Tiger cleared for full golf activity

Shilgy

What? are we talking about the same player? 13 win rory? seriously? Spieth has more will in his pinky than Rory has in his whole body

Will, that Schopenhauerian meaning of life is a tough nut to crack. Not something that is easily defined and to be put on a scale of low/high. A lot of guys simply wants to much, gets frustrated and fails. Spieth masters this balance to perfection. I love his way of muttering "bounce left" or so when he his one of his righties. He cold bloodly wants to win and shows frustration only after his losses.

Rory has always seemed to me like a typical friendly Irishman that happens to have the best swing in the world. He did not ask any trainers what he needed to do to become numero uno. Sometimes it seems to me that he did it just to satisfy his parents who gave like their life up to him.

Tiger had both. The swing ability and the winner's brain.

Justin Thomas is few scandinavians favourite with that cocky attitude, but he do seem to have both the will and the swinging ability to become a true numero uno. We have not had one since Tiger. Guys that wins four straight or more in a row.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for back surgeons or experts. How much will that fusion surgery impact how fast he can swing?

Limits rotation a bit but minimal, speed won't be affected much when strength is fully back, but other lumbar discs will be under more stress.

Unfortunately if the cause of his injuries isn't corrected, he will injure the other discs eventually, but he may have a run hopefully.

So here is a question, it seems like all the pain and problems he was having were in the area that has now been fused. Those problems seemed to come about from the foley swing which he is no longer doing. Hypothetically speaking he should be good to go now right?

The reason he went to Foley was to develop a swing that would protect his already hurting back.

Didn't work.

Nope I don't think so. Pretty sure he talked about going to Foley because he wasn't happy with how he was hitting it with Haney and he wanted to "protect the knee". I don't ever remember protecting his back being a thing back then.

Correct. Back didn’t get hurt until sept 2013 (although knowing tiger and his secrecy, could have started acting up earlier that season and he just wouldn’t tell anyone)

Whoever said Tiger should just play majors and WGCs......hate to break it to you

but Tiger won't be playing any WGCs until he gets his OWGR back up high enough.

Also, this (2018) will be the last year of his US Open exemption. After this year he'll have

to qualify like everyone else who hasn't won it in the past 10 years.

With all that said, I am pulling for him big time to win a lot and get back to #1.

I'm surprised this is being glossed over. He's not eligible for the WGC's and would take a win (or two?) to become so...

I just want to see him play golf again

Same here. The game needs the aura.

Not me. I thoroughly enjoyed watching golf this year - WITHOUT TIGER.

You must not have seen Tiger in his prime. He owned it.

Personally, I am sick of the bizarre esprit de corps among the young players. What's next a Strawberry Shortcake tea party in the parking lot?

Have to agree Ferg. It comes off as fake to me that all the new guys hold hands and love each other. Rickie seems genuine. But I also think it's why he isn't a closer. Jordan? Nah. He's a baby faced assasin. And I think Thomas doesn't hide it well. He wants so badly to let it out and scream blank you blankers at the top of his lungs when he makes a putt to win. But he can't. Why ? Today's media would eat him alive. For this I don't respect these kids like I did tiger Phil and Sergio. Now I'm sure several will call out their short comings and go " respect " wtf? It isn't about good or bad. It's about being real. And being pals with everyone isn't real. I don't buy it. And if by some miracle it is real it's a sad state for competition. Taking turns winning isn't competition. Someone has to be the front runner. That's just human nature. Someone will always be much better. Someone will be lead dog. And then the pack will be the pack. Right now we have all pack and no alpha. There must be balance and it isn't there now. Jordan Thomas or DJ could be alphas. But one has to step on someone's throat at some point and be the bad guy to assert dominance . and then has to back it up. Doesn't have to be a big show either. Just the little things that jack and tiger said that let you know they knew they were the best. That's what's missing. Now we have all this " yea these guys are good. It's anyone race " crap.

I understand what you are saying that golf could use someone to step up and assert dominance. The problem is it's not that easy. A guy like Tiger was being trained early on as a golf "Green Beret". He had more shots in the bag than any other competitor. His mental toughness would allow him to endure the most extreme situations. He could be the longest off the tee and he could have the best short game..and he could manufacture almost any shot that was imaginable and humanly possible to pull off. He could do it when it counted...he could do it BETTER when it counted. He could do it over the course of a decade.

Who has all of those characteristics now? Who has most of them? Speith and Day seem to have the highest percentage of them and there are other guys with absurd talent or length (Rory and DJ) etc. Do any of them have the consistency to keep it going for several years as opposed to a "hot stretch". Who's mind is in the same stratosphere to want to be the GOAT? I would put my money on Spieth I guess...I think he just lacks a little bit of length.

Until then I would love to see Tiger get a few more wins and break Snead's record. Maybe 1 or 2 more majors would be nice. Good for the game I think if either of these things happen.

During a casual conversation on the driving range that day, I asked Woods if he had seen an interesting Golf Digest story from the summer in which Hall of Famers Lee Trevino and Lanny Wadkins -- both of whom endured serious back surgeries -- were bullish on his return.

As soon as it was referenced, Woods acknowledged the positives of his situation and immediately went into a medical explanation about how the fusion of the L-5 and S-1 vertebrae (performed on April 19 by Dr. Richard Guyer at the Texas Back Institute Center for Disc Replacement) was in an area of the lower back where there was little rotation -- and thus affirming their positive outlook.

While he was far from making any bold predictions, Woods seemed at peace. He recounted how there were times when he couldn't get out of bed because the pain associated with the disc and nerve damage was so severe. He let on that he wasn't always the most forthcoming about his situation, and that when he played that one round in Dubai -- a birdie-free 77 that turned out to be his last competitive round of golf before his current break -- he was a mess.

He took hope from the fact that the latest surgery -- quite serious and in no way guaranteeing a golf future -- was at least allowing him to live life without pain.

http://www.espn.com/...t-twitter-video

This is the scenario that once again comes to mind if Tiger gets well enough to return to competitive golf:

Long par 5, sunny day, paired with DJ and Rory. DJ busts one out there 360. Noisy crowd applause. At least one "Baba-booey!" Rory steps up and hammers one a yard past DJ. Crowd gets really fired up, a few "Mashed Potatoeees!", etc. Tiger steps up and hits a new style finesse drive 280 down the middle?

If he starts taking those huge aggressive swipes at the ball, especially early on, it's all going to come to a screeching halt very quickly. Just can't see Tiger playing a Jim Furyk or Paul Goydos style of golf....

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

This is the scenario that once again comes to mind if Tiger gets well enough to return to competitive golf:

Long par 5, sunny day, paired with DJ and Rory. DJ busts one out there 360. Noisy crowd applause. At least one "Baba-booey!" Rory steps up and hammers one a yard past DJ. Crowd gets really fired up, a few "Mashed Potatoeees!", etc. Tiger steps up and hits a new style finesse drive 280 down the middle?

If he starts taking those huge aggressive swipes at the ball, especially early on, it's all going to come to a screeching halt very quickly. Just can't see Tiger playing a Jim Furyk or Paul Goydos style of golf....

280?!

I hope he can get his SS to at least 115. With the right set up, that should *carry* around 290.

But, you make a could point. DJ/Rory are carrying 310 at 120mph, I think. So, he definitely needs to try and check his ego.

With the amount of shots in Tiger's (old bag) including but not limited to shot shaping, short game escapes, clutch putting, experience and knowledge, mental focus above all others etc. I think he could still win as a mid range distance guy off the tee. The intimidation is long gone...it's going to be more about the rest of his arsenal. If healthy I think he can win a few more tourneys. I think he knows he's not going to bomb it past DJ anymore. There will be times he's going to have to let it rip though...so it's definitely a concern.

280?!

I hope he can get his SS to at least 115. With the right set up, that should *carry* around 290.

But, you make a could point. DJ/Rory are carrying 310 at 120mph, I think. So, he definitely needs to try and check his ego.

if he is smart...and he may not be lol..drop to a 3 wood. make birdie with your wedge.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

280?!

if he is smart...and he may not be lol..drop to a 3 wood. make birdie with your wedge.

In 2013, he averaged 293 off the tee (total distance). I expect him to be around there now. His driving overall was pretty average, -.142 SG off the tee.

But, he gained 1.5 strokes on approaches (1st), was ranked 4rth in par 5 scoring average, and ranked well in long (225+ yd) approaches.

It will depend on the hole. I agree that he can't keep up with the biggest hitters on the longest holes.

But, TW will still be going after par 5s. Thats his game.

Don't forget the driving distance stat is only taken on a few holes each round and he doesn't always hit driver...I remember him popping a few out there 320 plus still after the last surgery....Also, don't forget that he struggled with his driving a lot recently, leading to weak hits to the right into the rough or hooks left into the trees, etc...which also affects driving distance when you lose carry from a bad hit but also the 20 plus yards of roll on tour.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

I love watching golf...but the only one I can watch now is Rory because he genuinely wants to beat you like Tiger did. The young guys now aren't in the same caliber as Tiger....He would pull off shots that nobody else would even try....8 iron 200 yards over water from fairway bunker to a tucked right pin to 15 ft, that 100 yard sliced 3 wood from like 260, numerous crazy flops, etc. The young guys are good and ok to watch but i often find myself falling asleep when they are on because it's simply not the same caliber of golf. There is no real excitement with a few moments here and there, but that may be partially because i think most of them are way overrated and Spieth just annoys me.

On a side note...I don't see Tiger just making a smooth swing...nobody on tour just swings smooth to find fairways...it may look smooth due to proper sequencing and having an efficient swing, but not a single person on tour swings smooth off the tee.....Swinging easy makes it easier to make a bad swing as you have more time to make compensations and that's what they don't want...not to mention, nobody will give up 20+ yards just to hit the fairway unless there is water or a hazard in play 300 yards out that they can't carry. This misnomer needs to go the way of the dodo bird.

What? are we talking about the same player? 13 win rory? seriously? Spieth has more will in his pinky than Rory has in his whole body

Also the bolded we see every week now. Doesnt diminish tigers shots but open your eyes youre missing great golf

Bingo.

Are we talking about the Rory McIlroy that flounces around like a hormone-ravaged teenager and looks ready to give up as soon as things aren't going his way?

McIlroy did have some fire in him at one point in his career, I'll say that much, but for whatever reason that has been well and truly snuffed out (with the exception of the Ryder Cup which is odd given it's an exhibition match). Half the time he doesn't even look like he wants to be playing, let alone having an overwhelming will to win.

Spieth may be more firery recently because he has overall been playing well.....give him 1 bad year and see how he reacts...I've seen him give up plenty of times on the course mid-round when things don't go his way. Again, he is good but nobody on tour really brings the excitement. I do like DJ just because of how good of a driver he is but he is dumber than a box of rocks, though talented as anyone. Let me put it this way....If I had 1 shot to give to someone to save my life, I would give it to Rory or Tiger....When they are on, nobody can/could touch them and clutch as can be. Everyone is different in what they like, but Tiger in his prime was 100x more exciting that now...nobody got as fired up as him and nobody brought roars through the crowd like him...i've been there for numerous occasions both for Tiger and the current players and the loudness is night and day.

What's Tigers status for all four majors going forwards? I see he exempt for 2018 us open as a winner in 08 but what about the PGA champ? Is it the same? Lifetime exemptions for masters and British open?

Lifetime exemption for the PGA Championship as well.

Yeah, it'll be funny to see how it plays out with the USGA after 2018, if TW can't play his way in over the course of the next year and a half. On principle, they're total sticks in the mud about handing out exemptions (e.g., Steve Stricker last year). It'd be just like the USGA to make TW go out and play in regional qualifying with all the vanity caps, lol.

I don't believe there are exemptions given out for any of the WGCs. He might get high enough in FedEx cup points to get in with a handful of top 3 finishes, but like someone said above, he'd basically need to win at least once. One funny quirk at the Bridgestone: they offer entry based on team events going back four years. TW was eligible to play in the '17 Bridgestone because he was on the '13 President's Cup team, but he's not eligible for the '18 Bridgestone because he wasn't on the '14 Ryder Cup.

What's Tigers status for all four majors going forwards? I see he exempt for 2018 us open as a winner in 08 but what about the PGA champ? Is it the same? Lifetime exemptions for masters and British open?

Yeah, it'll be funny to see how it plays out with the USGA after 2018, if TW can't play his way in over the course of the next year and a half. On principle, they're total sticks in the mud about handing out exemptions (e.g., Steve Stricker last year). It'd be just like the USGA to make TW go out and play in regional qualifying with all the vanity caps, lol.

I don't believe there are exemptions given out for any of the WGCs. He might get high enough in FedEx cup points to get in with a handful of top 3 finishes, but like someone said above, he'd basically need to win at least once. One funny quirk at the Bridgestone: they offer entry based on team events going back four years. TW was eligible to play in the '17 Bridgestone because he was on the '13 President's Cup team, but he's not eligible for the '18 Bridgestone because he wasn't on the '14 Ryder Cup.

Lol...I would gladly pay to watch Tiger qualify with "1" handicaps lol.....Over/under on their score in Tigers pairing I'm setting at 90 lol

I love watching golf...but the only one I can watch now is Rory because he genuinely wants to beat you like Tiger did. The young guys now aren't in the same caliber as Tiger....He would pull off shots that nobody else would even try....8 iron 200 yards over water from fairway bunker to a tucked right pin to 15 ft, that 100 yard sliced 3 wood from like 260, numerous crazy flops, etc. The young guys are good and ok to watch but i often find myself falling asleep when they are on because it's simply not the same caliber of golf. There is no real excitement with a few moments here and there, but that may be partially because i think most of them are way overrated and Spieth just annoys me.

On a side note...I don't see Tiger just making a smooth swing...nobody on tour just swings smooth to find fairways...it may look smooth due to proper sequencing and having an efficient swing, but not a single person on tour swings smooth off the tee.....Swinging easy makes it easier to make a bad swing as you have more time to make compensations and that's what they don't want...not to mention, nobody will give up 20+ yards just to hit the fairway unless there is water or a hazard in play 300 yards out that they can't carry. This misnomer needs to go the way of the dodo bird.

Also the bolded we see every week now. Doesnt diminish tigers shots but open your eyes youre missing great golf

Bingo.

Are we talking about the Rory McIlroy that flounces around like a hormone-ravaged teenager and looks ready to give up as soon as things aren't going his way?

McIlroy did have some fire in him at one point in his career, I'll say that much, but for whatever reason that has been well and truly snuffed out (with the exception of the Ryder Cup which is odd given it's an exhibition match). Half the time he doesn't even look like he wants to be playing, let alone having an overwhelming will to win.

Spieth may be more firery recently because he has overall been playing well.....give him 1 bad year and see how he reacts...I've seen him give up plenty of times on the course mid-round when things don't go his way. Again, he is good but nobody on tour really brings the excitement. I do like DJ just because of how good of a driver he is but he is dumber than a box of rocks, though talented as anyone. Let me put it this way....If I had 1 shot to give to someone to save my life, I would give it to Rory or Tiger....When they are on, nobody can/could touch them and clutch as can be. Everyone is different in what they like, but Tiger in his prime was 100x more exciting that now...nobody got as fired up as him and nobody brought roars through the crowd like him...i've been there for numerous occasions both for Tiger and the current players and the loudness is night and day.

I would probably disagree on Rory vs Spieth in terms of "saving my life" with one shot. I would pick Jordan. Tiger would be obvious but Mcilroy has been inconsistent at best with the most potential on tour. Spieth has limited ability and gotten SO much more out of it. If Spieth had Rory or DJ length it would be all over IMO. Confidence is an amazing thing and the only thing holding Speith back is not being able to bomb it past the others IMO. He's not Tiger or Phil in short game but he's not bad at all. You don't have to listen long in a presser to see the confidence in Speith. You get mixed messages from DJ and Rory.

I actually like Jason Day to put it all together (after Spieth). He's looked to guys like Tiger to learn about what it takes to be the best. He wants it!! You have to want it.

Quick google search reveals Tiger says he is finally pain free a lot. He said it this spring, and then got busted for being loaded on pain meds not long after. He said it at the 2014 Hero. He said it in 2012. He said it in Dubai before he withdrew last winter. And on and on.

Why do people believe this guy every time he says that this is the time?

Bingo.

I would probably disagree on Rory vs Spieth in terms of "saving my life" with one shot. I would pick Jordan. Tiger would be obvious but Mcilroy has been inconsistent at best with the most potential on tour. Spieth has limited ability and gotten SO much more out of it. If Spieth had Rory or DJ length it would be all over IMO. Confidence is an amazing thing and the only thing holding Speith back is not being able to bomb it past the others IMO. He's not Tiger or Phil in short game but he's not bad at all. You don't have to listen long in a presser to see the confidence in Speith. You get mixed messages from DJ and Rory.

I actually like Jason Day to put it all together (after Spieth). He's looked to guys like Tiger to learn about what it takes to be the best. He wants it!! You have to want it.

I can honestly say I have not seen two players on tour who had more drive for history than I saw or still see in Tiger and Phil. I think Spieth is similar but I don't see the same drive in guys like Rory, DJ, Day, etc. A drive for history is much different than a drive for money or ranking or a single season award. It's something that is in your soul as a golfer. When you want to break records rather than earn money it becomes a different approach.

Quick google search reveals Tiger says he is finally pain free a lot. He said it this spring, and then got busted for being loaded on pain meds not long after. He said it at the 2014 Hero. He said it in 2012. He said it in Dubai before he withdrew last winter. And on and on.

Good point on the pain meds. He can only become a great golfer again if he is not addicted and his focus is totally on the prize....like it used to be.

No point in TW playing anymore US Opens. He's not going to win one. When did anyone even win a US Open at his age. Gotta be like only maybe 1 or 2 in the past 50 years.

He could win an Open Championship. Maybe a Masters.

First order of business would be making a cut. Which, I imagine, would entail hitting a fairway. So, lot's of challenges to overcome before we see the red shirt late on Sunday at a major ; )

gal-70smets-21-jpg.jpg

Good point on the pain meds. He can only become a great golfer again if he is not addicted and his focus is totally on the prize....like it used to be.

It's easier to believe this time, since with a fusion, there's no more disc pinching the sciatica and all the other nerves, so no nerve pain.

There can be muscle pain/tension, but nerve pain is like a jolt.

No point in TW playing anymore US Opens. He's not going to win one. When did anyone even win a US Open at his age. Gotta be like only maybe 1 or 2 in the past 50 years.

He could win an Open Championship. Maybe a Masters.

First order of business would be making a cut. Which, I imagine, would entail hitting a fairway. So, lot's of challenges to overcome before we see the red shirt late on Sunday at a major ; )

These might be old numbers but...

As near as I can tell there have been at least 3 winners past the age of 43 and 4 months in the USO. In the Masters only 1. In the PGA 3 and in the British 2.

The numbers suggest an age of 43 and 4 months as the cutoff but they are the top 10 oldest winners in majors unless something has changed to affect their positions recently.

So it is conceivable that Tiger can still do it but it has to happen almost now. Phil doesn't seem to stand a chance (at 47) unless he becomes the oldest or second oldest to ever win a major. Only Boros has won a major at a higher age than Phil is now.

280?!

In 2013, he averaged 293 off the tee (total distance). I expect him to be around there now. His driving overall was pretty average, -.142 SG off the tee.

But, he gained 1.5 strokes on approaches (1st), was ranked 4rth in par 5 scoring average, and ranked well in long (225+ yd) approaches.

It will depend on the hole. I agree that he can't keep up with the biggest hitters on the longest holes.

But, TW will still be going after par 5s. Thats his game.

Exactly. He wasn't winning in 2013 because he was driving it a long way. His wins in 2013-2013 featured a lot of 3 woods off the tee. So if he can hit his driver at least as far as he hit his 3 woods those years he should be ok.

Whoever said Tiger should just play majors and WGCs......hate to break it to you

but Tiger won't be playing any WGCs until he gets his OWGR back up high enough.

Also, this (2018) will be the last year of his US Open exemption. After this year he'll have

to qualify like everyone else who hasn't won it in the past 10 years.

With all that said, I am pulling for him big time to win a lot and get back to #1.

You think Tiger won't get special exception whenever he wants?