2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Hogan MacGregor Putter - 1950's ???

Okay, now that I have a proper set of 1950's Hogans I am trying to get my period correct putter with the set to start using that also. I picked up this putter at the Goodwill 2 years ago and have never found anything online about it. I am guessing it is from the early 50's or late 40's since it is a MacGregor putter with Ben Hogan on it. Hogan most likely would not have done this post 1954 when he started his company. It has a nice leather Tacki-Mack grip and a heavy steel shaft. Pretty sure it is bronze, but not 100% on that either. Not sure what all the strange scratch marks on the bottom of the putter, but I think it has plenty of game left in it. Would love to hear more about it since I am planning on kicking the HB-II out of the bag to start using this. Just have to find a nice vintage 1950's, early 1960's bag and I am ready to go. Already have the 1978 Commemorative woods, which in my opinion look very similar to the Mac Tourney 693's. What do you guys think? The last picture is the only picture I have ever found with a stamping like the one on the bottom of mine... pretty sure it is the same model, just in slightly better condition.

Agree with your thinking on the age. Other good options for a '50s bag would be Mac Ironmaster, Spalding Cash In or HBA, or a Reuter Bullseye.

I like the looks of the Mac Ironmaster you mentioned, looks similar to another style of putter that Hogan supposedly played in a tournament the Macgregor "SPUR" putter. Would like to find a putter model that he actually played during this time if possible. The one he is using in the last picture looks very similar to the one I have, but the ball is in the way of the toe.

Have you got Andrisani's book on Hogan's putting? I haven't, but it sounds like it should be required reading for your quest.

I agree, I was looking at some excerpts of it on Google Books, but I am planning on picking up a copy. He gets a bad rap for putting, but pre-accident Hogan was deadly with a putter. The biographies I have read about him blame most of his putting woes on vision issues stemming from the accident. Have also read there may have been some macular degeneration that was not helping him either. He compounded these issues by refusing to wear glasses in tournament play. You don't win 9 majors from being a crappy putter, but in all honesty his putting did cost him some additional major titles as he got older.

Agree with your thinking on the age. Other good options for a '50s bag would be Mac Ironmaster, Spalding Cash In or HBA, or a Reuter Bullseye.

I like the looks of the Mac Ironmaster you mentioned, looks similar to another style of putter that Hogan supposedly played in a tournament the Macgregor "SPUR" putter. Would like to find a putter model that he actually played during this time if possible. The one he is using in the last picture looks very similar to the one I have, but the ball is in the way of the toe.

I think I may have located what this putter actually is. It appears to be a MacGregor Ben Hogan Par-Maker although the stampings on the bottom of mine are different. On the one I am attaching pictures for it shows MacGregor Ben Hogan REG. 16226 Par-Maker, on mine it shows Ben Hogan first and then MacGregor. The shapes on these putter heads are basically identical. Am I correct to assume mine would also be a Par-maker?

I think I may have located what this putter actually is. It appears to be a MacGregor Ben Hogan Par-Maker although the stampings on the bottom of mine are different. On the one I am attaching pictures for it shows MacGregor Ben Hogan REG. 16226 Par-Maker, on mine it shows Ben Hogan first and then MacGregor. The shapes on these putter heads are basically identical. Am I correct to assume this is a Par-maker?

Additionally if this is indeed a Par-Maker is the following information I found at this link correct?

http://www.answers.c...d_Ben_Hogan_use

"1940s - Gerry Glynn putter; 1950 to 1953 - Macgregor Parmaker, 1954 to 1967 - center shafted putter and what was patented in 1962 by Hogan Golf Company as the "exact balance" putter. Hogan experimented with many different styles of putters, however, most of his tournament wins were made using these three putter styles."

That would date this to roughly 1950-1953. This also would mean that he used this type of putter for 6 of the 9 majors he won. This is pure speculation on my part, based upon that link that I honestly have no idea how accurate it is or where they pulled their information from.

• Like 1

I recall Hogan in his heyday playing a Cash-In, which all of these putters are patterned after.

