Cleveland CBX wedges thoughts

klbcec

I’m ready for o go the CBX route. Playing off of a 46 degree PW, any opinions on going 52/56 or 52/58? I am looking for the 52 on full and long pitches and the 56 or 58 out of sand and green side. Thanks!

I would go 52-56. 56 will get you out of almost all bunkers and will launch like a 58 or 60 off of grass.

58 and 60 launch too high for my liking.

I’m ready for o go the CBX route. Playing off of a 46 degree PW, any opinions on going 52/56 or 52/58? I am looking for the 52 on full and long pitches and the 56 or 58 out of sand and green side. Thanks!

I would go 52-56. 56 will get you out of almost all bunkers and will launch like a 58 or 60 off of grass.

Personally, I could not get past the look of the 60. To me, it is just too bulky. I like the idea of these a bit more at say 46 or 50. And before I get accused of not giving them a chance, I own a 46, 50, 56, and 60.

Personally, I could not get past the look of the 60. To me, it is just too bulky. I like the idea of these a bit more at say 46 or 50. And before I get accused of not giving them a chance, I own a 46, 50, 56, and 60.

Chip and Pitch control and consistency with the 60 cbx?

Really would like to know - despite your reservations on the bulkiness

appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Really looking hard at these

My PW is 44 - I was thinking getting the 48 instead of the standard '50' gap wedge. I have 54 and 58 ping glides (like the 58, don't like the 54)

What would you do? 48 cbx or the 50cbx?

ditch the 44 PW and go 46/52 CBX to complement the 58 glide? Consistent 6 degree gapping.

Really looking hard at these

My PW is 44 - I was thinking getting the 48 instead of the standard '50' gap wedge. I have 54 and 58 ping glides (like the 58, don't like the 54)

What would you do? 48 cbx or the 50cbx?

My PW is 44 as well. I also have a PM Grind 60 that will be in the bag for a long time.

I ended up getting the 48 and 54 CBX wedges. I have been loving this combination ever since.

^This is what I am leaning towards. I can do more with a 48 than a 50 (bump and run will be a little easier), and the confidence with full shots will be there. I was hitting the set AW (Z355) terribly and it's so chunky and awkward for me.

Thanks to both replies. Anyone else feel free to offer suggestions...especially if you have the 48 or 50 CBX!!

Confidence....that what is is all about...Just picked up my Cleveland CBX 50, 54 and 58*. I love the sole of these wedges...the perimeter weighting all so improves chip and pitches for me...Before I had been playing the RTX-3 and although they were good wedges...I didn't feel a great with those wedges...CBX just fits into my game.

Aloha

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max, 10.5 deg,  UST Helium 5F3, Regula

5-Wood - Cobra LTDx Max,  16.5 deg, UST Helium 5F3, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 3 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 4 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 - 5 Hybrid, Recoil Dart 75gm, Regular

Irons - PXG 0311 XP Gen 3 - 5 thru PW, AW, Mistubishi MMT 70, Regular

Wedges - PXG 0311 Forged, 54* and 58*

Putter - Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 putter, 34* shaft

Balls - Callaway Chrome Soft X balls

Confidence....that what is is all about...Just picked up my Cleveland CBX 50, 54 and 58*. I love the sole of these wedges...the perimeter weighting all so improves chip and pitches for me...Before I had been playing the RTX-3 and although they were good wedges...I didn't feel a great with those wedges...CBX just fits into my game.

Aloha

i have the 50 and 56 .....feel the same.....holding out on the 60 so far....rtx-3 still.....we will see.....tying to hold out ...can see myself switching by mid-summer

how is the green side action?

worried for some reason...

thanks

Aloha

i have the 50 and 56 .....feel the same.....holding out on the 60 so far....rtx-3 still.....we will see.....tying to hold out ...can see myself switching by mid-summer

thanks

I have 46,50,54 &60. I love the 60.

Aloha

thanks

Would love to hear about it

what did you come from in the 60 and how does it perform on touch shots around green, etc etc

much appreciated

I have the 54. Ok on full shots but not great on chip shots. I will stick with it as a gap wedge but I will look for a more refined forged club as my 60. I like that it comes with a soft mid size grip.

Wilson Dynapwr Driver

Srixon ZX MK II 2 Hybrid

Cleveland Zipcore XL 5 Iron

Srixon ZX4 MK II Irons 6 - P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 4 - 48, 54, 60

Cleveland HB soft 8 putter 

Srixon Z Star ball

Aloha

thanks

Would love to hear about it

what did you come from in the 60 and how does it perform on touch shots around green, etc etc

much appreciated

I actually used a 64-degree Cleveland before this. I switched to the cbx's because the 64 was the only wedge i used around the greens. The rest were for full shots and the cbx are much better on full shots. Sooooo much better. The 60 around the greens feels big, awkward and clumsy compared to the 64. But the results are about the same. And again way better on 30-100 yards. I feel like i am getting more comfortable with the 60 around the greens every time out.

This might sound silly but the 64 is more fun. But my scores are lower so it's out of the bag. It's kind of like my 3 wood. ...i love hitting off the tee but lately I'm hitting my driver just as straight and quite a But farther so......

I went the 50 and 56 in the CBX. I could not stand the looks and feel of it in the 60* so I picked up another 60 PM grind.

But with the couple rounds I have with them so far they are great on full shots and pitch shots. But I think the 60 would be too bulky for the way I play that club. Lots of open face work with the 60 where the 50 & 56 are only ever played square faced for me.

