2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

PXG sues Taylor Made

mizuno player

Good for PXG. I get it people are jealous of PXG but Taylormade needs to get their tail kicked for what they did to the golf industry.

To me this is a clear rip off job and a quick attempt to turn around their lousy company (lost $100M last year alone).

PXG has every right to defend its patents and you can share all the old tech you like- if PXG has the patent then it doesn't matter what you have done in the past.

Good for PXG- Hell Taylormade has been suing every startup golf company in the world just to bury companies in litigation and bankrupt them. Cheer for Taylormade...I think not.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per the GolfWRX release spiel about the 790" In the two years TaylorMade spent developing the P-790 irons, it tested several filler materials, one of which was thermoplastic elastomer (TPE), the material PXG uses to fill the inside of its 0311 irons. “The problem with the TPE is that it completely kills your COR,” Bystedt says."

When I first read this, I thought "they really aren't hiding the fact that they are imitating the same process that PXG is using". The are inserting the goo the same way, building the head the same way. Now they are using the same TPE, and are tweaking on that.

You can't just flat out imitate a product. Clearly, the 0311 influenced the design of the 790. The engineer in the WRX article indirectly stated that himself. You can't seriously look at the 0311, how it's made, the materials and the process, and not believe Taylormade decided to make their own version of this. As soon as the P790 was released, everybody compared it to the 0311. Go read or watch ANY review and find one that doesn't mention PXG. Believe what you want about Mr. Parsons, but most anyone would sue over this, much like how PING should have sued PXG over the shaping of the PXG irons, particularly the 0311T a.k.a. the forged S55 with goo.

As has already been mentioned several pages back, Taylormade has a long history of making irons with foam "goo" inside so who's copying who?

And just as every ball maker cuts open the competitors balls to see what they are up to, it's obvious that Taylormade cut open a PXG club or two. Does that mean they copied them? NO. If anything it seems that Taylormade created a club that has some similar features as a PXG but also some enhancements (higher COR). And cheaper. Maybe PXG should sue Taylormade for that? Titleist did that to Costco. Guys living in the artificial world of unsupported high costs are scared.

In my mind, "making irons with foam "goo" inside" is one thing. Holding patents on "making irons with foam "goo" inside" is quite a different position to be in. This is could be similar the Titleist/Callaway battle all over again.

I find myself in a can't lose/can't win position because I own both PXG 0311 irons AND TM P790 irons. The only reason I picked up the TM irons was because they have less offset than my 0311's and more offset than the 0311T which had too little offset for my tastes.

Ok, comparison review please!

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Good for PXG. I get it people are jealous of PXG but Taylormade needs to get their tail kicked for what they did to the golf industry.

To me this is a clear rip off job and a quick attempt to turn around their lousy company (lost $100M last year alone).

PXG has every right to defend its patents and you can share all the old tech you like- if PXG has the patent then it doesn't matter what you have done in the past.

Good for PXG- Hell Taylormade has been suing every startup golf company in the world just to bury companies in litigation and bankrupt them. Cheer for Taylormade...I think not.

Same thing Titleist does to every start up ball company also. I could go on and on but it's completely normal unfortunately.

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

Seems strategic on the part of Taylor Made. They have been in this sort of litigation before when they knowingly violated Adams patents and were sued by Adams. The litigation resulted in Adidas acquiring Adams and slowly killing the business off. What doesn't make sense is I don't believe PXG will be as quick to settle as Adams was and the litigation could complicate the sale of TM.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I would think that ping will be looking at their patents since Parson aquired two of pings design engineers. Looks like a laywers free for all in the golf industry, lol's

I do not think Taylormade has to much to worry about, nothing about PXG is earth shattering.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Per the GolfWRX release spiel about the 790" In the two years TaylorMade spent developing the P-790 irons, it tested several filler materials, one of which was thermoplastic elastomer (TPE), the material PXG uses to fill the inside of its 0311 irons. “The problem with the TPE is that it completely kills your COR,” Bystedt says."