I found an old thread on here where it was mentioned by Teevons that mentioned he had won many tournaments with a Macgregor Jerry Glynn model...

http://www.golfwrx.c...ers-hot-or-not/

This model is very similar to the one I have and I am wondering if Macgregor made a similar one that they put his signature on during this time due to his success with that model in the hopes of selling some putters... they appear very similar, but it is impossible to tell from these pictures was the actual model is... I guess in the long run it does not matter too much, I think the putter I have is definitely period correct, but always nice to have solid information.

I guess in the long run it does not matter too much, I think the putter I have is definitely period correct, but always nice to have solid information.

Agree. It really shouldn't matter too much and I believe you can be confident that it is period correct.

I hope you have great success with it.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

• 8 months later...

bought a mac spur like the one pictured above, no chrome with xxed sweet spot, no B.H. on toe,

but a great story,

got and it has the spur etc. inside the cavity,

and it has an owners shaft label from the woodland g.c. in auburndale, mass.

name is mrs. x.x. hxxxxxx

interesting,

so i call and get the head pros email, send him a pic

and he informs me that her husband was president of the club in the 40's and Ben Hogan stayed with

them several times,

that's too many coincidences to ignore,

later, paul schweitz

• 3 weeks later...

Found this one today. The holes are so strange. I have not found anything on this. Anyone seen one like this? I think someone drilled holes in it. Maybe to reduce weight.

pym-

Yes, someone drilled holes in this MacGregor Ben Hogan putter to reduce it's weight, and to improve feel and touch.

Could have been someone famous, possibly even Hogan, but without any documented history-

-something along this lines of a photo with Ben Hogan using a putter with holes like this..

Ray Floyd drilled holes in a number of his Wilson Sand Wedges. Brad Faxon did as well with his Titleist ones.

Look at all the holes in the entire line of Callaway "Mack Daddy" wedges.

Read the interview with Lee Trevino to Guy Yocum on how he feels about drilling holes in his irons....

Found this one today. The holes are so strange. I have not found anything on this. Anyone seen one like this? I think someone drilled holes in it. Maybe to reduce weight.

pym-

Yes, someone drilled holes in this MacGregor Ben Hogan putter to reduce it's weight, and to improve feel and touch.

Could have been someone famous, possibly even Hogan, but without any documented history-

-something along this lines of a photo with Ben Hogan using a putter with holes like this..

Ray Floyd drilled holes in a number of his Wilson Sand Wedges. Look at all the holes in the entire line of Callaway "Mack Daddy" wedges.

Read the interview with Lee Trevino to Guy Yocum on how he feels about drilling holes in his irons....

Thanks man! Great info.

• 9 months later...

hey there, good info, check out the green book thats the history of macgregor brochures,

look 1950-1953 for putters, glynn and ben hogan ,

virtually the same and the brochure gives credit to the glynn putter,

have three of the 1953 glynns, all have center area where the chrome is removed,

hogan's par maker putter has no chrome at all,

have seen a 1940s spur in a museum in texas and it has no chrome, the sweet spot is all XXXXed and it has B.H. engraved in the toe,

have a similar spur without the B.H. that he gave to a couple he often stayed with in pennsylvannia,

the wife put her country club sticker on it,

paul schweitz, ala shoewhites

• 3 weeks later...

> @northplatteriver said:

> birly-shirly wrote:

>

>

>

> Agree with your thinking on the age. Other good options for a '50s bag would be Mac Ironmaster, Spalding Cash In or HBA, or a Reuter Bullseye.

>

>

>

>

> I like the looks of the Mac Ironmaster you mentioned, looks similar to another style of putter that Hogan supposedly played in a tournament the Macgregor "SPUR" putter. Would like to find a putter model that he actually played during this time if possible. The one he is using in the last picture looks very similar to the one I have, but the ball is in the way of the toe.

The Spur is very similar to the Hogan pictured above. But the

Spur has a much longer hosel than the Hogan, which was featured in the MacGregor retail catalog. In a couple of the early catalogs the Tourney they feature the Hogan type but it is referred to a the Gerry Glynn model. I think it is very similar to the Spalding Cash-in

Uncle Bob

• 3 months later...

It appears in 1938 Macgregor introduced the “Parmaker putter.” It was described as “a practical stroke-saving putter. Spur design with center-type shafting. Even balance for true, easy stroking. Plain satin finish face with flat head and wide flange sole. True Temper Shaft with walnut sheath. Perforated leather grip. Made only in men’s right hand.”

