Callaway's new Apex MB and X Forged irons

GolfWRX

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First day on the course with the x-forged and project X 6.0. I am very excited about the performance today of the new irons. We had a 15 to 17mph wind all round and I was able to control my flight so much better today. I feel justified with my purchase so far due to distance consistency and staying in control of ball height. WOOHOOO that was fun today...all except for the 3 wedge shots I totally pulled up on but that goes in the user error column LOL. At least they were all on the same hole after being 119 out on the drive and made a putt so hung a little double bogey on the card just to remind me to jeep my head down on partial swings!!!! At this point I will call this shaft and head a perfect fit for this old guy!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Just recieved the X Forged, looking forward to see how they differ

( if any ) from the X Forged 13's.

I would be really interested on hearing that report since I am playing the X-Forged 13s myself. As a lifelong blade player mostly Macgregor they are the only forged CB type irons I have ever liked. If I did switch I would lean towards maybe a combo set of X forged 5 and 6 irons and MB 7 thru PW

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Still haven't seen any MB sets. All retailers have the same 7 iron demo, but no sets. Plenty of X Forged sets though. Did they change the sale date on the MBs?

nothing has changed on launch date. The MB set is not a big seller in stores, but the X forged should be a good addition. The retail stores don't want to tie up inventory dollars stocking the MB sets when they may only sell 1 or 2 sets in 6 months. Plus on Callawaygolf.com, it is showing the MB's as custom order only.

I would be really interested on hearing that report since I am playing the X-Forged 13s myself. As a lifelong blade player mostly Macgregor they are the only forged CB type irons I have ever liked. If I did switch I would lean towards maybe a combo set of X forged 5 and 6 irons and MB 7 thru PW

I have owned and played both the 13's and the recent release. I have played a lot of blades and forged CB type irons through the years. I can't say that from memory there is a whole lot to stand out between the new heads vs the 13's except I feel the new ones might let you get away with a groove or two thinner strikes. In saying that, I should add that I am not "head sensitive" as long as it is smallish and not a lot of offset so take this post with a grain of salt. I am much more picky about what shaft brings out the traits I need from the particular head. When it comes down to x-forged vs MB, Titleist CB vs MB, etc., my game probably is more receptive of the CB style. Not because of the performance on mis-hits, but more because of the performance on the good hits when I am wanting to move the ball. I tend to overcook my planned fades and draws when working the ball with MB styles, while the CB style seems to tame that a little.

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

my xforged set should be here monday... Super excited

The fun things in life....excited for you!

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Why do even Callaway forged player irons look like they have WAY more Offset than they really even have? Optical illusion.

Do you see it at address or just in pics? I really don't notice it over the ball. If a club is offset too much all I can think about over the ball is "don't hook, don't hook...you just hooked it". The x-forged never gave me this feeling?

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I've never played any Callaway irons, but took the plunge this week. Ordered XF 5-6 & MB 7-P, Modus3 120 S. I'll post pics when they come in, can't wait to put them into play in the Spring!

XF and MB were nearly identical in the sim range session. I could step on the XF for a few more yards, but brought bigger misses into play (like any club, really). MBs are a nice high, consistent ball flight and feel amazing. Really looking forward to a 47° pw. Got XF in 5-6 for the stronger loft, potential to catch up with my H2 power hybrid. Could also add the new UT when it comes out, or an MB or XF in either direction.

I really like buying in early in the release cycle for options that are yet to come. Almost all my irons have been used sets. My local Callaway pro was awesome setting me up too. Keep your local shops in mind when buying this holiday season. They might just work out a deal better than anything you'd find online.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

I've never played any Callaway irons, but took the plunge this week. Ordered XF 5-6 & MB 7-P, Modus3 120 S. I'll post pics when they come in, can't wait to put them into play in the Spring!

XF and MB were nearly identical in the sim range session. I could step on the XF for a few more yards, but brought bigger misses into play (like any club, really). MBs are a nice high, consistent ball flight and feel amazing. Really looking forward to a 47° pw. Got XF in 5-6 for the stronger loft, potential to catch up with my H2 power hybrid. Could also add the new UT when it comes out, or an MB or XF in either direction.

I really like buying in early in the release cycle for options that are yet to come. Almost all my irons have been used sets. My local Callaway pro was awesome setting me up too. Keep your local shops in mind when buying this holiday season. They might just work out a deal better than anything you'd find online.

I am sure you will love them. Just interested, what prompted going to a heavier shaft? I have learned I am a heavy shaft fan for the sake of tempo. Why did you make the move?

