Maui / Ka'anapali Golf

Good day folks,

Any suggestions for golf in Maui (near Ka'anapali)? I have decided to dust off my Club Glove and travel with my sticks.

Thanks

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good day folks,

Any suggestions for golf in Maui (near Ka'anapali)? I have decided to dust off my Club Glove and travel with my sticks.

Thanks

There are a few course in Ka'anapali but none of them hold a candle to Kapalua (Plantation). It's only a 10-20 minute drive from Ka'anapali if memory serves.

Ping G410 - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff
915F 3w
913H (19) - Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY
Titleist AP3 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 (2012)

We played the Plantation course at Kapalua, the Black and Gold courses at Wailea, and the two courses on Lanai. All the courses were really nice. The Plantation was cool because they play a PGA event there (it was 40 mph winds the day we played, so not real fun). Bang for the buck...Lanai. It was about $350 for both courses and the round trip boat ride to the island. We were there in late May and the courses were in great shape.

Kapalua (Plantation) is a must as they say "play where the pros play", I lived in Hawaii for 6 years (total of 9) on my last military assignment, I made it a point to play as many courses I could, ^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^ is a very good recommendation!!!!

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

The plantation course is one of the prettiest courses in the world. Sure it may not be the best designed course in the world from a pure course layout and golf perspective.. but all of those issues are made up for by the views... on every single hole... breathtaking views.

I know many disagree with this, but I wasn't overly impressed with Wailea Gold.. it was 'OK' in my book. For the cost, spend the extra $150 or whatever it is and play Plantation... It's worth it.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

If price is not a huge factor, if you're up in the NW part of Maui I'd go:

- Plantation course is a real treat if you've never played it. A great experience and really humbles you when you see what the pro's shoot and where they can put their drives

- Kapalua Bay Course - Doesn't get as much pub because the Plantation Course is the other one run by Kapalua, but this is a really cool course with some fun topography coming into play and holes right on the water

- Ka'anapali Royal Course - Good course, not usually in the condition of either Kapalua course, but definitely the better of the two Ka'anapali courses. Used to host a Sr. PGA Tour event or skins game. Also hosted a season of Big Break I believe?

- Ka'anapali Kai Course - Not really worth playing if any of the others mentioned are available.

You can travel all over the globe, but you are unlikely to find a course as dramatic or as beautiful as Kapalua Plantation. It's an absolute must-play, and the Moco Loco at the Plantation Grill is a must-eat before your round.

Next, I agree with Silver Bullets that Wailea Gold is massively overrated relative to other Maui courses. The Emerald might be worth a go if you can get a decent deal (~$120), but other than that, the Wailea area is sort of a black hole for golf.

Last time I was on the island, I walked much of the Ka'anapali Royal course, and while it's certainly nice, it's really no different from any decent course in Florida.

If you're willing to pay and are seeking a one-of-a-kind experience, then I recommend King Kamehameha with its two distinct nines and Frank Lloyd Wright clubhouse. Because of its unique position on the eastern side of the volcano, the front 9 is often dry while the back 9 receives intermittent rain showers. Bonus? The day I played, there were only eight people on the golf course.

Finally, you might enjoy The Dunes at Maui Lani and also Pukalani, both of which are a little quirky with interesting routings.

Parting shot? Golf on Maui is hard. The wind is almost always a factor; you won't get much roll-out anywhere; and every spot that isn't explicitly golf course is...jungle.

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Good day folks,

Thanks

Kaanapali is my least favorite course in Hawaii. My experience is that it is more windy there than other parts of Maui. And the grain on their greens is the worst I have ever played.

You should consider a day trip to Lanai and play The Challenge at Manele. It's spectacular.

Thank you all for the suggestions! It seems like the decision is pretty one-sided from the responses!

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

I played 2 days unlimited golf a couple years ago at kapalua. Played 3 rounds on plantation & 1 round on Bay w/ a caddie. It was a good decision. I only remember 1 hole on Bay: par 3 over the pacific. Bay was nice but not in my top 50 ever. Plantation is my 3rd fav ever, I thought it was much better than Pebble & Torrey

I've played everyone of the courses mentioned here (including the Lanai courses) and I think Kapalua Plantation course is by far the most over rated (and expensive). Other than being able to tell your friends you hit 400 yard drive (downhill downwind #17) it's kind of a waste of 350$. Both times I played there it was in terrible shape and the wind blew 30mph the whole time.

