Tony Finau

Jwin323

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a fan of Finau too but agree he should be winning more.

There are a few guys such as Lovemark, Finau, HV3 who have all the tools to win on tour but for whatever reason haven't put it all together yet. (Finau did win an alternate field event in Puerto Rico). It took Fowler a few years to put it together too in terms of being in contention on a weekly basis which tells you how much competition/depth is out there on tour now. It also took guys like Henley and Chappell years to get their first victory.

I agree that Finau could have a monster year in 2018 and fully expect him to win at least once. When he gets that big win under his belt he could start to rack them up.

I met Tony Finau on his rookie year at the Sony Open in Hawaii, very nice indeed, very polite and signed autographs for everyone, skills off the charts...

Ping G400 LS Tec 8.5*, Rogue Silver 125 MSI, Tour S, 44.25"
Ping G410 14.5*, Stock Alta S Flex, 43"
Callaway Apex Hybrid 18*, GD Tour AD-DI 85S
Callaway Apex X Muscleback 4-P, DG Tour Issue shafts
Callaway X Forged 52, 56, 60-DG Tour Issue shafts
Odyssey #7 stroke lab, 34" oversize grip
Bridgestone Tour XS (Tiger Edition) and new Pro V1

Was he on one of the Big Break shows?

Yeah, him and his "Irish twin" Gipper were on the show together. Not quite sure on the year, but something like 2009 or 2010. Tony finished 2nd that season IIRC.

I'm a Utah golfer like Tony, and have followed his career closely for the past 6 years or so. He is legitimately one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Great to see a fellow Utahn doing so well on the big stage. I'm really hoping for a 2nd PGA Tour win for him this year.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

Great guy, good ball striker and long, still learning how to win. Not sure he makes enough putts to be a big time winner. Just not naturally talented with the flat stick.

[size=3]2021 WITB[/size]
[size=3]Driver: Callaway Mavrik Sub-Zero 10.5* - Aldila Rogue White 75x[/size]
[size=3]3 Wood: Callaway Epic 15* - Aldila Rogue Max 85x[/size]
[size=3]2-PW: Callaway X-Prototype MBs - Project X 6.5 flighted[/size]
[size=3]52* Wedge: Callaway MD4 Raw S Grind[/size]
[size=3]58* Wedge: Callaway MD4 Raw S Grind[/size]
[size=3]Putter: Odyssey EXO Mini 7[/size]

Talked to him twice at tournaments and the guy could not have been nicer. Finau is absolutely breathtaking to watch in person, especially with how short his backswing is and the velocity at which the ball comes off his clubface

I love his compact back swing now. They were saying his current teacher got him even more compact.

He proves that you don't have to take that club back very far in order to generate speed

Prediction: He will log a win this season. Perhaps even a major.

He has the talent. He has the attitude. He has the game.

And frankly I will enjoy watching it unfold!

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Is his wife pretty tall? She looked liked it compared to him...with his athletic family, you have to think their kids will be ballers at whatever they do!!

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

I just want him to stop shopping in the boys pants section or fire his tailor. Those things are 4 inches too short at least

That's one of the styles that I will never understand :huh:

I just want him to stop shopping in the boys pants section or fire his tailor. Those things are 4 inches too short at least

I don’t think it’s a style thing so much as he has really long legs (it’s not just being tall, he’s got long legs for his height too). You see this a lot with guys that are both tall and have long legs for their height. They just get used to short pants. Even if he can afford to get tailor, he’s prob just gotten used to it from a lifetime of too short pants. Kuchar has that syndrome too.

I don't think it's a style thing so much as he has really long legs (it's not just being tall, he's got long legs for his height too). You see this a lot with guys that are both tall and have long legs for their height. They just get used to short pants. Even if he can afford to get tailor, he's prob just gotten used to it from a lifetime of too short pants. Kuchar has that syndrome too.

No, there's video of him from a couple years ago and his pants were longer. The tight pants...and some that are also short, is a style choice

I saw him in person at quail hollow and he looks like the kind of man that could go pro in whatever sport he wanted. If I didn't know who he was I would have believed he was a hornet or panther without hesitation.

Is his wife pretty tall? She looked liked it compared to him...with his athletic family, you have to think their kids will be ballers at whatever they do!!

I saw him in person at quail hollow and he looks like the kind of man that could go pro in whatever sport he wanted. If I didn't know who he was I would have believed he was a hornet or panther without hesitation.

The question is...was he built like a linebacker?

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

I'm not sure if Finau has signed with an equipment manufacturer yet. I would think this is a guy Callaway would want to have given his distance.

Driver - Home Callaway MAVRIK / G400 MAX
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Epic Forged 5-SW
Wedge - Callaway MD5 JAWS X Grind 60* 
Putter - Odyssey Triple Track 7
Ball - TM TP5X, TM Tour Response

I'm not sure if Finau has signed with an equipment manufacturer yet. I would think this is a guy Callaway would want to have given his distance.

He used to be with Callaway, he switched to Nike for a season and then they stopped making hardware.

I'm aware, his current bag has a number of Ping clubs in it, so it should be interesting to see who he goes with.

Driver - Home Callaway MAVRIK / G400 MAX
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-SW   Away - Callaway Epic Forged 5-SW
Wedge - Callaway MD5 JAWS X Grind 60* 
Putter - Odyssey Triple Track 7
Ball - TM TP5X, TM Tour Response