Titleist's new "AVX" golf balls, with premium urethane covers

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the AVX is a good ball. it does not suite me as i prefer the highest spinning ball i can find. I am a very low spin guy and so i play the spiniest thing i can find. almost everything goes the same distance off the tee so i dont really care if i give up a yard or two off the tee so that i can have a spin machine around the green. these do not spin around the green as much as i would like.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

i think the AVX is a good ball. it does not suite me as i prefer the highest spinning ball i can find. I am a very low spin guy and so i play the spiniest thing i can find. almost everything goes the same distance off the tee so i dont really care if i give up a yard or two off the tee so that i can have a spin machine around the green. these do not spin around the green as much as i would like.

Did you try B-XS yet? Biter

Did you try B-XS yet? Biter

yes, love it.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

So this ball is Titleists most successful launch since the original ProV1. A lot of the naysayers better be hungry, because there is crow to be eaten.

Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
Adams Tight Lies 3-16
Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
Vokey SM 09 56
Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"

So this ball is Titleists most successful launch since the original ProV1. A lot of the naysayers better be hungry, because there is crow to be eaten.

Uh oh the BiggErn batsignal has been lit

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

Judging from the sales and usage at my club, along with the fact I have not even seen it being sold at any of the other course pro shops in the area, that may be a bit of an overstatement. A few people really, really, really like it (myself included) but it still has yet to reach any sort of widespread adoption.

Judging from the sales and usage at my club, along with the fact I have not even seen it being sold at any of the other course pro shops in the area, that may be a bit of an overstatement. A few people really, really, really like it (myself included) but it still has yet to reach any sort of widespread adoption.

A buddy who is the GM at a large, national golf chain told me its the fastest selling golf ball release ever for his store. An overstatement that is not.

A buddy who is the GM at a large, national golf chain told me its the fastest selling golf ball release ever for his store. An overstatement that is not.

That's interesting.

Back at what we thought was the end of the "test marketing" I bought a bunch of them at a knockdown price from a pro shop down in Florida.

I had an E-mail exchange with the guy who said he had received a big shipment and hardly sold a single sleeve, let alone dozens. Said it was the same at a couple other courses near him.

But he knew guys at other courses around the country and some of them said they were selling great. Seems a very localized type of thing, maybe word of mouth or something like that?

Fascinating response to this product.

Being the inveterate ball-ho' that I am, every couple months I try some other balls for several rounds (K-Sigs, TP5, my old favorite ProV1x, couple rounds with MTB Red) fand fully expect to wake up one day and realize, "Hey wait a minute, these other balls are really working any different than AVX for me).

So far I'm like 0-for-4 in those trials. Guess it's about time to just settle in enjoy the ride. But decades of experience makes me profoundly cynical about there being major differences among good-quality golf balls of a particular type.

They have been available in California for what a year ? I have only found 1 in the wild. I did buy a sleeve to try and wasn’t impressed but they are not flying off the shelves here

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

That's interesting.

Back at what we thought was the end of the "test marketing" I bought a bunch of them at a knockdown price from a pro shop down in Florida.

I had an E-mail exchange with the guy who said he had received a big shipment and hardly sold a single sleeve, let alone dozens. Said it was the same at a couple other courses near him.

But he knew guys at other courses around the country and some of them said they were selling great. Seems a very localized type of thing, maybe word of mouth or something like that?

Fascinating response to this product.

Being the inveterate ball-ho' that I am, every couple months I try some other balls for several rounds (K-Sigs, TP5, my old favorite ProV1x, couple rounds with MTB Red) fand fully expect to wake up one day and realize, "Hey wait a minute, these other balls are really working any different than AVX for me).

So far I'm like 0-for-4 in those trials. Guess it's about time to just settle in enjoy the ride. But decades of experience makes me profoundly cynical about there being major differences among good-quality golf balls of a particular type.

Unfortunately I am on a first name basis with the GM at my local GG and he was telling me that they sell a lot of both the AVX and the Tour Soft or whatever that soft one that they came out with was called. Both are selling very very well from his feedback.

What's your current gamer ball?

Yellow AVX is what I've played for something like 85 of my last 100 rounds.

The remainder were split among anywhere from two to six rounds each trying out:

3 rounds K-Sig (and K-3 alongside it)

6 rounds TP5

2 rounds MTB Red

9 holes here and there with ProV1x

Of those I could have been happy enough playing ProV1x or TP5 or K-Sig if I had never come across AVX ;-)

The MTB Red and K-3...well my daddy always said if you can't say something nice...

As I said on another thread, I was playing alone recently and hitting two or three balls off the tee. On one hole into the wind, I hit a couple shots with a ProV1x, one of them quite well. Then I also caught one with the AVX. It was 5 or 6 yards farther down the fairway when I got there - I could even see that it was longer from the tee.

I need long into the wind, so I bought two more boxes.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I found one recently and thought it was a Pro V due to the font. I used it for 9 holes without even noticing. It is a great ball but the price point is questionable.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7

Been playing Bridgestone B300RX balls for the last 3 years and really enjoyed them. Tried a few other balls; ProV1's, TP5 and Chromesoft, but for the money the Bridgestone worked the best me. I tried the AVX after seeing it on several YouTube videos, They are definitely longer with the driver, anywhere between 4-10 yards longer. I do sacrifice some spins around the greens, but have been able to compensate. The biggest difference was the "feel" of them while putting, they are very "soft" (quiet). If the street price comes down to match the Bridgestone, I would definitely buy them.

So, I went and tested 4 golf balls on the launch monitor (Flightscope GC2) at my local Golf super store, and was really intrigued by the numbers. I hit 3 good shots with each ball and grabbed averages. Pictures attached below.

I thought that data would answer all my questions, and it did for the most part.

I tested the :

Pro V1

Pro V1x

AVX

Bridgestone B XS

After this session I proclaimed the X as my ball of choice. And I confidently put it in play in my first amateur tourney, and first tourney in 6 years. I had a good showing, and placed T-6 after a round of 71 (-1). But I can confidently tell you that I lost 3-4 strokes due to the overly spinning nature of the Pro V1x. The wind blew 10 - 20mph that day, and was the cause for many a missed green.

Into the wind the Pro V1x killed me, I was clubbing up twice to get my numbers, then the ball would spin back about 12 - 15 feet, sometimes off the green.

I realized that if the conditions are windy and the greens are receptive, than the AVX would be a very good choice. That day left me wanting the AVX in windy and receptive greens conditions.

If the greens are rock hard, and the wind is down, then the ProV1x is the perfect ball, because the AVX doesn't spin nearly enough to hold rock hard greens.

You are probably thinking, why not take the middle ground and go with the Pro V1. I have thought about that, but the spin numbers aren't drastically different than the X, just a slight reduction. That will help in the wind, but by how much? If testing proves successful, then the V could be the one.

Needless to say, I'll be testing both the V and the AVX in windy conditions, and I think I will ultimately play the ball that best suits the conditions of the day, or at least thats the strategy.

I'm just a super high spin player, and got killed in the wind, and the spin numbers of the AVX look very appealing, and can help mitigate that problem. I even switched to V groove irons (Titleist 681) to drop spin and it worked. It took 1,000rpms off my 7 iron.

Let me know what you guys think of the numbers.

Driver - Cobra LTD Pro

7 iron: Titleist 681

Wedge: 56* SM6

Avian 455 TL, 8.5º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 60X
Avian 355 FW, 14.5º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 60X
Avian 355 FW, 19º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70X
Titleist T200 4 iron, 24º, project X 6.5
Avian 335 blades, 5-9 irons, OBAN CT-125X

Titleist Vokey SM9 48.10F, TT X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 RAW 52.12F, 56.10F, 60.04T, TT S400

Weston Putters - Highland, KBS GPS 120

Launch Monitor - FlightScope Mevo+

Instagram

So, I went and tested 4 golf balls on the launch monitor (Flightscope GC2) at my local Golf super store, and was really intrigued by the numbers. I hit 3 good shots with each ball and grabbed averages. Pictures attached below.

I thought that data would answer all my questions, and it did for the most part.

I tested the :

Pro V1

Pro V1x

AVX

Bridgestone B XS

After this session I proclaimed the X as my ball of choice. And I confidently put it in play in my first amateur tourney, and first tourney in 6 years. I had a good showing, and placed T-6 after a round of 71 (-1). But I can confidently tell you that I lost 3-4 strokes due to the overly spinning nature of the Pro V1x. The wind blew 10 - 20mph that day, and was the cause for many a missed green.

Into the wind the Pro V1x killed me, I was clubbing up twice to get my numbers, then the ball would spin back about 12 - 15 feet, sometimes off the green.

I realized that if the conditions are windy and the greens are receptive, than the AVX would be a very good choice. That day left me wanting the AVX in windy and receptive greens conditions.

If the greens are rock hard, and the wind is down, then the ProV1x is the perfect ball, because the AVX doesn't spin nearly enough to hold rock hard greens.

You are probably thinking, why not take the middle ground and go with the Pro V1. I have thought about that, but the spin numbers aren't drastically different than the X, just a slight reduction. That will help in the wind, but by how much? If testing proves successful, then the V could be the one.

Needless to say, I'll be testing both the V and the AVX in windy conditions, and I think I will ultimately play the ball that best suits the conditions of the day, or at least thats the strategy.

I'm just a super high spin player, and got killed in the wind, and the spin numbers of the AVX look very appealing, and can help mitigate that problem. I even switched to V groove irons (Titleist 681) to drop spin and it worked. It took 1,000rpms off my 7 iron.

Let me know what you guys think of the numbers.

Driver - Cobra LTD Pro

7 iron: Titleist 681

Wedge: 56* SM6

So, according to the launch monitor numbers, the ProV1X should be longer. But into the wind, the lower spin of the AVX helps it outdistance the ProV1x.

I'd go experience over launch monitor data.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Those numbers are totally consistent with several similar things I've seen various places (the one by Dallas Golf, Rick Shiels and a couple of YouTubers, one previous post on this forum). Extreme similarity between ProV1 and ProV1x with the ProV1x being slightly higher spin (and almost everyone finds a trivial bit of extra ball speed too). AVX having that lower iron spin but nothing else standing out as different.

The thing none of these initial-launch-only monitors are showing is the aerodynamic performance of the ball in flight. I'm convinced that today's ball makers have a great ability to manipulate the flight up or down and control descent angle by choosing dimple patterns (in concert with the ball's other characteristics).

Having see so many "almost no difference' launch monitor assessments of the AVX's initial launch conditions off the driver and also having 100+ rounds of my own experience to go on there's nothing in the initial spin, initial launch angle or ball speed numbers off the driver that could possibly make AVX longer than ProV1x with that club. The differences are trivial and if anything would favor ProV1x by a yard or two.

So it's gotta be the lower ("penetrating" as Titleist would say) ball flight of AVX. Because the AVX certainly stays lower, handles a breeze better and runs far hotter when it lands. Wish we could see some good, thorough tryouts using Trackman to assess downrange height and landing angle...

I've played this ball along side a ProV1X for several rounds now. I like the feel off the putter, seems softer to me, and its pretty good around the greens.

One thing that I have noticed is the ball is consistently 1/2 club longer off the irons. I have no data to support this, as I am not a launch monitor fan, just real world testing on the course. I have not noticed a significant difference in distance with the driver, only the irons for some reason.

Overall I like the ball, but am pretty comfortable with my ProV1x on and around the greens, so I doubt I will be making a switch.

Just my 2 cents...

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

Well, I came back. Don't get me wrong, I liked using the ProV1x, but it had too much sidespin. The TP5x was almost there and I was impressed. It was LONG, but it had just enough sidespin to give me pause. But when you got it, it was amazing.That being said, the AVX is just straight. off-line shots aren't as off-line, but the ball is just as long as anything out there, with just less spin. Greenside spin is still an issue and will probably use the TP5x if I need more greenside spin, but could literally use either one.

I'm back...for the most part! :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Well, I came back. Don't get me wrong, I liked using the ProV1x, but it had too much sidespin. The TP5x was almost there and I was impressed. It was LONG, but it had just enough sidespin to give me pause. But when you got it, it was amazing.That being said, the AVX is just straight. off-line shots aren't as off-line, but the ball is just as long as anything out there, with just less spin. Greenside spin is still an issue and will probably use the TP5x if I need more greenside spin, but could literally use either one.

In my initial testing (as I've banged on about at great length upthread!) I had the impression that I was giving up some greenside spin with AVX vs the ProV1x I was used to. After a while I concluded it was all in my mind. I just can't see anything happening now with AVX where I think "Man, that would have spun more with ProV1x".

In my initial testing (as I've banged on about at great length upthread!) I had the impression that I was giving up some greenside spin with AVX vs the ProV1x I was used to. After a while I concluded it was all in my mind. I just can't see anything happening now with AVX where I think "Man, that would have spun more with ProV1x".

I was saying the same thing. When I needed the ball to grab, I kept thinking it wasn't. I had to adjust how I played the and to account for the run-out. I simply had to play the ball farther away from the hole and let it do it's thing.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I now have 36 holes under my belt with the AVX. A few things: I love the extra distance, roughly 4-5 yards with the irons, and maybe 8-10 with the driver. Around the green, does it spin as much as my normal gamer TP5, no. However, I like the fact of a little more run-out with the AVX, seems more consistent with spin/run-out. For me on the green is where the AVX shines. The ball rolls smooth, with no explosions; meaning, I have played some balls that explode off the face and seemed difficult to control distance on long putts.

I'm a big fan of the ball, and for the price point, relative to the TP5, I'm pretty sure I'll be selecting this ball over anything else I have played (TP5, Tour BXS).

And the idea about the AVX being low launching. Did not see that at all. Seemed to launch on par to my TP5 to my eye.