2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

PXG sues Taylor Made

mizuno player

BTW it's not just Worldwide Golf that Parsons is suing, he's also sued PGA Superstore, Golf Galaxy and Dicks as well. So basically this is a giant middle finger at all big box retail and by extension to the golf buying public who shops there. So when we have no more big box stores to try things out before we buy, we'll know who to thank for it. Parsons and PXG suck for golf.

https://www.golfdige...suing-retailers

It's a smart legal move imo, Parsons knew the chances of him receiving a TRO were minimal so by including the big retailers in the suit he's able to put pressure on them to take those clubs off their shelves. Smaller stores that carry his equipment have likely voluntarily stopped selling the P790's.

We'll see about that. By going after the big box stores (and who knows if us consumers are next) Bob is not only looking to attack TM but also any manufacturer that uses them as its primary sales outlet. I would expect that TM will have allies in Callaway, Titleist, Mizuno et al. I would expect if there is any real threat to the health of these stores, There could be an alliance of all manufacturers joining with TM to battle PXG in this suit since this could affect all of their sales channels. Parsons may have unknowingly awoken the giant of the entire industry to align against him in this fight.

If KSig's were sold in other stores, Titleist would have done the same thing in their litigation. In the absence of a TRO, the only way to prevent loss of sales is to "legally motivate" the resellers to pull the clubs off their shelves and website until the litigation is settled. Callaway and others would be more than happy to see TM go down in flames, it means a bigger piece of the pie for them.

I realize that TM and Cally have no love loss for each other and in better circumstances that Cally would love TM to go away. However threatening the big box stores does also threaten Cally and the others as well since this is their primary sales avenue as well and GG/PGA Superstore going under would impact their sales as well as TM's. I'm making a conjecture about the strategic alliance but I do believe that all the major manufacturers who use the big box stores to sell equipment/accessories have a strong interest to make sure their sales channel isn't being threatened. I would even add the likes of Under Armour, Oakley, Nike, Cobra/Puma to this list of equipment/apparel companies who would be seriously cheesed if one or more of these stores were to go under. That's why I would think they would overlook competitive difference in this singular instance to fight against a common threat to their primary sales channel.

I fully understand your point but the only threat Parsons poses to any retail store, big box or not, is if they refuse to stop selling the P790's until the case is ruled on or settled. Parsons apparent goal of going after the retailers is to prevent TM from making money on the P790's because he deems they violate his patents. If he gets the retail stores to stop selling the P790's then he has no cause for litigation and would likely drop the lawsuit.

EDIT: Parsons must feel pretty confident about these patent violations or it's a really expensive game of chicken. If the court rules TM did not violate the PXG patents then TM's countersuit (there always is one) would likely be awarded given the loss of revenue due to Parsons litigation with retailers to prevent the sale of the clubs in question.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you are making this too personal, Parsons invested a ton of money into PXG. He did things the right way, filed and received patents on specific aspects of his club design that he believes are unique to him. I'm not a patent attorney so I have no idea if the patents issued should have been or not, but that's not Parson's fault either.

Whether you like Parsons or not, you have to defend the right of a business to defend their IP against larger corporations and to minimize the damage to their business while the case is in the courts.

... Didn't Parson's make his company personal when he decided his ego was more important than his equipment? I have zero respect for anyone that chooses to ignore professionals an do their own promotion. He makes it personal in his "tough guy everyman" delivery attempting to appeal to a specific segment. Everything about his company is personal and this is clearly why he faces such strong opinions both for and against. If I sounded like Parsons and owned a company I would do a ton of focus groups and find a VO talent that represented my brand an would never connect my voice to advertising. You think if a likable voice was doing PXG's commercials with a less arrogant message, they would be getting the kind of hate?

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

BTW it's not just Worldwide Golf that Parsons is suing, he's also sued PGA Superstore, Golf Galaxy and Dicks as well. So basically this is a giant middle finger at all big box retail and by extension to the golf buying public who shops there. So when we have no more big box stores to try things out before we buy, we'll know who to thank for it. Parsons and PXG suck for golf.

https://www.golfdige...suing-retailers

It's a smart legal move imo, Parsons knew the chances of him receiving a TRO were minimal so by including the big retailers in the suit he's able to put pressure on them to take those clubs off their shelves. Smaller stores that carry his equipment have likely voluntarily stopped selling the P790's.

If he could not get a TRO vs. Taylormade... I am not sure how he is going to get a TRO vs the retailers. But maybe someone with patent litigation experience can explain if they feel differently.

He's not trying to get a TRO against the retailers, he likely just wants them to remove the 790's from their shelves and website to avoid litigation.

By going after the retailers, Parsons is acting like the Billionaire Bully that he is. It may or may not be smart as a legal strategy but on a public relations side, he has now cemented my stance that I will never consider purchasing a PXG club and will do my best to talk others out of the same.

Dick's and PGA TourSuperstore can't sell PXG clubs and now Parsons wants to impose his rules upon a 3rd party retailer with whom he does no business but expects to limit their ability to sell his competitors' clubs when those retailers have no obligation to enforce his patents. PXG can expect a wave of counterclaims from those retailers and rightfully so.

I fully understand your point but the only threat Parsons poses to any retail store, big box or not, is if they refuse to stop selling the P790's until the case is ruled on or settled. Parsons apparent goal of going after the retailers is to prevent TM from making money on the P790's because he deems they violate his patents. If he gets the retail stores to stop selling the P790's then he has no cause for litigation and would likely drop the lawsuit.

EDIT: Parsons must feel pretty confident about these patent violations or it's a really expensive game of chicken. If the court rules TM did not violate the PXG patents then TM's countersuit (there always is one) would likely be awarded given the loss of revenue due to Parsons litigation with retailers to prevent the sale of the clubs in question.

PXG isn't really going after the big box retailers. This is PXG asserting more leverage over TaylorMade as the retailers will just tell TM this is your problem to fix. Maybe some retailers get scared and a few less sets of 790s are sold, but this is all about making a headache for TM.

In patent law there is a doctrine called the customer suit exception which generally means that patent infringement claims against a manufacturer (here, TM) take precedence over lawsuits against the manufacturers customers (the retailers). This makes sense because the retailers are just selling products that PXG has already accused of infringement in its first suit. What this means is that the lkely outcome is that all of the retail suits gets stayed with nothing happening until the main lawsuit gets resolved. This is a fairly standard way to make sure you have someone's full attention: you sue their customers.

Ping G425 - Oban Revenge 5
2h & 4h Ping G410 - Ping Tour 90
5-9 Srixon Z585 - Steelfiber FC90cw
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46* & 50* 

TM Bigfoot Raw 56* 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten
Vice Pro

Is no one here a proponent of protecting intellectual property and the investment and risk capital required for technological innovation?

what if TM did in fact have multiple infringements ?

Nice try. But is more complex than that. Parsons has made his bed. Or rather shat in his bed. Now he has to lie in it.

it isn't more complex

the only problem here is the intense melodrama and envy that riddle almost every comment

painful to read

Is no one here a proponent of protecting intellectual property and the investment and risk capital required for technological innovation?

Nice try. But is more complex than that. Parsons has made his bed. Or rather shat in his bed. Now he has to lie in it.

it isn't more complex

the only problem here is the intense melodrama and envy that riddle almost every comment

painful to read

Hey man if I paid 5 grand for clubs I coulda got at a fraction of the price I'd be pissed too... but don't take it out on us!

what if = hypothetical

Lol's. ,using foam in hollow clubs has been used from many OEM's. Including taylormade, long before Bob's company.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I just want to see more Bob Parson, I mean PXG, commercials. They are like Jack Hamm informercials that make me NEVER want to buy a product from him. I hope TM cleans his clock.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I just want to see more Bob Parson, I mean PXG, commercials. They are like Jack Hamm informercials that make me NEVER want to buy a product from him. I hope TM cleans his clock.

You can totally tell that Bob makes the TV commercial decisions himself because they are soooooo bad.

KA BOOOOMMMM!!

Oh Bob, pretty much all the reviews say your driver is pretty bad. With unlimited money and time, you came up with a nice feeling, $700 driver that is 10-15 yards behind everything else. Genius! The good news is that he won't have to be suing anyone over it because no one is going to copy that high-spinning, distance-killing machine.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

You can totally tell that Bob makes the TV commercial decisions himself because they are soooooo bad.

KA BOOOOMMMM!!

Oh Bob, pretty much all the reviews say your driver is pretty bad. With unlimited money and time, you came up with a nice feeling, $700 driver that is 10-15 yards behind everything else. Genius! The good news is that he won't have to be suing anyone over it because no one is going to copy that high-spinning, distance-killing machine.

That is extremely obvious. You know his employees just cringe when he makes these commercials but will tell him they are fantastic haha. He is his own worst enemy.

Edel PROTO

Prediction: PXG won't be around 24 months from now. Parsons picked a fight and now has expanded that fight, that places him at odds with the rest of the industry. He won't win the Public Relations battle from this fight and that won't help PXG's already poor economic performance. Like their clubs or not, they have never made a profit from the business to date and that cannot continue forever. Now, they are alienating even more people. This likely won't end well for PXG as an ongoing entity.

it isn't more complex

painful to read

Do tell. Envy? Melodrama ? Really ? Have I stated less than fact ? hilarious.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

PXG isn't really going after the big box retailers. This is PXG asserting more leverage over TaylorMade as the retailers will just tell TM this is your problem to fix. Maybe some retailers get scared and a few less sets of 790s are sold, but this is all about making a headache for TM.

In patent law there is a doctrine called the customer suit exception which generally means that patent infringement claims against a manufacturer (here, TM) take precedence over lawsuits against the manufacturers customers (the retailers). This makes sense because the retailers are just selling products that PXG has already accused of infringement in its first suit. What this means is that the lkely outcome is that all of the retail suits gets stayed with nothing happening until the main lawsuit gets resolved. This is a fairly standard way to make sure you have someone's full attention: you sue their customers.

You stated it better than I did but that was the intent of my post.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Prediction: PXG won't be around 24 months from now. Parsons picked a fight and now has expanded that fight, that places him at odds with the rest of the industry. He won't win the Public Relations battle from this fight and that won't help PXG's already poor economic performance. Like their clubs or not, they have never made a profit from the business to date and that cannot continue forever. Now, they are alienating even more people. This likely won't end well for PXG as an ongoing entity.

Parson's has deep pockets so he can keep it moving for a while but if he starts losing tour players he's in trouble. PXG staffers need to get it in gear if the brand will survive.

Edel PROTO

Some of you are making this too personal, Parsons invested a ton of money into PXG. He did things the right way, filed and received patents on specific aspects of his club design that he believes are unique to him. I'm not a patent attorney so I have no idea if the patents issued should have been or not, but that's not Parson's fault either.

Whether you like Parsons or not, you have to defend the right of a business to defend their IP against larger corporations and to minimize the damage to their business while the case is in the courts.

... Didn't Parson's make his company personal when he decided his ego was more important than his equipment? I have zero respect for anyone that chooses to ignore professionals an do their own promotion. He makes it personal in his "tough guy everyman" delivery attempting to appeal to a specific segment. Everything about his company is personal and this is clearly why he faces such strong opinions both for and against. If I sounded like Parsons and owned a company I would do a ton of focus groups and find a VO talent that represented my brand an would never connect my voice to advertising. You think if a likable voice was doing PXG's commercials with a less arrogant message, they would be getting the kind of hate?

I think Parsons and PXG gets hate because their prices are outside the reach of what many people are willing to or can afford to spend on golf clubs.

Exclusivity comes at a price and most people that don't want to or can't afford to be part of the group often have strong emotions against exclusive companies and products. I'm sure Parsons considered that when he built his business plan and set his pricing.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Parson's has deep pockets so he can keep it moving for a while but if he starts losing tour players he's in trouble. PXG staffers need to get it in gear if the brand will survive.

How many tour players does Miura have? PXG is competing at a different level than the mainstream club manufacturers. Pro's will play PXG clubs (just like any other club) as long as the endorsement money they are paid justifies it.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I think Parsons and PXG gets hate because their prices are outside the reach of what many people are willing to or can afford to spend on golf clubs.

Exclusivity comes at a price and most people that don't want to or can't afford to be part of the group often have strong emotions against exclusive companies and products. I'm sure Parsons considered that when he built his business plan and set his pricing.

