POLL: Let’s settle the ”wrx long” claim driver debate.

Rosco1216

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chose the distance I carry the ball with a good swing (for me) which is not a true average. And I would not make a large wager on carrying the ball over 200 yards of water.

Me, too. I thought that was what we were supposed to do. An average drive for me will carry about 230 but I get up to about 245 carry on a good swing and good strike, so I voted for 240-260.

So to settle, via anonymous poll so no reason to lie, let’s see what the wrx "average drive" really is.

According to the o p, he's looking for an average of all your drives, not what you would get if you hit it on the screws one out of every five times. Every once in awhile I get up to the 260 range, but that is not my average. My average is somewhere between 220 to 240 yards.

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Agree with that. Just because I can carry a certain distance doesn't mean I would try it over water.

I play a lot of golf, and get paired with a lot of random people. I'm not a big hitter but rarely do I see someone who hits the ball further than me. Like almost never. I only carry 250 or so, and even on a bad strike I rarely see someone past me.

Not bragging, most single digits I play with hit the ball much further than me. I just never randomly meet single digits

I think the average golfer is delusional

I tried to make it as specific as possible so there isn’t a side debate over averages and such. Which distance would you take on a fairly substantial bet on, whatever amount that might be.

I’m intending to describe a scenario to find out what max number members would take on. To a number they are at least more confident than not that they can clear. Hopefully the high stakes gamblers who just want a challenge and don’t care about the money and the highly conservative guys will even out.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

I "avg." less than 280 carry but if I took the bet from the OP's story and stepped on one I would feel pretty good about my chances of getting paid.

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

This poll will without a doubt settle this debate, which only seems to be raging in the minds of a minority of users, once and for all.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

The scorecard doesn’t care how long you are.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

That’s cool. You should start your own thread about it.

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Piretti Savona 

Well, do you think you would score better if you had a wedge into the green instead of a 5-iron?

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

The scorecard doesnt care how long you are.

Thats cool. You should start your own thread about it.

Be my guest

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

Be my guest

No point for me to. Similar to there being no point for your comment.

Piretti Savona 

The scorecard doesnt care how long you are.

Thats cool. You should start your own thread about it.

Be my guest

Bad day? Wife leave you or your mommy started dating again?

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

Be my guest

Bad day? Wife leave you or your mommy started dating again?

Honestly I just don’t like lefties. Unless they’re talented.

Piretti Savona 

Neither do I

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

I'd like to dispel a popular belief. Driving long doesn't guarantee you'll get to scratch. It just means you have more opportunities to hit OB, water, trees, other fairways, etc. . .

And, of course, you're better off hitting from the water from 50 yards out

than from 100. :)

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Launch monitor says 260ish carry with 275-280 total. Hole 17 on the course I play requires a minimum of 256 carry for the water if you want to go for it from the blues and get a nice 60-75 yard wedge in. I never seem to have a problem. But I'm by no means a big hitter - I can count with my fingers the number of times I've ever broken 300. It usually involved a hill. And wind. I was also 10 years younger.

I put 220-240 because I would not feel comfortable taking on a flat carry over 230 in a serious competitive round, even though I probably could 9 times out of 10. I can get it out to 240 carry, with longer if I catch it flush, but I want to build a round on averages and less penalty shots than 'bomb' and gouge.

And in reality, there is always wind, elevation, humidity, temperature, fatigue, random swing feel, niggly injury etc to factor in to every tee shot, which is why dry ball numbers are fairly pointless. It also depends on the hole - is it tight, am I going to hit a bunt driver? My big miss if I go after it is right, so is that going to be trouble? If I nail it am I going to run through the dog leg?

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

I put 220-240 because I would not feel comfortable taking on a flat carry over 230 in a serious competitive round, even though I probably could 9 times out of 10. I can get it out to 240 carry, with longer if I catch it flush, but I want to build a round on averages and less penalty shots than 'bomb' and gouge.

And in reality, there is always wind, elevation, humidity, temperature, fatigue, random swing feel, niggly injury etc to factor in to every tee shot, which is why dry ball numbers are fairly pointless. It also depends on the hole - is it tight, am I going to hit a bunt driver? My big miss if I go after it is right, so is that going to be trouble? If I nail it am I going to run through the dog leg?

Bringing in all the variables and calculating averages for how you want to play a round isn’t wha I’m getting at in the post.

I’m attempting to find out what number, based on the given scenario, wrx members would claim. Not how the member chooses to calculate their average. So far is seems only a very small percentage actually claim they can carry it 280+. Which was the reason for the topic in the first place. There’s even less than I thought there would be. Granted only 149 have answered..

Piretti Savona 

Bringing in all the variables and calculating averages for how you want to play a round isn't wha I'm getting at in the post.

I'm attempting to find out what number, based on the given scenario, wrx members would claim. Not how the member chooses to calculate their average. So far is seems only a very small percentage actually claim they can carry it 280+. Which was the reason for the topic in the first place. There's even less than I thought there would be. Granted only 149 have answered..

To carry a 280 yard pond is factoring all the above things because those are all major factors to success. Basically, you'd have to comfortably carry over 300 to guarantee success on a 280 yard forced carry with no substantial wind.

To make a 280 carry every time, you'd need to look at the longest 25 PGA Tour or Web players. Maybe a few from the European tour?

Bringing in all the variables and calculating averages for how you want to play a round isn't wha I'm getting at in the post.

I'm attempting to find out what number, based on the given scenario, wrx members would claim. Not how the member chooses to calculate their average. So far is seems only a very small percentage actually claim they can carry it 280+. Which was the reason for the topic in the first place. There's even less than I thought there would be. Granted only 149 have answered..

To carry a 280 yard pond is factoring all the above things because those are all major factors to success. Basically, you'd have to comfortably carry over 300 to guarantee success on a 280 yard forced carry with no substantial wind.

To make a 280 carry every time, you'd need to look at the longest 25 PGA Tour or Web players. Maybe a few from the European tour?

No they aren’t. Did you read the OP? I gave a very specific scenario. It’s not what you can comfortably carry ever time, nor was it what you could carry when you absolutely flush one.

Looking at tour pros have absolutely nothing to do with.

Piretti Savona 

Hmmmm... You basically have a perfect bell curve.

This game is more fun the longer you hit the ball. More longer hitters stay in the game longer. More avid players migrate towards WRX.

I've always felt we have more bombers, not because they're lying, but because they actually need an exotic shaft and come here to read reviews. I'm in the 240 to 260 category in case you think I'm biased towards defending the bombers. But, I've seen a lot of guys carry the ball 3 bills so I know they exist.