2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The secret to hitting the sweetspot with any club

The story how I figured this out was about 12 years ago I was struggling hitting the ball on the toe. So I bought some impact tape and tried getting closer to the ball, I tried choking up I tried different clubs. Everyone I hit it on the toe by maybe a 1/2"

So I thought like a previous poster mentioned I'm gonna try to hit it on the hosel I'm gonna fire the hosel directly into the ball and guess what I hit it dead solid.

Then I stood farther and closer from the ball and repeated the good contact. Later I learned that because It was working because the face Cog was laying on the same plane as the hosel at the top of the swing, it's the main reason having a clubface on plane is important at the top. But once I got it in my head that I could just swing that cog and focus on that I started hitting the sweetspot much more consistent .

You do know that most ams. lead the sweet spot with the hosel in the way .... right? Thus all the open face problems.

That's not why they have open face all pros lead with the hosel in the first foot of the swing.

And have open face problems because the face is way open to the pivot they control the face with there hands instead of letting the turning body control the rare of rotation. You must be in the camp that thinks Hogan had no supination in his swing. With him rotating the lead arm even more in the D.S. how on earth did he get the face on the ball... just pivot like crazy with the hosel leading and expect that to just square it up enough to hit his fade.

Just think how an extremely open face can square up enough to get a power fade ... I'll tell you it ain't from the pivot alone.

Yeah I'm not talking about the first foot of the swing. Plus if you rotated your lead arm to get the club on the so called plane the face is open and somewhere you have to re-rotate it to square the face up or you lead the sweet spot with the hosel in the way too long. No amount of pivot is going to fix that!

You must think that Hogan used his pivot alone to square up his wide open face without any supination. Hogan rotated his lead arm more on the D.S. to open his face more I seriously doubt he used his pivot to square that up, he had to supinate his forearm and that gave him a more square face/less open face and his pivot helped to not over rotate the club face.

I guess you haven't seen graphs of tour players and what their lead arms and wrists are doing.

I mistyped I meant first foot of downswing the hosel would be inline with sweetspot on the plane.

Despite some commenters dropping poop emojis on everything, this is a great thread.

OP spent some time focusing on the distance of the CoG to shaft, and this is a facet of club geometry that few players truly understand and/or use to their advantage.

Tons of people who end up playing golf already have a natural "feel" for hitting with the barrel of a baseball bat. I've mentioned this in a different thread, but I'll repeat it here: Golf is a lot like baseball, but with an angled attachment off the barrel that screws with your natural hit instincts.

IMO, the degree to which you have to fight (or perhaps re-train) your hitting intuition for golf can be quantified somewhat by the distance of the shaft to the CoG.

I've learned I am better with any club if the CoG is closer to the shaft. So for example, if you gave me a monstrous SGI iron with the sweet spot 1.75" away from the shaft, I would hit it worse than an iron with the sweet spot 1" away from the shaft.

Quick side note: IMO, OP made a much better swing and had superior impact with the Hogan iron (with the lower shaft-to-CoG distance). I don't think this was a coincidence.

In other words, the farther away the CoG is from the shaft, the more detached the point of impact becomes from where our natural hit instincts want it to be (which would be very near the shaft—the object we are actually swinging).

I finally realized the importance of CoG placement/distance when I was hitting a PSP "Little One" training club a while back. I was in the middle of a ball striking slump, and in an attempt to break free, I knocked around a few balls with the PSP 7-iron.

The results were remarkable.

I immediately went from "good god, where is the sweet spot?" with my 7-iron to "holy crap, I wish I could hit my 7-iron anywhere near that well!" with the PSP 7-iron.

For me, the secret sauce wasn't in the gimmickry of the PSP training club—it was simply the fact that the CoG is only about 0.5" away from the shaft.

As a result, even though the head on the PSP is tiny, I can absolutely crush it because it allows me to tap into my natural hit instincts and "swing it like a dowel," as OP said earlier in this thread.

Ultimately, I understand what OP is saying, and I think on a very basic level, his premise is correct.

In my case, my brain has a very difficult time perceiving the shaft + club head as a single unit (a dowel), and this leads to a fork in the road. I must either:

• Re-train my brain to perceive the shaft + club head as a single unit, or
  • Adjust my equipment to tap into my natural hit instincts as much as possible.

The first possibility may be suitable for many players—they can simply start "seeing" the club in a different way, and this will be enough to produce positive results.

I'm intrigued by the second approach. For me, the answer has been to use smaller iron heads and flatter lie angles, as both of these adjustments bring the CoG closer to the shaft (and shaft plane, which could be its own post topic).

For what it's worth, I'm actually interested to try even smaller iron heads to drop the CoG gap even more. I'd also love a ~280cc "driver" head—something like an M2 fairway head at 10.5º and a 55º lie angle would be unbelievably awesome, and it would feel like batting practice to me.

Closer the CoG is to the hosel, the higher chance to hit the hosel which is why GI irons have the sweet spot farther away as high caps would shank everything.

Why does flatter lie angles bring the CoG closer to the shaft ?

Your right cog farther from hosel gives you more space to miss the sweetspot without total disaster.

I'm Glad someone is in agreement with me even on a basic level :)

Swinging the dowel is good imagery

You still have to square the face though that's a whole different issue.

Maybe the imagery should be swinging a yardstick

Does this mean, in a simplified way, that what we feel (until the last parts of the downswing, where there's anyway no time left for our brain to change anything) as the club head / heavy part of the club that transmits itself through sensations from hands and arms, is in fact the sweet spot? And that leading with the hosel is in fact not true and that it's exactly what we need to be feeling and need to be delivering at the ball (or through the ball) ?

What I've found is that intentionally driving that heavy part of the club at the ball often times results in a sweet spot strike. And when I've tried to avoid the hosel/shanking and attempted to hit "outside" the heavy part, I've actually toed it.

The explanation of hosel and sweetspot planes being in line during the more conscious parts of the swing make sense. If they're the same, how are you even supposed to be able to "steer" the last milliseconds and turn the sweetspot to the ball as it gradually separates itself from the hosel plane? Impossible. I've also found that intentionally trying to hit the hosel at the ball is really really difficult...

Might the OP be onto something here?

Tero yes I think your picking up what I'm laying down

Think about the argument posed by others is that , nah you or pros are just using your hand eye coordination to bring the center of the clubface to the ball.

I'm saying I can't even see the clubhead throughout my swing I can only see the ball

When you swing a ping pong paddle you don't need to see it you feel where it is you can feel the cog

When you throw a ball you feel the cog and you throw it towards your target.

A golf club is the same you feel the cog in transition and you swing it at the ball the shaft and the hosel and the toe only matter for loft and direction but not for bringing the cog to the ball

Think about the argument posed by others is that , nah you or pros are just using your hand eye coordination to bring the center of the clubface to the ball.

I'm saying I can't even see the clubhead throughout my swing I can only see the ball

When you swing a ping pong paddle you don't need to see it you feel where it is you can feel the cog

When you throw a ball you feel the cog and you throw it towards your target.

A golf club is the same you feel the cog in transition and you swing it at the ball the shaft and the hosel and the toe only matter for loft and direction but not for bringing the cog to the ball

That's not the argument at all talk about making up stuff to make your case...lol! What I'm saying is you have no idea where the cog is in the club head but you know from experience where the face is and how to square it up and bring it to the ball more or less on center, the cog in the club head isn't even a factor since the club head has a shaft attached to it and that now is a cog of the club that you feel.

You talk like you have just a club head with no shaft attached. Mac the cog of the club head is a pin point location and you will not feel where it is when a shaft and grip and ferrule and epoxy and maybe a weight is in and on the club head. C'mon really!

xcofg_driver_head.jpg.pagespeed.ic.j3kAgJgNAT.jpg

This is the little cog point in 2d you think you feel with the shaft attached swinging at 105 mph.

And matter of fact I was a very good table tennis player and I just knew where the face of the paddle was at all times and played and practiced a ton against other very good players. Oh and most of the time I never saw the paddle but always saw the ball and knew where the paddle was and how it was orientated in space... all starting from lousy to very good by learning how to use the racket and my athletic ability.

Also very good at darts but never practice at all hardly play yet I'm no hack...maybe I feel the cog of the dart...lol!

Oh I forgot to mention when I gripped the racket the cog changed wouldn't have a clue where it was before or after I grabbed that racket but I knew where it/the racket was in space and how it was orientated.

Yes exactly good point you take that little tiny point which is the center of all the mass in the clubhead and you swing it at the ball.

Is it a learned thing your brain needs to figure out to get good at yeah I thing so. But my point is that you need to treat the club more simply like a dowel.

Basically your brain need to know how much forward lean you need on that dowel. How open or closed that dowel will be at impact and are you gonna drive the cog at the ball under the ball or on top of it.

Either way you feel the cog, I here you about the shaft and the grip and the glue but I think your brain is so good it filters that out and uses your proprioception to bring what it knows as the sweetspot to the ball.

Yes exactly good point you take that little tiny point which is the center of all the mass in the clubhead and you swing it at the ball.

Is it a learned thing your brain needs to figure out to get good at yeah I thing so. But my point is that you need to treat the club more simply like a dowel.

Basically your brain need to know how much forward lean you need on that dowel. How open or closed that dowel will be at impact and are you gonna drive the cog at the ball under the ball or on top of it.

Either way you feel the cog, I here you about the shaft and the grip and the glue but I think your brain is so good it filters that out and uses your proprioception to bring what it knows as the sweetspot to the ball.

Cog of the whole club then we agree but just the club head cog ...I have to respectfully disagree. It's more about the face awareness in space at a given time that's why I said most people have no idea where their hands are at any given point in the swing never mind the face orientation or the cog of the club head.

One more thing about bringing the sweet spot to the ball not all the different ways of doing that are a good thing!

Lots of good posts but let me try to add a slighty different lighting to the subject.

The sweetspot is indeed offset from the shaft and the shaft tends to rotate around the sweetspot if unperturbed. On the other hand, if you're overpowering the shaft you may force it to swing on plane and so the sweetspot is pulled of-circle / off-plane. The alternative is to allow for the sweetspot to swing on plane and the shaft to rotate around it, TGM calls that Hinge Action : program your body so that the hands allows the handle to rotate the right amount around impact, without steering.

Lots of good posts but let me try to add a slighty different lighting to the subject.

The sweetspot is indeed offset from the shaft and the shaft tends to rotate around the sweetspot if unperturbed. On the other hand, if you're overpowering the shaft you may force it to swing on plane and so the sweetspot is pulled of-circle / off-plane. The alternative is to allow for the sweetspot to swing on plane and the shaft to rotate around it, TGM calls that Hinge Action : program your body so that the hands allows the handle to rotate the right amount around impact, without steering.

Good post I've found if you swing the club like a dowel and imagine it is one it takes away the leverage most people apply to the club, the club needs input it needs to be swing from the center or at least I've found for me to get the best results you can definitely overpower it and use leverage but you get inferior results to swinging. The power needs to come from the center and the face closure is gradual that will keep the sweetspot on plane and undisturbed. If you ever swing a whippy club in order to hit it good you have to swing from the center and coax the correct face closure to it it's gotta be smooth,

Most amateurs think the clubhead as something that rotates around the clubshaft. They work very hard in all sorts of ways in order to make that happen ... and they fight against the forces that others that know better use to their advantage. When first learning to play the game most people (adults in particular) learn early in their quest to play golf that it's difficult to square the clubface through impact. And it's also difficult to have the ball hit the sweet spot. These difficulties quite often come about because of their misconception in how the golf club reacts when it is swung as it was designed and intended to be. They usually must fight against this clubhead reaction (of it not squaring-up and not being able to hit the sweet spot) by using their brute force muscular manipulation - in other words they must intentionally force the clubhead to rotate around the shaft...instead of swinging the sweet spot (or center-of-gravity) of the clubhead and allowing (or letting) the shaft to orbit or rotate around the sweet spot. What makes this tremendous [incorrect] effort even more difficult by most golfers is that they are actually fighting against themselves and physics...when there is no need.

When the clubhead's sweet spot is rotated about a 1/4 turn and lays against the swing plane the sweet spot plane is aligned with the clubshaft plane - in other words the clubshaft plane and sweet spot plane are on the same plane, which are laying on the golfer's swing plane. But, as the downswing progresses (and the forearm, etc. rotate back from its 1/4 turn) the sweet spot plane moves away from its alignment with the clubshaft plane, and the end of the shaft (hosel) reacts to the clubhead's center-of-gravity or sweet spot plane ... and this reaction causes the hosel to orbit around the sweet spot through the impact zone. As this happens the lower end of the clubshaft droops. If you were to swing the golf club as if it were a shaft with a weight on the very end (instead of an 'L' shaped clubhead attached to it), then you would be swinging the sweet spot. With a golf club that has the clubhead attached to it, you swing the sweet spot by swinging it just like there was no clubhead attached to it because the clubhead's Cg (sweet spot) will take control (due to its heavier weight compared to the shaft's lighter weight) once the sweet spot plane starts moving away from its 1/4 turn alignment with the clubshaft plane - and this causes a 'droop' in the lower shaft, which makes the sweet spot pass in a straight plane line from the grip end of the shaft. Most people think the clubhead rotates around the lower shaft (hosel). It does not. The shaft orbits or rotates around the Cg or sweet spot.

Learn to swing the sweet spot and you'll always have a solid strike on the sweet spot ... and you won't need all that wasted muscular effort trying to square the clubface, plus you'll compress the ball to the maximum and gain clubhead speed and accuracy...

In the video (below) look where Pat Perez intentionally and (with conviction) moves the hosel of his club just before he starts the club back. This is his way to make sure he swings the sweet spot, something he's been doing since he was a teenager.

Psssst - Don't tell anyone ... because it is kinda a secret!

[media=]

[/media]

sweetspot.gif

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

Most amateurs think the clubhead as something that rotates around the clubshaft. They work very hard in all sorts of ways in order to make that happen ... and they fight against the forces that others that know better use to their advantage. When first learning to play the game most people (adults in particular) learn early in their quest to play golf that it's difficult to square the clubface through impact. And it's also difficult to have the ball hit the sweet spot. These difficulties quite often come about because of their misconception in how the golf club reacts when it is swung as it was designed and intended to be. They usually must fight against this clubhead reaction (of it not squaring-up and not being able to hit the sweet spot) by using their brute force muscular manipulation - in other words they must intentionally force the clubhead to rotate around the shaft...instead of swinging the sweet spot (or center-of-gravity) of the clubhead and allowing (or letting) the shaft to orbit or rotate around the sweet spot. What makes this tremendous [incorrect] effort even more difficult by most golfers is that they are actually fighting against themselves and physics...when there is no need.

When the clubhead's sweet spot is rotated about a 1/4 turn and lays against the swing plane the sweet spot plane is aligned with the clubshaft plane - in other words the clubshaft plane and sweet spot plane are on the same plane, which are laying on the golfer's swing plane. But, as the downswing progresses (and the forearm, etc. rotate back from its 1/4 turn) the sweet spot plane moves away from its alignment with the clubshaft plane, and the end of the shaft (hosel) reacts to the clubhead's center-of-gravity or sweet spot plane ... and this reaction causes the hosel to orbit around the sweet spot through the impact zone. As this happens the lower end of the clubshaft droops. If you were to swing the golf club as if it were a shaft with a weight on the very end (instead of an 'L' shaped clubhead attached to it), then you would be swinging the sweet spot. With a golf club that has the clubhead attached to it, you swing the sweet spot by swinging it just like there was no clubhead attached to it because the clubhead's Cg (sweet spot) will take control (due to its heavier weight compared to the shaft's lighter weight) once the sweet spot plane starts moving away from its 1/4 turn alignment with the clubshaft plane - and this causes a 'droop' in the lower shaft, which makes the sweet spot pass in a straight plane line from the grip end of the shaft. Most people think the clubhead rotates around the lower shaft (hosel). It does not. The shaft orbits or rotates around the Cg or sweet spot.

Learn to swing the sweet spot and you'll always have a solid strike on the sweet spot ... and you won't need all that wasted muscular effort trying to square the clubface, plus you'll compress the ball to the maximum and gain clubhead speed and accuracy...

In the video (below) look where Pat Perez intentionally and (with conviction) moves the hosel of his club just before he starts the club back. This is his way to make sure he swings the sweet spot, something he's been doing since he was a teenager.

Psssst - Don't tell anyone ... because it is kinda a secret!

[media=]

[/media]

sweetspot.gif

lol using pat Perez as a model. Straight from the mean streets of Torrey Pines!!! What a doosh

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

So what's the point of any of this?

It's just two mentally delusional egos of the same person trying to convince people that they think they understand something as it relates to the golf swing.

Don't do drugs kids. Or in his case, don't stop taking the ones that the doc perscribes to you.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

It's just two mentally delusional egos of the same person trying to convince people that they think they understand something as it relates to the golf swing.

Don't do drugs kids. Or in his case, don't stop taking the ones that the doc perscribes to you.

The guy has a really good point, but he doesnt sell it very well, I fell his pain as it always happen to me. There is what he says and what you might first perceive. And then there is what he want to say or what he is trying to say. I also think that "feeling the cog" is a big call and a long shot. Aligning the shaft with the center of the gravity of the club at the top of the backswing is very understandable though. And swinging your club like you would try to keep those 2 axis aligned on the same plane the longer possible can also makes sense. But then your face is open, like stated above, the club might need some help or square the face. I like the concept thet the shaft rotates behind the club head and cog isntead of tryong to rotate the head in front of the shaft. Its way easier and less demanding to turn a 130 g shaft on its axis than to turn a 300g head off its trajectory and momentum.

Ive hit trying to hit the sweetspot the whole summer and ive been hitting the toe the whole summer. I wish I read that in april.

If you dont understand or disagree(but there is nothing here to agree with or disagree), just comment " hey, its nice that this feeling works for you, this intention or whatever, as long as it works for you"

And it seems to me that they effectively understand something in the golf swing. They understand that the cog of the whole club isnt aligned with the shaft. And that its way more efficient to keep the cog plane of the club aligned with the shaft plane the the longer possible, or the intention of it or whatever. And if you do that, the cog of the club head will find its way on the ball. Might need some help to square the face somehow though, but cog will be the on the ball, with face open closed or squared hopefully.

But im probably a third delusional ego speculating on the golf swing as my master in mechanical engineering though me nothing about simple physics, oh wait.

The guy has a really good point, but he doesnt sell it very well, I fell his pain as it always happen to me. There is what he says and what you might first perceive. And then there is what he want to say or what he is trying to say. I also think that "feeling the cog" is a big call and a long shot. Aligning the shaft with the center of the gravity of the club at the top of the backswing is very understandable though. And swinging your club like you would try to keep those 2 axis aligned on the same plane the longer possible can also makes sense. But then your face is open, like stated above, the club might need some help or square the face. I like the concept thet the shaft rotates behind the club head and cog isntead of tryong to rotate the head in front of the shaft. Its way easier and less demanding to turn a 130 g shaft on its axis than to turn a 300g head off its trajectory and momentum.