For some sure. But there are a lot of non fans here and one person ( Brent) playing them who's stated that pxg the company and its owner are idiots . Most of these guys ive been around for a while on here and most have owned or do own more expensive sets of irons than pxg. Pxg is an expensive set. But they are enough used sets on the $1500 range out there that if price were the main concern guys who dislike the company would have deminished not grown. $1500 won't buy nice Miura nor would it buy don white scratch or mike Taylor sets. And plenty of us who don't like parsons own or owned multiple sets of those as an example. It isn't price trust me. Not for most.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

How many tour players does Miura have? PXG is competing at a different level than the mainstream club manufacturers. Pro's will play PXG clubs (just like any other club) as long as the endorsement money they are paid justifies it.

Miurasan has made 100s of tour players sets. And Kj choi is only one that comes to mind bearing the company logo. Miura builds for players who pay them. Not pay players to play as pxg does. Not a comparison you want to make.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

They were close to making a profit last year even with their huge Tour presence and their growth was really strong. Way too early to write them off. The no go on the TRO might actually help PXG. Win the TRO and lose the trial and PXG would be liable for what is probably a year's worth of their sales on the bond.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

That argument keeps getting made and it's garbage. I belong to a club where each and every member could go out tomorrow and buy a full bag of PXG clubs to use for every day of the week without batting an eye. I've seen, best as I can recall, only one set of PXG irons in the wild, and it was playing with a buddy at a $50 rack rate public course at that. Why?

• Well, first of all, once you get to a certain level you're not going to impress other people by gold plating your toilet, and you're clever enough to know that, unless of course you have some sort of terrible insecurities for which you're trying to compensate.*
  • Secondly, our pro shop carries four brands none of which is PXG. Reps for each of those brands shows up every spring so we can try the latest and greatest in person, and have been doing so for many years more than PXG has been in business.
  • Third, the nearest place that is a PXG fitter is ~150 miles away, in the absolute hell hole that is suburban Washington DC. If you told me that tomorrow I could either drive to DC or buy you a set of PXG clubs, I'd buy you a set of PXG clubs tomorrow. Again, four manufactures come to us every spring--PXG, we have to go to them, and screw that, if you'll pardon the pun.
  • Fourth, some people don't like his politics and don't want to give Parsons money because of that.
  • Fifth, some people find his commercials annoying and don't want to give him money because of that.
  • Sixth, some people have to deal with Godaddy's user interface daily in a professional setting and they don't want to give him money because of that.
  • Seventh, some people have a weird personal grudge against Danica Patrick and don't want to give him money because of that.
  • Eighth, some people don't watch golf on the tube, don't read the golf magazines, have never heard of PXG in the first place, and probably would think they're Kmart brand knock offs if they ever saw a set.
  • Ninth, some people, like me for instance, get a much bigger hard on from spending $75 on a rare set of blades from 1967 than they would from buying a set of PXG clubs from 2017.
  • Tenth, some people have tried them and just don't like them, just like they don't like Ping irons, because from address it's one and the same.

In short, there are lots of reasons not to buy PXG clubs, and poverty is way down on that list.

The idea that this thread is full of poor people bashing PXG out of envy or jealously is just pure garbage. PXG's business plan has nothing to do with making the best clubs in the world. PXG's business plan is built on there being a certain number of people out there who want to impress other people with how much they spent--that there are a certain number of people who will manage to swing $2k for a set of irons so they can look down on people who only spent $1k--but don't have the money or sack or commitment to gaudiness for gaudiness's sake to go out and drop $50k on this garbage instead:

MW-BD456_smgolf_20130531105113_MG.jpg

* Apologies to PepperTurbo for stepping on his turf.

That argument keeps getting made and it's garbage. I belong to a club where each and every member could go out tomorrow and buy a full bag of PXG clubs to use for every day of the week without batting an eye. I've seen, best as I can recall, only one set of PXG irons in the wild, and it was playing with a buddy at a $50 rack rate public course at that. Why?

