2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

POLL: Let’s settle the ”wrx long” claim driver debate.

Rosco1216

ah, that helps a little, but point still stands.

Too bad you cannot edit your poll results a little. Move 20 or 30 of those guys back a increment and you are in business. :)

Well we'd still have more 240-260 than we would 260-280. I don't think it's a stretch. Guarantee most of the latter group is 260-270. So one could venture to say 70-75% of the members here can carry their driver 230-270.

This is a really good poll. Not surprised by the results.

I wouldn't consider yardage valid unless the numbers are from a calibrated launch monitor. How can one honestly determine correct carry yardage on the course.

I do agree with a previous post. Golf is more fun if you can hit it solid and far(ther).

Lastly. Most 300 yard driver guys. That I've played with. Couldn't break 90.

I voted 260-280.

Unlikely that the 300 yard hitters can't break 90, I bet you meant 80 or something?

ah, that helps a little, but point still stands.

Too bad you cannot edit your poll results a little. Move 20 or 30 of those 260-280 guys back a increment, and 20 25 or so of the new total of the 240-260 guys back a increment, and you are in business. :)

It’s only just over 50 votes. I don’t think that 50 folks out of the entire membership on this site carrying 260-280 is an unreasonable percentage of players, especially since this site’s membership probably consists largely of pretty avid golfers, and not just the casual muni once-in-a-while type player.

That and the possibility that longer hitters are more likely to participate in these types of threads.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the comments in this thread remind me of an instance earlier this year in a state sanctioned tournament on the first tee when I was quietly talking myself through the opening tee shot and a member of the course overheard what I was saying to myself and literally laughed out loud. I’ll spare the rest of the story. I don’t want to be ridiculed for not being on tour.

The biggest annoyance in every distance debate are the people that make assumptions that every long hitter “should be on tour”. Meanwhile, those same guys are strutting around saying prehistoric things like “drive for show and putt for dough”.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Some of the comments in this thread remind me of an instance earlier this year in a state sanctioned tournament on the first tee when I was quietly talking myself through the opening tee shot and a member of the course overheard what I was saying to myself and literally laughed out loud. I'll spare the rest of the story. I don't want to be ridiculed for not being on tour.

The biggest annoyance in every distance debate are the people that make assumptions that every long hitter "should be on tour". Meanwhile, those same guys are strutting around saying prehistoric things like "drive for show and putt for dough".

TBW, I do hope you wiped the smile off his face! I'd like to hear the story.

This poll is a little tricky because not only does it factor in length but also course management - perhaps that was the polls intention. If someone's average carry is 260 then they shouldn't be taking on the 240-260 line as any slight mishit and you're making a double bogey or worse. My average carry is about 250 and I voted for 220-240 category. However, I might go even more more conservative in real life.

This poll is a little tricky because not only does it factor in length but also course management - perhaps that was the polls intention. If someone's average carry is 260 then they shouldn't be taking on the 240-260 line as any slight mishit and you're making a double bogey or worse. My average carry is about 250 and I voted for 220-240 category. However, I might go even more more conservative in real life.

If you carry 250 on average then just put yourself into the 240-260 range because the 250 average takes slight mishits into account.

The poll isn’t tricky and is as straightforward as it gets. Differences in everyone’s course management should not come into play. I’m guessing you didn’t read the OP.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

I wouldn't consider yardage valid unless the numbers are from a calibrated launch monitor. How can one honestly determine correct carry yardage on the course.

I do agree with a previous post. Golf is more fun if you can hit it solid and far(ther).

Lastly. Most 300 yard driver guys. That I've played with. Couldn't break 90.

I voted 260-280.

A laser?? Most are +-1 yard.

I had this scenario in a round Friday on a par 4. I know exactly which one of these I fall in. Will I hit it every time? No way. Will I take the bet? $$$$of course because I'm capable of doing it and that's what he's asking. Are you comfortable enough wth the yardage to take the bet. Vote on that one.

EDIT: If they consistently carry it 300 and can't break 90 I would love to meet them...it would be a first for me.

Driver- PING G400 VC 6.1 X
5 wood- Bridgestone J33 VS Proto
3-PW JPX 900 Tour SPR X
52,56,60 Ping Glide
Putter - Scotty Cameron TEi3 Newport

i'm in the 280-300y crew.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

The poll isn't tricky and is as straightforward as it gets. Differences in everyone's course management should not come into play. I'm guessing you didn't read the OP.

