with a CS rep at TM today, inquiring about the current UDI back order, and was told that they are expecting shipments 5/9 & 5/15. Could be "shop talk" but wanted to share just in case. Hoping this is positive news for us still in the queue. Can't wait! Like a little kid waiting for X-mas!

ordered: 4/6 - est. arr. 5/24

SIM2 9° Blackout - AD-IZ 6 TX
TM SIM2 Ti 3 Wood - AD-DI 7X
TM M3 5 Wood - Kai'li 8X
Srixon ZX5 3-4 / ZX7 5-9 - MCA MMT 125TX

Vokey SM8 46°, 54°, 60° - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
TM Spider X Slantneck - KBS 1Step

I hit the #2 UDI on a TM demo day. That thing was not easy to hit for me D: Low faded bullets. Carried 220 yards, but couldn't elevate it at all and I generally hit the ball pretty high. I think it had the HZRDUS Black in X in it, but could've been the S.

Wasn't sure what I would use it for at the time (outside of trips to links golf in the UK), but then I played in really strong winds over the weekend. Wouldn't have minded it as a driver replacement into the wind. But not a club I would carry regularly.

[size=1][b]Driver[/b] Titleist 915D3 8.5* Veylix Rome Roughneck S, tipped 1''
[b]Spoon[/b] [/size][size=1]Cobra King LTD 13.5* UST Mamiya Chrome Elements S[/size]
[size=1][b]Hybrid[/b] Adams A2ts Aldila Voodoo SNV8 S
[b]Irons[/b] Epon AF-Tour 5 - PW KBS C-taper S
[b]GW[/b] Titleist SM6 52* K-grind
[b]SW[/b] Titleist SM6 oil can 58* V-grind
[b]Putter[/b] Scotty Cameron Phantom Futura[/size]

I hit the #2 UDI on a TM demo day. That thing was not easy to hit for me D: Low faded bullets. Carried 220 yards, but couldn't elevate it at all and I generally hit the ball pretty high. I think it had the HZRDUS Black in X in it, but could've been the S.

Wasn't sure what I would use it for at the time (outside of trips to links golf in the UK), but then I played in really strong winds over the weekend. Wouldn't have minded it as a driver replacement into the wind. But not a club I would carry regularly.

That is what this club is intended for. Low launching bullets!!

Loving the sound of low launching bullets. I hit my irons miles in the air, as well as my 3 wood. This is hopefully going to be the perfect club to fill the gap between my 4 iron and 3 wood. Also looking for a good club to hit into the wind.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

Finally got mine out on the course. Hit it on 7 holes. Good hits were real penetrating bullets. Mishit it twice low heel and lost about 20 yards on each but straight and in the light rough on each. Tried to fade one on a 230 yd par 3 that did not cut, but landed at 215 off the green and managed to not run way past the green. Really fun club. Really controllable compared to a hybrid or fairway.

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

Loving the sound of low launching bullets. I hit my irons miles in the air, as well as my 3 wood. This is hopefully going to be the perfect club to fill the gap between my 4 iron and 3 wood. Also looking for a good club to hit into the wind.

If you love your P790 iron set then you will love the UDI. TM knocked it out of the park with this one!

If you love your P790 iron set then you will love the UDI. TM knocked it out of the park with this one!

Contemplating going to Carl's Golf Land in MI today and picking one up.

I really don't want to play it at 40". I had a PXG 0311XF at 40" at it was way too long for me. I'd like to play it at the standard 3 iron steel length, 38.75", so it's a natural progression from my 4 iron. However I don't want to take too much off the club where I'm losing distance and adding height.

Has anyone played one shorter than the stock 40"?

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

I really don't want to play it at 40". I had a PXG 0311XF at 40" at it was way too long for me. I'd like to play it at the standard 3 iron steel length, 38.75", so it's a natural progression from my 4 iron. However I don't want to take too much off the club where I'm losing distance and adding height.