I am not too impressed with much equipment anymore. I find that helping me make true improvements in my game are very minimal. These CBX wedges are a different story. I have never had so much fun with wedges before. I am now so confident pitching, chipping and in the sand. The turf interaction is perfect for my swing and the look and feel is as good as anything I have played. I bought the 54 and 58 and now have the 50 too. Well done Cleveland!

I totally agree with this- well said!

I am a mid capper and have been playing CBX 56/60 (Nippon Modus 125 wedge shafts) and RTX-3 CB 50 (Nippon 105 X) for 4 months, before that Vokey K grind 56/60. 6'3" with long arms and steep angle of attack. Often play at first light when conditions are wet and soft.

Overall, I have been extremely happy with all 3 wedges...especially the CBX on pitches and chips. I think they would be an asset to most low-mid cappers on full shots, short game shots, and in bunkers. The perimeter weighting gives you a ton of forgiveness on full shots. On short game shots I try to use as much of the bounce as possible and hit just a touch behind the ball. Where the CBX really shine for my method is the extremely wide sole (similar to K grind) helps you "skid" into the ball and get almost the same outcome as a crisp strike. Shots out of the sand are like cheating, really easy to do but you do give up a bit of control/feel.

Only a few cons and none are deal breakers for me. Size: they are big and clunky, much bigger behind the ball than I normally like. Cosmetics: lots of badging/paint fill I don't care for. Cavity: is a magnet for grass/dirt/crap and not easy to clean out on the fly. Feel: harder to tell a good strike from a so so one, but is an issue with all cast irons/wedges I have played (current irons are forged). But these perform so I can look past these issues.

Another interesting option that I will be testing soon is the Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth with Wide Soles.

I’ve used my new CBX 54 and 58 for five rounds and they are impressive clubs. Superb control and incredibly easy to hit. Long pitching is really fun, the way the ball checks. And side green chipping and pitching which has been my weakness for a long time has stopped being a nightmare. Lots of confidence with this club. And also great from the sand. The time has come when a wedge would help players to play better. Now the guys are really chunky, until you see the performance on the course and no longer care LOL.

I cant chip well with high lofted clubs. I usually brush under the ball too much, or the other 40% of the time I blade it. Need a lower lofted club to do most chipping. Short, close pin chips I'll suck it up and putt it (even through the rough) or still use a PW and hope to god it bounces once in the rough, slows, and trickles to the pin.

Chipping with high-lofted clubs is terrifying to me. Need to figure it out I suppose. What's the secret? Ball back in the stance?

The CBX is the real deal. I was shocked at how good they performed last year plus the dg115 stock shaft works great with these heads. Don't think you'll be disappointed. They are a little bigger no doubt but it's a awesome design that actually really does work well.

Ohhh, echoes of the past. The Cleveland CG14 was supposed to be an easy-to-use club, but turned out be one of the most popular Cleveland wedges of all times - pro and amateur.

If you play a basic square face setup, CBX is the wedge for you. (Note: CG14 offered more bounce variety than SBX)

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Finally did it. Ordered the 48 (left hand) because local golftown doesn't have it in stock. Online at Golftown it goes for $159CAD but I signed up for their 'leaderboard' Email on another account (-$25), bought a gift card from someone online (-$27 savings), and got the $25 bonus gift card since the wedge is part of the promo ($-25). Saved $77 on the new wedge.

Going to use it to replace my 50degree Srixon z355 approach wedge that isn't working for me. So pumped.

Have ping glide 54 and 58 already that are okay.

Aloha

thanks

How are you finding the 46?

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

Aloha

thanks

How are you finding the 46?

Use it mainly for full shots....very forgiving.

Ok. I’ve been reading these posts for awhile. I have had issues with my wedges after a three year layoff. Came back about five years ago and brought with me a case of the shanks. I have been averaging about 3 shanks a round with my wedges since around 2012/2013.

I used to be able to get up and down from Deleware (I live in WV) before I quit playing at the end of 2008. So any club that may give me a little confidence or remove some bad swings thoughts associated with it then I’m willing to try.

I ordered a LH 58* CBX. I got it in this week and was able to hit balls today for the first time since September.

This wedge is really forgiving. I compared it to my SM5 58* and it is more forgiving. Even if a put a bad swing on it (which was often when I first started hitting balls this morning) the wedge didn’t punish me much on distance or direction.

I did hit the ball higher like others have said but the ball still carried further than my SM5. The club feels like a cast club. I hit my Z765 PW and my 50 Fourteen gap wedge and they feel more of that forged blade feel. It doesn’t feel as good as those but it feels fine especially with the results that I was seeing. I also hit my Callaway CF16 approach wedge and it feels similar but not quite as soft as the CF16.

I hit a few shots out of the bunker and all of them came out easy. I hit some chips with it and they ran out a bit which is fine. I just need to spend some time chipping with it to dial it in.

So I came home and ordered a 58* to match it. I may even look into the 50* later. Would also like to say that I didn’t shank the ball at all today so maybe I should quit while I’m ahead!

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Tensei 60TX
3 wood: Ping G425 14.5* Tour 75X
Hybrid: Ping G430 19* Kaili 85X
Utility: Srixon ZX 4-21.5* Project X LZ 6.5
Irons: Srixon ZX7 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Gap Wedge: Srixon ZX7 PW bent to 50*
Sand & Lob Wedges: Vokey SM8s - 54/12 D, 58/10 M
Putter: 2014 Scotty Cameron Fastback 20 gram weights

Ball: Titleist Pro VIx Left Dash