Tulsa Country Clubs

CStephenson17

Hey guys, looking to see if there was a member on here at Tulsa CC, Cedar Ridge, Golf Club of OK... anything that would be willing to let a couple of guys join you for a round on Sept 16. My cousin is flying in from Australia and was wanting to play around his old stomping grounds. He played D1 for ORU and I carry a +1. Message me if so! Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Is anyone from Tulsa still on these boards? I'm in the latest incarnation of wrestling with joining somewhere private around town. With the impending shut-down of Meadowbrook, I was wondering what things look like at various clubs? If you are a current (or recent) Meadowbrook member where are you going (or where did you go)? If you are at another club, are you seeing an influx of folks from Meadowbrook? What's going on with the new operators of Golf Club ("new" for a year now). I've been playing Forest Ridge mostly for the last year or so and every time I walk out of there having spent $55 (or maybe only $40 for a twilight round), it's hard to convince myself to join somewhere, but the seclusion and conditions I remember from my few rounds at Golf Club just sound like paradise.

Anyway, just wanted to try and re-ignite some golf talk from the Tulsa folks.

Happy Holidays

WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS, stock stiff, 9*
3 wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max, stock stiff, 15*,
Hybrid: Callaway XR Pro stock pro stiff 18*
Irons: Callaway Apex (2014) 4-AW, KBS Tour-V 110 S
Wedges: Mizuno MP-T 56*; Callaway X Series Jaws 60*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Fastback

Meadowbrook is closing?! Wow.

I grew up in Tulsa. Used to like getting on courses like Meadowbrook and Cedar Ridge.

Me and my friends would always sign up for the junior tournament at Meadowbrook. It was the first tournament I ever entered that had a cut.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

WITB

• 1 month later...

Anyone else moving courses in the new year? Interested to hear what folks at Golf Club and Indian Springs think about their club and course. ISCC seems more family friendly with two courses, but the few times I've played it, I'm not exactly overwhelmed with experience. It's fine, just not 'amazing'. Anyone at Cedar Ridge have thoughts/reviews on the recent renovations there?

WITB

• 4 months later...

Hey OK_Golf! Not a member of any country club but I live on Bailey Ranch in Owasso. I grew up on that course and enjoy playing it. Mainly because it's cheap and convenient.

Ping G400 - 8.5 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV X-Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash - 3W - Fujikura 757 TR 

Callaway Epic Flash - 5W - HZRDUS Smoke 

Mizuno MP20 - 4-7 MMC, 8-P MB - Project X LZ

Vokey SM6 - 52/56/60 - DG S200

Evnroll - ER5 

• 7 months later...

You could do Owasso Golf and Athletic Club - https://www.owassogolfac.com/membership

Its a decent track for the price, has a pool and work out facilities.

Bailey is comparable, but usually more busy. - https://cdn.cybergolf.com/images/1857/membership-rack-cards-2016.pdf

But honestly, you gotta do the Patriot. $460/mo if you are less than 35 yo (just guessing by the young kids). It's the nicest course in the area second only to Southern Hills. But likely the most fun.

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 10 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping G400 16.5 deg - Oban Kiyoshi White 04

Ping i59 4-PW - PX IO 6.0, 1” long

Vokey SM7 Jet Black 52-56-60 

Scotty Cameron 2018 Newport 3

But honestly, you gotta do the Patriot. $460/mo if you are less than 35 yo (just guessing by the young kids). It's the nicest course in the area second only to Southern Hills. But likely the most fun.

Turned 34 last week. Saw Patriot when I was googling and it might be a little too rich. I'm a redneck who likes to golf.

I did see that Bailey Ranch had a dual membership deal with another course that was further south.

What is the public scene like? Decent tracks?

What are the grasses? I am assuming similar to where I am in KY, zoysia or bermuda fairways and bent greens? Maybe some new strain bermuda greens sprinkled in.

The ones you can afford mostly are gonna be public except Owasso Golf & AC. I'd say cheapest private you're looking at $300/mo plus initiation.

Bailey's other course Battle Creek is nice and fun too if you're down in the area, but it's a decent little ways down from Owasso (20 min maybe).

And except the high end privates with zoysia, everyone else has bermuda fairways which does really well here with it being hot and a good amount of rain each summer. Most eveyone has bent greens as well, which can start looking a little rough in August/Sept but by and large do good most places most of the year. I just find and play the courses whose greens are rolling decent at that time. Plenty of good public options though, with cheap membership options.

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t have a ton of experience up in Owasso, I live in Broken Arrow, but if I lived closer to The Patriot I would take a VERY hard look at joining. It’s a cool place, and utterly unique in topography in the area. The few times I’ve played out there conditions are top notch. I’ve been to Owasso Golf & Athletic once. I would say it’s fine, the younger you are the more affordable it is. The design is nothing memorable and conditions are “fine”. I would say it has the feel of a decent muni with less traffic. It does feel a little cramped to me, but I clearly recognize the value; I thought about the Broken Arrow version, but it is not a convenient location. I would say I like Bailey better than OG&A, but it can be crowded. Best of luck finding a place.

WITB

I don’t have a ton of experience up in Owasso, I live in Broken Arrow, but if I lived closer to The Patriot I would take a VERY hard look at joining. It’s a cool place, and utterly unique in topography in the area. The few times I’ve played out there conditions are top notch. I’ve been to Owasso Golf & Athletic once. I would say it’s fine, the younger you are the more affordable it is. The design is nothing memorable and conditions are “fine”. I would say it has the feel of a decent muni with less traffic. It does feel a little cramped to me, but I clearly recognize the value; I thought about the Broken Arrow version, but it is not a convenient location. I would say I like Bailey better than OG&A, but it can be crowded. Best of luck finding a place.

Agree with all of these sentiments.

Just an attempt to revive this whole conversation, what does the current crop of Tulsa area WRXers think about the old public vs private debate?

I’ve been trying to talk myself into a private for 5 years now, but haven’t been successful (yet). Forest Ridge has such a good daily fee product.

WITB

For me, it will all vary case by case due to location and amount of use. I was spending so much due to heavy play last summer/fall, I got a membership. If you live in BA and don't play enough to justify a membership, you are right that Forest Ridge is a great course to play, especially with those golfnow deals. I used them a lot last summer. I think Golf Club of OK is another membership worth looking into if you live nearby, but I can't justify the drive. TCC and Oaks seem overpriced to me. I can't comment on Indian Hills Springs or Cedar Ridge as I have never played them.

Another really good daily product is the Hard Rock golf course. Get a players card, then it's $40 any day of the week, and usually not crowded. Its a great test. Could never play it every day because it beats me down everytime I go out there - I can be hitting the driver great for weeks beforehand then out there I lose 4 off the tee.

• 3 weeks later...

Meadowbrook member here. I keep hearing it will close but it never does. Until then the location cant be beat. Also, they have the most underrated greens in Tulsa. I place the highest value on how convenient it is for me to hit balls or play a few holes on the way home from work. With a young family time is important. My .02.

I'm glad you spoke up. I've been hearing it is turning into a subdivision for the past 2 years! So no truth to the rumors?

gbut,

Would love to hear more.  Will Meadowbrook survive past the 2019 golf season?  How are the conditions holding up and how is the staff?  I would think its hard to hold onto good folks if the future is uncertain.

WITB

Hopefully Meadowbrook can hold out and remain a golf course. With our course closed for renovations, we have played there a bunch this fall and winter and it has been fun. That said, Tulsa has a pretty tremendous line-up of private courses and I think Golf Club is very hard to beat. The quality of design is very hard to ignore and they do a nice job of conditioning out there.

I am a member at Cedar Ridge and would highly recommend you check it out. Great course and a lots of good guys to play with. No problem getting a game. Excellent practice facilities and pro staff.

Call 918-252-2501 and ask for Greg Clour, he is the membership director. He can show you the facilities and set you up to play the course.

vpexp, I live about half mile east of Cedar and I look longingly over the (new) wall when I drive past. Beautiful (challenging) course, but I don't think my family is that interested in all the additional amenities (pool, dining, tennis) so I wasn't seeing as much value with the additional cost at Cedar vs. somewhere like Golf Club or Meadowbrook. Do you find your family uses the club frequently (for non-golf activities)?

SHGolfer, I agree the design and conditions at Golf Club are great and the seclusion is nice, too (it just makes it harder to get to). Maybe if I join Golf Club, I could have you out to sometime and then you could invite me to "your course" after the renovations are complete. (I"m sure whatever course that is it would be fun,:wink:).

WITB

> @OK_Golf said:

> vpexp, I live about half mile east of Cedar and I look longingly over the (new) wall when I drive past. Beautiful (challenging) course, but I don't think my family is that interested in all the additional amenities (pool, dining, tennis) so I wasn't seeing as much value with the additional cost at Cedar vs. somewhere like Golf Club or Meadowbrook. Do you find your family uses the club frequently (for non-golf activities)?

>

> SHGolfer, I agree the design and conditions at Golf Club are great and the seclusion is nice, too (it just makes it harder to get to). Maybe if I join Golf Club, I could have you out to sometime and then you could invite me to "your course" after the renovations are complete. (I"m sure whatever course that is it would be fun,:wink:).

