2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Cabot Cliff/Links Question

Ralphyboy84

Just got back from 2 days at Cabot. That place is special. It is a pain in the a** to get to especially someone who usually flys American since they do not even go there. Here are some thoughts on each course;

Cliffs

- Just unreal beauty. Tough to not be a tourist and snap photos the whole time

- Only hole I had an issue with is 7 the par 5. The fairway is so hard to hit with the wind usually across and the fairway really narrows. Thought that was the only hole that was almost unfair.

- The greens probably need another year or two to be as good as the Links. The course got baked out the last day with sunshine for our whole stay.

- 15-18 are as good as it gets anywhere.

Links

- As noted, greens there were really good for links golf.

- Doesn't have the highs of the cliffs but anywhere else it would be the best around.

- The "short" par 3 is almost too short. Plays about 60 yards. They were working on a new tee box when we were there.

- Loved being able to putt all night long on their putting green.

It was the best caddy experience I have had as well, and I have had caddies at some good places. The guys were great and definitely helpful on the greens and the correct yardage with wind etc. The best money saver was bringing a flask and filling it up before each round, my caddy needed a little nip too every once in a while. Also the breakfast is meh there for $27, we went to the coalminers café down the road which is a greasy spoon that did the job just as much.

I cannot wait to go back.

Just got back from 2 days at Cabot. That place is special. It is a pain in the a** to get to especially someone who usually flys American since they do not even go there. Here are some thoughts on each course;

Cliffs

- Just unreal beauty. Tough to not be a tourist and snap photos the whole time

- Only hole I had an issue with is 7 the par 5. The fairway is so hard to hit with the wind usually across and the fairway really narrows. Thought that was the only hole that was almost unfair.

- The greens probably need another year or two to be as good as the Links. The course got baked out the last day with sunshine for our whole stay.

- 15-18 are as good as it gets anywhere.

Links

- As noted, greens there were really good for links golf.

- Doesn't have the highs of the cliffs but anywhere else it would be the best around.

- The "short" par 3 is almost too short. Plays about 60 yards. They were working on a new tee box when we were there.

- Loved being able to putt all night long on their putting green.

It was the best caddy experience I have had as well, and I have had caddies at some good places. The guys were great and definitely helpful on the greens and the correct yardage with wind etc. The best money saver was bringing a flask and filling it up before each round, my caddy needed a little nip too every once in a while. Also the breakfast is meh there for $27, we went to the coalminers café down the road which is a greasy spoon that did the job just as much.

I cannot wait to go back.

Thanks for the review. I played 7 the first day in 35 km/h (22 mph) winds (and rain) and it was tough to hit from the silver tees. Can't imagine it from further back in that wind. I struggled with 5 as well, the dogleg. Wind was brutal both days (2nd day even worse) and everything was blowing into the marsh on the left. Near impossible to hit that fairway when we played. Funny, I liked the greens at Cliffs better, they seemed less fuzzy and more true.

I just got back as well, fourth year in a row going down and agree it is a special place. When the wind blows, which is almost every day, it is tough. You must have ordered the buffet for $27, I always order off the menu and it is pretty decently priced I find. All in all, a great week, got to play Bell Bay, Lakes at Ben Eoin and Highlands. Playing Highlands is a waste of money at this point, fairways are as thick as the rough and some of the greens were in very poor condition. A shame really because the layout is special in my opinion. We were warned by the pro-shop prior to going out, they apparently had snow on 26 June !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Think we may head there in the fall. Debating Cabot or Whistling Straits

I've played neither but would choose Cabot 100% of the time over Whistling Straits. In fact, I'm trying to schedule a trip to Cabot for 2019 and I live within driving distance(8 hours) of Whistling Straits. Don't get me wrong, I'll get to Kohler but Cabot sounds otherworldly from everything I've seen and heard.

