2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Titleist AP2 and AP3 review, I got mine!!

KirkNo-yes

I got my new 718 AP2's sunday morning. (They came in saturday afternoon). I couldn't WAIT to hit these bad boys after they were my exact specs. I am happy to say they didn't disappoint. I was a little nervous hitting new clubs when I haven't swung a club in over a week. Hurricane Harvey kept me indoors. I warmed up with my old clubs to get the feel of hitting the ball and not wanting to possibly have a "bad" strike mark on the faces. Weather was perfect and grass was freshly cut.

My Specs: 58K grind Low bounce ,54m ,50 F ,46F deg wedges are all Vokey SM6 raw that have all been ported with two holes to raise the CG up a little. Standard length and loft is same as on wedge. Shafts are all Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400.

9iron -5iron- 718 AP2 with Project X 6.5. 3 deg flat with standard loft and length. (previous irons were 9-5 iron 716 AP2's with Project X Flighted 6.0 with 1/2" tip)

3&4iron- 718 AP3 with Project X 6.5 3 deg flat with -2 loft and standard length. (previous was 716 4 iron with Project X Flighted with 1/2" tip, 712U 3 iron with Project X Flighted 6.0 NOT tipped)

1. Looks- When I pulled them out they were just as gorgeous as I remembered them from a few weeks ago. the topline of the new 718 has been beveled in a way to make it appear a little thinner than the 716's. The Blade is compact and looks great. The badging on the back is clean and doesn't look cheap like previous models. The leading edge of each one of the AP2's has been beveled so that they shallow out the divot. One thing I noticed a little different on the new model vs. the 716 is there has been grinding done on the trailing edge to thin the sole out and help cut thru the turf. The AP3 in my eyes looks from the topline much closer to the 716 blade. the sole is a little thicker than the 716 4 iron. It has had the leading edge beveled as well but not as much on the trailing edge. When I had originally looked and hit the AP3 i noticed at address you could see the bottom of the cavity ever so slightly but this time I never noticed it. Possibly because I had the loft weekend. The offset is not overwhelming . I was worried that the slightly more offset would cause me to be paranoid of hooking it or not being able to hit a fade. The iron is beautiful and the back of the iron is very clean and blends nicely into the set. No complaints at all from me.

2. Feel- Wow. this is where they really stand out. Now, I'm aware that the shafts aren't the same but I went with the 6.5's because they no longer make the flighted shafts and the 6.0's were just a little too whippy feeling and the 6.5's felt closer to them.The first thing I noticed was the crispness of the irons. The 716's always felt like they packed a punch but had a muted crisp feel. The 718's in my mind felt a little "crispier" thru impact than what I was expecting and remembered. The trajectory was around the same height as my 716's from the 9-7 iron. I wasn't surprised as it takes a wild redesign to bring the flight down considerably. The height was fine and I wasn't surprised. What I was surprised about was the height of the 6&5 iron. I know that good players apex is roughly the same but what I am talking about is the miss hits. The solid shots apexed just about where I was expecting on solid shots but the slight toe shots and heel shots still apexed at a height I was pleasantly surprised. The mid irons were definitely a big improvement over the 716's even though they feel and look more like a players club. Well done. The AP3 is just so good. I tend to not like wider soled irons but this thing plays and feels anything BUT like a game improvement iron. Titleist knocked this iron out of the park. It apexed at a nice beautiful height EVEN on miss hits and still went further than expected. I played 18 holes today with them and on hole number 3 @ Bluejack National it is 225 yards from where I play. The pin was 8 paces back so it was 233 today. normally at this distance I would hit a hybrid choked down a little (18 deg) because i hit my 4 iron 215 off the tee. Today I said well let's see what happens. I hit it just off center toward the toe but not by very much and it still flew 220 yards and skipped stopped in the middle. I was shocked. They did a wonderful job on both irons when it comes to the feel.

3. Workability- The 718's are exactly what I was hoping I would get that I couldn't get with the 716's. The one thing I haven't been able to do with a lot of success is flight the ball down with my short irons in the 716's. Look, it's not like I can't but there is just a higher % chance they will still up shoot. The 718's so far seem to be able to flight slightly easier. I haven't spent a TON of time trying to do it but with the 10 or so balls I tried to flight down with my 8 iron seem to hold a more piercing line than what my 716's would. As for left right movement they worked the ball fine. I play a slight draw and there was nothing in these that shows me that it isn't easy to work the ball. The AP3 tends to go a slight bit straighter than the AP2's but with my 4 iron I am not looking to have to move the ball a ton. I would say ( have hit it about 15 times including range and play) that it goes straight and falls left or right ever so slightly and it comes in at a WONDERFUL decent to land and stop on the green. The 718's are not some magically wonderful new iron over the 716 in terms of workability, that would be pure propaganda. They ARE wonderful feeling irons and really produce a beautiful flight.

4. Conclusion- Titleist knocked it out of the park with these irons. I do believe that the improvements that They made on the AP2's moved them closer to a true players club and took what little bit of "game improvement" there might be in them out. They look better and cut thru the turf FAR better. Especially on tighter fairways and firmer lies. The badging on the back was a HUGE improvement and in my estimation moved closer to what some of the other irons in this space look like ( see TM 750, Srixon, Callaway apex forged, etc). the AP3's will be one of the best selling irons Titleist ever makes. they truly knocked it out of the park with these. The look and playability of them don't feel like a GI iron at all.

Hope this helps and I will try to add some pics tomorrow morning.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe that the improvements that They made on the AP2's moved them closer to a true players club and took what little bit of "game improvement" there might be in them out.

+1

i tried the new AP27 18 vs my AP2 716. 716`s are more forgiving in my opinion.

Titleist TSR2 Driver 10*

Titleist TSI2 16.5*

Titleist TSR1 hybrid 20*

Titleist U510 4 iron

Titleist C16 Limited 5-GW

Titleist Vokey SM9 54° & 58°

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+ Special Select

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Scotty Cameron Newport 2

It would make sense that they made the AP2s more of a players iron because they expect the AP3 to fill that GI\Players CB hybrid slot in between the AP2s and the AP1s. However, let's not forget there is still the 818 CB and the TMBs after the AP2. Quite the line of choices.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

It would make sense that they made the AP2s more of a players iron because they expect the AP3 to fill that GI\Players CB hybrid slot in between the AP2s and the AP1s. However, let's not forget there is still the 818 CB and the TMBs after the AP2. Quite the line of choices.

I played with my local Titleist Rep last weekend and was askin* him this very question.....he was using AP3 and boy do they look nice.....I asked though if it meant that they had moved the AP2 to more of a players club but he said no, it was no less forgivin* than last years as it is so popular on tour

I played with my local Titleist Rep last weekend and was askin* him this very question.....he was using AP3 and boy do they look nice.....I asked though if it meant that they had moved the AP2 to more of a players club but he said no, it was no less forgivin* than last years as it is so popular on tour

Hmmm...so then the big question... if the AP2 are identical in forgiveness as the 716s, how similar are the AP3 to the 818 AP1s.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

How did you get yours this early? I ordered mine Monday, was hoping to have them by month end.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

I thought I read on their website or it was one of their R&D guys in the video, say that the AP2 MOI numbers were on par with the MOI numbers of an AP1 of a few versions ago. That to me, said there is still some forgiveness, if not more.

/ What's in my bag is more than meets the eye /

Kirk, do you think weakening the lofts 2 degrees on the AP3's helped a good bit in making the offset look more similar to the AP2's? Did you notice any difference in the way they went through the turf with the weakened lofts compared to the ones you tested earlier (presumably with the standard loft/bounce)?

Thanks!

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I thought I read on their website or it was one of their R&D guys in the video, say that the AP2 MOI numbers were on par with the MOI numbers of an AP1 of a few versions ago. That to me, said there is still some forgiveness, if not more.

Titleist is saying that the 718 AP2s are as forgiving as the 714 AP1s and that with the additional tungsten used in the heel and toe that it is increasing MOI. I haven't received mine yet, but when I was getting fit for them I personally thought they felt more forgiving in my opinion than the 716s. I have nothing to base that on than my opinion, but I know the MOI numbers are comparable to the 714 AP1

snl season 43 GIF by Saturday Night Live

Driver: :smilie_ping:G425 LST 9* ++ Fujikura Speeder 661 TR X-Flex

Fairway: :smilie_ping:G425 LST 14.5*++ Ping Tour 85 X-Flex

Hybrid: :smilie_ping:G425 3H Crossover 20* Ventus HB 9-TX

Irons: :smilie_ping:i59 4-PW Project X LS 6.5 +1/4" Red Dot

Wedges: :smilie_ping:Glide Forged Pro 50*, 54* & 60* (w/ WRX Grind)  KBS Tour S 120

Putter: :smilie_ping:Custom built PLD Anser D Prototype Patina Finish, Custom Paint Fill, 35.25" 2.5* 21* Lie

Bag: :smilie_ping:Hoofer Tour Stand Bag

I demoed both 7 irons yesterday and I was surprised at how similar the offset appeared on each one. Haven't looked a spec sheet but the offset didn't look like it would be a problem in a mixed set, especially if one is weakening the ap3's 2 degrees and decreasing the offset.

