2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

APPLY: Member testing TaylorMade M CGB irons! 5 Members Wanted.

HipCheck

ABOUT TAYLORMADE M CCB IRONS

With its new M CGB irons, TaylorMade sought to provide golfers with a high-end product that provides the performance of a super game-improvement iron, but doesn’t look like it’s the size of a woodshed. TaylorMade's Too Bystedt and his product development team also wanted to offer better sound and feel than super-GI golfers are used to.

That being the case, TaylorMade packed the M CGB irons with technologies from the company’s past, and a few new features as well, to make them the most forgiving and longest irons in the company’s stable.

TO APPLY YOU MUST BE:

• A GolfWRX member in good standing from the US
  • A handicap of 18 or greater
  • Ready and willing to post reviews
  • In a post below, answer the following:
    • ​Current USGA handicap
    • What are your current irons and shafts (be specific)
    • State why you'd want to test the TaylorMade M CGB Irons.

Note: If selected, you'll be expected to contribute to a testing thread with photos and reviews.

HOW PARTICIPANTS ARE SELECTED: GolfWRX will evaluate the posts of applicants submitted by the deadline of EOD September 17. Invitations are sent via GolfWRX message system. If any participant does not confirm within 6 hours of being notified, they will be replaced.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a post below, answer the following:

• ​Current USGA handicap - 18.9
  • What are your current irons and shafts (be specific) - Rballz & Rbladez (See signature) with the stock shafts in stiff
  • State why you'd want to test the TaylorMade M CGB Irons. Taylormade claims ultimate distance and forgiveness without sacrificing looks or feel... I'd like to put that to the test vs my Taylormade Rocketbladez.

• ​Current USGA handicap - non-USGA, but unofficially, 18
  • What are your current irons and shafts (be specific) - Mizuno 2016 JPX EZ Forged TT XP95 R300 4i-GW
  • State why you'd want to test the TaylorMade M CGB Irons. - As a short hitter who could always benefit from a boost in distance, I'm curious to see how these TM irons would perform on course. I was considering the 2016 M1 irons before buying the Mizuno's and appreciated how easy they were to hit, but launch monitor numbers were showing huge dropoffs in spin without any increase in descent angle.

Fort Worth, Texas- Golf Club at the Resort

Handicap- 7.4

Current Set Up- Nike Vapor Pro Combo Set, 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300

I have mainly played with blades and recently have been struggling to keep consistent weight shift, leading to think usually hook shots. Been wanting to try a more GI iron but with so many having a thick topline it is hard to be consistent. 4 iron is usually max carry around 195 and would like to play longer Par 3's with iron opposed to hybrid.

Never mind, just realized its 18+, thought it was opposite. Trying to delete.

• Current USGA handicap Not official USGA, but 20 at the moment
  • What are your current irons and shafts (be specific)Titleist 981 DCI 3-PW with Original Rifle Shafts 6.5, 3/4" over
  • State why you'd want to test the TaylorMade M CGB Irons. As you can tell from my irons, they are 15+ year old golf clubs that I used when I played a lot of junior golf. I've been on a 10-year golf hiatus and have just started playing again in the last month. I am nowhere as good as I used to be and cannot hit these irons anymore! These Taylormade irons sound like a great option for me as they offer the forgiveness and new technology that is currently not present in my 981 DCI's. Love the fact that the irons are super forgiving, but not shovels.

• ​Current USGA handicap - 6.0
  • What are your current irons and shafts (be specific) - Srixon Z565, 5-AW, N.S. Pro 980 shafts, +1 length, 2 deg upright
  • State why you'd want to test the TaylorMade M CGB Irons. Distance without sacrificing feel is always a priority in my book.
  • WIsh I could apply but understand Handicap is not over 18

Callaway Epic Max LS
Callaway Epic Speed Fairway
Callaway X Forged 21* UT
Callaway Apex 21, 5-AW
Callaway MD4, 52, 56, 60
Scotty Cameron, Squareback 2

I guess most are not really reading the requirements or I'm just confused...

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

• ​Current USGA handicap Unofficial only because I am not a member- 18.4
  • What are your current irons and shafts (be specific) Cobra Amp D 4- 50*GW with crappy stock stiff shaft, True Temper Dyanlite 90g
  • State why you'd want to test the TaylorMade M CGB Irons Well my current clubs are not exactly forgiving or long and are about 2 generations behind current iron designs. So I would love to see what the weight placement can do for my mishits.

Cheers and fingers crossed.

• ​Current USGA handicap - N/A but consistently shoot in the 90s (looking to join a course this upcoming year to get an official handicap)
  • What are your current irons and shafts (be specific) - Rbladez with KBS Tour 90 stiff .5" longer and 2 degrees upright
  • State why you'd want to test the TaylorMade M CGB Irons. I am a big believer in Taylormade's products and technology. As a generally new golfer and one that doesn't play a round as often as they'd like, I need all the help I can get at the moment as I'm honing and perfecting my swing. I probably should be using a set of Super GI irons but I could never move past the look of them as well as get them past a grandfather that grew up playing on the links of Scotland. Also as you can see I'm still gaming what I feel is the best GI iron set that TM has ever come out with and I'd love to test TM's claims with their new GI set vs my Taylormade Rocketbladez. I've tried all of their sets Rsi, M2, etc. and have yet to find a set that knocks my Bladez out of my bag.

Current USGA handicap: 20.1

Current irons: Callaway X-Forged 4-PW, Project X 6.5 shafts

Why: I used to play game improvement irons (Adams Redline) for a couple of years, and when I got a little better I switched to the these Callaways because of look and feel. The look of most GI irons really didn't appeal to me, and somehow gave me less confidence on the tee. I've been using my Callaways for 3 years now and while I still really like them, I've lately been wondering how a set of GI irons would help me, as I am still an inconsistent ballstriker and definitely lose some distance and accuracy off of mishits (my current irons aren't so forgiving for that). The biggest issue is feel off mishits - while there is great feedback, it's such a thud and unpleasant feeling that it gets in your head. I just recently bought a TaylorMade M2 3HL, and currently play a TaylorMade rescue hybrid. I'm curious how irons like these, that present fairly normal when at address - but may have a larger sweet spot for mishits - could help with consistency over a few rounds at the same course.

• ​Current USGA handicap - 22 (yes I went from a 16 to a 22 this year... embarrassing ain't it?)
  • What are your current irons and shafts (be specific) - JPX 900 forged, Recoil i95 Regular flex, std l/l/l
  • State why you'd want to test the TaylorMade M CGB Irons. - For starters I am the perfect I can use plenty of forgiveness in my irons guy as I can strike the ball well most of the time but I lack the consistency to hit the center with every shot. Because of this I'm really wanting to start playing more of a GI or SGI club looking for increased distance and forgiveness. Back around 2006 I played the RAC CGB irons and thought they were really a game changer at the time. Really love the direction Taylormade is going with its clubs and would love to get my hands on these to review. Also it would be awesome if the new CGB's follow in the footsteps of the RAC's!

A handicap of 18 or greater

This is GolfWRX. Nobody has a handicap of 18 or greater!

haha exactly! I tend to think of myself as a pretty good golfer (10 handicap), but it does seem like everyone is hovering around a 1-2. I always think that I have a long ways to go, so it's nice to see that I'm not the only one that sees this

Current USGA handicap:

18.7, down from 22 earlier this year!

Current iron set:

Adams Idea Black CB3 with FST KBS Tour 90 in X flex - 4-AW

Why I want to test the TaylorMade M CGB Irons:

I feel like a good fit for this iron. I've experimented with several iron sets over the past 2 seasons and feel like I have a good baseline to compare similar GI and SGI clubs. Had a lot of success with the TaylorMade RSI1 irons last year and these look like an improvement over that line. I have recently been professionally fitted for the G400, Steelhead XR, Mizuno 900 Hot Metal, and the Callaway XR OS. It appears to me that your new line will be a great competitor to those lines, and as I look to purchase a new iron set for next season I am excited with what I'm reading about the M CGB.

The Adams CB3 are forged GI/SGI clubs with great feel, I am really looking forward to finding the clubs that can finally knock them out of the bag for good.

Preferred shafts are KBS C-Taper lite 115g, Project X 6.5 125g, or the KBS Tour 130g - all in X flex.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Mizuno hot metal nippon modus 105.