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I am sure you will love them. Just interested, what prompted going to a heavier shaft? I have learned I am a heavy shaft fan for the sake of tempo. Why did you make the move?

Been playing that set up for two weeks now except I went S tapers. You will love them, kicked my PXG's out of the bag!!!!

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

Thanks! And I agree, I get too quick with lighter shafts. It's actually a bit of a leap of faith, with no fitting head or Modus shafts in the Callaway cart here. So no real comparison or numbers to fall back on. I have hit Modus in the MP-18 and Z965 quite a lot in recent months, just love the feel and should add some spin compared to PX 6.0. I played KBS Tour 120s this year, so it shouldn't be a big jump in weight.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

Finally got mine and they are simply awesome...

XForged UT 21 degree and 4-P with DG AMT X100

Tried them on the range, they are soft but solid. Distance seemed to be very consistent.

Hoping to play some rounds in the next couple of weeks to get the feedbacks

Has anybody done any comparison on the 2018 XForged with their previous iron sets?

Rogue ST LS 💎💎💎 9* Autoflex SF505XX

Rogue ST LS #3 15* Autoflex SF505X
Callaway Apex UW 19* TourAD HD7X
TM P790 4i KBS cTaper 115 X

PRGR 00 irons 5-P KBS cTaper 120X
50*-10 Raw JAWS Forged S-grind Modus3 125S
54*-10 Raw JAWS Raw Forged C-grind Modus3 125S
58*-08 Raw JAWS Raw T-grind Modus3 125S
Toulon San Diego long slant neck limited edition 35”

Still haven't seen any MB sets. All retailers have the same 7 iron demo, but no sets. Plenty of X Forged sets though. Did they change the sale date on the MBs?

nothing has changed on launch date. The MB set is not a big seller in stores, but the X forged should be a good addition. The retail stores don't want to tie up inventory dollars stocking the MB sets when they may only sell 1 or 2 sets in 6 months. Plus on Callawaygolf.com, it is showing the MB's as custom order only.

Big seller or not, the inventory argument might fly for the typical shop. But this shop is huge and they have multiple sets of custom blades from all over the world (Fourteen, Honma, XXIO, Vega, Bridgestone, Kyoei , Seven, even a 5 star Beres set), so they are hardly worried about inventory or custom only orders. So far 1 7 iron is all they have.

I look forward to playing them, once I hit Florida after the holidays. To cold here now.

Other than shaft differences, I expect they will be simular to the 13's. Not as soft as

blades that I have played through out my life.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

MINI REVIEW:

So, I have 36 holes (two 9 hole rounds and one full 18-hole round) and 15 minutes warm-up sessions, prior to each, with my new '18 X-forged. Here's my take so far. Keep in mind, we've stopped cutting greens here in Ohio, so making putts is a challenge to say the least. Also, each "outing" was played in 20+ mph winds and at temps no higher than 53*. Obviously, ball flight was affected, depending on wind direction and temperature. The first two separate 9 hole rounds I hit 8 of 9 greens during the first, and 9 of 9 during the next. Not one iron shot put me in any sort of trouble, or was a horrid miss. I made a total of 4 birdies and no bogeys......needless to say, I was very pleased. Yesterday, I went out for my first full 18-hole round with these. Again, I hit 16 of 18 greens in 20+ mph winds. The two greens I missed, one, I flushed right through the wind and knocked it over the back side by 5 yards but got it up and down. The other I hit my tee shot right and it hit a cart path and ended OB by a few feet. I did make birdie with the second ball, so I ended with bogey on that hole, due to stroke and distance. Obviously, I could not take a GIR on the second ball. While this may sound like a passive brag, it's not. I made a total of 4 birdies on the day and ended up -3. So, in summary, that equals 3 greens missed in 36 holes with one of the misses ending just slightly over the green, one not counting due to an OB tee shot and the other missing left in strong right to left winds that ended just off the fringe. That's also a total of -7 in 36 holes with irons I had not even hit at all, prior. Putting this into further perspective, of the 8 birdies made, only one was outside of 8 feet. Needless to say, I couldn't be more excited for next season.