One thing I can say is that the sound and feel of the two is Extremely different. The 2's sound and feel so much better it's not even really fair to compare them.

I was truly impressed with the look, launch height, distance, and forgiveness on the 3's but I think Titleist really screwed up by not making them sound and feel better. That stuff can be engineered now. A very Good golf club, but they really blew it in this respect in my not so humble opinion. ; ).

They should still sell tons of them, but the guys that really like that forged sound and feel will never convert. Very "clicky" and high pitched at impact.

Edit....as this thread is suggesting, mixing in the 3,4, and maybe even the 5 should be really good for a lot of guys. The thought being that they aren't used as much and the scoring clubs will still really sound and feel great..

I demoed both 7 irons yesterday and I was surprised at how similar the offset appeared on each one. Haven't looked a spec sheet but the offset didn't look like it would be a problem in a mixed set, especially if one is weakening the ap3's 2 degrees and decreasing the offset.

One thing I can say is that the sound and feel of the two is Extremely different. The 2's sound and feel so much better it's not even really fair to compare them.

I was truly impressed with the look, launch height, distance, and forgiveness on the 3's but I think Titleist really screwed up by not making them sound and feel better. That stuff can be engineered now. A very Good golf club, but they really blew it in this respect in my not so humble opinion. ; ).

They should still sell tons of them, but the guys that really like that forged sound and feel will never convert. Very "clicky" and high pitched at impact.

Edit....as this thread is suggesting, mixing in the 3,4, and maybe even the 5 should be really good for a lot of guys. The thought being that they aren't used as much and the scoring clubs will still really sound and feel great..

+1. My concerns about pulling the trigger on a set of AP3's and moving away from my 716 AP2's are in regards to the feel. I have only hit an AP3 demo iron indoors and off a mat... from what I could tell the AP3's are much more firm and "clicky" feeling... Maybe they would feel different off actual grass and playing conditions...

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

Eeeeh. Might feel and sound a hair better off of grass with good balls but I doubt very much. They have a very distinct "clickiness" thing going on.

It's just one of those things that a lot of people might say, screw it, the performance is really what matters. "I'll get used to it".

A little like the srixon XV I've been playing all year. The overall performance is so darn good for me that I chose to overlook the fact That I wish they felt and sounded softer off the putter and on short wedge shots. Sometimes you have to settle if it makes sense in the bigger picture.

Nice review and congrats on getting the set so soon!

I'm planning on a mixed set of AP3 and AP2, but I'm not sure where to break the combo. I was thinking at the 5 or 6 iron. Also, I have not hit them yet, but the shop said I didn't need to adjust the lofts. My initial thought was to have the AP3 bent 2* weak like the OP.

Wow, you got them early! Hook up or did they just ship them early?

I know some people who got the AP3 early because they fell off a truck.

Yeah, I pre ordered so I am hoping to get them sooner than October.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

How did you get yours this early? I ordered mine Monday, was hoping to have them by month end.

I'm a Titleist Amateur Ambassador, kind of like how AJGA players get equipment and College players who play for companies, but I don't get crazy things like they do and I'm on Team Titleist I know another guy on here who like me got his this week for the same reasons.

I would tell anyone and everyone on here to join Team Titleist. I know everyone thinks it might be corny or you don't get anything. I can tell you that if you are a member and you are active and spend time in the community on the webpage things will appear in your mailbox and you get invited to do cool things like hit clubs before other people. Hell I hit the 917 drivers before 98% of the PGA Tour players. Titleist takes care of people who participate in what they do and show a serious loyalty to them. If you email them and say I play the ball and have my whole life give me free stuff your emails will go unanswered. I promise. EVERYONE plays their ball ( and don't start the " I don't, I play bridgestone or blah blah blah". They OWN the ball counts on every tour known to man) and they get hundreds of emails a day asking them for free stuff.

For the ambassador you need to have a playing resume that has you playing in a LOT of amateur events. USGA, Invitationals, State Opens, State Amateurs. Not local events that offer no ranking points or are handicapped. Titleist has varying levels of this type of stuff, Balls and gloves only, Balls and Gloves and discounted equipment, All equipment, All equipment and foot joy products.

Wow, you got them early! Hook up or did they just ship them early?

see^^^^^

Kirk, do you think weakening the lofts 2 degrees on the AP3's helped a good bit in making the offset look more similar to the AP2's? Did you notice any difference in the way they went through the turf with the weakened lofts compared to the ones you tested earlier (presumably with the standard loft/bounce)?

Thanks!

So interestingly enough I bent them back to the original loft today because I felt they were launching a tad bit too high. i jumped on trackman with that ap3 and my 716 AP2 and after I returned the loft to the original one I was launching them within a half degree to a degree of my 716's. When it was bent weak I didn't have ANY problems cutting thru the turf at all. No problems now either. I know people will ask about the issues potentially with gapping and I'm not worried. I started looking at how many times I hit a four iron on the course and frankly even playing from 7300 yards I hit it maybe 2 times off the tee to greens that it wouldn't hurt to have a little more club too and maybe once or twice at the most off the turf. I hit a few on trackman choked down about a half inch or a hair more and it was flying about the same if not a few yards longer than my 716 4 iron.

You know, this may sound crazy at first, put you could actually bend the ap3 3 iron and 4 iron STRONGER a degree or maybe even two, and then ALSO CARRY an ap2 4 iron at the standard 24 degrees. This should solve the gaping issues but you would have to drop a club somewhere to stay at 14.

You know, this may sound crazy at first, put you could actually bend the ap3 3 iron and 4 iron STRONGER a degree or maybe even two, and then ALSO CARRY an ap2 4 iron at the standard 24 degrees. This should solve the gaping issues but you would have to drop a club somewhere to stay at 14.

The only concern with that is the lofts they designed these with are very specific to the achieve the optimum launch angles which are similar to the "normal" lofts on the AP2/MB/CB etc and they get up and apex just a hair higher than the others. I'm concerned we would see the same problem which I saw when I ben it weak. Interesting idea for sure. Will have to talk with Titliest folks to see their thoughts.

I was at the TPI iron fitting and pre -preordered and don't have mine lol

I was thinking the EXACT same thing as I was reading this, haha.

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Irons: Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Mk II w/ Nippon Modus 115 LE Black Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

• 2 months later...

The only concern with that is the lofts they designed these with are very specific to the achieve the optimum launch angles which are similar to the "normal" lofts on the AP2/MB/CB etc and they get up and apex just a hair higher than the others. I'm concerned we would see the same problem which I saw when I ben it weak. Interesting idea for sure. Will have to talk with Titliest folks to see their thoughts.

@ KirkNo-yes,

I was just fit for Titleist’s new line of clubs and came away with a recommendation to either do a full set of AP2’s with a Hybrid replacement for my 3iron... or consider a mixed set of AP3’s and AP2’s. I was googling feedback from people which went with the mixed set and found this thread which addresses my same concerns with the loft adjustments.

I also noticed from your signature it seems you have since moved away from the AP3/AP2 mixed set and gone with 718 AP2’s in 4-9 and added a Hybrid & 5 wood into the top end of your set.

I’m curious about your thoughts about your old setup vs. the new setup as well as any pluses & minuses that you feel are worth noting.

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in blending AP3 with AP2. My thought is to get standard loft AP3 in 3 and 4 iron and AP2 5-pw with the 5 iron bent 1* strong. 4* loft gaps throughout with minimal alterations. Anybody else went with this set up?

I have that exact setup minus the 3 iron. Works well. MP 18 may beat these out, so BST may be in their future.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

Anyone know how the 718 AP2 look compared to the 714 AP2? Specifically the top line and sole width? Which one is bigger?

Thanks

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

I tried to like the AP3 as it looked good and quite a few local pro's I know use them- I cant get over the definite clickiness and the occasional hot cast face shot.

Went for 4 fittings and totally convinced now 718 AP2 is the club for me- Project X LZ shafts (never had a Project X shaft before)- I considered a combo set with an AP3 4 iron but I dont see the point.

Awaiting them being made and its my Christmas present to myself after decades away from Titleist, I've now come home.