When I first read this, I thought "they really aren't hiding the fact that they are imitating the same process that PXG is using". The are inserting the goo the same way, building the head the same way. Now they are using the same TPE, and are tweaking on that.

You can't just flat out imitate a product. Clearly, the 0311 influenced the design of the 790. The engineer in the WRX article indirectly stated that himself. You can't seriously look at the 0311, how it's made, the materials and the process, and not believe Taylormade decided to make their own version of this. As soon as the P790 was released, everybody compared it to the 0311. Go read or watch ANY review and find one that doesn't mention PXG. Believe what you want about Mr. Parsons, but most anyone would sue over this, much like how PING should have sued PXG over the shaping of the PXG irons, particularly the 0311T a.k.a. the forged S55 with goo.

As has already been mentioned several pages back, Taylormade has a long history of making irons with foam "goo" inside so who's copying who?

And just as every ball maker cuts open the competitors balls to see what they are up to, it's obvious that Taylormade cut open a PXG club or two. Does that mean they copied them? NO. If anything it seems that Taylormade created a club that has some similar features as a PXG but also some enhancements (higher COR). And cheaper. Maybe PXG should sue Taylormade for that? Titleist did that to Costco. Guys living in the artificial world of unsupported high costs are scared.

In my mind, "making irons with foam "goo" inside" is one thing. Holding patents on "making irons with foam "goo" inside" is quite a different position to be in. This is could be similar the Titleist/Callaway battle all over again.

I find myself in a can't lose/can't win position because I own both PXG 0311 irons AND TM P790 irons. The only reason I picked up the TM irons was because they have less offset than my 0311's and more offset than the 0311T which had too little offset for my tastes.

Here is a link to my post in the p790 thread that provides comparison between the p790 and pxg 0311xf irons, which was done by michael newton golf.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1521528-taylormade-p790-irons/page__st__330?do=findComment&comment=16119454

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Yet another thread where the value of this board and its members really shines through.

With hundreds of thousands of members many are attorneys - there is no doubt. And I honestly and sincerely enjoy reading their replies when they share their knowledge and expertise.

This next statement might sound like I am being silly or something but in all seriousness - is this lawsuit going to potentially adversely affect the prices of the used TM items out there? Cause a sort of a devaluing?

I was amazed at how quickly the Nike drivers dropped in price/value. Great drivers could be had for incredibly low prices and I could not help but wonder if a lawsuit such as this, with such critical/bad timing for TM, could cause a drop in their market value?

Thanks again to the attorneys on here for sharing - and in advance for some educated guesses on my question.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Here is a link to my post in the p790 thread that provides comparison between the p790 and pxg 0311xf irons, which was done by michael newton golf.

http://www.golfwrx.c...s#entry16119454

That's a link to the thread, not the specific post. Go to your post. Over on the right is the number which tells you what post it is in the thread. Click on that number and then copy and paste the url from that.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

^^^^ corrected link posted above....and here:

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry16119454

Thx. Wanted to watch the video but didn't feel like parsing 19 pages of a thread to find it.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Yet another thread where the value of this board and its members really shines through.

With hundreds of thousands of members many are attorneys - there is no doubt. And I honestly and sincerely enjoy reading their replies when they share their knowledge and expertise.

This next statement might sound like I am being silly or something but in all seriousness - is this lawsuit going to potentially adversely affect the prices of the used TM items out there? Cause a sort of a devaluing?

I was amazed at how quickly the Nike drivers dropped in price/value. Great drivers could be had for incredibly low prices and I could not help but wonder if a lawsuit such as this, with such critical/bad timing for TM, could cause a drop in their market value?

Thanks again to the attorneys on here for sharing - and in advance for some educated guesses on my question.

A devaluing would happen if their clubs were somehow deemed to be inferior in quality than how they are perceived now, or if somehow there was a glut of product to be unleashed on the market. I don't foresee that as an outcome of any reasonable scenario here.

If anything, if there was a perception that TM would have to give up some IP, or stop using certain tech in their current lineup, prices could go up as buyers gobble up product before it comes off the market.

As others have mentioned, the lawsuit could be seen as a signal that TM offers an equal (or close to) product at a fraction of the price. (We all kind of knew that anyway :) ) In that case, TM prices could be viewed as a good deal, or too low for the market, and as people gobble up the product, they'd be willing to pay more than they currently are.

Anyhow, I don't see a scenario in which perception of TM product changes negatively, and I don't see a scenario in which a glut of product hits the market.

Not a lawyer, so somebody who IS one, please fill me (and everybody else in) but how does a "broad" patent work, such as when PXG might patent say "foam injection molding" inside of a club face? Does that mean NO other companies in the world are now allowed to put foam inside their irons? Or is it just the exact process by which it is done?

To me this is like a car company putting a patent on the idea of using a steering wheel. How could one company be allowed to put a strangle hold on a certain way of building something that could be done a million different ways?

Unless TM copied PXGs exact formula for the foam, the way it's sprayed in... down to every last detail, from my layman's point of view, I don't see how this holds up in court.

I'm a lawyer who practiced patent litigation for 7 years, and now in-house counsel doing patent licensing.

The patent only protects the inventions as described in the claims (the long, numbered sentences in the last few pages of the patent itself). None of the PXG patents appear (based on my brief review) to be so broad as cover simply foam injection molding into a clubhead. All the claims appear to require a club head with elastomeric polymer inside in addition to many specific limitations regarding the location and quantity of weight ports in the clubhead. The claims are really, really specific and PXG by no means has a monopoly on the ability to inject foam or polymers into golf clubs.

Ping G425 - Oban Revenge 5
2h & 4h Ping G410 - Ping Tour 90
5-9 Srixon Z585 - Steelfiber FC90cw
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46* & 50* 

TM Bigfoot Raw 56* 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten
Vice Pro

I play what is best for my game regardless of the brand and made to switch to PXG since the beginning of the year and was really impress with the stopping power, height, distance and forgiveness. Mainly was impress with the stopping power. Tried the P790 but it doesn't have the stopping power like PXG.

Know there is loads of hate for PXG but for a high handicapper like me playing to +15, the PXG really is pretty good. Don't really care about the lawsuit but am please that every company now is trying to bring their best to us and that's a good thing.

Stopping power? C'mon, man!!!

Yea stopping power. In case someone breaks into his house in the middle of the night it will only take 1 golf ball hit to take down the intruder. Lol

That's only with the larger caliber clubs like their new driving iron as an example.

Thats a great point. Hopefully he's got the hollow point screws in the right place

Right, some type of a law-enforcement round Tour Issue golf ball would help too

I heard the K-sig stops intruders in his tracks as well as a pro v

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Taylormade infringed by saying their sweet spot was the size of Alaska. ChaFoom! Total rip of genius marketing

Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
Ping Glide 50 SS
Cleveland CG16 , 56
Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

When Nike got out of the hard goods business their newest clubs were heavily discounted by retailers and Nike to minimize their losses. Once the new equipment market was devalued it had a ripple effect on the used equipment as well, except for those older models that were very highly regarded or seen as a collectible.

If TM loses the lawsuit and that affects their on-going business or the sale of their business by Adidas the uncertainty could result in a sell off of new equipment but it's not likely to be catastrophic like Nike exiting the hard goods market so I wouldn't worry.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Is this the play then? the lawsuit just forces the Private equity group to drop the sale then Parsons takes over and buys TM? He gets the woods he needs to make his line complete. We end up paying way to much for Golf equipment in the future???

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Is this the play then? the lawsuit just forces the Private equity group to drop the sale then Parsons takes over and buys TM? He gets the woods he needs to make his line complete. We end up paying way to much for Golf equipment in the future???

