2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

ggswingtipsgolf.com shady business practices

raywutang

my apologies if this isnt the proper place for this topic, moderators please move if not.

has anyone signed up for an annual membership at https://www.ggswingtipsgolf.com and has had a terrible time trying to get refunded after they autocharge you for another year?

so i signed up a year ago on 10/05/16, come 10/05/17 they auto-charged me for another year. I noticed on 10/07/16 the charge on my CC bill, and decide that I don't want another year on the site, so i contact site support for a refund. not only do i get denied due to some cockamamie terms and conditions bullcrap, but they try to up-sell me their lifetime membership for triple the price as the annual. my argument was that the site offers a 30 day 100% satisfaction guarantee, considering that i had just renewed on 10/05/17, requesting a refund on 10/07/17 is well within the 30 days. after a few days of numerous unpleasant back and forth exchanges with them, the refund is still a no go, and they are still trying to up-sell me.

ronnie is the guy i've been dealing with and i would say he is the epitome of what not to do in customer service.

i would love to hear anyone else's experiences with the site.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to look at that site. Its very professionally done by a marketing expert, i.e. someone who knows how to suck people in.

First warning bell is "

Tour Players are using this "Secret Weapon" to help Lower Their Scores."

I mean really people don't fall for that nonsense do they?

I wonder if some "entepeneur" said to Gankas, let me take care of all your online business.

Mr. Gankas is over there busy teaching, Mr. Lets Make Money is over here making money from Mr. Gankas' popularity.

If i were you OP i would try to contact Mr. Gankas directly, there is a chance he is an honest dealer.

so i signed up a year ago on 10/05/16, come 10/05/17 they auto-charged me for another year. I noticed on 10/07/16 the charge on my CC bill, and decide that I don't want another year on the site, so i contact site support for a refund. not only do i get denied due to some cockamamie terms and conditions bullcrap

So, you signed up for a year, didn't pay attention to the website's auto-renew Terms and Conditions, and you're angry they won't refund you for your mistake.

Correct?

I have no affiliation with the Company, but, I'd be willing to bet if you posted the T&C here I'd easily be able to find the 30 day provision you're arguing against as well.

Sorry, but the site isn't at fault here.

I'd contact George directly. I don't think he needs your money that bad ...

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

I wouldnt call this shady business. You agreeded to terms and conditions when u signed up

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Don't see where this is shady. It's the same with the chain gym memberships and other annual fee offerings. You missed the window for cancellation prior to the renewal. Caveat emptor.

Cleveland XL Classic Driver
TaylorMade RBZ Stage2 Strong 3 Wood
Ping G15 4 Wood
Adams Super S 3H Hybrid
Adams Idea Black CB3 Irons 4-PW
Ping Tour S 52 and 58
Yes Tracy Putter / McGregor Bobby Grace M1 Putter

I think you'll find all the terms and conditions cover all of the auto renew stuff. Almost all online subscriptions are opt out, not opt in.

Furthermore they're probably using third party software to manage the renewal of that subscription and payment. You'll probably find an email from a week prior to your card being charged telling you they would be charging you in a week's time and you had that time to opt out.

It may seem harsh but this is why you read the fine print. It's also why whenever you subscribe to anything like this set yourself a reminder 30 days prior to the renewal so you can opt out.

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

to my recollection, i only signed up for a year membership and also the site has completely gone under renovation (new design, new url) since i first joined so who knows what the T&C was when i first signed up.

also, i never received a renewal notice from them, only notice was the charge on my cc bill. granted if i did get one and i missed that chance, then thats on me. thats not the case here.

you know what though, i got too comfortable dealing with reputable businesses like amazon and figured that all business would operate this way. my mistake.

It might not be shady, but it’s terrible customer service.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I would just contact GG direct, bet he will take care of it. Never had any problems with him in the past

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

agree with few others. legally, yes you probably can't get your money back. but most quality companies that value customers and customer service would do the right thing and refund the money. especially as you caught it a day or two after.

the legality of something doesn't always dictate whether something is good or bad.

keep us updated once you reach out to gg

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

i have reached out to GG directly through instagram last night, he said he will look into immediately. i checked insta this morning and it seemed like he was busy playing golf, lol

obviously auto-renewal systems arent new to the internet, but i feel there are some definite legal guidelines that should be met. most obvious ones are outlined here: https://venturebeat.com/2011/04/18/ask-the-attorney-the-auto-renewal-conundrum/

his site does not meet any of those guidelines. i reviewed the order confirmation email that i received when i first signed up, no mention of auto-renewal or non-refunds, in fact it stated the following under terms:

Terms

$197.00 now, then $197.00 yearly. Cancel anytime.

If the terms and conditions did change, i never received notice of it. also, they never bothered to send me a renewal notice before they charged my CC. shady is a mild term to describe their business practices. no libel, just the truth.

dont get me wrong, i really enjoy GG's instructional videos and find his teaching methods effective, but dealing with his business partners has soured my overall experience.

Regardless of the legality of these practices, I find them questionable. It puts the onus on the customer to stop it. At a minimum the vendor should contact the customer a month in advance to inform him of the pending charge, and what to do to if those services are no longer needed or wanted.

And, it seems when you want to stop the service, it's like pulling teeth...most will try and sell you even more.

Any time I see something I may be interested in with an auto charge proviso, I pass. Reminds me of those horror stories I have read about on this site and Warrior Golf.

Personally, I don't agree with year long memberships on instructors sites....selling a few videos here and there is fine, but trapping someone into a year long auto renewal is a little crummy. Unfortunately his site has morphed more into the Chuck Quinton-esque type of site. While I do think GG is a legit and good instructor, it's apparent someone is handling this for him and not doing a great job. While I do agree that you should have read the t&c more carefully and it unfortunately is your own fault, most places would rather let you out than risk the bad publicity.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

I don't understand the need for the infomercial site, he is a popular instructor and I don't think needs the scammy look to sell memberships. I think he is making himself look bad by dealing with whoever is running his site.

Look at Monte's site, just straightforward info with links to buy video, info about his clinics, and a good blog.

As opposed to digging your heels in here within the thread, and citing reader Q&As with attorneys, you might have a better chance just dealing with the man directly (regardless of his early morning tee time today).

He already said he was going to fix it.

I understand you're upset, but, reinforcing the notion that you believe this company is shady isn't exactly helping your cause.

Very similar situation here. I just ate the 197. George may be a good guy but the people that run the site are bottom feeding scum bags. I tried to email and contact support but I got no response at all, I finally got contacted by the customer service guy after I disputed the charge and he agreed to give me a refund and then said the credit card wouldn't accept it. Of course they disputed my charge back as well.

My beef is that I reached out BEFORE the renewal but was ignored.

I brought it up on the Facebook site but was simply removed.

I don't know why I'm chiming in, but if a customer wants a refund, give him a refund. Trapping people with auto renewing and hiding behind the terms/conditions is sleazy.

They went well above and beyond disputing my charge back. I even have the customer service guys voicemail saying he would give me a refund but they did not. I let this go for awhile but seeing another person post about this really has me pissed again.

Personally, I don't agree with year long memberships on instructors sites....selling a few videos here and there is fine, but trapping someone into a year long auto renewal is a little crummy. Unfortunately his site has morphed more into the Chuck Quinton-esque type of site. While I do think GG is a legit and good instructor, it's apparent someone is handling this for him and not doing a great job. While I do agree that you should have read the t&c more carefully and it unfortunately is your own fault, most places would rather let you out than risk the bad publicity.

To be fair there is a monthly payment options on the site as well for people who don't want to stump up for 12 months. It's ultimately up to the buyer whether they want to purchase a year-long membership, so I hardly think it constitutes "trapping" them. I do agree that members should be given at least one months notice of the imminent auto-renewal though.

As opposed to digging your heels in here within the thread, and citing reader Q&As with attorneys, you might have a better chance just dealing with the man directly (regardless of his early morning tee time today).

He already said he was going to fix it.

I understand you're upset, but, reinforcing the notion that you believe this company is shady isn't exactly helping your cause.

i did reach out to GG directly. he said he would look into it immediately, he never said he was going to fix it. so far, i have not received a refund from them and at this point, i dont believe i will.

also, if you feel their business practices are ethical, please give me the names of the business you own and i will be sure to avoid them in the future.

To be fair there is a monthly payment options on the site as well for people who don't want to stump up for 12 months. It's ultimately up to the buyer whether they want to purchase a year-long membership, so I hardly think it constitutes "trapping" them. I do agree that members should be given at least one months notice of the imminent auto-renewal though.

To me the trapping is the auto renewal....fine for insurance as you need it, but for most other things, you should get an email or letter asking if you want to renew and have to consciously do something to renew. Auto renewal exists only to catch people off guard.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego