Cabot Cliff/Links Question

Ralphyboy84

Hi guys been hearing rave reviews about the Cabot resort recently. I’m really tempted to come over from Scotland to play it. What puts me off tho is it is quite a long way to go just for 2 courses. Is there any other courses in the area worth playing? Or are the 2 courses there worth the trip alone? What would you guys recommend for a 2/3/4 day visit itinerary?

Thanks!

I have been to Cabot twice, first time we played the Links three times, the Cliffs was not open yet. Last year we played the Cliffs three times and the Links once. The Links is a very good course, but the Cliffs is amazing. Both times we played other courses, along the way to Cabot. Look into Highlands and Bell Bay, also depending on which airport you fly into, there are several nice courses near Halifax and Prince Edward Island is a driveable distance also

If you decide to play 36 a day, a 3-4 day trip is more than adequate. There are no carts, unless you have a medical condition, and the Cliffs is tougher to walk than the Links. We played both courses one day, had a few beers on the patio after and ate dinner. Woke up and played the Cliffs at 7am on the following day, and drove back to Halifax airport after. I was pretty tired after the second day.

Just back home 6 hours ago. While Cliffs is fantastic, I would not say it is worth its own trip. Unless you want to relax and play the same courses many times. You could add PEI like I did.

There is a lot of good at Cabot, but a lot left to improve. Greens were at best an 8. Caddies are really only there to carry bags and some don't even do that(they push the cart for you).

Bandon is head and shoulders a better trip.

22528792_10155317995776939_706497913644552608_o.jpg?oh=ad506d6fbc654ddfee13990627f611d4&oe=5A715D3C

I made my first trip up to Cabot last week. We stayed four nights (Wed-Sat) and played four rounds (2 at each course). We had an absolute blast and are already working with Cabot to set up a trip for next year. Before I go any further, I have yet to play at Bandon/Pinehurst/Sand Valley or any other major golfing resorts in North America. Yes, the greens were a little slower than most golf courses I play but I really didn't think that took away from the experience at all. The green complexes are all pretty undulating, and the Cliffs are still maturing, but they did mention they are planning to speed them up in the coming years.

Coming from Scotland you may want to wait a few years to really experience all that they have to offer. They have plans for a par 3 course near the Cliffs and have bought land about 20 minutes south for a new course. We also played Highland Links while we were up there (about 2.5 hours NW) and thought that was a fun track as well. From the people, we spoke with at Cabot the recent restoration there has done wonders.

As for the caddies, I took a caddie 2 out of the 4 rounds. Mine were 'B' caddies and just carried my bag, gave me distances with their scopes, and raked the bunkers. My father had the same 'A' caddie all four rounds and he was extremely good. Throughout the trip, we played with guys who also had 'A' caddies and they were great too, extremely hard working. They say they get up to around 300 caddies in the summer so I am sure not all 'A' caddies are as good as the ones I witnessed but if I was you and wanted a caddie I would specifically request an 'A' caddie.

When you have saved some more, come down to Melbourne and play Royal Melbourne, Kingston Heath, Cape Wickham, Ocean Dunes, Barnbougle and Lost Farm all on the one trip. Plenty of other good ones to go with them too.

Is that an open invitation? :golfer:

I am hoping to be headed that way in August of '20, and Bridport is definitely on the draft itinerary. On two previous trips to the land down under, golf was not an option. Not next time!

• 1 month later...

That’s the plan! Is there any other courses you would recommend if we have the time?

Current itinerary is arrive in Halifax from Glasgow at 11.30am on the Tuesday. 36 @ Cabot Wed and Thurs, 18 @ Highland Links on the Fri, then fly back to Glasgow leaving at 10.30pm on the Saturday.

Any suggestions for the Tuesday afternoon/Saturday morning?

Glen Arbour isn't that great IMO. 7.5 out of 10

I'm hearing Links at Brunello is pretty good but have not played it, looks solid on the website. With all the exposed granite it looks like some of the Muskoka courses north of me in Toronto

At Cabot, I would do Cliffs twice, Links once .... and Highland Links which is approx 1 hr away and a famous Stanley Thompson layout. Not sure on conditions nowadays

I did Scotland myself in 2012 and Cliffs reminded me a lot of Kingsbarns. The Cliffs is just much higher above the ocean. Not sure if you are a fan of KB or not, I found some Scots loved it and some were the opposite

The Lakes Golf Course at Ben Eoin looks good as well, but again have not played it. I have golfed with the designer, Graham Cooke, and he is dead solid

Halifax is a fun city as well

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I played it a couple of years ago on the way to Cabot. I really liked the layout, but wasn't overly impress by the conditions, that's what you get with unionized government workers I guess. I read somewhere they might have contracted out the operations of the course to a private company. It's basically the local muni course, locals get a good rate, but tourist pay the high rate. We stayed at Keltic lodge, nice, but not cheap. The Cabot Trail drive from Highlands to Cabot is beautiful if the weather cooperates.

anyone been to Cabot this year and able to report back on conditions to date?

Played the Links yesterday. Sunny but cool and windy. Course is in nice condition for early in the year. Greens need to fill in more but rolled really smooth. Overall course is in excellent condition and it’s early season. I have played not cheap courses in high season that were in not as good condition.

Playing the Cliffs today buts it windy with some rain although weather is supposed to improve as the day goes on

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Does anyone have any other comments on Highland Links? Does anyone know what condition it's in this year?

A buddy of mine played it last week. Said that the layout is amazing but the conditioning is disgraceful. From a golf perspective it is a national treasure and he didn't think it was being preserved as such.

It is early in the season for Nova Scotia so take those comments with a grain of salt.

Ping G410 - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff
915F 3w
913H (19) - Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY
Titleist AP3 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 (2012)

Quick question on caddies at Cabot as well. Has anyone here had a caddy when they played it? I've heard mixed reviews on them. Are they worth taking? What sort of gratuity does a caddy there expect?

I had played the Links a couple times before so I didn't use a caddy. On Friday I played the Cliffs for the first time and used a caddy and glad I did as he gave me lots of advice on where to play some shots on certain holes that I wouldn't have. he was right. I might skip it the next time though. It was $60 fee and whatever gratuity you feel was warranted. Paid directly to the caddy, not to the club.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Quick question on caddies at Cabot as well. Has anyone here had a caddy when they played it? I've heard mixed reviews on them. Are they worth taking? What sort of gratuity does a caddy there expect?

I had played the Links a couple times before so I didn't use a caddy. On Friday I played the Cliffs for the first time and used a caddy and glad I did as he gave me lots of advice on where to play some shots on certain holes that I wouldn't have. he was right. I might skip it the next time though. It was $60 fee and whatever gratuity you feel was warranted. Paid directly to the caddy, not to the club.

Without being rude what is the expected gratuity? $20 or so? I dont want to offend anyone when I’m there! Does Canada have a similar tipping culture to the states?

I gave $40 gratuity. I honestly don't know whats expected. Tipping here is expected in most cases but not to the extent in the US. Most workers get at least the provincial minimum wage so I tip based on what I feel the quality of the service is.