I doubt anyone except the Private Equity Group (PEG) and Adidas knows what events would qualify as just cause to terminate the acquisition agreement. We also don't know who authorized the sale and advertising of the P790 irons, was it Adidas or the PEG?

As many suggested in the Titleist vs Costco lawsuit, this suit will bring a lot of free publicity to both companies. If TM knows they are in violation of PXG patents they will try to settle and acquire a licensing agreement from PXG otherwise they may be forced to pull the P790 irons off the market until the patent violations are addressed. There are way too many unknowns to even speculate what the real motivations of PXG and TM are.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I doubt anyone except the Private Equity Group (PEG) and Adidas knows what events would qualify as just cause to terminate the acquisition agreement. We also don't know who authorized the sale and advertising of the P790 irons, was it Adidas or the PEG?

As many suggested in the Titleist vs Costco lawsuit, this suit will bring a lot of free publicity to both companies. If TM knows they are in violation of PXG patents they will try to settle and acquire a licensing agreement from PXG otherwise they may be forced to pull the P790 irons off the market until the patent violations are addressed. There are way too many unknowns to even speculate what the real motivations of PXG and TM are.

Agree. Just speculation. PXG irons seem good but don’t know anyone that likes the woods

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

TM will not have to stop selling the 790s during the pendency of the lawsuit. Only in the highly unlikely event the Court grants the TRO and then also grants a preliminary injunction may that happen. The odds of that happening, however, are crazy low.

Ping G425 - Oban Revenge 5
2h & 4h Ping G410 - Ping Tour 90
5-9 Srixon Z585 - Steelfiber FC90cw
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46* & 50* 

TM Bigfoot Raw 56* 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten
Vice Pro

TM will not have to stop selling the 790s during the pendency of the lawsuit. Only in the highly unlikely event the Court grants the TRO and then also grants a preliminary injunction may that happen. The odds of that happening, however, are crazy low.

Just noticed, nice 771s in your sig.

Being on the trip to test the 790 irons, I asked if Taylormade, and other brands, get other clubs and reverse engineer them. The answer was a resounding yes, everyone does it. They tested a lot of different fillers in the head before they landed on the speed foam.

Again, my thought here is that Parsons is butt hurt about someone designing an iron similar to his and performing better.

Again, my thought here is that Parsons is butt hurt about someone designing an iron similar to his and performing better.

Performing better? Says who? Surely that is subjective, but coming from a person who won a trip to TM for the 790 fitting we shouldn't expect any less I guess.....

TaylorMade M5 Tour 10.5  w/ Graphite Design MJ 5
TaylorMade M6 14 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro Blue 70
PXG 0317X 17 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90
PXG 0311T 3-PW w/ KBS TGI 100
PXG 0311 Milled 54/60 w/ Black Onyx DG TI S400
Scotty Cameron 009
Bridgestone Tour B X 

In my mind, "making irons with foam "goo" inside" is one thing. Holding patents on "making irons with foam "goo" inside" is quite a different position to be in.

Uhm, actually, making something long before the patent was issued to somebody else is actually a pretty big deal. Parsons is going to lose these patents over this.

...you can share all the old tech you like- if PXG has the patent then it doesn't matter what you have done in the past.

I'm guessing neither one of you are familiar with "prior art"? These patents are all so broad and ridiculous that I am amazed they were ever granted in the first place.

-------------

Let's all take a closer look at the ones that are specifically listed in the lawsuit:

'336 - A weight port on the toe at or below the midplane. WOW! Obviously deserving of a patent since nobody else has EVER put a weight port on a golf club towards the bottom/toe.

'143 - TWO weight ports, with one weighing LESS than the other. Revolutionary Bob, how did you ever come up with that one?

'938 - Face thickness less than 1.5mm. Really? I mean they truly granted this crap? BRB guys... I'm gonna go apply for a patent on a rocket that goes to the moon.