For a little more you can get a pass at Wailea and play all 3 courses and enjoy yourself. It's a vacation right?

(Side note.. the old Makena South course was my favorite back in the day, it's an RTJ design that was ruined by the new owners. I think it's actually closed now)

Callaway Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* Ventus Black 6X (green dot adapter set to 7*)

Maverik Sub Zero 13.5 Ventus Blue 7X

Apex UW 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Callaway X Forged 4-PW Modus 125X

Apex MB Gap Wedge  50* Modus 125X

Vokey 56S & 60L TT Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select Newport

Good day folks,

Thanks

I played Kapalua, Dunes a Maui and Wialea a long time ago (9-10 years). All were good in there own right. At the time they were the best you could play public and still are....not sure??. I will be there in for a vacation again in 3-4 months (January) so wondering the same. I did see the prices have changed alot in the last 10 years LOL

I've played everyone of the courses mentioned here (including the Lanai courses) and I think Kapalua Plantation course is by far the most over rated (and expensive). Other than being able to tell your friends you hit 400 yard drive (downhill downwind #17) it's kind of a waste of 350$. Both times I played there it was in terrible shape and the wind blew 30mph the whole time.

For a little more you can get a pass at Wailea and play all 3 courses and enjoy yourself. It's a vacation right?

(Side note.. the old Makena South course was my favorite back in the day, it's an RTJ design that was ruined by the new owners. I think it's actually closed now)

When I played it was around $200 if I recall and thought it was not worth the money either based on conditions. This year I will be there the Tuesday after the championship so I am sure it will be perfect. Just not sure I want to spend the money on it....

Edit: I did not play Makena South but locals said was one of the better ones on the island. To bad is gone now.

• 1 month later...

Played makena when they were not converted to one private, all Wailea courses and soon JP moves up to Kapalua Bay and later this week maybe Plantation.

Supposed to be some rain this week, but shouldn’t be an issue. Wailea Gold is very good, decent course too. Emerald is glorious during the right time as it pops with color, but it is a somewhat easy driving course, as is their Blue. I am not such a fan of the Blue but it’s cheaper too.

JP hopes to first try the Bay course then take a whack at Platation, see how many balls he looses!

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

Great shot there. I'm surprised you can't see the house immediately behind the green in this pic.

And I agree completely about enjoying my time on the Plantation course.

I admit to being a little disappointed that the conditions were "Bermuda-nice" (something I'm familiar with here in Texas), and the greens were rolling a hair under 9 the day I played. But then reality set in, and I realized when you're playing island golf, you either get paspalum or Bermuda.

It is what it is. You can't put Oakmont on the side of a volcano.

But you can have a friggin blast playing the Plantation course—and its FIVE par 5s—while enjoying some of the most remarkable scenery anywhere in the world.

(And I have to say: I negotiated the volcano and made some pretty cool uphill and downhill putts, and that challenge only enhanced my experience.)

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Great shot there. I'm surprised you can't see the house immediately behind the green in this pic.

And I agree completely about enjoying my time on the Plantation course.

I admit to being a little disappointed that the conditions were "Bermuda-nice" (something I'm familiar with here in Texas), and the greens were rolling a hair under 9 the day I played. But then reality set in, and I realized when you're playing island golf, you either get paspalum or Bermuda.

It is what it is. You can't put Oakmont on the side of a volcano.

But you can have a friggin blast playing the Plantation course—and its FIVE par 5s—while enjoying some of the most remarkable scenery anywhere in the world.

(And I have to say: I negotiated the volcano and made some pretty cool uphill and downhill putts, and that challenge only enhanced my experience.)

We got lucky. They aerated in early May and had reduced the rates to ~$175 for the entire month. I just so happened to have a tee time on May 31 which meant everything was pretty much healed and I got the last day of the reduced rates. Win-Win!

WITB
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0*

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* 

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 19* 

Ping i525 4-UW

Titleist Vokey SM8- 54* and 58*

Custom Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #1

Played makena when they were not converted to one private, all Wailea courses and soon JP moves up to Kapalua Bay and later this week maybe Plantation.

Supposed to be some rain this week, but shouldn’t be an issue. Wailea Gold is very good, decent course too. Emerald is glorious during the right time as it pops with color, but it is a somewhat easy driving course, as is their Blue. I am not such a fan of the Blue but it’s cheaper too.

JP hopes to first try the Bay course then take a whack at Platation, see how many balls he looses!

JP refers to himself in the 3rd person? Does JP wear fancy shoes while playing basketball to impress the girls?