Golfing alone

stikillller

I enjoy playing solo from time to time. I find I get a bit quick more often than not, but it is a chance to just play and play at it.

I realize it will sound odd, but Sunday I played solo, but I didn't play alone. Maybe it was because the first anniversary of Dads passing was a week before or because I had been looking over his tired 50 year old left handed 1 iron. Whatever the reason, As I played, memories of golf with Mom & Dad and a couple of others who have passed, found me on a beautiful Sunday morning out on the course. What a magical game.

• Like 1

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

I prefer to play alone these days

I dislike golf carts and so am a bit limited in courses and guys I used to play with don't like to walk.

I also prefer late tee times And I like to change things up- Sometimes I will play with just a short set of irons from the ladies tees etc.

I had my first hole in one playing with a partner- the second alone--I will say the first was more exciting but the second was also cool !!

• 2 years later...

Bumping this because I was thinking about this on my drive home after playing a quick 9 as a single today…

The thing that bothers me about playing alone is that I never seem to just play a round. I find myself after a few holes dropping a ball down and re-hitting a shot that I may not have been satisfied with, rolling extra putts, things like that.

Because of that I rarely score as well solo as when i’m playing with partners, even if we only have $1 or 2 on line. Its like I need that hint of competition to bring out the best in myself. And sometimes I worry that playing solo too much will carry over bad habits to my “normal” game. 

I do enjoy the peace and tranquility that a solo round can provide. But as far as playing my best golf in concerned, definitely like having some playing partners.

• Like 1

I enjoy playing alone, but I also enjoy playing with my normal group. 

Once the time changes, I try to get in 18 a few weekdays along with my weekend play.

Alone, has a therapeutic nature to it, but I do get paired up with people from time to time. I usually would just rather play by myself on weekdays though 

10 hours ago, DoughBack18 said:

Bumping this because I was thinking about this on my drive home after playing a quick 9 as a single today…

The thing that bothers me about playing alone is that I never seem to just play a round. I find myself after a few holes dropping a ball down and re-hitting a shot that I may not have been satisfied with, rolling extra putts, things like that.

Because of that I rarely score as well solo as when i’m playing with partners, even if we only have $1 or 2 on line. Its like I need that hint of competition to bring out the best in myself. And sometimes I worry that playing solo too much will carry over bad habits to my “normal” game. 

I do enjoy the peace and tranquility that a solo round can provide. But as far as playing my best golf in concerned, definitely like having some playing partners.

I've noticed a similar thing in that I can't play alone ALL the time. I prefer most of my rounds alone as it allows me to get a quick round in and get back to family (or play more holes). But after a while I tend to get a bit sloppy and need to play with others to get my focus up again. So now I try to make sure I'm playing with others at least every few weeks. Plus it's nice to enjoy the social side of golf as well.

• Like 1

I'm down to play with almost anyone, friends or strangers or solo as long as the pace is kept up. I've met some good people by random pairings and I wouldn't trade that for anything. So I'm just as comfortable playing alone at publics or taking solo golf trips knowing I'll either get the box to myself or I'll get paired up.

When I'm not paired up I do love getting an early AM tee time and cruising back into the clubhouse after 18 in around 2 hours. Sometimes they turn into practice rounds, which can be great as I don't practice nearly as much as I should and there are certain situations the range can never replicate. But that really only happens when I have to wait for two foursomes in front of me that think grinding over every shot on a random weekday at 8am on Oregon's 45th best public golf course is somehow going to net them an AQ to The Masters.

Edited by snakano
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2017 at 6:21 PM, stikillller said:

Anyone else have to or prefer to golf alone because friends can’t play with you? I’m a bit older now, mid 30’s, and a lot of my friends have kids and work and we aren’t ever able to get together to play. Well a few months back I ran into an old friend from years ago and it turns out he plays a lot. I started playing with him and he is very good.....but he has no personality and drives the cart like a mad man and I just plain don’t enjoy spending my day with the guy. I’ve been playing with him because I really have no one else to play with, but after today I’m done and I’m going to try playing alone....hopefully i get paired with randoms that are somewhat cool.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on playin alone and do some prefer it?

Playing alone is better than not playing at all! If you do it a lot and play around the same times, you'll find that you are playing with a lot of the same guys regularly. Great way to make new friends that share the same passion and schedule as you.

Edited by Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob

I'll be a dissenter and say I don't like playing solo. In fact, given the option to play alone or hit balls or chip and putt I'll take the latter almost every time. 

I recently took a vacation to Sarasota and a friend in the industry was able to put me out on a really nice course, but he couldn't come with and I didn't know anyone else in the town so I played alone.

It was pretty cool to see a new course and playing for free is always nice. However, I found myself constantly losing focus and feeling out of rhythm. When there was no one in front of me I played too fast for no reason. When there was a group ahead it felt like the wait was interminable. There was just no groove to get into.

I'd have been better off at the beach with my wife. When I met her back at the condo afterward I told her "I'm not sure if it's golf I'm actually into, or only golf with my buddies." True statement in my case. And I love golf. 

• Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

2 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I'll be a dissenter and say I don't like playing solo. In fact, given the option to play alone or hit balls or chip and putt I'll take the latter almost every time. 

I recently took a vacation to Sarasota and a friend in the industry was able to put me out on a really nice course, but he couldn't come with and I didn't know anyone else in the town so I played alone.

It was pretty cool to see a new course and playing for free is always nice. However, I found myself constantly losing focus and feeling out of rhythm. When there was no one in front of me I played too fast for no reason. When there was a group ahead it felt like the wait was interminable. There was just no groove to get into.

I'd have been better off at the beach with my wife. When I met her back at the condo afterward I told her "I'm not sure if it's golf I'm actually into, or only golf with my buddies." True statement in my case. And I love golf. 

I'm with you on this one - but I rarely play with people I know. I'm always a random single. But, I would always prefer to play with others.

Part of it is handicapping (i.e. qualifying for tournaments). I only get so many rounds a year, and if I play alone it is kind of a waste in that respect.

Beyond that, when I'm playing with others, there's a different mentality. It gets me much more into "serious golf" mode - rather than "I'm just out here mucking about."

I really relish playing with strangers. It forces me to be my best self.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

No Golf  <  Golf by Yourself  <  Golf with Friendly People  <  Golf with Friends  <<  Competing with Friends

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

semi-frequently play solo as I like to get out late afternoons and walk as many holes as possible before dark. I move quickly and try to maintain a consistent pace. That said, my strong preference is friendly competition with good friends. I rarely golf with strangers unless randomly paired by a course. I have a trip to Myrtle Beach coming up in April with my family. I have 5 rounds booked solo. It'll be interesting to see how I'm paired, as I'm typically teeing off between 8:30 and 9:45 AM. 

• Like 1