'203 - Toe, top, sole, front, and back... multi piece construction. Done before, and this is getting repetitive.

'727 - Weight ports again, this time worded exactly the same as 143, but there might be MORE sole weights!

'201 - Basically now just combining all of the above into one and padding out the ol' patent portfolio. "We have 128 patents!... nevermind the fact that it's really just like 4 ideas reworded 32 different ways, and the original 4 are things that everyone else was already doing, but it's totally 128 patents and Bob is a super awesome philanthropist and avid golfer and his clubs are super, duper, meteorically successful!

'481 - Volume of the interior cavity. Should be thrown out for being obvious given the already set nature of iron head size.

'853 - Weights again. This time it states that the weight itself might be a different material than the rest of the club. Duh. That's kind of the point of these things. If they were the same material as the head, you wouldn't be able to effectively add much weight now would you? So you use tungsten for your heavies. And Titanium for your lights. Thrown out for being obvious as well as already having been done.

These patents are just bad, and whoever issued them should feel bad.

D - MyStealth+ 9* - Ventus Black 5X 

3w - Sim 14* - Diamana A'hina 60X

5w - M3 19* - Diamana B70X

4h - M1 21* - Kuro Kage Black 80X

5i-PW - P770-20 - DG 105VSS X100

50/55/60 - RTX Zipcore - DG Spinner

P - 2-ball Protype Black

It's not all process in the lawsuit. Apparently design is part of it according to this article from Golf Magazine. Probably more of a business move by Parsons but the fact is that design is indeed part of this lawsuit.

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/09/13/inside-pxg-patent-suit-taylormade-equipment-company-prove-to-win

Performing better? Says who? Surely that is subjective, but coming from a person who won a trip to TM for the 790 fitting we shouldn't expect any less I guess.....

given the fact that TM has been designing clubheads since before Parsons became a big head billionaire then id say they likely preform as good or better .... they have had a chance to reverse engineer parsons irons , then address any shortcomings.... so yes its likely that the TM product is better when you add the tech to the experience of TM.... but its probably more accurate to say they are equal in tech and it comes down to feel and turf interaction... since the 790 is smaller id give them the knod...especially at half price...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1. You don't have to have a patent on what a club is made of. PXG sued based on a process patent. A process patent patents the process by which a product is made, not what the finished product is. All these posts about how long people have had whatever foam in what are irrelevant. We have zero idea if TM violated (or didn't violate) a process patent. The suit is over the process by which the club is constructed, not the technology in the finished product.

2. Taylormade was just purchased for only 425 million by a private equity firm. They are incredibly vulnerable right now. It is likely that the current executives in charge have no idea how to defend this, and Parsons' timing is perfect. They need to spent to pay for the financing on the acquisition, and they will have basically zero free cash to defend themselves. Its pretty common for companies to get hammered and dog piled on by competitors when they are bought using high leverage by private equity. Contrary to this thread, Parsons is no dummy, and its not a coincidence he waited until a private equity firm was in charge (and not golf people) to do this. Most probable is that he wants something TM has, and he wants to buy it at a slight markup. The private equity guys just want a flip, so they'll play ball rather than defend golf technology they barely understand using cash they don't have. Its a super aggressive move, but it isn't dumb.

PXG needs to improve its woods desperately and TM is pretty good at those. Smells like a settlement with a cross-license, which TM would never give without force. Now that they are thinly capitalized and owned by non-golf people, Parsons is attacking. If TM was still owned by Adidas, this never happens.

So, about 80% of posts in this thread are dealing with a non-issue - the composition of the irons is irrelevant. Its a process issue. We will have to see how it plays out, but all this speculation is silly.

I don't think there is anything related to timing going on here. TaylorMade just recently showed their new irons off which are about to be released. Bob swiftly sued them. The dominoes fell quickly.

So when does Bob get sued for taking Ping's design and ideas?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna