2017 Callaway X Forged (2018 Spotted Pics)

Konklifer

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They'd probably be like a $200 upcharge since they are so damn expensive. What happened to steel iron shafts costing like $8/each? Of all the things in golf getting way too expensive this is the one that I can't wrap my head around. Yeah, you’re probably right, I don’t understand it either. I’ll probably just get the DG S300, but I play my irons at +1/2 inch, so hopefully I can get the sw customized at D-2.

I was looking at the DG shafts on the Golfworks site for reference earlier today, $21 for a standard Dg, was $8 not too long ago.

All the clubmakers are upping their prices and providing premium products, shaft companies figured they could get a piece of the pie too... Shame.

Absolutely, I will say though, Callaway probably offers more upgraded shafts at no charge than most OEM's, along with Mizuno.

Absolutely not correct. Srixon has the largest no upcharge steel shaft catalog by far if you look at it. Includes all of the Modus shafts, all KBS except maybe the $taper, all Project X, all of True Temper including DG 120 and 105. It's not even close.

... Mizuno offers the MP18's at no uncharge for Recoils shafts. $150 retail. Callaway, which certainly does not pay more for shafts than Mizuno, is offering the X Forged at $162.50 and Recoils are a $40 uncharge so $202.50 a club?!?!? MP8 SC's 4-pw with Recoils are $1050 and X Forged 4-pw with recoils are $1417. The X Forged would have to be demonstrably better for my swing to pay that kind of difference.

... And it gets much worse if you want the 5 & 4 utility irons in your mix. Mizuno charges $150 for the Fli Hi's and again no uncharge for Recoils but the Callaway UT sells for $230 and with a $40 Recoil uncharge makes them $540 for two so the set up of pw-6 X Forged and 2 UT's will be $1552 and the pw-6 with 2 Fli Hi's are still $1050.

I just went on Callaway's webiste and it's only $25/ shaft for the recoil 110 yes it's more expensive, but it's only $1312 for 4-PW which is not outrageously higher priced than the Mizuno's.

They'd probably be like a $200 upcharge since they are so damn expensive. What happened to steel iron shafts costing like $8/each? Of all the things in golf getting way too expensive this is the one that I can't wrap my head around. Yeah, you’re probably right, I don’t understand it either. I’ll probably just get the DG S300, but I play my irons at +1/2 inch, so hopefully I can get the sw customized at D-2.

I was looking at the DG shafts on the Golfworks site for reference earlier today, $21 for a standard Dg, was $8 not too long ago.

All the clubmakers are upping their prices and providing premium products, shaft companies figured they could get a piece of the pie too... Shame.

Absolutely, I will say though, Callaway probably offers more upgraded shafts at no charge than most OEM's, along with Mizuno.

Absolutely not correct. Srixon has the largest no upcharge steel shaft catalog by far if you look at it. Includes all of the Modus shafts, all KBS except maybe the $taper, all Project X, all of True Temper including DG 120 and 105. It's not even close.

... Mizuno offers the MP18's at no uncharge for Recoils shafts. $150 retail. Callaway, which certainly does not pay more for shafts than Mizuno, is offering the X Forged at $162.50 and Recoils are a $40 uncharge so $202.50 a club?!?!? MP8 SC's 4-pw with Recoils are $1050 and X Forged 4-pw with recoils are $1417. The X Forged would have to be demonstrably better for my swing to pay that kind of difference.

... And it gets much worse if you want the 5 & 4 utility irons in your mix. Mizuno charges $150 for the Fli Hi's and again no uncharge for Recoils but the Callaway UT sells for $230 and with a $40 Recoil uncharge makes them $540 for two so the set up of pw-6 X Forged and 2 UT's will be $1552 and the pw-6 with 2 Fli Hi's are still $1050.

I just went on Callaway's webiste and it's only $25/ shaft for the recoil 110 yes it's more expensive, but it's only $1312 for 4-PW which is not outrageously higher priced than the Mizuno's.

... Interesting that Callaway would charge $25 a shaft for the upgrade and TGW charges $40 a shaft. Although I would not call $175 uncharge for no reason not outrageously higher. For me the outrage is charging me $25-40 per club when Mizuno does not charge me at all.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

... Interesting that Callaway would charge $25 a shaft for the upgrade and TGW charges $40 a shaft. Although I would not call $175 uncharge for no reason not outrageously higher. For me the outrage is charging me $25-40 per club when Mizuno does not charge me at all.

I agree it is a great thing Mizuno does, but there has to be different sales and marketing techniques, otherwise the golf industry would be too similar and wouldn't be able to have great conversations like this. Some people want to spend the money, others don't both will be great clubs and perform very well.

Just got the call from Roger Dunn...my X-Forged set came in early! Will be picking them up tonight and testing them out Sunday morning. Cant wait.

[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9.0*[/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Callaway Rogue 15*[/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Callaway X Hot Pro 23* [/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Callaway Apex MB 5-PW[/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Bridgestone J15 50*, 54*, 58*[/color][/font]
[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Taylormade Spider Tour Red[/color][/font]

I’m bummed. Sets are coming in early and mine is on a three week backorder.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I'm bummed. Sets are coming in early and mine is on a three week backorder.

I called Cally CS yesterday and asked about the website ordering/status. I told them any stock order was showing "in stock," but anything custom was quoting 3-4 weeks. I asked if the stock ("in stock") sets had already begun shipping out. He said NO, not yet, but with the release date being Friday, 11/3, they were going to begin to ship so that stock orders would be in customer's hands by that date. Judging by this, and the fact that custom orders do not take 3-4 weeks, I'm confident most custom orders will be in hand sooner than quoted. Cally is very good about trying to exceed expectations by under promising then over delivering, especially with earlier receiving dates than expected. Can't wait for my 3 sets either.

My sickness has reached "Epic proportions."

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

The FedEx fairy dropped these at my office this afternoon... Can't wait to hit them in the morning... Ordered them Monday night, and wasn't expecting them for 3-4 weeks!

Driver: Callaway ROGUE w/Tour AD Di-6
3w & 5w: Callaway Epic Sub Zero w/Tour AD Di-7
4h: Callaway Epic
5-PW: Callaway Apex MB '18
Wedges: 50* & 54* Mack Daddy 4, 60* Mizuno T7
Putter: Taylormade Tour Spider
Ball: Taylormade TP5x

What shaft did you choose?

KBS Tour V. I’m considering changing to $-Taper. The CS rep I talked to said that it most likely wouldn’t be that long but they have been absolutely flooded with orders so they won’t be here for a little bit.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

Interesting I heard that the Apex was going to be updated next summer. The rumor was they had it ready but it was not an improvement over current version, so they went back to the drawing board. That is what I was told from my pro after his meeting with the rep. so who knows

Maybe it's a case of clarifying what is considered to be "had it ready". I take that to mean everything is complete and it's just a matter of starting production.

I suspect a couple of factors are at work here. One is that the prototypes may have come back either showing there wasn't a big improvement or where there was, it came with some tradeoff (there are always tradeoffs) that gave them pause.

But I think what likely overrides all of this is that Apex continues to sell well and it's at point in its lifetime that it's more profitable than rolling out a new model. So they have the luxury of being able to keep tweaking things until volumes begin to decline to where it's not meeting their profit targets.

I believe regular Apex will be updated, but rep was definitive about no Apex Pro.

The reps are usually the last to find out what’s being released........they need to focus on what’s now. Not what maybe coming in 6 months or so.....sell x forged and apex mb.....if it sells well then we will tell you about what’s next when it gets close. Just my two cents. Speculation is fun.......

c2722b8ec1bfb939a6680ddbc1fbc802.jpgf106ed455461dcf3872f41ffd115d6c0.jpg

[font=georgia, serif][color=#454545]Bridgestone J15 50*, 54*, 58*[/color][/font]

What's the KBS prototype in your signature? I can't wait to hear how they stack up against your Apex.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

What's the KBS prototype in your signature? I can't wait to hear how they stack up against your Apex.

The Prototypes are $-Taper 125 S+ shafts that I picked up from a friend. I was going to order the same thing in the X Forged but they do not carry the S+ Flex. Only Stiff and X.

I was fit into Tour V at Callaway so I’ll try those first but if they feel too stiff again I’ll switch them out with the Prototypes in my signature.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

c2722b8ec1bfb939a6680ddbc1fbc802.jpgf106ed455461dcf3872f41ffd115d6c0.jpg

I think these are beautiful heads...pair them up with modus 3 125/130 shafts, and with their rumored incredibly soft feel and favorable forgiveness (slightly larger footprint and more meat near the sole then the 2013s), we very well may be looking at the best selling, best overall Player's CB of 2018.

(And my J15s better be prepared to defend their spot in my bag.)

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

If you have the means some comparison pics of X Forged vs Apex Pro would be appreciated.

Apex Pro on left, X Forged 18 on right.

Great pic, mind you eye dominance will make one look bigger naturally, I don't think the X Forged is really alot bigger than Apex Pro!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Out of curiosity, I wanted to test the dominant eye theory (which I also believe in). Below is the original pic posted on left (and labeled), and then a flipped version with the X-forged being on the left and the Apex Pro on the right, just to see if the perception of head size changed at all with a dominant eye. You be the judge. (Note: everything is exactly proportionate to the original post).

X Forged still looks bigger to my eye. I got flamed for stating that earlier in this thread but I stand by the assertion that the X Forged is slightly bigger overall than the Apex Pro. Not a bad thing, just an observation.

Head size looks very similar to me but the X-forged looks to have a longer blade length.....and that's what excites me. I felt the Apex Pro's blade length was on the shorter side.

X Forged still looks bigger to my eye. I got flamed for stating that earlier in this thread but I stand by the assertion that the X Forged is slightly bigger overall than the Apex Pro. Not a bad thing, just an observation.

head size looks the same. X forged has longer neck which makes it look larger to me

Perhaps. All I know is I played Apex Pro for two straight years and when I look down at the X Forged at address it looks slightly bigger to my eye. Again, it looks great, just slightly bigger to me. Regardless, I'll be playing my first round with them tomorrow morning and will report back on the performance.

Head size looks very similar to me but the X-forged looks to have a longer blade length.....and that's what excites me. I felt the Apex Pro's blade length was on the shorter side.

THIS ^^^^^

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Out of curiosity, I wanted to test the dominant eye theory (which I also believe in). Below is the original pic posted on left (and labeled), and then a flipped version with the X-forged being on the left and the Apex Pro on the right, just to see if the perception of head size changed at all with a dominant eye. You be the judge. (Note: everything is exactly proportionate to the original post).

Wow. Magic!

Got my first round in this morning with x forged/apex Mb combo and loving them. My set up fits me perfectly and the feel at impact is better than I could have hoped for.

How did you split them? What shafts?

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22