Why do so many people have "back up" clubs??

indianalawnguy

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's for fun. Golf equipment is made for fun. So if you have the extra money, why not? I'll have more clubs than I need one of these days.

Wilson Dynapwr Driver

Srixon ZX MK II 2 Hybrid

Cleveland Zipcore XL 5 Iron

Srixon ZX4 MK II Irons 6 - P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 4 - 48, 54, 60

Cleveland HB soft 8 putter 

Srixon Z Star ball

Because "back up set" sounds better than "hoarding".

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I like to leave a set in club storage and have a set in the basement. First world problem not to want to drive 5 minutes to the club to get my sticks. Could be after hours I guess. They're easy to buy and hard to sell. But, I lost the head of a hybrid warming up for a big tournament and swore I'd have a back up from then on out.

Losing the head of the hybrid was a sign. I hope you took heed and ditched getting a back up.

A sign for me to pay professionals instead of building my own clubs?

I love hybrids. I add one more every year. In 10 more years that's all I'll have. With a backup set of 13 of course.

I can always understand having "options" lying around but I've also always questioned why so many people seem to have an identical "back up bag". Unless you like to leave your bag at the bag drop while you have a few rounds with your buddies, I don't understand the need for a copy and paste set of clubs.

If you travel someplace often enough, it's more convenient and cheaper to leave a back up set at the location than lugging it to the airport and paying to check it back and forth.

I also keep multiple backups of my favorite driver because they don't make it anymore and I freaking love it. Costs generally less than 50 bucks at the 2nd hand golf shop i frequent or eBay. I keep backups of it just in case something happens to the clubhead... bad paint chip, these little elements on the bottom have fallen out, cracked clubface, etc. I just like knowing I have an exact replacement if something were to happen

I totally see the logic in this but, by definition, this isn't a "back up" set. That's just a second set of clubs in a secondary location. I can totally understand this purpose but I didn't interpret this as the topic of discussion here.

Why do so many people have so called "back up" sets of clubs? Not talking about the guy that has a couple sets of irons and 6 putters. I'm talking about the people that have complete sets of the latest and greatest!! I read earlier about a guy who bought a new Ping G400 as a back up driver??? I don't get?? I don't understand the guys that have a home set and a set in florida(or the lakes) either??? I understand it's mostly out of convenience, but how do you expect to play your best golf with a back up set instead of your daily gamers that you practice and play with regularly.

I realize that the airlines lose clubs and people can slide right into their back up set, but come on? There are people on this great site that have just as much $ in a back up set as they do their 1st stringers! I've had clubs stolen and had to throw a set together before, but not a back up set.

Sorry for the rant, but even when I played golf for a living I didn't have a back up set!!!

Am I missing somthing?

OP I get where you're coming from, as I too spent many years in the golf business and saw this habit 30 years ago. Myself, I have two complete sets. I have a full set of Pings and a set of Mizuno Irons and Titleist woods. The only answer I can give is they are both different types of clubs, one geared towards performance and one forgiveness, but the Irony is that my game struggles due to changing back and forth. At some point I will decide and go back to just one set because you should always love the one you're with. Game Improves.

Personally I have a pretty much identical set for a residence in NJ and family in Florida's house, so I don't have to continually pay to check a golf bag, and I don't like selling too much of my equipment, so it accumulates,

This ^^^ for me

I have 3 full sets of clubs. One is my main set I play with all the time. Set #2 is at my brother's house so when I travel to see family I don't have to bring my sticks. Everything is there, shoes, gloves, balls, tees etc. Everything except a rangefinder. That I have just one of, and I can bring that in my luggage.

Set #3 is at my company HQ which is in a different state. Same thing as backup set #2. Clubs, shoes, gloves, balls etc. etc.

However, nothing in those bags are the latest and greatest. Set #3 is based around my 99 Hogan Apexes, which are pretty well worn but they work just fine. They were my gamer set from 99-03. They aren't worth anything (maybe $75 on ebay) so it made better sense to keep them as a spare set. Same with bag #2. Those are TItleist 681s that I used from 03-08. Also pretty worn, but still plenty playable.

The wedges are either Vokeys or TM Y-cutters that were gamers at one point until I replaced them.

Basically everything in backup bag #2 and #3 are clubs that were my gamers at one point in time. So I didn't build a backup bag for the sake of having one, I just "trickled down" equipment into a backup bag when I bought something newer.

What is nice is that when I play with either backup set, it is like golfing with an old friend. Lots of good memories with both sets and I am comfortable playing with all of the clubs in both bags. The only downside is obviously less spin on the scoring irons so I have to take that into account on shots <130 yards, but other than that, they are just fine.

So that is how I have 2 backup sets...

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

I have a back up set of old clubs that used to be my gamers for basically an emergency situation, but more so for out of town friends that come in for business and we can play a round of golf and they can use my old set. Does my old set fit them perfectly? Absolutely not. But it allows us to get away from the spouses for several hours without just going straight to a bar. I try to not keep any other equipment other than a full bag back up. I have half a dozen or so putters I hold on to because when my current putter starts to give me fits, I bring all the old ones out again and seem to find one that I am stroking well again.

• 1 year later...

If you really like golf clubs and you can afford it, you will inevitably find a set you want, buy it, even though you don't need it, and call it your backup set.

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"

I just f****** love golf clubs. No excuses, I just love them. Today I bought a set of John Letters MM prototypes with the black finish just because I want to look at them every day B)

Me too. Cobra Pro Forged in black are my kyrptonite. I’ve bought two sets, didn’t like the shafts and sold them....now I have another set coming, with the same shafts

It's a sickness...

I have 4 drivers, RBZ Stage2,Biocell,FlyZ , F7, and probably going to buy a F9 before the season starts...sometimes if I'm in a driver slump I like to switch just to look at something different...

Fairway woods to many.. same with hybrids and wedges... just 2 putters...

Irons BH Apex Edge, biocell, XRos, and the Maltbys I'm currently playing.

I always have in the back of my head what if my driver broke, need to have a backup till my gamer is repaired, replaced... I'll switch up fairway woods and hybrids depending on the course...

I have a backup set, based upon a set of TaylorMade SLDR irons I got to test a few years back: 4i - AW, joined by a Tour Preferred SW and LW I got for a song. Also a Burner driver and a RBZ-Stage 2 3HL - both $60 specials, plus two $20 early Rescues from Play It Again Sports. Finishing it is a vintage TM TPA VIII putter my brother found at a garage sale.

All these go into a budget blue TM stand bag, capped off with blue-and-white SLDR/Jetspeed headcovers gotten from trades or used bin.

I may get the SLDR iron shafts lengthened a half-inch. Until then, it's a good bag for visiting friends.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |