Why do so many people have "back up" clubs??

indianalawnguy

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do so many people have so called "back up" sets of clubs? Not talking about the guy that has a couple sets of irons and 6 putters. I'm talking about the people that have complete sets of the latest and greatest!! I read earlier about a guy who bought a new Ping G400 as a back up driver??? I don't get?? I don't understand the guys that have a home set and a set in florida(or the lakes) either??? I understand it's mostly out of convenience, but how do you expect to play your best golf with a back up set instead of your daily gamers that you practice and play with regularly.

I realize that the airlines lose clubs and people can slide right into their back up set, but come on? There are people on this great site that have just as much $ in a back up set as they do their 1st stringers! I've had clubs stolen and had to throw a set together before, but not a back up set.

Sorry for the rant, but even when I played golf for a living I didn't have a back up set!!!

Am I missing somthing?

Cheaper than a back up wife? LOL-- I just like a change. I have changed from one day of a tournament to the next.. and done well. To each his own.

I keep a set for anyone that visits...

And occasionally as a penalty box for clubs that are misbehaving

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

My backups are just old clubs I haven't traded in. I use them on vacation since I don't trust baggage handlers with the good stuff.

I have one extra set basically that I can make. Though the irons are 1986 Eye2, which still work however

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I just f****** love golf clubs. No excuses, I just love them. Today I bought a set of John Letters MM prototypes with the black finish just because I want to look at them every day B)

. Now that was Simple and to the point. Well said. Was never a fan of bumper sticker's but put me down for a few when u get em ready. :)

I have a set for practice and a set for actual rounds.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I think we are missing the original point,

Most of these responses are about extra or older clubs from your true gamer bags. We all have extra clubs. I have 600. I think the op was referring to buying a duplicate of what you like now.

Most of the guys on here are buying a replacement club before they get the new club delivered to their house. I’m sure you love x Wedge but I bet if your bag was stolen Most on here would rather have a different new one than a dupe of what they had. Hoes buy different not duplicates

So I have my main clubs and a back up set cuz they’re like 20 years old and I’m afraid 1 day they’ll be extinct. Then I have my old gamers which I love so I bought a back up set for my parents place so I had clubs there when I visit. Cut to Christmas last week and I’m at my parents playing my old gamer backups and I didn’t feel comfortable at all swinging them even though I grew up with them. They just felt so much different than my current gamers. So now I’m considering buying a 3rd backup for my parents.

Sh1t this is an expensive hobby. Good thing I only typically buy older used irons or I’d be broke

I'm not one for back up clubs, I've kept a few I have acquired and played well with over the last four or five years. The SLDR driver and Aeroburner 3 wood are in my clubhouse locker for example.

I don't consider them back ups as I only randomly throw them into action 3 or 4 times a year...and that's only for certain courses where I've either played well with them or just fancy seeing if the old magic I'd still there.

I did get an ST180 as a back up because it was really long and straight on the range and I was seduced by the length and thought I'd benefit from the additional yardage on the course. Half a dozen rounds in and I didn't see the same results on course so I binned it.

I have two sets, but my backup set is my previous "gamer" set (910s and 714s).

If I had enough income and I traveled around a lot playing golf...I could see having two identical sets.One for travel, one for home would make sense.

My backup/previous set is the set I take to the range during bad weather or use when course conditions suck. Beside my previous set, I have about 15-20 older clubs I just haven't parted with yet, but don't play anymore.

Personally, I'm fine with people owning however many clubsets they like... it's their money and they are free to spend it how they see fit.

Coz if you don’t have a “back-up” set, you can’t call your main clubs “gamers”.

:russian_roulette:

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

I have never had a back up set per se. For a few years I only had one driver. I had played an R9 for several years before I bought a used 910 D2 when the 913's came out. I gave away the R9 to a friend who was down on his luck. I now have the 910, 913 and a Ping G400 Max. As far as irons go, I have my father's Eye 2's that my wife's uncle will use when he is town. I now play Ping i e1's but when I went through a rough time of ball striking I bought a used set of G30's for forgiveness. Never liked the G30's so I got rid of them and decided to concentrate on the i e1's which has worked out better. I don't see myself owning 2 sets of identical irons or 2 identical drivers. If I am buying something new, it is going to be different but to each is own.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

Why do so many people have so called "back up" sets of clubs? Not talking about the guy that has a couple sets of irons and 6 putters. I'm talking about the people that have complete sets of the latest and greatest!! I read earlier about a guy who bought a new Ping G400 as a back up driver??? I don't get?? I don't understand the guys that have a home set and a set in florida(or the lakes) either??? I understand it's mostly out of convenience, but how do you expect to play your best golf with a back up set instead of your daily gamers that you practice and play with regularly.

I realize that the airlines lose clubs and people can slide right into their back up set, but come on? There are people on this great site that have just as much $ in a back up set as they do their 1st stringers! I've had clubs stolen and had to throw a set together before, but not a back up set.

Sorry for the rant, but even when I played golf for a living I didn't have a back up set!!!

Am I missing somthing?

Because variety is one of the spices of life. If you can play well, you can hit any club, just like guitar.

It can get complicated for well heeled guys from up North who buy condos in Florida resort towns for each of their girlfriends. They need to keep a set of clubs at each location so the wives and girlfriends don't get too suspicious seeing golf bags getting moved around too much.

Much simpler to divorce if you're that creeped out.

I'm actually a little surprised how much disdain exists for backup sets. If your business relies on data, that data is backed up. As a professional musician, I have backups for my backups, every instrument, every accessory. How you do one thing is how you do everything. I'm further a little surprised every time a touring pro is caught without clubs due to airline foulup. With that kind of money on the line, why not send a backup set by alternate courier?

If you play enough of golf, there is a non-zero probability that something bad will happen to your clubs. Airline loses. Club storage is careless. Car is broken into. If you take golf seriously, this will be a big deal. Many have been fitted for more or less non-standard clubs. I play +1", B weight heads, not finding those at Golf Galaxy. If you can afford it, why not have duplicates at the ready?

Further, assembling a backup set at your leisure will be far cheaper than scrambling once something bad has happened. In the past, my backup set was just my old set. When I was fitted for a set of Mizuno MMCs and pretty well gouged for their "custom" construction, it would have been ludicrous to think of spending twice that for a backup, but if I was rich it might seem natural. What happened was that a set of barely used MMCs with my shafts and my specs came up on ebay. It sat on my watch list for three months until I finally sent the seller an offer and they were mine for 25% of what I spent on the new set, and they work just as well. Ok, everything else (driver, woods, wedges) would be "old," but I now have a real backup set.

I do not accumulate “sets” of clubs any longer but I will pickup very specific additions when nature calls. I’m much more selective these days and I work quickly to sell what doesn’t make the cut. I’d be the first to admit it’s just fun to tinker but not at the expense of my game. I want my club decisions to complement what I’m trying to accomplish.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I’ve got a problem.

Coming clean in 2019.

Happy to get that out into the open.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon