What handicap do you consider to be a "good" golfer

00bolt

A traveling scratch is a good golfer. Anyone that says a good or great golfer is a single digit needs to get their head examined.

It's all a matter of opinion. There is no definitive number. The golf gods didn't decree from on high that "in order to be considered a good golfer, you must be a scratch!"

Chill a little dude. To a guy struggling to break 100, and nine handicapper looks like a world beater. It's all relative.

Ever since I was a kid it was considered that scratch was good, anything above that isn't good. It is relative that a 30 thinks a nine is good. Doesn't mean the nine is actually a good golfer.

True. Just like the nine thinks the scratch is good. Doesn't mean it's true. Everyone thinks differently about it. But it doesn't mean they need to get their "head examined".

LOL, but isn't that your opinion?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A traveling scratch is a good golfer. Anyone that says a good or great golfer is a single digit needs to get their head examined.

It's all a matter of opinion. There is no definitive number. The golf gods didn't decree from on high that "in order to be considered a good golfer, you must be a scratch!"

Chill a little dude. To a guy struggling to break 100, and nine handicapper looks like a world beater. It's all relative.

Ever since I was a kid it was considered that scratch was good, anything above that isn't good. It is relative that a 30 thinks a nine is good. Doesn't mean the nine is actually a good golfer.

True. Just like the nine thinks the scratch is good. Doesn't mean it's true. Everyone thinks differently about it. But it doesn't mean they need to get their "head examined".

LOL, but isn't that your opinion?

Well played Loki!

A good golfer in my eyes is a man or woman who has the ability to hit all of the shots and does so more often than not. Which means most of their drives are solid and in play, same goes for their irons. Can take a little off a pitching wedge and flight it in from 100 yards. Can flop it over a bunker. Can put it on the green out of the bunker on their first attempt. Decent lag putter. Feels confident that they will break 90 no matter where they play. Probably equates to a 12 index or better.

A very good golfer to me is someone who basically always breaks 80. Guys who, even when they aren't hitting it great, find ways to scratch out pars.

Excellent golfers seemingly have complete control of the ball. They make everything look easy, especially in non-competitive rounds. Ball striking is almost robotic in its consistency. These guys are just plain fun to watch and make mid-single digits like myself realize just how far away we are from being great players.

Idk..but I'm a 7 and I feel like a total crap golfer at times . It's all relative I guess. My last 36 holes ...in 9 hole increments I've shot 45/36/43/36 on a 6,800 yd course . My swing comes and goes WAY too much! When my swing is grooved I honestly feel I can play at or close to a 2 -3 cap. When it isn't I feel like a 12 .

Pepper, is that you?

Can't be... no cigar smoke. :(

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

What about leaving the score out for a moment?

Is a good golfer someone who will play with anybody, greatly enjoys being out on course, has respect for the game and course, contributes to the well-being of his home club (if applicable), and generally implants a desire in others to have fun and enjoy the company and day?

Just sayin'. And most days I shoot 78-82, so I am considered"good" by most measures here.

I have played with people who shoot under 80 regularly that are really a PIA to play with, bitching about every shot, not seeming to enjoy themselves and making others miserable, not repairing greens, leaving divots un-filled, etc, etc. Not good golfers IMO.

THIS....

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

I don't think I'm a good golfer despite my cap. I still get nervous teeing off in front of people and constantly worry about shanking every iron I hit in a round. If I had to base my cap off of competitive rounds under stress I'd probably be a 10. I just don't play well under pressure.

So I'd say someone better than me is what I'd call "good".

In search of solid contact...

I don't think I'm a good golfer despite my cap. I still get nervous teeing off in front of people and constantly worry about shanking every iron I hit in a round. If I had to base my cap off of competitive rounds under stress I'd probably be a 10. I just don't play well under pressure.

So I'd say someone better than me is what I'd call "good".

Very similar here Lefty. About the same cap. While I know for a fact that I am better than average at that number, I normally think I suck. Sometimes I think we all think that way.

I think any single digit golfer can have a good time with plenty of chances on a golf course. When it gets to the 1-5 range, the expectation is always to shoot in the 70's, I know there are blips in there but they are just expectations. My buddy and I are both low single digits and whenever we play we think we are pretty good. I have another buddy who is a plus handicap and thats what makes me content with my game but also realistic to what a pro players game is.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I think it's an inherent quality of the game to think wherever you are is not "good" enough. I think even tour pros struggle with this, not feeling they are 'good' enough. It's the mind fack of the game and life I suppose. Maybe a good golfer is a golfer who is good enough for themselves.

