2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Golfing alone

stikillller

When I got laid off from my job of 24 yrs. some years ago I had to start over and I was unable to make the regular tee times with all of my buddies due to my new job hrs.. I went out on my own since no one wanted to adjust to when I could play. I started walking, playing alone and I found out how much more I enjoyed playing. I usually play alone but have paired up with some really nice people along the way. Usually other single walkers.

In more recent yrs my group has tried to get me back since my work hrs. are more flexible now. I play with them occasionally but really prefer and play most of my golf alone now.

Mine is practically the same Florida story...I like to go out mid-afternoon as I have a garage on the 12th hole and will stop there for an hour or so for supper, then finish up the round just before dark. I have a beer or two and a cigar over the last 6 holes and it is quite enjoyable. There's nothing like seeing the Florida wildlife come out as the day fades away.

The course doesn't mind my taking 5+ hours to play as I volunteer there for 4 hours as week raking bunkers, fixing ball marks on greens, picking up beer cans, cigarette butts, etc. There's been many a day where the maintenance guys come to the garage and have a beer after work if they know I'm there.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

LOL, I could not be more opposite than this. When I play with friends I get distracted with socialization and lose focus, even if we are playing a competitive game. When I'm playing alone I do nothing but think about my game the entire round. I focus the entire time. I take my time on shots especially if I am out there completely by myself. If I'm by myself and alone out there I'll check out every angle of my putts and spend a lot more time setting up for putts, something I don't come close to doing when I'm with people.

Golf is enjoyed alone and with a group but has to be correct company. I love playing alone, i have music going and work on things and talk to myself. I am lucky now i have a built in playing partner, my daughter so i dont lack that aspect, she is fine cause we are alike and love golf move at a good pace. WE understand each other, so it works.

My Saturday foursome are like minded men, we go early so we can be home with family afterward. They move like i do and we mesh well. If this didnt happen i would rather play by myself it is better then being miserable for 2 to 4 hours.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I’ve enjoyed reading this thread. I belonged to a private club which was reasonably close to my office. I would often play, alone, before work or near dusk. It was great. If there was a shot I was working on, I could try it or even have a few attempts, I could really determine wedge distances. And especially in the evening it was especially beautiful. That club closed and I still play but it’s at a public course, farther away, and it’s harder to beat the daily golf traffic. Not knocking the course, it’s a business. But I do miss those quiet rounds, carrying a half set, walking off the course well after dark.

• 3 weeks later...

Over the past five years or so I've played about 80-90% of my rounds solo. This year it's really getting to me. I haven't played anywhere near as many times because I didn't want to go out alone.

Might be time to make some friends...

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

I prefer to play alone walking and carrying. The only exceptions are my son and one particular friend. Otherwise I just want to be alone on the course. Thankfully I primarily play at a private course where I can go out late in the day and pretty much have it to myself. People are a distraction to me as are golf carts. All I want to do is hit my shot and walk directly to my ball and hit my next shot. I'm mentally preparing for my next shop the entire time I'm walking to the ball. Deviating from that routine by playing with other people really kills my score and my enjoyment. The worst is sharing a cart with another person. I hate that. If I'm sharing a cart with another person you can easily add 4 or 5 shots to my score. If I'm sharing a cart I pretty much quit caring about the round within the first 4 holes.

Social animal . Hate playing alone. Golf for me is a time to be with golf buddies. The harassment and positive comments are all part of the picture of Golfing. Something about the fellowship adds to the excitement of the game.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Playing alone can be cool, but I need an empty course so I’m not constantly waiting and I wouldn’t want to do it every day. I’d generally prefer to play with friends and family, I enjoy the social aspect of golf plus it’s best to have witnesses for those really amazing shots (I’ve often thought that with my luck I’ll make my first ace while playing alone).

I rarely have had friends to play with so I am usually matched up with other people and usually walk why they ride, but I am a fast player, plus playing in the lesser expensive courses in the afternoon generally has meant one's playing partners always had someone looking for a ball so I never really slowed anyone down. Also, I don't mind a light conversation about golf and life in general.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Playing alone is my practice time. I get nothing out of beating balls on the range. But working on my game on the course has brought my handicap down from a 13 to a 8 in 3 years.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Seems to me there's a time and place for it. If you're fortunate to have access to a very lightly-trafficked course (say, 12-20 players out at any given time), playing alone gives you a chance to take some mulligans, try shots you normally wouldn't, and just lose yourself in the beauty of the surroundings.

But...IIRC, rounds as a single aren't recognized by the USGA, so God forbid you make your ace with no witnesses. Plus I enjoy the company of (most) other golfers.

I prefer to play with people. Sure, every now and then you can get matched with someone who just sucks the life out of the round but for the most part it is pleasant. I find when I play alone that it is much harder to get things back to good when things start going downhill. So much easier when you have someone to joke away the bad shots.

Too many people on the courses at the moment to even think about playing alone,unless you don’t mind waiting ages on every hole.Even playing in a three ball took nearly 5 hours to get round ,because of the constant waiting.Waste of time playing since lockdown ended.

Better off just going to the driving range.

Like to know these courses people are playing solo with no waiting.

Country clubs in mid to small sized cities

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

maybe this doesn't sound nice but i much prefer to play alone or just play with family. i am not really into meeting with people on the course. honestly, i can't even bring myself up to start a conversation. i work all the time and the last thing i want to do is meet people on the course and make the effort to get to know them.