Then in 1939 Macgregor introduced the “Jim Foulis” putter. It was described as “the distribution of weight is the secret of fine putting qualities. In the Jim Foulis spur-type putter the heavy, wide sole tends to force the stroke through and overcoming jabbing. The center shafting provides counter-balanced weight of heel and toe. Small diameter pencil shaft puts the “feel in the fingers” for greater control. Has plain satin finish face. Perforated leather grip. Made in men’s right hand only.” It apparently replaced the “Parmaker” of the previous year.

After the war in 1949 Macgregor introduced in their professional line the “Jerry Glynn.” (Not Gerry Glynn) It was described as “a new putter introduced in the Macgregor line, especially to meet the demand created by Ben Hogan’s success with this club. Center shafted as illustrated with extremely short hosel. Pencil shaft. May be used equally by right or left hand players.

I think the putter Mr. Hogan is using in the book cover on putting is a Macgregor putter known as “The Krook #2” introduced in 1953.

It appears in 1938 Macgregor introduced the “Parmaker putter.” It was described as “a practical stroke-saving putter. Spur design with center-type shafting. Even balance for true, easy stroking. Plain satin finish face with flat head and wide flange sole. True Temper Shaft with walnut sheath. Perforated leather grip. Made only in men’s right hand.”

Then in 1939 Macgregor introduced the “Jim Foulis” putter. It was described as “the distribution of weight is the secret of fine putting qualities. In the Jim Foulis spur-type putter the heavy, wide sole tends to force the stroke through and overcoming jabbing. The center shafting provides counter-balanced weight of heel and toe. Small diameter pencil shaft puts the “feel in the fingers” for greater control. Has plain satin finish face. Perforated leather grip. Made in men’s right hand only.” It apparently replaced the “Parmaker” of the previous year.

After the war in 1949 Macgregor introduced in their professional line the “Jerry Glynn.” (Not Gerry Glynn) It was described as “a new putter introduced in the Macgregor line, especially to meet the demand created by Ben Hogan’s success with this club. Center shafted as illustrated with extremely short hosel. Pencil shaft. May be used equally by right or left hand players.

I think the putter Mr. Hogan is using in the book cover on putting is a Macgregor putter known as “The Krook #2” introduced in 1953.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi.  Did you ever sort out your question?  I know this stream is a couple years old.  I ask as I have 4 Ben Hogan putters....all Brass.  You mentioned yours being 'bronze'.  I thought same until I polished one. Also, the marks/dents are because brass is a softer metal.  Of the 4 I have, one is a 'MacGregor Ben Hogan Par Maker' - a putter head style similar to the Spalding 'Cash-In'; I did find a silver metallic MacGregor BH "Par Maker" - metallic makes me think later issue than the brass...but maybe not. I saw MemorialAmateur speak of the Par Maker being 1938...but he described "satin finish" which makes me think of the metallic one I note above.  I hope he sees this and can respond. I also have two  Ben Hogan "His Own" brass putters; the "His Own" name makes me think from 1953 or later when he started his company; head shape is similar to 'Bulls-Eye' putters, but with a little more rounded on the sole.  Last is a straight-up 'Ben Hogan' similar in shape to the 'His Own' putters - probably also post-1953.  I am not sure how to get a pic up on these.  If you email me direct, happy to exchange pics - [email protected]

Thanks Barrett

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

hi, the pic shows a short hosel putter, not a spur, probably a Jerry Glynn he used, then Mcgregor used the same putter and put ben hogan on it, with or without hogan, chromed, partially chromed or all brass.

search ebay, "completed items" for one of those listed in the last 6 months,

my favorite is the 1930s spur by mcgregor, have found two, full length metal head, no plastic hosel, with

no stamping on sole, only in the concave back.

paul schweitz

• 4 months later...
On 7/1/2022 at 2:05 PM, shoe whites said:

spoke too quick the "with or without Mcgregor"

the brass, no chrome is outstanding.

find a hogan played 30s spur at that Hogan museum near fort worth,

has xxxxs in the sweetspot and BH on the face near the toe.

Maybe this one.  Hogan playing a Spur in 1941 in Oakland.

gettyimages-1172280175-2048x2048.jpg