Ping Anser Classic Putter - Which is the best?

Hi all,

I'm looking to pick myself up a classic Ping Anser putter. From what I've read it seems it may be best to go with an old school milled putter.

Like a lot searches it started from looking at the Scotty 009 which led me to the Byron DH89. Unfortunately the Byron is above my price range and living in the UK shipping costs a small fortune.

I've heard both were modelled off the classic Anser and was hoping to pick up a more affordable one off ebay.co.uk.

There's been so many Ansers over the years it's hard to know which is best. From an aesthetic point of view I really like the classic copper / bronze look. I'd be open to the Nickel if you think it's better quality. A sight line for me is a must and the ping sound would be a bonus. I love the pictures attached which I pulled from an old post.

Not sure if it's relevant but I'm 5'9 (1.75m) so looking for 33.5 and below. Preference is towards the 350g weight range. I'd rather not have to send anything to Ping for customisation.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me suggest looking at 9903 Kevin Burns putters. A very quality milled putter that can be had for a good price considering these were $400 putters in the 1990's. José María Olazábal won the 1999 Masters using one. Craig Stadler and Fred Couples had used his putter too.

Some have a seen or hidden Copper insert. But any that I tried feel great!

TM M5 10.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X
Ping Stretch 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X
Ping 410H 19* with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X
Miura Bades 4-PW
Miura Wedges 51,55,59
Callaway PM 64
BB2  or one of my T.P. Mills handmade 

Let me suggest looking at 9903 Kevin Burns putters. A very quality milled putter that can be had for a good price considering these were $400 putters in the 1990's. José María Olazábal won the 1999 Masters using one. Craig Stadler and Fred Couples had used his putter too.

Some have a seen or hidden Copper insert. But any that I tried feel great!

I just did some Google searches and they look like really nice putters! Unfortunately though they're not very easy to get in the U.K :(

I think with that in mind a mainstream brand like Ping is probably my best bet to get something similar.

You won't find any old Ping Ansers at 350 grams unless inserts have been added, and if that's the case the seller will most likely want big money. The classic Anser is about 320 grams or so. The style that's been copied so often is the Scottsdale Anser style. You can find some really nice remake versions of these putters in BeNi, BeCu, and the original manganese bronze. Fantastic putters. If the sample you find is too long just shorten it. And lead tape on the bottom of the sole will bring up the weight.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

You won't find any old Ping Ansers at 350 grams unless inserts have been added, and if that's the case the seller will most likely want big money. The classic Anser is about 320 grams or so. The style that's been copied so often is the Scottsdale Anser style. You can find some really nice remake versions of these putters in BeNi, BeCu, and the original manganese bronze. Fantastic putters. If the sample you find is too long just shorten it. And lead tape on the bottom of the sole will bring up the weight.

Thanks for the reply. OK I'll try not get caught up in the weight too much until I have my hands on it. Would you recommend just going with either the classic Anser or the original Scottsdale Anser? There's so many models that it goes from the Anser 2 up to the Anser 5. There's also the Karsten TR which makes it even more confusing. It's hard to know which ones are milled and therefore what's the best purchase to look out for?

I'd start out with a regular old Bronze Ping Anser. It has the sound slot and makes that cool "tink" sound. You can probably find one in good shape, put a new grip on, lead tape the sole, (not over the slot), and be ready to go. I like the ones that have the 85068 zip codes and "Made in USA" on the back of the top line. They just seem to sit better on the ground.

Good luck

Titleist 915d2 8.5º (Diamana Red  M+50 Ltd S Flex 45.5")

Titleist 915f 15º (Diamana Blue 70 R Flex 42")

Titleist 910h 24º, 21º (Diamana Blue 80 R Flex)

Srixon 745 5-PW (DG Lite S300)

Vokey Raw Red Saw 09' 50.08, 54.11, 58.12 (DG S200)

SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Cleveland HB 11 Soft, or Acushnet Bulls Eye WFLO.

GP 360 and Lamkin Crossline Blk

Sound slot was standard on many Ansers, but not all. Same thing for the sight line. You may want to go to eBay and have a look.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

I have a BeCu Anser 2 and it's not my favorite. I've never felt the softness everyone talks about. I actually think it's a hard/crisp/clicky feeling putter.

The other negative is, because of it's brittle nature, there aren't many club makers who want to mess with them. So getting it bent to fit you could be a struggle.

Now that's the Anser 2. I think the only Anser made in BeCu is the Scottsdale, but I could be wrong.

Titleist 915d2 8.5º (Diamana Red  M+50 Ltd S Flex 45.5")

Titleist 915f 15º (Diamana Blue 70 R Flex 42")

Titleist 910h 24º, 21º (Diamana Blue 80 R Flex)

Srixon 745 5-PW (DG Lite S300)

Vokey Raw Red Saw 09' 50.08, 54.11, 58.12 (DG S200)

SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Cleveland HB 11 Soft, or Acushnet Bulls Eye WFLO.

GP 360 and Lamkin Crossline Blk

I have a BeCu Anser 2 and it's not my favorite. I've never felt the softness everyone talks about. I actually think it's a hard/crisp/clicky feeling putter.

The other negative is, because of it's brittle nature, there aren't many club makers who want to mess with them. So getting it bent to fit you could be a struggle.

Now that's the Anser 2. I think the only Anser made in BeCu is the Scottsdale, but I could be wrong.

When the BeCu putters first came out, the ball of choice was a balata wound ball.......putt one of these balls with your BeCU and tell me it's not the softest feeling putter you've ever used........

When the BeCu putters first came out, the ball of choice was a balata wound ball.......putt one of these balls with your BeCU and tell me it's not the softest feeling putter you've ever used........

I personally prefer the feel of BeNi over BeCu. Looks wise though, BeCu wins hands down.

Ping G400 Max 10.5* w/ Rogue Black
Ping G25 4W w/ TFC
Ping G25 20* Hybrid w/ TFC
Ping ie1 4-U w/ CFS
Ping Glide 54* WS
Ping Glide Stealth 58* ES
Cleveland HB SOFT  11 @ 35"

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great response. For those of you interested I thought I'd post what I ended up doing.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the Anser putter I was looking for on eBay. I'm still going to keep my eye out for the BeCu though.

I did however end up buy the Piretti Cottonwood II Rev2.0 (pics attached) which arrived this week.

Slightly heavier than what I'm used to but so far so good!