My main reason for belonging to Cedar Ridge is largely due to the quality of the golf course and practice facilities. The other amenities are nice but even without them I would choose CR over the other courses you mention. Meadowbrook is closing and Golf Club due to location would not be an option for me. Also, GC seems to have been struggling over the last several years in maintaining the quality of the course, although I have not played there recently and perhaps they have put those issues behind them. I do know number of guys have moved from GC to CR over the last few years.

I would suggest you come out and play the course and look things over and see what you think. This would be a good time to join as there are a few spots available and the golf season is just getting started.

Let me know if I can help in any way!

• 2 weeks later...

> @SHGolfer said:

> Hopefully Meadowbrook can hold out and remain a golf course. With our course closed for renovations, we have played there a bunch this fall and winter and it has been fun. That said, Tulsa has a pretty tremendous line-up of private courses and I think Golf Club is very hard to beat. The quality of design is very hard to ignore and they do a nice job of conditioning out there.

I love the Golf Club. Probably one of my favorites in the area. I was out at SH a couple of weeks ago, reno is looking great. What are your thoughts on it?

• 3 weeks later...

Not a member but I have played at Meadowbrook a handful of times and will be playing there again May 10th, I really enjoy that course but am not sure on membership quality. I did have a membership at Broken Arrow Golf and Athletic Club but it was too crowded for me so I just stick to rotating the public courses until I can afford a true country club membership.

> I love the Golf Club. Probably one of my favorites in the area. I was out at SH a couple of weeks ago, reno is looking great. What are your thoughts on it?

>

Hanse's work on the course looks be outstanding. I am most excited about the restoration of the split fairway on 2, the lowering of all tee boxes to blend into the terrain better, the relocation of the 14th green to be further away from 61st street, the complete re-do of 7 and the movement of several fairway bunkers downrange and less deep. The downside of the renovations include the daylighting of several creeks that will now be in play on 3, 4, 10, 11, 17 and 18. I bet when it is all said and done the course will play 2 shots harder for most of us. It will also be nice to see if the hydronic system installed under all of the greens will really be able to allow our bent greens to play fast and hard during July and August. We shall see but I am ready for June 1st.

> @SHGolfer said:

>

> > I love the Golf Club. Probably one of my favorites in the area. I was out at SH a couple of weeks ago, reno is looking great. What are your thoughts on it?

> >

>

> Hanse's work on the course looks be outstanding. I am most excited about the restoration of the split fairway on 2, the lowering of all tee boxes to blend into the terrain better, the relocation of the 14th green to be further away from 61st street, the complete re-do of 7 and the movement of several fairway bunkers downrange and less deep. The downside of the renovations include the daylighting of several creeks that will now be in play on 3, 4, 10, 11, 17 and 18. I bet when it is all said and done the course will play 2 shots harder for most of us. It will also be nice to see if the hydronic system installed under all of the greens will really be able to allow our bent greens to play fast and hard during July and August. We shall see but I am ready for June 1st.

I’m super jealous of the new replica greens. That’s gotta be the sickest setup in Tulsa now. I use to like cedars facilities more but this is now top notch from the looks

• 3 months later...

Would love to here the latest views on Tulsa area private clubs, particularly south side of town: Meadowbrook, Cedar Ridge, Golf Club of OK, Oaks. Southern Hills is out of my league (and needs no review in my opinion, but share if you wish). I know each are different experiences/different level of club, but would love to hear what current/recent members are thinking right now.

WITB

Couldn't be happier with The Patriot. Conditions are perfect, great events/tourneys, fun people to be around. Best decision I have made.

• 1 month later...

I just moved here from Tennessee in early July. I drive past Meadowbrook everyday on my way home from work and finally decided to just pull the trigger after going to public courses and waiting behind 6somes that wouldn't let people play through.

I haven't played it yet, and they're starting green aeration tomorrow, but when I toured and drove the course it was in pristine condition. I will report back in a few weeks after I take my hacks. Hopefully it doesn't close at years end! I haven't heard anything other than the articles posted here. In my opinion a housing development even after buying land is something that could take years to get approval, blue prints, etc etc. So I can holding out hope it stays open for a few more years that I can enjoy it.

I also feel that aerating the greens now is a good sign for the future of 2019.

I just moved here from Tennessee in early July. I drive past Meadowbrook everyday on my way home from work and finally decided to just pull the trigger after going to public courses and waiting behind 6somes that wouldn't let people play through.

I haven't played it yet, and they starting green aeration tomorrow, but when I toured and drove the course it was in pristine condition. I will report back in a few weeks after I take my hacks. Hopefully it doesn't close at years end! I haven't heard anything other than the articles posted here. In my opinion a housing development even after buying land is something that could take years to complete, get approval, etc etc. Hopefully Meadowbrook has a few more years left in it for us to enjoy.