2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Cabot Cliff/Links Question

Ralphyboy84

I take a caddie (I am lazy!!), most of the ones I have had are students doing this for a summer job. Some have been very good and I always ask for a Class A. They have all had rangefinders and have been knowledgeable, one even had an extremely detailed yardage book that outlined the break at each green. Heading back in July and doing Cliffs, Links, Cliffs, then Highland Links and Bell Bay and finishing off at Lakes at Ben Eoin.

I take a caddie (I am lazy!!), most of the ones I have had are students doing this for a summer job. Some have been very good and I always ask for a Class A. They have all had rangefinders and have been knowledgeable, one even had an extremely detailed yardage book that outlined the break at each green. Heading back in July and doing Cliffs, Links, Cliffs, then Highland Links and Bell Bay and finishing off at Lakes at Ben Eoin.

When in July are you going? Im at Cabot the 11th and 12th. Hoping to play highland links the 13th then unsure where to play the 14th

Are you staying at the resort?? Sorry if I missed that comment earlier. I would recommend visiting the Red Shoe Pub in Mabou, just down the road from the resort (about a 15 minute drive). It is owned and operated by the Rankins if you have ever heard of them. Real east coast music anda fun place to experience some of the local atmosphere. Get there early though, tables are full by 5 each day. There is also a whiskey distillery that is worth a visit. Food at Cabot is very good, the Panorama Restaurant is excellent and would be worth a try during one of your nights.

Are you staying at the resort?? Sorry if I missed that comment earlier. I would recommend visiting the Red Shoe Pub in Mabou, just down the road from the resort (about a 15 minute drive). It is owned and operated by the Rankins if you have ever heard of them. Real east coast music anda fun place to experience some of the local atmosphere. Get there early though, tables are full by 5 each day. There is also a whiskey distillery that is worth a visit. Food at Cabot is very good, the Panorama Restaurant is excellent and would be worth a try during one of your nights.

m

yes, staying at the resort. And will likely try to get to the red shoe - one of my buddies grew up playing guitar with Jimmy Rankin - good to know to be there by 5 - we tee off @ 10 so should be done mid aft so that gives us time. My neighbour is also from the area and her nephew will be caddying for us on Saturday. I'm not a big scotch guy so not sure if we'll go to the distillery or not - we might go just to check it out and maybe get a sample :-)

My plan is starting to firm up a bit more. 36 at Cabot the 11th and 12th, 18 at Links at Brunello and Glen Arbor on the 14th before flying home late Saturday night. Just need to decide now if we do Highland Links, another round at Cabot, or somewhere else on the 13th. Fox Harbr looks decent. Decisions decisions!

Sounds like a great plan. From early reports, courses are in good shape but greens slow, scenery is always fantastic. Let me know if your neighbour's nephew is a good caddy and I will ask for him when I am there in July. Very different from the courses in and around Ottawa.

I'll post a more detailed review once I get some time but in general, it was an amazing experience and I was blown away by the course, the facilities, etc. I found the greens pretty good, Links a bit slower than Cliffs actually but I rather enjoyed the Cliffs greens as they are more predictable than Links where were tough to read. Courses were in great shape overall, zero complaints about conditioning. My caddie, Nick MacNeil was fantastic. We played in 35km/h winds, and rain (the wettest I have ever been on a golf course) and his advice on what line to take, reading greens, etc. was always bang on. He's a very nice guy who has caddied there for 2 years I believe (this is his 3rd) so he knows the courses well. He was actually training another caddie as well so I had 2 caddies all by myself.

That is good to hear, I am headed down on 15th July, hope the weather warms up by then!!! Last year was hard to keep the ball on the green while putting it was so windy on our last day. Still fun and I enjoy it each time. Did you make it to the Red Shoe??

We had crazy weather. Friday +22C and sun and no wind - absolutely perfect. Sat +10C, raining and 35km/h winds. Sun +5, overcast and 50km/h winds. Yes, we made it there on Sunday for a late lunch/early dinner (arrived @ 3:30, music started at 4. Stayed until 6 and enjoyed the atmosphere and it was full by 5:30. Saturday we had dinner at the Glenora Distillery where they had live music as well. Food all all places was great, as well as at Cabot. Highly recommend the Red Shoe and the Distillery to get some local culture.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for those who have been there. Is there decent pizza available for delivery to Cabot Lodge? We are considering a Cabot Lodge Villa so we can order pizza in once or twice.

Also, is there anything to do in the area other than play golf?

There are a couple of pizza places in town but we didn't try them. In terms of things to do there is a scotch distillery 10 min down the road which we did a tour of (pretty short) and went back for dinner which was great, along with some live local music. A little further south in Mabou, there is the Red Shoe Pub which also features live local music. Get there early as it fills up fast (check the calendar to see what time they are playing). Other than that, not a ton to do as it is small town, rural Cape Breton.

You won't want to be looking at the buildings anyway, they are designed to blend into the landscape of the ocean views as you drive by on highway 19. As wrigley said, all rooms have everything you need and all face the ocean. Highly doubt you will be spending time in the rooms anyway. Or get one with a balcony overlooking the course and some nice wine or beer and watch folks approach 18 or putt out. We had a balcony room on the second floor last year and it was hoot to sit out after the round and watch the golf and the sunset, some are spectacular and I am referring to the sunset, not necessarily the golf :taunt:

Question for those who have been there. Is there decent pizza available for delivery to Cabot Lodge? We are considering a Cabot Lodge Villa so we can order pizza in once or twice.

Also, is there anything to do in the area other than play golf?

I personally thought Reel Pizza was decent (probably better than Papa johns)...not really a sit down place inside(you can, but not nice)....so grab it to go. Greco Pizza is supposed to be a little better but we did not try.

Do give consideration to trying Dancing Goat if you are headed in that direction....You should.

The Red Shoe is an absolute MUST!!! great everything.....the mussels are great. Make sure you go on a music night.

You won't want to be looking at the buildings anyway, they are designed to blend into the landscape of the ocean views as you drive by on highway 19. As wrigley said, all rooms have everything you need and all face the ocean. Highly doubt you will be spending time in the rooms anyway. Or get one with a balcony overlooking the course and some nice wine or beer and watch folks approach 18 or putt out. We had a balcony room on the second floor last year and it was hoot to sit out after the round and watch the golf and the sunset, some are spectacular and I am referring to the sunset, not necessarily the golf :taunt:

Spot on....But to the exact question, when you are there the building look perfectly in place. I actually appreciated the minimalist design and color scheme.

Best part is the golf quotes on the doors.

Got it. Yes, we will not spend much time in the room. Watching us duffers play the 18th hole while consuming a scotch and cigar can be quite entertaining.

Got it. Yes, we will not spend much time in the room. Watching us duffers play the 18th hole while consuming a scotch and cigar can be quite entertaining.

I made birdie but nobody was watching :fan_1:

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

If you get a second floor room with a view of the North Humberland Strait, you might be able to see some pilot whales. We were having a few cold ones at the bar and saw a pod of whales just off shore. Two of my buddies rented some kayaks and went out to see them, amazingly, they were still there when they kayaked out. One fell out of his kayak and pretty sure he soiled his shorts, he thought we was a goner, but the whales just ignored them. I was on the beach watching, it seemed they were only a couple of hundred yards off shore, but it took them over an hour to get back.

Has anybody stayed in a Villa?

And are the buildings really as ugly as they look in the pictures?

Didn't stay in a villa but walked close to one to find my brothers wayward ball :-) and they looked quite nice. I like the design and it fits the landscape. The rooms are large and nice and well appointed (the shoe dryer came in handy). A couple of beefs though. I am not sure why every room doesn't have a balcony. We didn't and for the first 2 days it would have been awesome to have one as it was beautiful out and the view was as good as it gets, golf course, then ocean with amazing sunsets. Another is that they only put double beds in the room and not Queen's. They rooms are quite large and could easily accommodate bigger beds.

Another is that they only put double beds in the room and not Queen's. They rooms are quite large and could easily accommodate bigger beds.

My room had a king size bed

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Another is that they only put double beds in the room and not Queen's. They rooms are quite large and could easily accommodate bigger beds.

My room had a king size bed

one or 2? sorry, I was referring to the 2 doubles I had which could and should have been 2 Queen's.

I had one. I stayed in a double room when I was there back in 2013 but don't recall the bed size.