MP-18 vs P730 vs 718 MB

I hate being "that guy" right now with this topic, but I'm placing the blame on GolfWRX for helping turn me into him.

Nevertheless, has anyone had a chance to compare the measurable of these golf clubs. Feel and all that jazz is subjective. Numbers are never the same for two people. I am more or less looking for head size, blade length, top line thickness, and MOST IMPORTANTLY offset of each.

I think all three OEMs should be commended as they all did a very nice job crafting their respective irons.

Ping G410 LST 7.5º | Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
Titleist TS3 14.25º | Diamana ZF 70TX
TaylorMade P790 UDI 17º | KBS $-Taper 130X / Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8X
Callaway Apex Pro ‘19 | KBS $-Taper 130X
Vokey 52ºF, 56ºD, 60ºLow K  | KBS $-Taper 130X
TaylorMade Spider FCG

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've hit the 18's and seen the 718. Still waiting on the 730's, but based on the 750's the 730's have a chance. How they feel and look at address will decide. I love the mp 18's. They look great and feel great. Pretty much everything you look for in a blade. The 718's are pretty, but I don't anticipate much difference from the 716 and 714 before them. Slightly more offset than I like and I expect them to feel the same. A bit harsher than Mizuno.

You didn't plan to fail,
you failed to plan!

M3 460/9.5*/HZRDUS 75 6.0
'17 M2 Tour/16.5*/'ilima 70s
'17 M1 /19*/'ilima 70s
'10 MP Fli Hi 3-4/Recoil Hybrid Proto 100 f4
MP4 5-PW/Recoil Proto 110 f4
Taylormade Milled Grind 52*/KBS Tour 120 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 58*/ KBS Tour 120 s
Cameron Oil Can Newport 2
Srixon XV

MP59 = Titanium in cavity, not tungsten

no man, it says "Tu Muscle" right on the back of the golf club! :haha:

Whatever it is, it works. I remember many mocked the MP59 when it came out for use of multi-materials in the MP line, but it enhances the club to me and I liked the MP15 too. So MP18 MMC, at least in the long irons, is what I am thinking. But I want to hit the SC first all the way through to see how I do.

Whatever it is, it works. I remember many mocked the MP59 when it came out for use of multi-materials in the MP line, but it enhances the club to me and I liked the MP15 too. So MP18 MMC, at least in the long irons, is what I am thinking. But I want to hit the SC first all the way through to see how I do.

I didn't really like the feel of the 59, and the 15's weren't much better. Wasn't bad, just wasn't what I was used to from Mizuno. The MMC's though actually felt good, and they were the longest for me. Even longer than the Fli Hi.

You didn't plan to fail,
you failed to plan!

'17 M1 /19*/'ilima 70s
Srixon XV

I've hit the 18's and seen the 718. Still waiting on the 730's, but based on the 750's the 730's have a chance. How they feel and look at address will decide. I love the mp 18's. They look great and feel great. Pretty much everything you look for in a blade. The 718's are pretty, but I don't anticipate much difference from the 716 and 714 before them. Slightly more offset than I like and I expect them to feel the same. A bit harsher than Mizuno.

Oh wow, the 718s have more offset than the MP-18s? I know the Titleist MBs of old had a decent amount, but for some reason this years looked drastically reduced. Please report back once you get your hands on the 718s and P730s.

TaylorMade P790 UDI 17º | KBS $-Taper 130X / Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8X
TaylorMade Spider FCG

Oh wow, the 718s have more offset than the MP-18s? I know the Titleist MBs of old had a decent amount, but for some reason this years looked drastically reduced. Please report back once you get your hands on the 718s and P730s.

I don't know the exact specs, but I'm almost positive. I didn't hold the side by side, but I noticed the reduced offset on the mizuno immediately. Noticeably less than my mom 4's. As someone who craves a modern 681 with constant offset at .081 or similar, it's one of the first things I notice. Titleist may have tried to make it look like less offset, but the 18's are lower offset for sure. I'm hoping the 730's are the same or even less.

You didn't plan to fail,
you failed to plan!

'17 M1 /19*/'ilima 70s
Srixon XV

I don't know the exact specs, but I'm almost positive. I didn't hold the side by side, but I noticed the reduced offset on the mizuno immediately. Noticeably less than my mom 4's. As someone who craves a modern 681 with constant offset at .081 or similar, it's one of the first things I notice. Titleist may have tried to make it look like less offset, but the 18's are lower offset for sure. I'm hoping the 730's are the same or even less.

Glad to hear. I am in the same boat as you offset wise. Was one or the other shorter in length heel-toe?

TaylorMade Spider FCG

I didn't see them side by side, so not real sure on that. Neither seemed abnormally long though.

You didn't plan to fail,
you failed to plan!

'17 M1 /19*/'ilima 70s
Srixon XV

EDIT: Have specs for all 3 now. Still curious to know which of the 3 have the shortest blade length.

That being said, the P730s are really attractive in every way to me. Still a tip of the cap to all 3 OEM's on putting out a great product this cycle.

P730s

MP-18

718 MB

TaylorMade Spider FCG

Stilll missing OEM released specs for 718 MBs, but based on DeCuchi's comments above I am assuming this means MP-18s may win the battle of reduced offset. Would be curious to know which of the 3 of the shortest blade length.