And yes I realize that is way too deep for the OP's question lol

I'm not a fan of the handicap system. Too many ESC and X scores on the card.

For amateurs, I'd say anybody who breaks 90 is a good golfer. 80 a very good golfer. And 75 an excellent golfer.

I work at a CC with 900 members. Avg. mens hdcp is around 18.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

Think it depends on the circle you play with. Most of the people I play with regularly consider me a really good golfer. When I play with guys I know to be good golfers I’m lucky to keep up.

For the most part if you can break 80 most times you tee it up I would say you are better than most. I still get reminded every once in awhile by guys that have know me a long time that years ago I wanted to just be able to play bogey golf. Guess I’m glad I have improved.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

• 3 weeks later...

I have to disagree with some of my fellow 'WRXers that claim a "good golfer" is someone who's a "scratch" or a 1 or 2! ...HUH?

This is a hard game people! Give the game and it's many challenges a little credit....I mean, if it was that easy, like in life...we'd all be thin, rich, beautiful, and a +1 'cap. But life and ESPECIALLY golf, are not that easy! Yup, there are a bunch of people who are highly skilled players, no doubt. I've played with them and against them, and used to be one too...lol. We love it, we love the challenges and all quirks of the game. And the toys! ...OH YA....The TOYS...lolol. But the reality is that it's just a game, and a leisure-time activity. Most people have somewhere around average levels of athletic skill and eye/hand coordination, they work a lot, and there's family time too! They are good players, but playing to a something like 0.4 index is just not realistic.

I caddied at a private club as a kid, longer ago than I want to believe...ugh. The very few guys who were low singles to a rare plus anything were considered Gods! I'd shag and/or caddy for some of them and damn, damn, damn, they were that good!!! ....The other guys who were in the single digits were considered very good players, and there weren't that many. I'd say anybody say 15-17 and under was a competent to good player. Today, perhaps because of technology, the ball, and the availability of information online to help in the quest to get better, maybe those numbers can trend down a couple of shots, but the Bell curve exists here too. If you are a single digit, you are a very good golfer. If you are in the 10-15 range, still pretty good too! ....And if you are a 2 or 1 or under....enjoy the hell out of it, that's beyond just good!

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.0* (set to 11*)  PX EvenFlow 5.5 

Callaway Epic Flash 13.5* 3 wood   PX EvenFlow 5.5

Callaway Epic Flash 18* 5 wood   PX EvenFlow 5.5

Callaway Big Bertha $ Hybrid 19*   Recoil F3

TaylorMade M2 Irons (2016)  5-AW  FST Reax 88 Stiff

Titleist Vokey 54/12F  60/10S

Odyssey Toe-Up #9  34"  

Titleist Pro V1x

I'd say a mid single is a pretty good consistent golfer. That being said I've seen guys that play very well, just have a few hiccups throughout round and reflects on handicap, but that's not an indicator to tell how well they actually play. Meaning they are pulling off nice shots, either they have a slight flaw in a part of their game, or play tough a tough course most of time, which doesn't help index. I guess what I'm saying I've seen good players, that I couldn't base their abilities on course off seeing their handicap as that tells a different story.

This is along the lines of what I'm thinking.

Even pros hit bad shots. The good golfers know how to recover and can pull off the shot. I'd say it doesn't depend on handicap, but rather how they get around the course. The guy determined to hit his 3 wood out of knee high rough is not a good golfer. The guy trying to pull off of a shot that is well outside his ability, is not a good golfer. The guy that knows how to minimize the damage of a bad shot and keep his round together is a good golfer.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I'd say a mid single is a pretty good consistent golfer. That being said I've seen guys that play very well, just have a few hiccups throughout round and reflects on handicap, but that's not an indicator to tell how well they actually play. Meaning they are pulling off nice shots, either they have a slight flaw in a part of their game, or play tough a tough course most of time, which doesn't help index. I guess what I'm saying I've seen good players, that I couldn't base their abilities on course off seeing their handicap as that tells a different story.

This is along the lines of what I'm thinking.

Even pros hit bad shots. The good golfers know how to recover and can pull off the shot. I'd say it doesn't depend on handicap, but rather how they get around the course. The guy determined to hit his 3 wood out of knee high rough is not a good golfer. The guy trying to pull off of a shot that is well outside his ability, is not a good golfer. The guy that knows how to minimize the damage of a bad shot and keep his round together is a good golfer.

Last sentence is spot on.When I get into trouble at any point on a hole and manage to minimize the damage there is a certain satisfaction I get from it.It almost feels like a par.