2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Cleveland CBX wedges thoughts

klbcec

I’ve recently put the CBX 50,54,58* wedges in my bag. I play with blades but have always struggled with short game. They’ve been a godsend. So good on full shots, finesse chips and pitches are also very easy to pull off. I’ve also been able to open the face with the 58 and hit delicate flops around the green.

This is EXACTLY my experience

the accuracy on half to full shots, any kind of trouble and the versatility on delicate green-side once you accept the larger footprint are incredible

This may have been asked earlier, but are any low handicap players using these wedges.....I have a bunch of credit at a course that has a bunch of these in stock and was thinking of giving them a try as i have been struggling with my wedge game.

Not sure how low of a cap you are looking for, but I am an 8 and play the CBX 58.10. Out of the sand and full swing shots from about 95-100, the wedge is automatic, period. From the greenside bunkers, I feel like I have so much control. I have a 51 degree wedge that matches my iron set and I only carry the 58 after that. I was coming from wedges that have the versatile grinds like the TM ATV, or the Cally PM grind so I could always hit a variety of shots with it. That being said, the CBX did take some getting used to on other greenside chips and pitches. I needed to stop thinking and just let the wide sole just do its job. I would think it'd be worth a try with your course credit, if your wedge game is the weak link like mine.

/ What's in my bag is more than meets the eye /

I just got a CBX 52 and 56. I did not get a chance to use my 52, but I used the 56 on quite a few shots yesterday and I absolutely love it! It's very forgiving and easy to get the ball up into the air. I came away very impressed. I've been struggling with getting my chips and pitches close to the hole - just really inconsistent between being short and long. After one round, I'm convinced these are wedges that will help improve my game.

This may have been asked earlier, but are any low handicap players using these wedges.....I have a bunch of credit at a course that has a bunch of these in stock and was thinking of giving them a try as i have been struggling with my wedge game.

I am 12 but short game is where I shine. I'm a bit of wedge freak and test most wedges on the market every season.

CBX is nice wedge BUT, it tends to pull left on full shots. They have slight offset and little clunky around the greens, but easy to hit. If it didn't pull left, I would bag em'.

Side note: DG 115 shaft is just as good as S200, but plays about 1/4 weaker in flex.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

I am 12 but short game is where I shine. I'm a bit of wedge freak and test most wedges on the market every season.

CBX is nice wedge BUT, it tends to pull left on full shots. They have slight offset and little clunky around the greens, but easy to hit. If it didn't pull left, I would bag em'.

Side note: DG 115 shaft is just as good as S200, but plays about 1/4 weaker in flex.

The club doesn't pull the shots left. You pull the shots left.

LOL! True story. Although it is good to always turn over the wrists through impact, it sometimes is a good idea to weaken the grip. Weaken your grip with clubs that have more offset, duh! lol

These clubs are made for players more like myself, who do not yet know how to or are not coordinated enough to turn the wrists over but I naturally hit the ball with an open face, even with a strong grip. Great club for me! ha ha

I’ve tested 50* wedges at the range and on the course at my club for two days.

SM7, Scor, CBX, S18 and Ping Glide 2.0. On full shots, CBX wants to pull left but had not issues with other wedges pulling left. Every year, I test just about every wedge on the market.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

I just got a 54 & 58.

Now I am thinking about adding the 50. I have been very impressed. I tend to hit my wedges all over the face with the 3/4-full shot because I am often playing from less than ideal lies. (I am really good at getting in trouble) and these perform great from anywhere on the face. Within reason.

My CBX review after finally get a chance to play them a bit outside…..

For reference I have the 50* and 56* in the CBX Wedges and a Callaway PM grind for my 60*. Irons are Taylormade M2 (2017) with the old Black Gold shafts in them.

Both wedges feel just like an extension of my irons on full swing shots. They blended perfect with the PW in yardage gaps and I have installed the MCC Align grips on all irons and the two CBX wedges so in hand they feel very similar. The CBX wedges have a ton more spin to them over the PW in my set (obviously) but ball flight is just a continue from the PW. I hit the ball very high anyway and these just blend perfect as I had hoped.

On the mid range pitch shots (for me 20 – 70 yards they really shine. Very easy to hit and clean contact will reward you with decent spin. They also seem to have much more “pop” to them so you can use much less swing to get more distance out of them when needed. But after getting the distance things figured out they are a great fit for these types of shots. Low, high it doesn’t matter. Simple adjustments and they just seem put the ball where you want it. I played a set of SM6’s last season and I see no real difference in spin here but lots less effort to get a ball to go the same distance.