The mizuno have been great, feel and perform really good. I want to see how they compare to the hot metal.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

• Current USGA handicap 20.9
  • What are your current irons and shafts (be specific) Ping G 4-PW+UW PX 6.0 (also have Cobra F7 One 5-PW+GW+SW for comparison)
  • State why you'd want to test the TaylorMade M CGB Irons. I am always searching for the holy grail of GI/SGI irons that are going to help me improve my game. I would embrace the opportunity to provide an review of your new irons, and would enjoy being able to support both TaylorMade and the GolfWRX community in presenting a detailed unbiased review of your latest club offerings. My game is a perfect match for the target consumer of this line of clubs. Lastly, the weather in New Mexico allows me to play year round golf, so weather won't be a factor in my ability to present the review in a timely fashion. :golfer:

Thank you for the opportunity TM and GolfWRX!

​Current USGA handicap - Unofficially around a 19. Been shooting scores of 90-95 with occasional rounds of 100.

What are your current irons and shafts (be specific) - Currently I am gaming a set of Srixon 545s, s/s/s with s300 shafts

State why you'd want to test the TaylorMade M CGB Irons.- I am excited that Golfwrx is finally offering an opportunity for mere mortals like myself the opportunity to test a club that is designed for our demographic. Lately, I have become more realistic with my game, and my limitations. Specifically, my life situation with young kids, long commute, and occupied weekends just don't allow me the luxury of practice, and I am only able to play a round every 3-4 weeks.

Years ago, I felt I had made tremendous strides with my swing, and ditched a set of sgi clubs for a set of Mizuno mp-53. Unsurprisingly, my scores did not improve a bit, but the joy of flushing a forged Mizuno kept me from moving to a club that was more suited for my game. Fast forward to earlier this year, after purchasing a set of Srixon 545, I felt my iron game improved dramatically with the increased forgiveness. More importantly, I was able to identify shots that were poorly struck, that still had a favorable result with the Srixon, but which would have been punished greatly by the Mizunos. This experience has opened my eyes to the benefits of a club that is specifically designed for a higher handicapper like myself.

Coming back to this opportunity, I am hoping that these clubs will further help my game even more. I don't see a change in my practice time in the near future, so obviously any help that these clubs can offer me would be tremendous for my game. I love the fact that they look packed with technology, and really hope that there is a purpose and noticeable improvement with the tech other than aesthetics. I am a huge gear head, and love things that look industrially purposeful. I know this isn't anything similar to the Taylormade experience, but I gained a lot of respect from how the wrxer's were treated in their trips to the kingdom. The team over there really oozes class and show their passion for golf and gear. I am a huge equipment nerd, as evidenced by my sig.

Lastly, I also happen to be a photography nut and gear head, and do have quite a bit to say about things I am passionate about. Writing is one of my stronger suits, but this would be my first gear review. I read a lot of member reviews on here, so I think I have a good idea of what a good review should include. In any case, good luck to everyone and thanks for the opportunity!

Callaway Epic Max LS 9 degrees - Ventus Blue 5S
Sim Max 3HL 16.5 - Ventus Red 6S

Callaway Apex UW @21 - Ventus Red 7s
Titleist TS2 4H @23 - Ventus blue 8s
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G- Nippon 950GH
Titleist SM8 54, 60
Bettinardi Queen Bee 6 - Stability Shaft

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 - Stability Tour

Current handicap- (not USGA) is roughly 22.

Current irons- I have a set of Ping eye2 with the stiff zz-lite shafts and also a set of srixon z545 irons with the project x 6.0 steel shafts (probably a bit stiff for me)

I am still on the search for an iron that can handle my lack of consistent play time. I need help with off center hits and the occasional inability to hit the ball with confidence. The technology in these clubs seem to have a formula that could do that for me. I would love the opportunity to test and present my findings compared to my current clubs and can also use this as an excuse to get in more play and range time.

Thank you for the chance to review your new products TM and WRX

​Current USGA handicap - 18.4

What are your current irons and shafts (be specific) - Srixon z565 5-GW with DG AMT S400

State why you'd want to test the TaylorMade M CGB Irons. I think it's great that there is a testing opportunity for higher handicaps! I've realized that I need all the help I can get with my clubs, especially irons, since my playing time has decreased after having kids. I chose my current irons because they were a good blend of forgiveness and great feel. I know I would probably benefit from clubs that are closer to the SGI category but I have not found a set that had a good feel to them. Because of this, it would be really cool to be able to test the M CGB irons against my current z565 to see if they make this game a little easier while offering similar feel (because the z565s feel great).