P730s

MP-18

Actually TM wins. 2.1mm converts to .082! Here's to hoping the feel is there. Might be my first TM iron since the bubble shaft days. As long as the price isn't crazy. I think Mizuno wins there.

You didn't plan to fail,
you failed to plan!

'17 M1 /19*/'ilima 70s
Srixon XV

Stilll missing OEM released specs for 718 MBs, but based on DeCuchi's comments above I am assuming this means MP-18s may win the battle of reduced offset. Would be curious to know which of the 3 of the shortest blade length.

P730s

MP-18

Actually TM wins. 2.1mm converts to .082! Here's to hoping the feel is there. Might be my first TM iron since the bubble shaft days. As long as the price isn't crazy. I think Mizuno wins there.

Oh man how stupid am I, I didn't even look at the metric of measurement haha. Thanks DeCuchi for catching that.

TaylorMade Spider FCG

P730s

MP-18

Oh man how stupid am I, I didn't even look at the metric of measurement haha. Thanks DeCuchi for catching that.

Actually if you bend the Mizuno irons 1° weak the offsets and lofts will be almost identical.

Taylormade M5 TI 8° Fujikura Motore F1 7X WRX issue 
Taylormade M1 2017 TI 15.5° 3HL Kuro Kage XD 80TX
Taylormade GAPR Lo TI bonded 18 2 iron Tour AD 95X
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW Black KBS $taper 130X
Vokey SM7 raw 50F, 54S & 58D Green Nippon 125 wedge
Bettinardi Queen Bee #7

All Iomic Stick 2.3 grips and I-Classic Mid Putter grip
Titleist Pro-V1 High #s

You can't just go on the measurements for offset. You can have two clubs with identical offset numbers that look different based on the shaping and transition from the hosel to the leading edge. One of those things where each person is going to have to see them to decide.

Taylormade SIM 10.5* w/ Graphite Design VR-5 (X)
Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Ping Tour 80 (X)
Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Tour Proto 85 (X)
Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Did you mean "W muscle"? I'm not sure what periodic table you're looking at.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

Nope it says TI muscle on the back. I don't know how to upload a picture or I would. I still game these

GStew1930, welcome to the WRX forum and all the best wishes to you down in Houston.

Just for your info, my post on this thread was all in jest. You'll witness a lot of needling here on WRX. You should come to recognize it. Usually the "emoticons" being added to a post as the give away! :D

So as for your MP59 ''upload'' request, let me provide it...

11659112-mizuno-mp-59-irons.jpg

Nope it says TI muscle on the back. I don't know how to upload a picture or I would. I still game these

GStew1930, welcome to the WRX forum and all the best wishes to you down in Houston.

Just for your info, my post on this thread was all in jest. You'll witness a lot of needling here on WRX. You should come to recognize it. Usually the "emoticons" being added to a post as the give away!

So as for your MP59 ''upload'' request, let me provide it...

11659112-mizuno-mp-59-irons.jpg

Thank you very much for your wishes, and sorry if I came off the wrong way I wasn't trying to be negative. I'm still learning how all this works. I wasn't trying to come off as an a** I was just trying to help clear the air. I usually keep things short and sweet and it can come off the wrong way

Hit the mp 18's and they felt fantastic. Actually hit them better than the mmc. I'd love to try them against the pp730's. The finish on the mp 18 wins out between those two but I could live with the chrome. I actually may buy the Japanese version of the mizuno pro 118, they look incredible.

Callaway Mavrik Rogue 130 white 60x
Callaway Mini 1.5 Rogue 130 white 70s 
Callaway Mavrik 5w Fujikura Pro 2.0 
Callaway Apex cf19 4-PW Project X LZ
Callaway Jaws MD5 Raw 50S, 54X Vokey WW 58V
Compass Golf Custom Flow neck

Yea, that's about what I expected.

You didn't plan to fail,
you failed to plan!

'17 M1 /19*/'ilima 70s
Srixon XV

Yea, that's about what I expected.

Nice find. Seems on par with previous releases. I suspect for the consumer not driven by minimal offset any of these 3 would be fantastic. All 3 certainly look beautiful. Personally, my eye and brain are both drawn to the P730's.

TaylorMade Spider FCG

Its a muscleback......the difference between them is a personal decision, performance between mb irons is nothing, only slight subtleties the user prefers......

unless you just want what everyone else wants, or the most popular

Performance is nil

If your shopping in this category every blade player should do his due diligence and look at them in person....take the time!

Its a muscleback......the difference between them is a personal decision, performance between mb irons is nothing, only slight subtleties the user prefers......

unless you just want what everyone else wants, or the most popular

Performance is nil

If your shopping in this category every blade player should do his due diligence and look at them in person....take the time!

I agree 100% with what you said, which is why if you read the very first post it was stated the discussion was to be had about the measurables of each. Essentially helping those who are not able to see all 3 in person understand those subtitles you mentioned.

TaylorMade Spider FCG

Also new to WRX, pretty exciting. I have been loyal to Titleist for some time, full bag basically.

Saw the MP 18 line, I loved the looks. Hit speed dial to local Golftown, got fit for them! Very nice clubs! I got a split set of the split cavity and blades.

The feel is great, looks amazing too. Two big check marks in my book. Also, the shaft selection is free. No upcharges.

I didn't hit the new 718 MB because the MP18's had me at hello.