The biggest change for me came around the greens on those shorter (20 yards and in) shots. For those of you who chip with your 6,7,8 irons around the green this will make the most sense. These wedges take much less swing to get the ball going. Very light swings will produce much more than a traditional wedge. My best guess vs the Sm6’s would be to say that a 50% SM6 swing takes more like 30% with the CBX yet generates what seems like nearly the same amount of ball spin. And that is the incredible part. It’s much easier to control a slower less backswing wedge and so far I’m hitting wedges much more precise. I have always been a good wedge player but that takes a lot of hours of range work every year. I’m also a player who started last year playing a bit more with wedge side spin and see no issue hitting those same shots with the CBX. But it has taken some time to get a new set of lighter swings worked out for the difference in ball distance with these.

Now my only complaint with the CBX wedges and this is very “first world problems”. They seem to hold a lot more grass dirt to them on the face and require a bit more effort to keep them clean during a round. With the SM6’s my dry club brush would clean them pretty well all the time but these seem to need a wet towel to keep them clean during a round. Just an observation so far.

I’ll keep reporting back as the season goes on.

I just got out with mine today. Thanks to early season bad decisions I left myself about 15 yards from the green to a shot sided pin on 5 holes today. Stuck all 5 of them within 1’-6’ Very impressed.

Too bad my putter (and general golf game) was crap today. 3 pars 3 bogies and 3 triple bogies. And 9 doubles ?

First round of the season in the books.

Really liking the 58 and 54. Contemplating the 50

I won a CBX in the contest on here (Thanks Cleveland and WRX) and was able to custom configure it. I went with a 56 degree wedge with a KBS tour black wedge flex shaft and MCC grip.

The club is great! Very easy to hit and makes all kinds of shots very easy, from full shots to around the green chips.

The club is so good that I told my wife to try it out - it's now 'hers' and resides in her bag after this weekend. We walked 9 holes and her short game was the best its ever been. She has trouble with high trajectory and flop shots around the greens, carrying greenside sand traps, etc - and she was able to make all kinds of shots that she's never been able to before.

We went to golf galaxy and bought her a 52 degree to make a matching set since she liked it so much!

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I just spent quite a bit of time comparing these to MD4's and SM7's and was amazed how much I liked them.......For me, they out performed the others by quite a bit.....Just one mans opinion of course. Point of reference, I am around a one to two h-cap at the moment, but wedge play and putting are the weakest parts of my game.

Now have approximately 10 rounds in with the 52 degree CBX I won in the WRX/Cleveland drawing. Much of my experience with the CBX mirrors exactly what others on this thread have said. Some of my thoughts on the CBX.

1.) Had I gone looking to purchase new wedges, I would never have considered the CBX. At first glance, it just looks so much difference that a "real wedge" "should! :>) Every day in the bag, the CBX becomes a little more beautiful and saddens me that I did not find it sooner.

2.) The wedge I ordered/received is an extension of my iron set, the way it performs. I play the iBlades with KBS Tour S 120 shafts. Ordered the CBX with a KBX 610 Wedge 120 shaft. The weight and feel of the club through the ball seems no different than my irons. On full shots, that is an huge asset.

3.) Our course has postage stamp greens. That fact keeps our GIR stats near where some would define as pathetic. Where a good shot might end up on a larger green, we could be in a plethora of different grass heights. The CBX does a commendable job cutting through the deeper stuff while performing admirable from the fringe.

4.) Had difficulty getting used to "tossing" the ball closer to the pin than had been accustomed to. This thing would check up a Top Flite on a gymnasium floor!! (Well, I might have exaggerated a bit there!)

5.) The sole has worked fine for me. I can tip it up on its toe and chip from hardpan. I can aim it at the pin from the fairway and watch it fly. We're quickly learning each other's idiosyncrasies and developing the trust needed in the short game.

6.) Did not feel comfortable going out immediately and ordering the 58 degree to compliment the 52. No way should one handicap themselves with a cavity back lob wed.............................. The 58 will be ordered this coming week!

As with any driver, fairway, iron set, wedge, or putter "one size does not fit all". For those comfortable with the more traditional wedge designs, stay with what works for you. However, if you are considering new wedges or your current wedges are playing mind games with you I would certainly recommend giving the CBX line from Cleveland a try.

Now have approximately 10 rounds in with the 52 degree CBX I won in the WRX/Cleveland drawing. Much of my experience with the CBX mirrors exactly what others on this thread have said. Some of my thoughts on the CBX.

1.) Had I gone looking to purchase new wedges, I would never have considered the CBX. At first glance, it just looks so much difference that a "real wedge" "should! :>) Every day in the bag, the CBX becomes a little more beautiful and saddens me that I did not find it sooner.