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

• ​Current USGA handicap: USGA 25.0 (but improving -- down from 33 at start of season)
  • What are your current irons and shafts (be specific): Ping G Irons with AWT 2.0 Stiff shafts -- these were fitted for me (red dot, 1* strong, MCC + 4 grips).

I would love to test their newest irons -- and I am good TM customer and fan of their woods and hybrids (I game M2 woods and hybrids). That said -- I have found their M2 and M1 irons not to my liking during my fitting. But I would love to have a chance to check these out with some lighter weight stiff shafts.

Thanks!

PS: If it matters - I have an indoor practice setup with a SkyTrak LM so I will be able to discuss measurable differences, as well as access to a full range.

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange CK 60TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Mizuno T22 54* - Taylormade High Toe 58*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

​Current USGA handicap:

unofficialy 20-ish right now. Consistently shooting 90's

What are your current irons and shafts (be specific):

Mizuno jpx 850 standard LLL PX 5.0 fllighted - 1/2

State why you'd want to test the TaylorMade M CGB Irons:

BECAUSE I NEVER EVER MEET THE CRITERIA FOR A WRX CONTEST!

I also have 3 kids, and don't get the time to practice and play like I used to. My game is suffering because of it, and I need all the help I can get to consistently play decent, without playing or practicing consistently.

This is finally a contest right up my alley.

Also, I'm local to TM, so I can totally pick them up and save them some $ on shipping. Win-Win for everybody.

Unofficial 36

TaylorMade Burner with stock shafts that came with them.

I've been hearing good things about these clubs. I like how they are targeting higher handicaps and not forgetting about the little guys or the people that are new to the sport that may struggle with other sets of irons geared more towards lower handicap golfers. In some way I feel like these clubs were made for me while I continue to learn and improve.

• ​Current USGA handicap: 18
  • What are your current irons and shafts (be specific) Ping ie1 with Steelfiber i95s
  • State why you'd want to test the TaylorMade M CGB Irons I am looking for something that will provide me with forgiveness as well as distance. I have looked at some reviews of these clubs and they appear to go straight and far. I was fit for irons in January and would be interested to see how these compare.

Callaway Paradym 10.5* - Ventus TR Red
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red
Taylormade Stealth Hybrid 19* - Fujikura Ventus Red
Titleist T200 2023 4-PW Nippon Modus 120
Taylormade MG3 50, 54, Hi-Toe 60
Taylormade Spider GT Max

• ​Current USGA handicap - GHIN 19.3
  • What are your current irons and shafts (be specific) - CF16 4-PW, Nippon Modus Tour 120 X flex
  • State why you'd want to test the TaylorMade M CGB Irons. - Interested to see if I can get more consistent distances -- namely on off-center strikes. Also, curious to see if M CGB 4/5 irons are simply easier to hit than the CF16s.

Thanks!

• ​Current USGA handicap

I am hovering around a 20 handicap (currently 19.8) (keeping a handicap for the first time since 2003)

• What are your current irons and shafts (be specific)

Hogan Apex Edge forged with a stock regular shaft.

I am much like many golfers on here - avid golfer in my teens and early 20s and then life got in the way. Now that I am 40 I am finally back to playing regularly - about once a week. I played my best golf with one of the first game improvement irons - the original King Cobras. While I love my forged irons, my game needs something more forgiving. With work and other commitments, I simply do not have the time to practice and play well on more player irons. I am looking for something more forgiving while staying with a more traditional iron look. The Taylormade M CGG really appeal to me - and I feel I am the target audience for it. Higher handicap looking for a more traditional looking game improvement iron. I would love to be able to test the iron because: (1) I need irons that give me all the help I can get; (2) I am not man enough to play truly hybrid iron; and (3) I want irons that are a bit strongly lofted.

Thanks for the opportunity WRX!

Current handicap: 18.7

Current irons: Bridgestone ec603 irons with Nippon 950gh stiff flex shafts

I'd want to test the Taylormade M CBG irons because I'm looking for a set of irons that will give me max forgiveness and increase my distance so I have shorter irons for my approach shots. I want to make this game as simple as possible and focus on scoring and other clubs that I may struggle with mainly driver. Point and shoot is what I want on approach shots.

Testing: Sim2 8*, Rogue ST TD 9* 

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Callaway Paradym 4-AW Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 56 Denim Copper TI S400

Mizuno MCraft Type VI