Here's my thoughts on club performance. First, anything missed towards the toe seems to be affected a little more than heal misses. Direction/dispersion is still very good, but distance suffers about 5-8 yards more from the toe side. I tried to get a sense while on the range, warming up, pre-round, and that's what I saw hitting to the same flags. Comparing to my older sets of irons with everything else being equal (except a chilly 50*) and my new shaft choice, my distances were very similar to that of my ’13 X-forged, '14 Apex's, Apex CF-16's and '14 Apex Pros, but feel is an unfair fight. I could argue that once we get back to warmer temps (Spring and Summer of '18), these could be up to a 1/2 club longer and feel even better. Like I mentioned, these are different shafts than I've been playing for the past 4-5 seasons. I now have stiff Modus3 Tour 105's HSx1 after playing stiff KBS' Tour V's HSx1 in every other Callaway iron the past several years. Honestly, I was a bit concerned about these shafts being a bit lighter than the Tour V's, but the few grams have not presented any problems. The Modus shafts are just incredibly sweet feeling, and these heads are a return to the feel I once knew from Miura made tour heads for TM heads (300 forged NS grinds and Lehman grinds), but this combination is arguably the best I've ever played. I do hit these a degree higher (due to the shafts), but have no issue playing shots (high, low, right or left). I also notice things like turf interaction and these run a close second to the Adams CMB's (which were the absolute best I ever played, in terms of stock sole grinds). Sure, we have softer conditions right now, but there is nothing to indicate that firmer summer turf will present any issue, especially after the results from a couple hardpan lies yesterday. I just can't say enough about these. They will get a hefty workout beginning 12/17 and we will be headed to Hilton Head for 3 days, then onto Melbourne Florida until 1/4/18 and playing EVERY day, including Christmas morning. Needless to say, I’m excited. I’m also looking forward to trying the UT once released.

I’m not here to hype some product(s) just convince myself or others……and I’m certainly not here to blow sunshine as a fanboy. Playing competitively, the only thing that matters to me is performance. For numbers and comparison sake, I swing my driver at 109 mph and hit my 7 iron 171 yards. Oh yeah, and I'm 55 years young. Hope some of this helps those that have any thoughts and/or questions.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Finally got mine and they are simply awesome...

XForged UT 21 degree and 4-P with DG AMT X100

Tried them on the range, they are soft but solid. Distance seemed to be very consistent.

Hoping to play some rounds in the next couple of weeks to get the feedbacks

Has anybody done any comparison on the 2018 XForged with their previous iron sets?

that ut very nice how'd you get your mitts on that

MINI REVIEW:

So, I have 36 holes (two 9 hole rounds and one full 18-hole round) and 15 minutes warm-up sessions, prior to each, with my new '18 X-forged. Here's my take so far. Keep in mind, we've stopped cutting greens here in Ohio, so making putts is a challenge to say the least. Also, each "outing" was played in 20+ mph winds and at temps no higher than 53*. Obviously, ball flight was affected, depending on wind direction and temperature. The first two separate 9 hole rounds I hit 8 of 9 greens during the first, and 9 of 9 during the next. Not one iron shot put me in any sort of trouble, or was a horrid miss. I made a total of 4 birdies and no bogeys......needless to say, I was very pleased. Yesterday, I went out for my first full 18-hole round with these. Again, I hit 16 of 18 greens in 20+ mph winds. The two greens I missed, one, I flushed right through the wind and knocked it over the back side by 5 yards but got it up and down. The other I hit my tee shot right and it hit a cart path and ended OB by a few feet. I did make birdie with the second ball, so I ended with bogey on that hole, due to stroke and distance. Obviously, I could not take a GIR on the second ball. While this may sound like a passive brag, it's not. I made a total of 4 birdies on the day and ended up -3. So, in summary, that equals 3 greens missed in 36 holes with one of the misses ending just slightly over the green, one not counting due to an OB tee shot and the other missing left in strong right to left winds that ended just off the fringe. That's also a total of -7 in 36 holes with irons I had not even hit at all, prior. Putting this into further perspective, of the 8 birdies made, only one was outside of 8 feet. Needless to say, I couldn't be more excited for next season.

Here's my thoughts on club performance. First, anything missed towards the toe seems to be affected a little more than heal misses. Direction/dispersion is still very good, but distance suffers about 5-8 yards more from the toe side. I tried to get a sense while on the range, warming up, pre-round, and that's what I saw hitting to the same flags. Comparing to my older sets of irons with everything else being equal (except a chilly 50*) and my new shaft choice, my distances were very similar to that of my ’13 X-forged, '14 Apex's, Apex CF-16's and '14 Apex Pros, but feel is an unfair fight. I could argue that once we get back to warmer temps (Spring and Summer of '18), these could be up to a 1/2 club longer and feel even better. Like I mentioned, these are different shafts than I've been playing for the past 4-5 seasons. I now have stiff Modus3 Tour 105's HSx1 after playing stiff KBS' Tour V's HSx1 in every other Callaway iron the past several years. Honestly, I was a bit concerned about these shafts being a bit lighter than the Tour V's, but the few grams have not presented any problems. The Modus shafts are just incredibly sweet feeling, and these heads are a return to the feel I once knew from Miura made tour heads for TM heads (300 forged NS grinds and Lehman grinds), but this combination is arguably the best I've ever played. I do hit these a degree higher (due to the shafts), but have no issue playing shots (high, low, right or left). I also notice things like turf interaction and these run a close second to the Adams CMB's (which were the absolute best I ever played, in terms of stock sole grinds). Sure, we have softer conditions right now, but there is nothing to indicate that firmer summer turf will present any issue, especially after the results from a couple hardpan lies yesterday. I just can't say enough about these. They will get a hefty workout beginning 12/17 and we will be headed to Hilton Head for 3 days, then onto Melbourne Florida until 1/4/18 and playing EVERY day, including Christmas morning. Needless to say, I’m excited. I’m also looking forward to trying the UT once released.

I’m not here to hype some product(s) just convince myself or others……and I’m certainly not here to blow sunshine as a fanboy. Playing competitively, the only thing that matters to me is performance. For numbers and comparison sake, I swing my driver at 109 mph and hit my 7 iron 171 yards. Oh yeah, and I'm 55 years young. Hope some of this helps those that have any thoughts and/or questions.

Thx for the great write up! I'm excited and I just received my set yesterday so looking forward to getting on a course!

Current "Bag of Tricks"

Driver:  Callaway Maverik 10.5 "Tour Issue" Single Diamond w/Graphite Designs AD-VR5 S 

3W:  Taylormade M1 3HL w/Graphite Designs AD-DI 6 S

Utility:  Taylormade GAPR 3 Low w/Graphite Designs AD-DI 95 S tipped 1"  

Irons:  Miura CB-301 4-PW, SHIMADA S-Shafts, ELITE grips

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey  SM6 F 52/12,      SM7 F 56/14,       SM6 M 60/08 Copper Lmt. Ed.

Putter:  Scotty Tei-22 Fastback 1.5   34"  

Ball:  Titleist Pro V 1X  

MINI REVIEW:

Well said.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

MINI REVIEW:

good job on the significant other !

Mine arrive tomorrow with PX 6.0 taking to the range on Tuesday - Can't wait.

2024 Bag TBD

My local shop has Apex MB's and they're stunning to look at.

Hit them in the sim, 172 avg carry w/ the 7i which is surprising out of an iron that doesn't have any distance features to it.

Really torn between Apex MB, P-730, and MP-18 for what to game in 2018...

Are the Apex MB coming to retail/special order in Raw finish?

I have owned and played both the 13's and the recent release. I have played a lot of blades and forged CB type irons through the years. I can't say that from memory there is a whole lot to stand out between the new heads vs the 13's except I feel the new ones might let you get away with a groove or two thinner strikes. In saying that, I should add that I am not "head sensitive" as long as it is smallish and not a lot of offset so take this post with a grain of salt. I am much more picky about what shaft brings out the traits I need from the particular head. When it comes down to x-forged vs MB, Titleist CB vs MB, etc., my game probably is more receptive of the CB style. Not because of the performance on mis-hits, but more because of the performance on the good hits when I am wanting to move the ball. I tend to overcook my planned fades and draws when working the ball with MB styles, while the CB style seems to tame that a little.

thanks very much for the info. I am the opposite from you when I get wild with the 13s I get wild. Older blades not so much

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

My local shop has Apex MB's and they're stunning to look at.

Hit them in the sim, 172 avg carry w/ the 7i which is surprising out of an iron that doesn't have any distance features to it.

Really torn between Apex MB, P-730, and MP-18 for what to game in 2018...

Are the Apex MB coming to retail/special order in Raw finish?

What I have heard , no raw finish to retail.

I just went with mp18.

Cheaper, lots of free shaft and grip options and they feel great and may inspire alittle more confidence in the long irons

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

The 2018 XForged UT are readily available in pro shop all over Japan.

It has a very short hosel. I will try to post a better picture comparison

Rogue ST LS 💎💎💎 9* Autoflex SF505XX

Rogue ST LS #3 15* Autoflex SF505X
Callaway Apex UW 19* TourAD HD7X
TM P790 4i KBS cTaper 115 X

PRGR 00 irons 5-P KBS cTaper 120X
50*-10 Raw JAWS Forged S-grind Modus3 125S
54*-10 Raw JAWS Raw Forged C-grind Modus3 125S
58*-08 Raw JAWS Raw T-grind Modus3 125S
Toulon San Diego long slant neck limited edition 35”