2.) The wedge I ordered/received is an extension of my iron set, the way it performs. I play the iBlades with KBS Tour S 120 shafts. Ordered the CBX with a KBX 610 Wedge 120 shaft. The weight and feel of the club through the ball seems no different than my irons. On full shots, that is an huge asset.

3.) Our course has postage stamp greens. That fact keeps our GIR stats near where some would define as pathetic. Where a good shot might end up on a larger green, we could be in a plethora of different grass heights. The CBX does a commendable job cutting through the deeper stuff while performing admirable from the fringe.

4.) Had difficulty getting used to "tossing" the ball closer to the pin than had been accustomed to. This thing would check up a Top Flite on a gymnasium floor!! (Well, I might have exaggerated a bit there!)

5.) The sole has worked fine for me. I can tip it up on its toe and chip from hardpan. I can aim it at the pin from the fairway and watch it fly. We're quickly learning each other's idiosyncrasies and developing the trust needed in the short game.

6.) Did not feel comfortable going out immediately and ordering the 58 degree to compliment the 52. No way should one handicap themselves with a cavity back lob wed.............................. The 58 will be ordered this coming week!

As with any driver, fairway, iron set, wedge, or putter "one size does not fit all". For those comfortable with the more traditional wedge designs, stay with what works for you. However, if you are considering new wedges or your current wedges are playing mind games with you I would certainly recommend giving the CBX line from Cleveland a try.

I still have mine but it is going to the backup set with my JPX EZ forged. I'm perfectly happy with it but it doesn't flow well from an offset perspective from my AP2s. Great wedge nonetheless.

I won a CBX in the contest on here (Thanks Cleveland and WRX) and was able to custom configure it. I went with a 56 degree wedge with a KBS tour black wedge flex shaft and MCC grip.

The club is great! Very easy to hit and makes all kinds of shots very easy, from full shots to around the green chips.

The club is so good that I told my wife to try it out - it's now 'hers' and resides in her bag after this weekend. We walked 9 holes and her short game was the best its ever been. She has trouble with high trajectory and flop shots around the greens, carrying greenside sand traps, etc - and she was able to make all kinds of shots that she's never been able to before.

We went to golf galaxy and bought her a 52 degree to make a matching set since she liked it so much!

This is good to hear. I just purchased the 56 for my wife for Mothers Day and ordered the gap wedge. I think they will be perfect for her. Now the bad part is after reading this thread from start to finish, I will probably stop by and buy one for myself as well.

In my first round of the year yesterday, I found the CBX 52 and 56 aren't nearly as forgiving as I'd hoped—because they still have a hosel...sigh.

Appears my early season wedge play needs forgiveness that only a Papal indulgence can provide, I'm afraid.

You can probably still find the F2 "hosel-less" wedges with face forward technology. The other guy who pulled the CBX's, because they have some offset, might look at these as well. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I am loving the CBW wedges. 50* for full shots in the 130 yard range and long pitches, where it was right on the money this past weekend. 54* for full shots in the 100 yard-120 yard range, and mid-range 1/2 to 3/4 pitches and chips, and again, did what it was supposed to do. 58* for green-side pitches and chips, bunker shots, and flops over bunkers and such, all of which went great. On a couple of holes, I need to really open up the face of my 58* in order to hit a high flop from green-side rough over a bunker, and land it soft, and there was no issue with the CBX. Really great wedges.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

• 2 weeks later...

I just got a CBX 52/11 to replace my old CG16 52/10. I spent some time around the practice green today and I am very impressed. It seems like a do it all wedge with a very versatile sole. I was able to open it up and hit some high shots that I wouldn't have attempted with my old wedge. It just inspires confidence.

Might have to get the 56 if this one proves out.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Couple of people asked about low caps playing these wedges. Thought I’d give my findings as a +2 marker.

Took out my partners CBX 50* wedge with the stock graphite shaft to hit a few shots with if I was within 100-115m. I holed out with it from 104m with my 2nd shot of the day with it. Sent it 4m past and it sucked back center cup.

Played around with short pitch/chip shots and it absolutely shined. Tons of spin with reliable turf interaction. Currently pondering getting a 50 and 55 for myself. Very impressed

I was one of the fortunate ones who won a CBX wedge. Went of the 50* with Aerotech i95 shaft and MCC grip. Absolutely love the club. Due to travel and weather had not played in 4 weeks prior to today. Use it for full shots and shots around the green. Hit a few shots out of greenside rough and was amazed at the results. Also hit a couple of chips that would normally be chunks only to see them run up to the pin.

Am trying to decide if I want to order the 56 or 58 to complement it.