Maybe "risk tolerance" would have been a better fit than "course management". If my average carry is 250, I'm probably not betting a "substantial sum of money" that I can carry 250 but some might. Then again, I'm an accountant and golf like I live my life... probably too conservatively.

The poll isn't tricky and is as straightforward as it gets. Differences in everyone's course management should not come into play. I'm guessing you didn't read the OP.

Maybe "risk tolerance" would have been a better fit than "course management". If my average carry is 250, I'm probably not betting a "substantial sum of money" that I can carry 250 but some might. Then again, I'm an accountant and golf like I live my life... probably too conservatively.

Yeah the substantial amount of money was hoping to apply risk and keep course management out of the equation. Then again if one truly averages 250 carry, IMO they would take the bet at 240 and choose the 240-260 option.

Piretti Savona 

Yeah the substantial amount of money was hoping to apply risk and keep course management out of the equation. Then again if one truly averages 250 carry, IMO they would take the bet at 240 and choose the 240-260 option.

Not just your opinion. There's way more than 50/50 chance and add to that 10 yards to spare and a clean flat bank to carry.

I'm with the exception of golfers because I'm a washed up baseball player who has always known baseball players trying to play golf. Plenty of us can hit it long and pretty straight especially with the driver, but when it comes to dialing in wedge and short game it's a difficult transition from the "crush it every time" state of mind. But from what I've seen since I've been playing golf, people exaggerate their distance numbers.

I'm with the exception of golfers because I'm a washed up baseball player who has always known baseball players trying to play golf. Plenty of us can hit it long and pretty straight especially with the driver, but when it comes to dialing in wedge and short game it's a difficult transition from the "crush it every time" state of mind. But from what I've seen since I've been playing golf, people exaggerate their distance numbers.

Yes, many do, but apparently not on this site. Most people answered 250 carry on average or in that range, and from my experience with better golfers that's about right. Add to that that Golfwrx golfers tend to be more serious about golf and are likely better golfers, and the ones that tend to respond to topics like driving distance tend to be more on the longer end of hitters.

300+ is like asking "are you over 3ft. tall?"

Not sure I got this one, but if it's similar to many of your other posts then I'll guess if you meant a 3' tall cat or you planned to use a word other than "tall" that indicates length?

Guess there’s no point in asking since everyone is over 3ft tall and no reason to assume they’re exaggerating.

Piretti Savona 

The poll isn’t tricky and is as straightforward as it gets. Differences in everyone’s course management should not come into play. I’m guessing you didn’t read the OP.

Bro, it’s about as straight forward as a poll can be and I’m

Pretty medicated right now???

Jesus, I feel better about myself!!!

I love this friggin Place??

Stay well My Friend?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Jesus, I just asked Madison what this meant and she chirped “go to sleep,” lol

I hate curve balls?

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I would say I'm comfortable going over a bunker or water at 260 but no more. However,I did carry a pond on a short par 4 this year that was 270, and that was not wind-assisted or at any substantial elevation. I wouldn't attempt that if there was big money on the line, though, or a good score.

Fitted on trackman earlier this year in Florida, average carry was 276.8. I've played with people that carried it at least 30-40 yards past me, it's rare but they're out there. I'm not a good golfer, currently a 7, but I've never seen someone carry the ball past me that wasn't at least a low single digit or scratch, as long as they're fairly straight off the tee. Hitting driver wedge every hole makes it hard to shoot high scores, unless there's major issues with your short game or wedges.

108-110 SS, carry 270-280 on average, normally in the 270s consistently.

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Just a thought I had - if you're assuming neutral conditions, even if guys are all carrying the same distance, there can be different kinds of trajectories, spin rate etc, so it's not really an even comparison, and this is why in neutral conditions total distance still rules.

?‍♂️

Piretti Savona 

Callaway and Titleist had their representatives doing club fittings at our club earlier in the week. I avoided the range and went out to play 9-holes but during my play I got to thinking about this thread. Upon finishing I headed down to the range where the salesmen, oops club fitters were working. Lots of shiny new irons and pretty looking drivers and fairway woods. I recognized the Titleist rep and headed over to chat. He told me that the vast majority of the guys he fits carry their driver between 210 and 220 yards AFTER a proper fitting. Of course he sees players in the 220 to 240 range and the occasional bomber 260+ range, but most players have the perception that they carry the ball much farther than they actually do. How do I feel about this poll's results? I think people are trying to be honest and truly believe in their perceived carry yardage. But fact and perception may not be in agreement, in this case.

He was finishing up with his last appointment, so I asked him if I could launch a few with my Taylor R1 driver and see my numbers. My swing speed has slowed down quite a bit as father time does its work on me, but at 59-years old am efficient. Average swing speed: 96 mph, Average ball speed: 140 mph, Average carry yardage: 237. I chose the 220-240 range when I responded to this poll last week, so at least I am realistic about my carry yardage :-). Now, is getting down to scratch realistic?

PS. No harm or insult was intended in this post.

Callaway and Titleist had their representatives doing club fittings at our club earlier in the week. I avoided the range and went out to play 9-holes but during my play I got to thinking about this thread. Upon finishing I headed down to the range where the salesmen, oops club fitters were working. Lots of shiny new irons and pretty looking drivers and fairway woods. I recognized the Titleist rep and headed over to chat. He told me that the vast majority of the guys he fits carry their driver between 210 and 220 yards AFTER a proper fitting. Of course he sees players in the 220 to 240 range and the occasional bomber 260+ range, but most players have the perception that they carry the ball much farther than they actually do. How do I feel about this poll's results? I think people are trying to be honest and truly believe in their perceived carry yardage. But fact and perception may not be in agreement, in this case.

He was finishing up with his last appointment, so I asked him if I could launch a few with my Taylor R1 driver and see my numbers. My swing speed has slowed down quite a bit as father time does its work on me, but at 59-years old am efficient. Average swing speed: 96 mph, Average ball speed: 140 mph, Average carry yardage: 237. I chose the 220-240 range when I responded to this poll last week, so at least I am realistic about my carry yardage :-). Now, is getting down to scratch realistic?

Not surprising at all. Big OEM reps that go to all these demo days see a sample of golfers that are mostly just weekend warriors and the vast majority are bogey golfers at best. They probably see more guys who hit it over 250 than they’ve seen who have ever heard of GolfWRX. Most reps may have 1 x-stiff shaft option for their drivers, sometimes none.

And no offense to those reps but most self proclaimed equipment junkies on wrx know more about equipment than a lot of the reps do. At least in my experience.

Piretti Savona 

Considering that the average total drive for all males is about 208 yards, I'd say you and the Callaway fitter are correct. In fact 210 to 220 yards is on the high side because people who bother to get fitted are likely ahead of the 208 yard average.

However, one thing you are not taking into account is the type of person answering on WRX and the ones who tend to follow topics like this one, and I'd guess that most of them are longer hitters. Which is why the average carry is 250.

Less than 200 people answered this poll of the tens of thousands who subscribe to WRX, and we end up with a number 20% higher than the average carry of all golfers is not surprising.

Considering that the average total drive for all males is about 208 yards, I'd say you and the Callaway fitter are correct. In fact 210 to 220 yards is on the high side because people who bother to get fitted are likely ahead of the 208 yard average.

However, one thing you are not taking into account is the type of person answering on WRX and the ones who tend to follow topics like this one, and I'd guess that most of them are longer hitters. Which is why the average carry is 250.

Less than 200 people answered this poll of the tens of thousands who subscribe to WRX, and we end up with a number 20% higher than the average carry of all golfers is not surprising.

You are assuming I did not take this into account. However, I did, but did not feel the need to comment. I am a retired mathematician and when I look at the poll results, I see a beautiful DeMoivre Curve (Normal Curve). With grouped data, I can only estimate the mean and standard deviation. Without going into too much detail, the mean (~253) and deviation (~28) seem high to me. My conclusion, some responders overestimate their carry yardage, as I have stated in my first post.

*It is unlikely that some responders underestimated their carry yardage, but that is an assumption I am making based upon human experience.

I voted 220-240, but I'm not 100% sure that's accurate. I was indoors on Trackman this spring, my clubhead speed was between 105 and 110. I don't remember a ton of the carry numbers, but I think one was a smash factor of about 1.4 with a carry around 245 and total distance of 272?

I don't play a whole lot these days, so even at that swing speed, I probably don't hit it square enough to say that 240-260 would be average.

IF taking out the sub 200 group and above 300 group because one couldn’t factor those assumption with any meaningful calculation. Without each individual vote and specific number you’d have to estimate. Numbers diminish drastically after 280 one should assume the average of that group would be on the low end of range, maybe 285, also the 260-280 group wouldn’t be in the middle of the range and probably 267-268. Taking those into account would put the mean and standard deviation closer to 251 and 21. None of which seem high in my opinion.

But let’s not get into a mathematical debate based off assumptions..

Piretti Savona