PXG sues Taylor Made

mizuno player

Funny how many people supported Titleist going after Costco for patent infringements with the KSig but condemn PXG for doing the same with TM.

The difference is one is a company who has american employees , who pride themselves on quality and has shown some compassion and loyalty in the past to its down on their luck staffers ( google moe Norman-titleist ). They have shown that they are a positive influence on the game and the world.

Then you have parsons. The flesh peddling elephant killer. The guy who uses his military service as a marketing campaign. The guy who whores out our service men and women for his own profit. While hiding his true sceme behind a few well placed donations ( read - tax write offs ) The guy who buys a club and sends its members a gtfo letter.

That's the difference for me.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW it's not just Worldwide Golf that Parsons is suing, he's also sued PGA Superstore, Golf Galaxy and Dicks as well. So basically this is a giant middle finger at all big box retail and by extension to the golf buying public who shops there. So when we have no more big box stores to try things out before we buy, we'll know who to thank for it. Parsons and PXG suck for golf.

https://www.golfdige...suing-retailers

It's a smart legal move imo, Parsons knew the chances of him receiving a TRO were minimal so by including the big retailers in the suit he's able to put pressure on them to take those clubs off their shelves. Smaller stores that carry his equipment have likely voluntarily stopped selling the P790's.

If he could not get a TRO vs. Taylormade... I am not sure how he is going to get a TRO vs the retailers. But maybe someone with patent litigation experience can explain if they feel differently.

He knows he can't get the TRO against retailers. Bob is just trying to scare them into not demoing or selling the P790s. If Bob wins the suit, these retailers will be liable for any P790 sales in addition to TaylorMade.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Anyone else have the urge to buy a 790 set ? And stamp FU bob on them ? ( did I say that out loud ).

Suing the retailers. Now that's the last straw isn't it ? Has to be the death gurgles we are hearin now from pxg as it slips away

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

BTW it's not just Worldwide Golf that Parsons is suing, he's also sued PGA Superstore, Golf Galaxy and Dicks as well. So basically this is a giant middle finger at all big box retail and by extension to the golf buying public who shops there. So when we have no more big box stores to try things out before we buy, we'll know who to thank for it. Parsons and PXG suck for golf.

It's a smart legal move imo, Parsons knew the chances of him receiving a TRO were minimal so by including the big retailers in the suit he's able to put pressure on them to take those clubs off their shelves. Smaller stores that carry his equipment have likely voluntarily stopped selling the P790's.

We'll see about that. By going after the big box stores (and who knows if us consumers are next) Bob is not only looking to attack TM but also any manufacturer that uses them as its primary sales outlet. I would expect that TM will have allies in Callaway, Titleist, Mizuno et al. I would expect if there is any real threat to the health of these stores, there could be an alliance of all manufacturers joining with TM to battle PXG in this suit since this could affect all of their sales channels. Parsons may have unknowingly awoken the giant of the entire industry to align against him in this fight.

If he could not get a TRO vs. Taylormade... I am not sure how he is going to get a TRO vs the retailers. But maybe someone with patent litigation experience can explain if they feel differently.

He's not trying to get a TRO against the retailers, he likely just wants them to remove the 790's from their shelves and website to avoid litigation.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Is this in relation to the new TM irons with the foam stuff in the cavity?

You mean these?

1991-ICW-11.jpg

Like to see the patent on that AND how it is even close to what PXG has done.

Yeah, you're right. It's probably the weight screws that PXG is pissed about.

11915584-taylormade-r7-cgb-max-irons.jpg

The badge in the center looks like what Ping uses. Maybe they should sue too.

Ping G 10*- 44.5" Adjusted to 11*
Ping i3OS 4 thru UW
Cobra SS 5 wood

Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
Titleist Vokey 56* -SW
Ping Redwood- 34"
Callaway Supersoft

We'll see about that. By going after the big box stores (and who knows if us consumers are next) Bob is not only looking to attack TM but also any manufacturer that uses them as its primary sales outlet. I would expect that TM will have allies in Callaway, Titleist, Mizuno et al. I would expect if there is any real threat to the health of these stores, There could be an alliance of all manufacturers joining with TM to battle PXG in this suit since this could affect all of their sales channels. Parsons may have unknowingly awoken the giant of the entire industry to align against him in this fight.

If KSig's were sold in other stores, Titleist would have done the same thing in their litigation. In the absence of a TRO, the only way to prevent loss of sales is to "legally motivate" the resellers to pull the clubs off their shelves and website until the litigation is settled. Callaway and others would be more than happy to see TM go down in flames, it means a bigger piece of the pie for them.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

"According to Allan Sternstein, professor of intellectual property and director of the IP and Entrepreneurship Clinic at the University of Arizona, “Those that infringe a patent are anyone who makes (manufacturers), uses (consumers), sells or offers to sell (retail outlets, golf shops, etc.) a product that falls within the scope of one or more claims of the patent. Accordingly, suing a retailer for patent infringement is totally appropriate under the law.”

Crap... sorry I brought it up! Check your mailboxes boys and girls.

Some of you are making this too personal, Parsons invested a ton of money into PXG. He did things the right way, filed and received patents on specific aspects of his club design that he believes are unique to him. I'm not a patent attorney so I have no idea if the patents issued should have been or not, but that's not Parson's fault either.

Taylor Made has reverse engineered PXG clubs, made claims they are similar and is alleged to have violated Parsons patents without a licensing agreement. Parsons has the right to legally enforce and defend those patents however he sees fit.

TM stole the Adams speed slot, claimed it as their own design and made multiple models incorporating into their design making a significant amount of money on the stolen technology. Adams also was unable to get a TRO until the case was settled but by that time the damage to Adams was so significant they had little choice but to sell the business and the patents to TM.

Whether you like Parsons or not, you have to defend the right of a business to defend their IP against larger corporations and to minimize the damage to their business while the case is in the courts.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Incorrect. I'm fitting & selling the things like hot cookies.

If Parsons couldn't get a TRO through to stop TM from launching the P790, how in god's name does he think he's going to stop the retailers from selling the product? At least until the November hearing the product has not been proved to have infringed on any patents whatsoever.

I will sell as many of the sticks as possible, and if the courts decide that Parson's case does have it's merits then I'll settle with TM.

If Parsons couldn't get a TRO through to stop TM from launching the P790, how in god's name does he think he's going to stop the retailers from selling the product? At least until the November hearing the product has not been proved to have infringed on any patents whatsoever.

I will sell as many of the sticks as possible, and if the courts decide that Parson's case does have it's merits then I'll settle with TM.

As a business owner that is a risk you decided to take on and you shouldn't be surprised if you receive a cease and desist letter or get added to the list of defendants in the case. Your post didn't clarify if you are a PXG reseller, which is who I was referring into in terms of smaller stores.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Funny how many people supported Titleist going after Costco for patent infringements with the KSig but condemn PXG for doing the same with TM.

The difference is one is a company who has american employees , who pride themselves on quality and has shown some compassion and loyalty in the past to its down on their luck staffers ( google moe Norman-titleist ). They have shown that they are a positive influence on the game and the world.

Then you have parsons. The flesh peddling elephant killer. The guy who uses his military service as a marketing campaign. The guy who whores out our service men and women for his own profit. While hiding his true sceme behind a few well placed donations ( read - tax write offs ) The guy who buys a club and sends its members a gtfo letter.

PXG is American-owned, while Titleist isn't. Aren't Titleist and PXG clubs made overseas? Bob does support military families financially and for that I applaud him, but he has also decided to not give military discounts on his clubs to service people. He also said that you need to make six figures plus to be able to afford his clubs. I guess he has intentionally priced out everyone in the military except generals from using his clubs.

I don't fault Bob from suing TaylorMade and golf shops. Bob has invested a lot of money into PXG and he has every right to protect his investment. I just wish he didn't wrap PXG with the flag if he's pricing most military members out of his clubs.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Is no one here a proponent of protecting intellectual property and the investment and risk capital required for technological innovation?

what if TM did in fact have multiple infringements ?

I have no idea if PXG will win, but just because Bob is a semi-loathsome person doesn't mean he doesn't have the right to protect his investment

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Some of you are making this too personal, Parsons invested a ton of money into PXG. He did things the right way, filed and received patents on specific aspects of his club design that he believes are unique to him. I'm not a patent attorney so I have no idea if the patents issued should have been or not, but that's not Parson's fault either.

Taylor Made has reverse engineered PXG clubs, made claims they are similar and is alleged to have violated Parsons patents without a licensing agreement. Parsons has the right to legally enforce and defend those patents however he sees fit.

TM stole the Adams speed slot, claimed it as their own design and made multiple models incorporating into their design making a significant amount of money on the stolen technology. Adams also was unable to get a TRO until the case was settled but by that time the damage to Adams was so significant they had little choice but to sell the business and the patents to TM.

Whether you like Parsons or not, you have to defend the right of a business to defend their IP against larger corporations and to minimize the damage to their business while the case is in the courts.

finally something intelligent is said

As a business owner that is a risk you decided to take on and you shouldn't be surprised if you receive a cease and desist letter or get added to the list of defendants in the case. Your post didn't clarify if you are a PXG reseller, which is who I was referring into in terms of smaller stores.

Thanks for your input. I run a large fitting center which does about 85% of it's volume with TM, and doesn't fit or stock PXG equipment.

He's not trying to get a TRO against the retailers, he likely just wants them to remove the 790's from their shelves and website to avoid litigation.

Ain't gonna happen in light of their not getting a TRO against Taylormade... if TM has a right to continue to sell them at this point, nobody is going to be afraid to shelve them despite the huffing and puffing the big bad wolf is doing.