• Well, first of all, once you get to a certain level you're not going to impress other people by gold plating your toilet, and you're clever enough to know that, unless of course you have some sort of terrible insecurities for which you're trying to compensate.*
  • Secondly, our pro shop carries four brands none of which is PXG. Reps for each of those brands shows up every spring so we can try the latest and greatest in person, and have been doing so for many years more than PXG has been in business.
  • Third, the nearest place that is a PXG fitter is ~150 miles away, in the absolute hell hole that is suburban Washington DC. If you told me that tomorrow I could either drive to DC or buy you a set of PXG clubs, I'd buy you a set of PXG clubs tomorrow. Again, four manufactures come to us every spring--PXG, we have to go to them, and screw that, if you'll pardon the pun.
  • Fourth, some people don't like his politics and don't want to give Parsons money because of that.
  • Fifth, some people find his commercials annoying and don't want to give him money because of that.
  • Sixth, some people have to deal with Godaddy's user interface daily in a professional setting and they don't want to give him money because of that.
  • Seventh, some people have a weird personal grudge against Danica Patrick and don't want to give him money because of that.
  • Eighth, some people don't watch golf on the tube, don't read the golf magazines, have never heard of PXG in the first place, and probably would think they're Kmart brand knock offs if they ever saw a set.
  • Ninth, some people, like me for instance, get a much bigger hard on from spending $75 on a rare set of blades from 1967 than they would from buying a set of PXG clubs from 2017.
  • Tenth, some people have tried them and just don't like them, just like they don't like Ping irons, because from address it's one and the same.

In short, there are lots of reasons not to buy PXG clubs, and poverty is way down on that list.

The idea that this thread is full of poor people bashing PXG out of envy or jealously is just pure garbage. PXG's business plan has nothing to do with making the best clubs in the world. PXG's business plan is built on there being a certain number of people out there who want to impress other people with how much they spent--that there are a certain number of people who will manage to swing $2k for a set of irons so they can look down on people who only spent $1k--but don't have the money or sack or commitment to gaudiness for gaudiness's sake to go out and drop $50k on this garbage instead:

MW-BD456_smgolf_20130531105113_MG.jpg

* Apologies to PepperTurbo for stepping on his turf.

+1 I totally agree that there are tons of reasons why someone might not like BP or anyone else with or without money, so money is way, way down the list.

As for the prestige of owning this or that, well crap, if you can't be pretentious about it, what good is it to have a bit of change to throw around? Lol!

It's funny that some PXG users think that it's envy that makes us not like the company. I tried one at a driving range, and it felt just like the Ping I25 that it was modeled after. You know what they say about a fool and his money...

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

This

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

My place carries both pxg and TM...I will continue to sell p790 if that's what my consumer wants...my job is to be neutral and not take sides, am I fortunate that pxg has brought me business of course but over the years TM has done a pretty good job of that as well...

Careful, ol' Bobby might sue you next.

it isn't more complex

painful to read

Do tell. Envy? Melodrama ? Really ? Have I stated less than fact ? hilarious.

you haven't stated anything - that is the fact

what is hilarious is all the altruistic bs being espoused on this thread

i doubt there is anyone here who has a clue as to the merits

it's just used as an excuse to bash

cnn-like to be honest

i don't own pxg's

but i have hit them and they are impressive clubs

I think watching TM's new private equity owner squirm here will be more interesting that waiting for Bob to flinch

I have spoken with an acquaintance who has quite a bit of experience in patent law and some experience in the golf industry. He feels there is a widely held opinion that PXG will not win a patent fight. The vast majority of patents do not hold up in litigation and the PXG patents are very likely prior art.

I would assume PXG knows this.

I question whether or not this is a marketing play for PXG. The PXG brand is not nearly as well known as we on Golfwrx probably think it is. This lawsuit gets PXG a lot of attention and perhaps positions them as an innovative leader.

I think the lawsuit is also great marketing for Taylormade as well.

I have spoken with an acquaintance who has quite a bit of experience in patent law and some experience in the golf industry. He feels there is a widely held opinion that PXG will not win a patent fight. The vast majority of patents do not hold up in litigation and the PXG patents are very likely prior art.

I would assume PXG knows this.

I question whether or not this is a marketing play for PXG. The PXG brand is not nearly as well known as we on Golfwrx probably think it is. This lawsuit gets PXG a lot of attention and perhaps positions them as an innovative leader.

I think the lawsuit is also great marketing for Taylormade as well.

This is great insight - appreciated

i would agree on both counts

still think this is more than the new owner of TM had in mind and it will be interesting to see how they handle it