Ive hit trying to hit the sweetspot the whole summer and ive been hitting the toe the whole summer. I wish I read that in april.

If you dont understand or disagree(but there is nothing here to agree with or disagree), just comment " hey, its nice that this feeling works for you, this intention or whatever, as long as it works for you"

And it seems to me that they effectively understand something in the golf swing. They understand that the cog of the whole club isnt aligned with the shaft. And that its way more efficient to keep the cog plane of the club aligned with the shaft plane the the longer possible, or the intention of it or whatever. And if you do that, the cog of the club head will find its way on the ball. Might need some help to square the face somehow though, but cog will be the on the ball, with face open closed or squared hopefully.

But im probably a third delusional ego speculating on the golf swing as my master in mechanical engineering though me nothing about simple physics, oh wait.

Mac is nothing more than more than one more username on here created by the same guy that gets constantly banned. The CG has been measured/tracked before, it's not new material. I posted the link in this thread already. It's nowhere near aligned anywhere near impact. It's just the same two usernames, which I am pretty sure are one in the same person trying to stroke their own alter egos, posting the same dribble over and over again. Ol Mac, Strike Force, 'Strike Farce' (just showed up), plus who knows how many others...are doing nothing more than trying to pollute the forums.

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)

Spider Tour X3

Strike force

Very good post you said what I have been trying to say very nicely.

When you talk about the hosel secret. Are you saying he is trying to swing the hosel away on plane without rotating the first few inches? I've never heard of this and am not sure exactly what you mean but I am intrigued. Where do you reside?

And golfnut or anyone else you are so silly about this multiple screen name thing I am one person I've shown videos of myself. I don't know who strikeforce is but know I'm gonna be on the lookout for his post as he's one of the few people I've seen that has some clarity on the golf swing.

Here's another Manzella video on shanking that gets into the sweetspot and it's orientation to the shaft plane in the swing and it's affect on shanking. If nothing else it may help illuminate the concept of the SS moving from being on the shaft plane to moving off it on the downswing.

[media=]

[/media]

Strike force

When you talk about the hosel secret. Are you saying he is trying to swing the hosel away on plane without rotating the first few inches? I've never heard of this and am not sure exactly what you mean but I am intrigued. Where do you reside?

And golfnut or anyone else you are so silly about this multiple screen name thing I am one person I've shown videos of myself. I don't know who strikeforce is but know I'm gonna be on the lookout for his post as he's one of the few people I've seen that has some clarity on the golf swing.

Well, next time you see him, you may want to tell him that isn't the proper way to measure the CG of the club head either, he's got that part wrong too.

Spider Tour X3

Mac is nothing more than more than one more username on here created by the same guy that gets constantly banned. The CG has been measured/tracked before, it's not new material. I posted the link in this thread already. It's nowhere near aligned anywhere near impact. It's just the same two usernames, which I am pretty sure are one in the same person trying to stroke their own alter egos, posting the same dribble over and over again. Ol Mac, Strike Force, 'Strike Farce' (just showed up), plus who knows how many others...are doing nothing more than trying to pollute the forums.

I think the intent of a lot of these "trolls" is to indirectly discredit the instructors who give free advice here either due to jealousy or past history.

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Strike force

Well, next time you see him, you may want to tell him that isn't the proper way to measure the CG of the club head either, he's got that part wrong too.

Yeah Mac and Strike don't need to measure the cog.... they can tell where it is at any point in space or any orientation just by feeling it

They could take any club from any manufacturer and instantly know where the cog was just by picking it up, they have ability that only true cog savants possess , their ability is more rare than the Northern Hairy Nosed Wombat!

Good thread here gents. Pay no mind these brown nosing fluffers.

Your first 3 posts were much better. :ban:

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini