Why do so many people have "back up" clubs??

indianalawnguy

Perfect example(s)......my father-in-law just got back from a golf trip in Florida. They forgot to put his clubs (only set he has) on the plane. He had his club tournament 4 days later and had to borrow someone else's clubs because his were not back in time. I've also had 3 friends get their clubs stolen.

I personally don't have an extra set of irons currently, but do have an extra driver that was given to me. It's come in handy a few times when my Epic SZ cracked twice! When I'm in the market for new irons I'll prob keep my Z565's because they were fit for me and I hit them great. I'm not going to get a good return on them so why not keep as a backup for peace of mind?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to leave a set in club storage and have a set in the basement. First world problem not to want to drive 5 minutes to the club to get my sticks. Could be after hours I guess. They're easy to buy and hard to sell. But, I lost the head of a hybrid warming up for a big tournament and swore I'd have a back up from then on out.

Losing the head of the hybrid was a sign. I hope you took heed and ditched getting a back up.

I have a second set, but I don't think I'd call them "back-up" clubs. They stay at the beach house for when I play while there (which is every time I go, 8-10 times a year). I decided to do it out of convenience - to be able to not have to pack an entire golf bag every time we went to the beach. And because God knows, with a middle school son, teenage daughter and wife, the space to pack extra items I want to take in the van is limited! I got clubs that were similar, like forged cavity back irons and wedges with similar grinds. But I did have a threshold of money I wanted to stay under to make it worth it in my mind for the limited number of times I would be playing with them. Got some deals on ebay and grabbed the irons in the final weeks of Golfsmith closing. Bottom line is convenience.

/ What's in my bag is more than meets the eye /

Not sure how you could have played golf for a living and not had a second set of clubs but stranger things I guess...

I've always had at least one set of backups. They're always an identical set so they are still the ones I play and practice with. Gear wears out, gets broken, gets lost, needs repairs and gets stolen. It would be like making a living with your car and driving around without a spare tire. To each his own. :-)

I have plenty of clubs. Iron sets, drivers, putters, wedges etc. I could prob throw sets together in 15 minutes. Ive given away more clubs than ive kept. I'm talking about going out and buying a club strictly as a back up club!

I should have made that clear in my first post.

Good friend and client of mine is Looooaaaaddddedddd. Like F you money loaded. He came back early from Ohio and we went golfing. He played like crap and was bitching about how much different his clubs were from the ones he has at home. Now I know the sticks he was using are the same set he has had down here for at least 2 years. I was kind of taken aback to realize he didn't have exact matching sets. I mean these are OTR Calla way shovels. Nothing fancy and he doesn't have two exact sets? Even an OTR Odyssey putter. I don't get it.. why bother?

Funny, an instructor friend of mine told me a story the other day...

He's teaching a lesson, student asks to hit his club. Decides he likes it so much he would like a quote for a set. Sends over a quote... Sure, I'll take 'em. Ship me 8 sets, I like to leave a bag at each club I have a membership.

Def not an exaggeration, and happens for sure. I know someone that did this with 3 sets of 0311T irons. His reasoning, his money; why anyone else cares I'll never know?

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

can't say I buy new clubs for backups but I do have an extra bag thrown together with decent clubs I found super cheap. My buddy plays them when he's around, hasn't been able to afford a new bag for himself.

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

For the same reason they have insurance!... :tongue:

:golfer:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

'Still evaluating which of these sets will be my gamer.......funny thing....I am on my fifth year in this evaluating process....none of these sets distinguished themselves yet.......might have to see if that new AP3 will do the trick....

Till then, will hold onto selling any of them.....,'

Perhaps this is the reason why ?

[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]driver - Titleist 915 D3 10.5[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]fairway - Ping I25 18 degree 5 wood
hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19 & 23
Irons - Mizuno MP68 3-PW
wedges Mizuno MP-T5 50-58
putter - Ping Sigma G Doon[/font][/size]

Not sure how you could have played golf for a living and not had a second set of clubs but stranger things I guess...

I've always had at least one set of backups. They're always an identical set so they are still the ones I play and practice with. Gear wears out, gets broken, gets lost, needs repairs and gets stolen. It would be like making a living with your car and driving around without a spare tire. To each his own. :-)

I have plenty of clubs. Iron sets, drivers, putters, wedges etc. I could prob throw sets together in 15 minutes. Ive given away more clubs than ive kept. I'm talking about going out and buying a club strictly as a back up club!

I think people are still missing the point.

That said, there doesn’t need to be a point or a reason. Some people are paranoid somethingnis going to happen, some people want a second new one in case one breaks and it’s been discontinued (easily feesible with the product cycle these days), some people just have more money than sense. No need for someone to justify their reasoning, but I find it a bit curious as well, just don’t care enough to ask.

I think people are still missing the point.

That said, there doesn’t need to be a point or a reason. Some people are paranoid somethingnis going to happen, some people want a second new one in case one breaks and it’s been discontinued (easily feesible with the product cycle these days), some people just have more money than sense. No need for someone to justify their reasoning, but I find it a bit curious as well, just don’t care enough to ask.

Exactly. I should have been more clear in my original post. Like I said a few posts ago...i could throw together 8 different sets of clubs with what I have that I haven't sold or given away.

I'm talking an "A" set and a "B" set nearly identical all the way through the bag.

The main reason I posted is that I had a guy buy an Epic AS from me last week. I told him to take it and go hit it and give me some cash if he liked it! He went on to tell me that it would strictly be a "back up" driver!!! This guy is a chop! A total reverse- sandbagger!!!! I just wondered if this was the thing to do lol??? I don't care how other people spend their money and I totally get the collectors and dual residence folks. It just got me thinking and I couldn't help but wonder if this guy has identical clubs sitting next to gamers and if others do the same?

Sorry for the confusion...my mind goes way faster than my typing! Tim

I have 3 sets of irons....

1. Mizuno MP14 ----- This are the irons I purchased brand new around the time I started to play golf. This was a special/custom order but the original buyer never picked it up. So I paid almost nothing for the set....but the shafts were an inch too long. I played with this set for almost 11 years. I tried to sell it....for 20% less that what stores are selling them used......no hit. Trade them in ? hahahaha..... I left this irons in the Bay Area and still game this when I am there....which is quite frequently.

2. Mizuno MP68 ----- Current gamer. Purchased this used.....love these irons.

3. Hogan Ft. Worth ---- I fell in love with these irons, but did not have the funds to pay for the brand new store price. Then a few months ago, went into one of the 'big' internet golf sites....paid way way less than what Ben Hogan is currently asking for them on their internet price.

Why have a backup ? None of these are backups.....I still play all of these depending on the course and wind conditions or even my mood. MP68 with the DG S300....great for windy conditions as the ball flight is lower. Hogans, with the KBS Tour-V tend to go higher......

But then again.... I am not asking others to justify why I need to keep them other than..... I like all these clubs equally and still play them.....not collecting dust.

[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]driver - Titleist 915 D3 10.5[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=comic sans ms,cursive]fairway - Ping I25 18 degree 5 wood
hybrid - Ben Hogan VKTR 19 & 23
Irons - Mizuno MP68 3-PW
wedges Mizuno MP-T5 50-58
putter - Ping Sigma G Doon[/font][/size]

I used to have a backup of everything but my iron set. I started getting rid of stuff. I still have 3 putters, which are all very different, just in case I'm looking for a different feel, but I only have one of everything else. It's been kind of nice, really. If I had the money, I'd pretty much buy a new set every year and then get rid of the ones I liked less for a new set the next year. I just don't think I'd ever use multiple iron sets during the course of the year but I'm impressed that people can do that.

I have a back up set of irons (Callaway TA Prototypes), love them, but my current setup is doing amazingly well, so, the backups will continue to be that "backups!!!"

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I also must confess that I have a weakness.

Even when I play the current set of golf clubs very well, I'm still looking to add to the collection stored in the garage.

" Back Up Set" is nothing but an excuse ? Right ? For me anyway.

Thus, often times I'd go back from the current set to the back up set....... many of them could not even make the rotation in one season.

Time flies, so some of these clubs will probably ended up on the market later.

Plus, as one of my buddy said, this is not bad comparing to what else could be addicted to... LOL !

I don’t have a backup set that is the same as my gamers because I don’t see the point and I don’t play competitively or for a living.

Now I do have four full sets of clubs that are all different though.

My gamers are in my sig. This is the set I travel around the country with. They are forgiving and replaceable and the ones I use the most

Old school set with MacGregor MT Pro C irons, ping anser putter, and Titleist 905r driver. These get played about once a month.

716 AP2, M1 430, Betti Studio stock. The set that would be my gamers if I didn’t travel 300 days a year. Gets played regularly

Mp 32, Epic SZ, SC Newport. This set stays in Georgia at my other home so I don’t have to pack the golf bag.