Thanks for your input. I run a large fitting center which does about 85% of it's volume with TM, and doesn't fit or stock PXG equipment.

Thanks for clarifying, given your business I'm not surprised by the stance you've taken. Small businesses still need to feed their employees while the big boys battle it out in court. I hope all goes well for you and your store.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Ain't gonna happen in light of their not getting a TRO against Taylormade... if TM has a right to continue to sell them at this point, nobody is going to be afraid to shelve them despite the huffing and puffing the big bad wolf is doing.

Retail stores operate on relatively small overall profit margin so the risk of big litigation is a threat compared to the potential profit loss of pulling one model of irons off the shelves. TM may offer to pay the legal fees of these stores for this litigation if they continue to sell the P790's. Time will tell.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Regardless of the potential merit to the patent suit with Taylor made I think suing retailers does a disservice to the game in an era where many golf shops are already dubious business propositions a 6 figure legal bill doesn't make it more inviting. If pxg is proven correct twylormade will be required to make them whole. The average consumer is the only one suffering when retailers are placed in between a manufacturer squabble that leaves them no choice but to pick a side.

Never paid much attention to parsons but I sought out some interviews with him after this thing dropped and he seems pretty arrogant and self important. Im not prepared to spend pxg money on clubs but if I was I'd spend it elsewhere.

Is no one here a proponent of protecting intellectual property and the investment and risk capital required for technological innovation?

Nice try. But is more complex than that. Parsons has made his bed. Or rather shat in his bed. Now he has to lie in it.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

PXG is American-owned, while Titleist isn't. Aren't Titleist and PXG clubs made overseas? Bob does support military families financially and for that I applaud him, but he has also decided to not give military discounts on his clubs to service people. He also said that you need to make six figures plus to be able to afford his clubs. I guess he has intentionally priced out everyone in the military except generals from using his clubs.

I don't fault Bob from suing TaylorMade and golf shops. Bob has invested a lot of money into PXG and he has every right to protect his investment. I just wish he didn't wrap PXG with the flag if he's pricing most military members out of his clubs.

Your saying the same thing I did except in a nice way. And that.ls cool. Titleist was an american company for years until recently. So it's not same in my eyes as saying one is american and one isn't. Titleist has american ball plants. As far as I know no pxg product is made in the us.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Pxg is a petty arrogant s--t company. I play PXG clubs but That dude is a loser. Get a life.

I'll vouch for this dude as having impeccable taste. High end is his middle name.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

what if = hypothetical

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Thanks for clarifying, given your business I'm not surprised by the stance you've taken. Small businesses still need to feed their employees while the big boys battle it out in court. I hope all goes well for you and your store.

Actually, because of the situation I haven't sold 1 set of P790's to date and just wanted to provoke an opinion out of somebody who knows more about what could happen to a retailer (as you wrote cease & desist/added to list of defendents) than I. The initial targeted sales of the P790 here can be adjusted to wait it out until a ruling clears (or condemns) TM of wrongdoing and my business is healthy enough to skip selling the P790 at all if need be.

Even though I have a strong bond to TM through personal contacts on the managment level, history has taught us all and should not be ignored lest it repeat itself. Of course Bob Parsons has every right to defend his IP and I wish him well in his endeavour.

We'll see about that. By going after the big box stores (and who knows if us consumers are next) Bob is not only looking to attack TM but also any manufacturer that uses them as its primary sales outlet. I would expect that TM will have allies in Callaway, Titleist, Mizuno et al. I would expect if there is any real threat to the health of these stores, There could be an alliance of all manufacturers joining with TM to battle PXG in this suit since this could affect all of their sales channels. Parsons may have unknowingly awoken the giant of the entire industry to align against him in this fight.

If KSig's were sold in other stores, Titleist would have done the same thing in their litigation. In the absence of a TRO, the only way to prevent loss of sales is to "legally motivate" the resellers to pull the clubs off their shelves and website until the litigation is settled. Callaway and others would be more than happy to see TM go down in flames, it means a bigger piece of the pie for them.

I realize that TM and Cally have no love loss for each other and in better circumstances that Cally would love TM to go away. However threatening the big box stores does also threaten Cally and the others as well since this is their primary sales avenue as well and GG/PGA Superstore going under would impact their sales as well as TM's. I'm making a conjecture about the strategic alliance but I do believe that all the major manufacturers who use the big box stores to sell equipment/accessories have a strong interest to make sure their sales channel isn't being threatened. I would even add the likes of Under Armour, Oakley, Nike, Cobra/Puma to this list of equipment/apparel companies who would be seriously cheesed if one or more of these stores were to go under. That's why I would think they would overlook competitive difference in this singular instance to fight against a common threat to their primary sales channel.

I believe that the big boxes won't really suffer from NOT selling the P790's as we're talking about 1 model which isn't even a high volume model.

The strategy is just to prevent the P790 accelerating in sales volume against the PXG models, and that is through making the sales channels insecure as to thier legal footing.