I've played neither but would choose Cabot 100% of the time over Whistling Straits. In fact, I'm trying to schedule a trip to Cabot for 2019 and I live within driving distance(8 hours) of Whistling Straits. Don't get me wrong, I'll get to Kohler but Cabot sounds otherworldly from everything I've seen and heard.

Ive played both and I would choose Cabot over WS as well. I loved my round at WS and would like to go back but I did like Cabot more.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Ive played both and I would choose Cabot over WS as well. I loved my round at WS and would like to go back but I did like Cabot more.

cool thanks will push for Cabot with the group

• 4 weeks later...

I just got back from a week at Cape Breton Island. Played Cabot Links, Cabot Cliffs and Highlands Links. Cliffs is in a class by itself. One of my favorite courses anywhere. I had a great young caddie (Nolan) at Cliffs. He gave me great lines off the tees and spot on reads on the greens except on one hole

Highlands Links is worth playing IMHO. The conditioning is not great but it is mostly cosmetic and doesn't affect playabliity. I was surprised by how hard it was to walk as it is hilly and there are a couple of VERY long walks between holes. I've only uploaded my photos of Cliffs so far, but will post pix of all three courses soon.

Here are some of the front 9 of Cliffs.

43369908785_547fcf45d0_c.jpg

Cabot Cliffs #2 from white tee 325

44227336122_57aeb1e2c9_c.jpg

Cabot Cliffs #3 from tee 330

43369903795_01d677a3cc_c.jpg

Cabot Cliffs #4 par 3 335

43369900505_550c3d8892_c.jpg

Cabot Cliffs #5 g from front tee 342

43369898705_09d6c5ddcd_c.jpg

Cabot Cliffs #6 par 3 165 yards and tough 346

43369898035_8cc6468bf9_c.jpg

Cabot Cliffs #7 from tee par 5 348

30408838768_8227b7821d_c.jpg

Cabot Cliffs #7 s par 5 approach 355

44275876001_1635ddd7ab_c.jpg

Cabot Cliffs #8 from tee par 5 358

30408834658_e9e195c154_c.jpg

Cabot Cliffs #9 par 3 129 yards 368

Nice !!! Thanks for sharing your photos with us.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

and the home stretch

44275883571_a63be2862b_c.jpg

Cabot Cliffs #16 b par 3 from tips zoomed 410

44275881651_5d56472e2e_c.jpg

Cabot Cliffs #16 view from back of green 416

44275880381_ef9a19797d_c.jpg

Cabot Cliffs #17 c from tee 420

29339640137_3a8258496b_c.jpg

Cabot Cliffs #17 pitch to green 425

44275878231_93eca12c64_c.jpg

Cabot Cliffs #18 from tee par 5 426

29339638327_4a652ff00f_c.jpg

Cabot Cliffs #18 par 5 secomd shot zoomed 429

Amazing photos. Thanks for sharing. Trying to plan for 2020 or 2021!

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

• 1 month later...

At Cabot, I would do Cliffs twice, Links once .... and Highland Links which is approx 1 hr away and a famous Stanley Thompson layout. Not sure on conditions nowadays

Google says it's more than 2 hours away.

Also, you should check current conditions before going there. It's been in bad shape.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/golfers-complain-about-highlands-links-condition-1.4750808

I played Highland Links this summer in July, it was not in very good shape at all. A shame really, very nice layout but maintenance is lacking for sure. Did not help that they had snow on 26 June. I would suggest the northern route to Highland Links from Cabot if you decide to play there. Spectacular views along the Cabot Trail and I would allow 2.5 hours for the drive but it is worth it in my opinion.

At Cabot, I would do Cliffs twice, Links once .... and Highland Links which is approx 1 hr away and a famous Stanley Thompson layout. Not sure on conditions nowadays

Google says it's more than 2 hours away.

Also, you should check current conditions before going there. It's been in bad shape.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ition-1.4750808

Figure 2.5 hours Cabot to Highland.

Highland was not in as good shape as it has been/should be. Not sure it was a tough spring and not the new folks running the place. In either case hopefully wiil be back to standard next season.

Callaway GBB 9° UST Proforce V2
TEE XCG7 15°Aerotech SS65
Adams XTD Ti 20° & 23° MRC Tensei Blue
Callaway XR Steele Head 5-A

Tryouts now open
Ping Karsten TR Pal or Yes! Tracy or Odyssey White Hot XG7 or...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
30 minutes ago, DallasDan said:

any recent updates on Cabot Cliffs/Links. 

What kind of updates?

They are booked solid for this season but the ongoing Covid travel restrictions might throw a wrench in any plans early in the season.

I was there in 2019 and we were supposed to go last year but got Covid'd. We're booked for this September.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Tha Carter said:

Can anyone advise on average pace of play at Cabot?

All 6 of my rounds when I was there last clocked in at just under 4 hours.

They run 12 minute spacings so unless you run into a real group of turtles it should be pretty good.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• 7 months later...

Just booked my trip for 8 guys for June of 2023! Only 1 weekend was available for that month due to the backed up Covid demand. Anyway, was wondering if there are any other golf courses nearby (less than an hour away) that allow carts. For now I have 3 rounds on the Cliffs, 3 on the Links and 2 on the Nest. I'm thinking that is going to be way too much walking for 4 days. If there isn't an acceptable cart course nearby i may have to drop a round or two. 

1 hour ago, DallasDan said:

Another question: Once we take the 3.5 hour shuttle ride to Cabot will we need transportation to get to the 3 courses? We are staying at the lodges on the property. THanks! 

They have a shuttle to take you to the courses. The lodges are literally right on CL.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

2 hours ago, DallasDan said:

Just booked my trip for 8 guys for June of 2023! Only 1 weekend was available for that month due to the backed up Covid demand. Anyway, was wondering if there are any other golf courses nearby (less than an hour away) that allow carts. For now I have 3 rounds on the Cliffs, 3 on the Links and 2 on the Nest. I'm thinking that is going to be way too much walking for 4 days. If there isn't an acceptable cart course nearby i may have to drop a round or two. 

Bell Bay in Baddeck is a little over an hour away, we played there as a warm up before heading to Cabot, when you finish go get a lobster dinner.

We used pull carts and found the walk tough, there a few holes where you are pulling the carts on sand paths, the Cliffs is hillier than it looks.  The day we played 36, we started at 7:30, had  lunch at the pub and finished around 6.  After dinner and drinks, the poker game only lasted an hour before guys started to go to bed.  We had an 7am time the next day and had to drive back to Halifax after for our flight out.

I would personally play four rounds on the Cliffs and two on the Links.

I'm headed out that way this summer and really looking forward to it. I only booked 1 night at Cabot, but plan to play 36 each day, twice on the Cliffs and Twice on the links (1 each day).  I also have a round booked at highland links. I'll be staying a couple days in Baddeck so will likely play Bell Bay.  I've also got a bit of time in Sydney so am considering a course around there too, but we'll see.  It's going to be a lot of golf in a short amount of time.  I just hope I can get my game up to snuff before heading out there.  Here's to an early spring!

• 10 months later...

I'm taking my boyfriend to Cabot for his 50th.

I booked everything from JFK to Sydney round trip, rental car, golf view room at the resort, tee times and caddies.

We are playing June 14th Cliffs/Nest, 15th Links/Cliffs, 16th Cliffs/Links.

I hope to get the girlfriend of the year award.

(I'm the one who really wanted to go to Cabot is just a minor detail)

Edited by nutmegchoi
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, nutmegchoi said:

I'm taking my boyfriend to Cabot for his 50th.

I booked everything from JFK to Sydney round trip, rental car, golf view room at the resort, tee times and caddies.

We are playing June 14th Cliffs/Nest, 15th Links/Cliffs, 16th Cliffs/Links.

I hope to get the girlfriend of the year award.

(I'm the one who really wanted to go to Cabot is just a minor detail)

Heck of a birthday present!!!!

• Like 1