Well you're gonna have to pick your battles. Cutting it down will take off some distance slightly. However, you'll need to add some weight to the head to maintain the swing weight, which in theory would raise the ball speed slightly, so might help offset the distance lost from cutting it down. If you're worried about adding height, you could tweak the loft as well.

Anyone not like the HZRDUS? Thinking of pulling it and installing something heavier

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

Well you're gonna have to pick your battles. Cutting it down will take off some distance slightly. However, you'll need to add some weight to the head to maintain the swing weight, which in theory would raise the ball speed slightly, so might help offset the distance lost from cutting it down. If you're worried about adding height, you could tweak the loft as well.

Just buy a P790 3 iron and use your iron shaft in it. The extra loft (2 degrees) will help you and swing weight will be correct. Your welcome :pimp:

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 50.08F & 56M DG S200

Callaway Jaws Raw Face Chrome 60Z DG Spinner 115 Steel

39" Odyssey Jailbird LE 380 Microhinge Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Anyone not like the HZRDUS? Thinking of pulling it and installing something heavier

I don’t hate the HZRDUS but it’s too light and goes too high for me. Bought an AD-DI 105X to put in it.

Titleist TSR3 : Ventus TR Blue 6X
Taylormade Stealth Plus : Ventus Velocore Blue 7X
Taylormade SIM2 Rescue - AD-IZ 85X
Taylormade P770 4-PW : MCA MMT 125X
Taylormade MG 50/54/58 : MCA MMT 125X
Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5

I didn't like the hzrdus 85 when I hit it in the M2 LIFT. I currently have a hzrdus 105x in my TP UDI.

I tried out the hzrdus 85 6.5 last night and hated it. It just felt way too lite. I play X100s in my irons and the difference in feel & control between my P790 4 iron and the UDI was night and day, and not in a good way. Gonna have to go heavier. Did the hzrdus 105x feel that much different to the 85?

Yeah I’m pulling the HZRDUS and installing a lightweight steel myself.

001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

I didn't like the hzrdus 85 when I hit it in the M2 LIFT. I currently have a hzrdus 105x in my TP UDI.

I tried out the hzrdus 85 6.5 last night and hated it. It just felt way too lite. I play X100s in my irons and the difference in feel & control between my P790 4 iron and the UDI was night and day, and not in a good way. Gonna have to go heavier. Did the hzrdus 105x feel that much different to the 85?

The 105x felt better overall than the 85x but I ended up liking the feel of the x100 in the 790. The 105 is in the older Tm udi but the steel did it for me although the liked the fujikura atmos 9x a little more that the 105x

I have tried but still hate the shaft. Either returning it or putting it on the BST and will order one with steel.

It’s odd, my King Utility at 19.5 is carrying 17 yards farther with a much better land angle and in contrast to initial testing is producing about 3mph more ball speed on trackman than my 17* UDI. It is 100% due to the shaft. SW is too low and I just don’t swing it as confidently.

On the other hand, the King covers the gap between 3w and 4i well so I may just call the UDI a failed experiment if I can’t find a more tip soft shaft that is both heavier and a better fit for my swing.

Trackman #’s

FG Tour V6 4i (23*, X100) - Carry 243, total 260.5

King UT (19.5, Rogue 85 X) - Carry 252.9, total 272.1, Land angle 40*

P790 UDI (Stock specs) - Carry 235.6, Total 264.9, land angle 28.2*

I know there is a lot more potential in the UDI, I just need to elevate it more. Launch angle of 8.8* means these are basically stingers. I deloft the club a lot and I think a heavier more tip soft shaft would bring this thing to life, but with the King working well I don’t want to spend too much time or money on this.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Ordered a Project Xi 6.5 that I’m throwing in it.

001 TW Proto

I have tried but still hate the shaft. Either returning it or putting it on the BST and will order one with steel.

It’s odd, my King Utility at 19.5 is carrying 17 yards farther with a much better land angle and in contrast to initial testing is producing about 3mph more ball speed on trackman than my 17* UDI. It is 100% due to the shaft. SW is too low and I just don’t swing it as confidently.

On the other hand, the King covers the gap between 3w and 4i well so I may just call the UDI a failed experiment if I can’t find a more tip soft shaft that is both heavier and a better fit for my swing.

Trackman #’s

I know there is a lot more potential in the UDI, I just need to elevate it more. Launch angle of 8.8* means these are basically stingers. I deloft the club a lot and I think a heavier more tip soft shaft would bring this thing to life, but with the King working well I don’t want to spend too much time or money on this.

what are the swing weights on these various clubs?

very impressive # from King with Rogue black

I played mine for the first time with a x100 shaft yesterday. I had to use it off all my par 4 and par 5s since I’m not able to swing a driver after surgery. This clubs is solid as it comes. There were shots into the wind that went farther than I had expected. I was able to work the ball both ways as needed. I could hit it high, low, right left didn’t matter. Very easy to hit it high and let it ride the wind or low to try to keep it out of the wind. I love it with a steel shaft.

Trackman #’s

Cobra is D4, 4i is D5, UDI is D0. I know the SW is the primary issue, but the shaft itself feels bad to me.

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Trackman #’s

Cobra is D4, 4i is D5, UDI is D0. I know the SW is the primary issue, but the shaft itself feels bad to me.

That’s a huge difference in swing-weight, IMO. Not sure how you can tell how a shaft really feels at D0.

I'm not a fan...felt......weird. Maybe it was too light or it just didnt fit my tempo/swing. But mine will be going to the BST. I didnt see much difference from the Vapor Fly Pro 2i that I have, though I do admit that the P790 felt better and flew a little further, but that's because I had it bent 2* stronger.

Testing: Sim2 8*, Mizuno ST-G 220

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Cleveland Mashie 15.5*

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI/Odyssey Tri Hot 5K Three

Trackman #’s

That’s a huge difference in swing-weight, IMO. Not sure how you can tell how a shaft really feels at D0.

Yeah I’m aware it’s a huge difference but I still feel the shaft load and unload just fine. I have a hard transition and when I load this shaft it doesn’t keep up. It functions well at about a 70% swing, beyond that I get snap hooks. I would happily blame my swing but I have no such issue with the Rogue in my cobra. I had steel in an FG Tour V4 UT and no issues with it either.

I have not added lead tape to bring the sw up, I might try it but that would just make the shaft play even softer.

The problem is basically this. TM already builds these .5” over, which is what I play. Stock SW is listed at D2, then I added a midsize grip. Did not SW prior to adding the grip so idk if it was ever actually D2 but as we know the heavier grip drops the SW. This is a made for shaft with a .355 tip not a .370 HY shaft sanded down, and it already plays soft. Adding head weight will make it play softer.

I have decided to try a different shaft in it rather than get rid of it. My 3w is a tee club mostly, if I could dial this in as a more accurate option I would much prefer to carry the 2i.

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Trackman #’s

Yeah I’m aware it’s a huge difference but I still feel the shaft load and unload just fine. I have a hard transition and when I load this shaft it doesn’t keep up. It functions well at about a 70% swing, beyond that I get snap hooks. I would happily blame my swing but I have no such issue with the Rogue in my cobra. I had steel in an FG Tour V4 UT and no issues with it either.

I have not added lead tape to bring the sw up, I might try it but that would just make the shaft play even softer.

The problem is basically this. TM already builds these .5” over, which is what I play. Stock SW is listed at D2, then I added a midsize grip. Did not SW prior to adding the grip so idk if it was ever actually D2 but as we know the heavier grip drops the SW. This is a made for shaft with a .355 tip not a .370 HY shaft sanded down, and it already plays soft. Adding head weight will make it play softer.

I have decided to try a different shaft in it rather than get rid of it. My 3w is a tee club mostly, if I could dial this in as a more accurate option I would much prefer to carry the 2i.

I would snap hook the hell out of a D0 club as well. But anyways, I hated the shaft also, the swing-weight on mine was about D2.5. I ordered a DG 120 X100 as a replacement, should have it installed this weekend. I love my P790 4 iron with DG X100, so figure why stray too far from that.