Callaway's new Apex MB and X Forged irons

GolfWRX

A couple different ways to look at my WITB.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MINI REVIEW:

So, I have 36 holes (two 9 hole rounds and one full 18-hole round) and 15 minutes warm-up sessions, prior to each, with my new '18 X-forged. Here's my take so far. Keep in mind, we've stopped cutting greens here in Ohio, so making putts is a challenge to say the least. Also, each "outing" was played in 20+ mph winds and at temps no higher than 53*. Obviously, ball flight was affected, depending on wind direction and temperature. The first two separate 9 hole rounds I hit 8 of 9 greens during the first, and 9 of 9 during the next. Not one iron shot put me in any sort of trouble, or was a horrid miss. I made a total of 4 birdies and no bogeys......needless to say, I was very pleased. Yesterday, I went out for my first full 18-hole round with these. Again, I hit 16 of 18 greens in 20+ mph winds. The two greens I missed, one, I flushed right through the wind and knocked it over the back side by 5 yards but got it up and down. The other I hit my tee shot right and it hit a cart path and ended OB by a few feet. I did make birdie with the second ball, so I ended with bogey on that hole, due to stroke and distance. Obviously, I could not take a GIR on the second ball. While this may sound like a passive brag, it's not. I made a total of 4 birdies on the day and ended up -3. So, in summary, that equals 3 greens missed in 36 holes with one of the misses ending just slightly over the green, one not counting due to an OB tee shot and the other missing left in strong right to left winds that ended just off the fringe. That's also a total of -7 in 36 holes with irons I had not even hit at all, prior. Putting this into further perspective, of the 8 birdies made, only one was outside of 8 feet. Needless to say, I couldn't be more excited for next season.

Here's my thoughts on club performance. First, anything missed towards the toe seems to be affected a little more than heal misses. Direction/dispersion is still very good, but distance suffers about 5-8 yards more from the toe side. I tried to get a sense while on the range, warming up, pre-round, and that's what I saw hitting to the same flags. Comparing to my older sets of irons with everything else being equal (except a chilly 50*) and my new shaft choice, my distances were very similar to that of my ’13 X-forged, '14 Apex's, Apex CF-16's and '14 Apex Pros, but feel is an unfair fight. I could argue that once we get back to warmer temps (Spring and Summer of '18), these could be up to a 1/2 club longer and feel even better. Like I mentioned, these are different shafts than I've been playing for the past 4-5 seasons. I now have stiff Modus3 Tour 105's HSx1 after playing stiff KBS' Tour V's HSx1 in every other Callaway iron the past several years. Honestly, I was a bit concerned about these shafts being a bit lighter than the Tour V's, but the few grams have not presented any problems. The Modus shafts are just incredibly sweet feeling, and these heads are a return to the feel I once knew from Miura made tour heads for TM heads (300 forged NS grinds and Lehman grinds), but this combination is arguably the best I've ever played. I do hit these a degree higher (due to the shafts), but have no issue playing shots (high, low, right or left). I also notice things like turf interaction and these run a close second to the Adams CMB's (which were the absolute best I ever played, in terms of stock sole grinds). Sure, we have softer conditions right now, but there is nothing to indicate that firmer summer turf will present any issue, especially after the results from a couple hardpan lies yesterday. I just can't say enough about these. They will get a hefty workout beginning 12/17 and we will be headed to Hilton Head for 3 days, then onto Melbourne Florida until 1/4/18 and playing EVERY day, including Christmas morning. Needless to say, I’m excited. I’m also looking forward to trying the UT once released.

I’m not here to hype some product(s) just convince myself or others……and I’m certainly not here to blow sunshine as a fanboy. Playing competitively, the only thing that matters to me is performance. For numbers and comparison sake, I swing my driver at 109 mph and hit my 7 iron 171 yards. Oh yeah, and I'm 55 years young. Hope some of this helps those that have any thoughts and/or questions.

Great review. I have the Apex Pro 2016 model and am considering the XF. Any thoughts as to how these compare to the Apex Pro 2016?

A couple different ways to look at my WITB.

Why SM6 instead of MD Forged or MD3?

Two MD3 purchased on Black Friday to give a whirl. If the 60 and 56 win me over I will add a 52.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

MINI REVIEW:

So, I have 36 holes (two 9 hole rounds and one full 18-hole round) and 15 minutes warm-up sessions, prior to each, with my new '18 X-forged. Here's my take so far. Keep in mind, we've stopped cutting greens here in Ohio, so making putts is a challenge to say the least. Also, each "outing" was played in 20+ mph winds and at temps no higher than 53*. Obviously, ball flight was affected, depending on wind direction and temperature. The first two separate 9 hole rounds I hit 8 of 9 greens during the first, and 9 of 9 during the next. Not one iron shot put me in any sort of trouble, or was a horrid miss. I made a total of 4 birdies and no bogeys......needless to say, I was very pleased. Yesterday, I went out for my first full 18-hole round with these. Again, I hit 16 of 18 greens in 20+ mph winds. The two greens I missed, one, I flushed right through the wind and knocked it over the back side by 5 yards but got it up and down. The other I hit my tee shot right and it hit a cart path and ended OB by a few feet. I did make birdie with the second ball, so I ended with bogey on that hole, due to stroke and distance. Obviously, I could not take a GIR on the second ball. While this may sound like a passive brag, it's not. I made a total of 4 birdies on the day and ended up -3. So, in summary, that equals 3 greens missed in 36 holes with one of the misses ending just slightly over the green, one not counting due to an OB tee shot and the other missing left in strong right to left winds that ended just off the fringe. That's also a total of -7 in 36 holes with irons I had not even hit at all, prior. Putting this into further perspective, of the 8 birdies made, only one was outside of 8 feet. Needless to say, I couldn't be more excited for next season.

Here's my thoughts on club performance. First, anything missed towards the toe seems to be affected a little more than heal misses. Direction/dispersion is still very good, but distance suffers about 5-8 yards more from the toe side. I tried to get a sense while on the range, warming up, pre-round, and that's what I saw hitting to the same flags. Comparing to my older sets of irons with everything else being equal (except a chilly 50*) and my new shaft choice, my distances were very similar to that of my ’13 X-forged, '14 Apex's, Apex CF-16's and '14 Apex Pros, but feel is an unfair fight. I could argue that once we get back to warmer temps (Spring and Summer of '18), these could be up to a 1/2 club longer and feel even better. Like I mentioned, these are different shafts than I've been playing for the past 4-5 seasons. I now have stiff Modus3 Tour 105's HSx1 after playing stiff KBS' Tour V's HSx1 in every other Callaway iron the past several years. Honestly, I was a bit concerned about these shafts being a bit lighter than the Tour V's, but the few grams have not presented any problems. The Modus shafts are just incredibly sweet feeling, and these heads are a return to the feel I once knew from Miura made tour heads for TM heads (300 forged NS grinds and Lehman grinds), but this combination is arguably the best I've ever played. I do hit these a degree higher (due to the shafts), but have no issue playing shots (high, low, right or left). I also notice things like turf interaction and these run a close second to the Adams CMB's (which were the absolute best I ever played, in terms of stock sole grinds). Sure, we have softer conditions right now, but there is nothing to indicate that firmer summer turf will present any issue, especially after the results from a couple hardpan lies yesterday. I just can't say enough about these. They will get a hefty workout beginning 12/17 and we will be headed to Hilton Head for 3 days, then onto Melbourne Florida until 1/4/18 and playing EVERY day, including Christmas morning. Needless to say, I’m excited. I’m also looking forward to trying the UT once released.

I’m not here to hype some product(s) just convince myself or others……and I’m certainly not here to blow sunshine as a fanboy. Playing competitively, the only thing that matters to me is performance. For numbers and comparison sake, I swing my driver at 109 mph and hit my 7 iron 171 yards. Oh yeah, and I'm 55 years young. Hope some of this helps those that have any thoughts and/or questions.

Great review. I have the Apex Pro 2016 model and am considering the XF. Any thoughts as to how these compare to the Apex Pro 2016?

This was only on a sim at golf galaxy, but my Apex Pro 16’s beat the X-Forged with all things equal. Ball flight, dispersion, distance, and feel all to the Apex Pro 16’s. I was disappointed because I really wanted the X-Forged.

Finally got mine and they are simply awesome...

XForged UT 21 degree and 4-P with DG AMT X100

Tried them on the range, they are soft but solid. Distance seemed to be very consistent.

Hoping to play some rounds in the next couple of weeks to get the feedbacks

Has anybody done any comparison on the 2018 XForged with their previous iron sets?

that ut very nice how'd you get your mitts on that

Rogue ST LS 💎💎💎 9* Autoflex SF505XX

Rogue ST LS #3 15* Autoflex SF505X
Callaway Apex UW 19* TourAD HD7X
TM P790 4i KBS cTaper 115 X

PRGR 00 irons 5-P KBS cTaper 120X
50*-10 Raw JAWS Forged S-grind Modus3 125S
54*-10 Raw JAWS Raw Forged C-grind Modus3 125S
58*-08 Raw JAWS Raw T-grind Modus3 125S
Toulon San Diego long slant neck limited edition 35”

MINI REVIEW:

This was only on a sim at golf galaxy, but my Apex Pro 16’s beat the X-Forged with all things equal. Ball flight, dispersion, distance, and feel all to the Apex Pro 16’s. I was disappointed because I really wanted the X-Forged.

What shaft do you have in the apex pro? You also could consider lie angle, loft, and grip. Cause if all those are different from the 6.0 px in the x forged at golf galaxy, it's not a true comparison. You need same specs, green grass, and a trackman.

MINI REVIEW:

I have some pretty extensive experience with both the '14 & '16 Apex Pros ('14 Apex's & CF-16's) and, for me, the '18 X-forged feel much better than all of them (which I expected) and perform exceptionally. When I say exceptionally, what I mean is that there is NO part of their performance that is, in any way, substandard or disappointing when compared to any of these other sets. The '18 X-forged simply excel in every category. Do they standout as the longest? ......I wouldn't say that. Are they just as long as all the others? .......to my surprise, they are (especially when compared to my '14 Apex), without any surprise jumpers. For what it's worth, my '14 Apex were longer than the '14 & '16 Apex Pros, and the CF'16's. What I did not like about the two Apex models was their sole grinds. Also, they did produce jumpers from time to time......and they lacked the spin I wanted. Nonetheless, I made them work and they performed well. For me, these new irons check all the boxes and are in a league by themselves. I especially like the head size. I felt the '16 Apex Pros were a bit too short from heel to toe for my eye and looked "stubby." The '18 X-forged just look more proportionate. Hope that helps.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

MINI REVIEW:

What shaft do you have in the apex pro? You also could consider lie angle, loft, and grip. Cause if all those are different from the 6.0 px in the x forged at golf galaxy, it's not a true comparison. You need same specs, green grass, and a trackman.

I hit them both with px 6.5, +1/2” in length, 2* flat, and standard grips as this is what I’m fit to. Like I said all things were equal with the exception of the lofts and the Apex Pro 16’s won in every category for me.

Edit: I did not hit my own Apex Pro 16’s as no one has the px 7.0’s and I wanted the comparison to be as equal as possible.

MINI REVIEW:

I hit them both with px 6.5, +1/2” in length, 2* flat, and standard grips as this is what I’m fit to. Like I said all things were equal with the exception of the lofts and the Apex Pro 16’s won in every category for me.

Edit: I did not hit my own Apex Pro 16’s as no one has the px 7.0’s and I wanted the comparison to be as equal as possible.

To each his own, i was just curious because i have a 3 and 4 iron in the x forged and couldn't be happier, which seems to be the consensus for the most part on here. Also curious which golf galaxy has 2 custom clubs like that? Seems like the best golf galaxy in the 7 kingdoms

MINI REVIEW:

Great review, I also just recieved the X Forged 18's. Keep a set of 13's in Florida, if they are anything like the 13's, I will be happy.

Hoping for a 50 degree plus day in michigan to try these.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I’ve hit the 18’ x-Forged a number of times now in the sims at the local golf shops. For me they beat out everything I compared them against (900 tour, mp18sc/mmc, 718 ap2, iBlade, apex Pro). Today I compared them to my current irons, Ping i, and the XF were about 3-5 yds longer with a lower launch and slightly lower spin. Same project x 6.0 shaft. Much better feel with the XF. I’m just concerned about switching to a club with drastically different/thinner sole.

PING G425 Max 9* @ 7.5* PING Tour 65s
PING G425 Max 3w PING Tour 75s
PING G430 Max 7w PING Tour 75s
PING G425 22 PING Tour 85s
PING iBlade 4-pw DG XP95 S300
PING Glide 3.0 50s, 54s, 58s
PING Sigma 2 Tyne 4

How do the X-Forged/Apex MB match up in terms of feel compared to the Mack Daddy Forged wedges?

I currently play Mizuno Irons and Wedges due to the same forged feeling.

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

@DBake......I will share this. I've yet to hit the newest MD Forged wedges, because I'm not a fan of the head shape. I still play the MD 2 forged wedges and they feel great side by side and compared to the new '18 X-forged irons. I stockpiled these MD2 wedges and am sticking with them for the foreseeable future. Great wedges and the feel is awesome.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

I been a Mizuno fan for the last 5 sets I gamed. I hit the MP 18s over the weekend and buddy asked me to hit the X-Forged just to see what I thought of them. I only hit the 7-iron, but it felt so smooth and effortlessly. I been reviewing them and plan to go back to hit some more. This time really want to compare them to the 18s. If another successful testing, it's going to be a hard decision not to pull the trigger on these. The reviews on turf transition is really catching my eye.

Anyone else have comparisons?

MINI REVIEW:

I have some pretty extensive experience with both the '14 & '16 Apex Pros ('14 Apex's & CF-16's) and, for me, the '18 X-forged feel much better than all of them (which I expected) and perform exceptionally. When I say exceptionally, what I mean is that there is NO part of their performance that is, in any way, substandard or disappointing when compared to any of these other sets. The '18 X-forged simply excel in every category. Do they standout as the longest? ......I wouldn't say that. Are they just as long as all the others? .......to my surprise, they are (especially when compared to my '14 Apex), without any surprise jumpers. For what it's worth, my '14 Apex were longer than the '14 & '16 Apex Pros, and the CF'16's. What I did not like about the two Apex models was their sole grinds. Also, they did produce jumpers from time to time......and they lacked the spin I wanted. Nonetheless, I made them work and they performed well. For me, these new irons check all the boxes and are in a league by themselves. I especially like the head size. I felt the '16 Apex Pros were a bit too short from heel to toe for my eye and looked "stubby." The '18 X-forged just look more proportionate. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the feedback. I started with the Apex combo set and then went 100% Apex Pro. Interesting that you mention the soles as there is something about the manner in which the Apex Pro interacts with the turf that seems strange.

I got my set in today, ordered last Wednesday. Five days over the holiday weekend for a custom order is pretty outstanding!

DBake, I've got S5 and T7 wedges here, and only limited experience hitting the Apex PW (like 6 swings...off mats). First impressions are that they will blend in well to the S5s, both looks and feel.

We've got warm weather here, but also a busy week at work. I hope I'll have a chance to put these on turf with real balls. Pics to come!

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

I got my set in today, ordered last Wednesday. Five days over the holiday weekend for a custom order is pretty outstanding!

DBake, I've got S5 and T7 wedges here, and only limited experience hitting the Apex PW (like 6 swings...off mats). First impressions are that they will blend in well to the S5s, both looks and feel.

We've got warm weather here, but also a busy week at work. I hope I'll have a chance to put these on turf with real balls. Pics to come!

Similar story, I custom ordered the X Forged on November 20th, delivered on the 24th. I thought they were

Just sending a packing slip for the trade up program, LOL's. On line stated 2 to 5 weeks, talk about customer service,

On a holiday week, Callaway out did themselves !

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I put my x Forged on the bst. I liked them but I think I want the apex mb’s More.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Guys, what shaft combinations do you have in the 2018 XForged?

I’m using DG AMT X100 and find it launching fairly high...

Rogue ST LS 💎💎💎 9* Autoflex SF505XX

Rogue ST LS #3 15* Autoflex SF505X
Callaway Apex UW 19* TourAD HD7X
TM P790 4i KBS cTaper 115 X

PRGR 00 irons 5-P KBS cTaper 120X
50*-10 Raw JAWS Forged S-grind Modus3 125S
54*-10 Raw JAWS Raw Forged C-grind Modus3 125S
58*-08 Raw JAWS Raw T-grind Modus3 125S
Toulon San Diego long slant neck limited edition 35”

Got out for 18 with my new combo, so glad I got the XF 5-6 irons. Longer irons are always something of a 50/50 proposition for me. Went 4/5 hitting greens from that range. One was literally a shot in the dark through the trees at sundown.

My only complaint is the stock Callaway Utx isn't corded, basically REL. My mistake for not checking on that. I'm not that picky so I'll just roll with rubber for a year.

Here's my full bag in action, cheers!

2c81c61d25db54afe1b86d10cf4c0817.jpg

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

MINI REVIEW:

Here's my thoughts on club performance. First, anything missed towards the toe seems to be affected a little more than heal misses. Direction/dispersion is still very good, but distance suffers about 5-8 yards more from the toe side. I tried to get a sense while on the range, warming up, pre-round, and that's what I saw hitting to the same flags. Comparing to my older sets of irons with everything else being equal (except a chilly 50*) and my new shaft choice, my distances were very similar to that of my '13 X-forged, '14 Apex's, Apex CF-16's and '14 Apex Pros, but feel is an unfair fight. I could argue that once we get back to warmer temps (Spring and Summer of '18), these could be up to a 1/2 club longer and feel even better. Like I mentioned, these are different shafts than I've been playing for the past 4-5 seasons. I now have stiff Modus3 Tour 105's HSx1 after playing stiff KBS' Tour V's HSx1 in every other Callaway iron the past several years. Honestly, I was a bit concerned about these shafts being a bit lighter than the Tour V's, but the few grams have not presented any problems. The Modus shafts are just incredibly sweet feeling, and these heads are a return to the feel I once knew from Miura made tour heads for TM heads (300 forged NS grinds and Lehman grinds), but this combination is arguably the best I've ever played. I do hit these a degree higher (due to the shafts), but have no issue playing shots (high, low, right or left). I also notice things like turf interaction and these run a close second to the Adams CMB's (which were the absolute best I ever played, in terms of stock sole grinds). Sure, we have softer conditions right now, but there is nothing to indicate that firmer summer turf will present any issue, especially after the results from a couple hardpan lies yesterday. I just can't say enough about these. They will get a hefty workout beginning 12/17 and we will be headed to Hilton Head for 3 days, then onto Melbourne Florida until 1/4/18 and playing EVERY day, including Christmas morning. Needless to say, I'm excited. I'm also looking forward to trying the UT once released.

I'm not here to hype some product(s) just convince myself or others……and I'm certainly not here to blow sunshine as a fanboy. Playing competitively, the only thing that matters to me is performance. For numbers and comparison sake, I swing my driver at 109 mph and hit my 7 iron 171 yards. Oh yeah, and I'm 55 years young. Hope some of this helps those that have any thoughts and/or questions.

This was only on a sim at golf galaxy, but my Apex Pro 16's beat the X-Forged with all things equal. Ball flight, dispersion, distance, and feel all to the Apex Pro 16's. I was disappointed because I really wanted the X-Forged.

Following up on this from my testing today... Been waiting to do this and finally tested the 18' X forged today Vs my set of 16' Apex Pro. Both clubs had KBS Tour 120 S HS+1 in them. The 16' Pros were better across the board for me on all aspects. The big thing to me was feel as I think the 16' Pros felt a lot better. More that you could feel the ball on the face better. The new X Forged are +1 degree stronger so I expected 2-4 yards or more distance gain and did not see that either. One thing that I noticed is the Xforged was launching higher then the pros by a decent amount, at times it almost looked like it ballooned on me. Went and tested it on a launch monitor and the Xforged actually was spinning 600-800 RPMS more for me then my Pro's which probably what caused the extra height. "Spinning a club lower" is the way the fitter noted. Not sure if that is the head design or grooves but they spun more...so if you need more spin these are good. I could see these being really really good for a "sweeper" based on my testing today.

I was really hoping it would be the Xforged irons as the better setup but it was not. I have worn the crap out of my 7 iron in the pros so going to just replace the one club and game my 16's for a another year or so.

Edit: Note they are good clubs...they just did not fit me. Like all clubs get fitted to see if they work for you..!

MINI REVIEW:

Here's my thoughts on club performance. First, anything missed towards the toe seems to be affected a little more than heal misses. Direction/dispersion is still very good, but distance suffers about 5-8 yards more from the toe side. I tried to get a sense while on the range, warming up, pre-round, and that's what I saw hitting to the same flags. Comparing to my older sets of irons with everything else being equal (except a chilly 50*) and my new shaft choice, my distances were very similar to that of my '13 X-forged, '14 Apex's, Apex CF-16's and '14 Apex Pros, but feel is an unfair fight. I could argue that once we get back to warmer temps (Spring and Summer of '18), these could be up to a 1/2 club longer and feel even better. Like I mentioned, these are different shafts than I've been playing for the past 4-5 seasons. I now have stiff Modus3 Tour 105's HSx1 after playing stiff KBS' Tour V's HSx1 in every other Callaway iron the past several years. Honestly, I was a bit concerned about these shafts being a bit lighter than the Tour V's, but the few grams have not presented any problems. The Modus shafts are just incredibly sweet feeling, and these heads are a return to the feel I once knew from Miura made tour heads for TM heads (300 forged NS grinds and Lehman grinds), but this combination is arguably the best I've ever played. I do hit these a degree higher (due to the shafts), but have no issue playing shots (high, low, right or left). I also notice things like turf interaction and these run a close second to the Adams CMB's (which were the absolute best I ever played, in terms of stock sole grinds). Sure, we have softer conditions right now, but there is nothing to indicate that firmer summer turf will present any issue, especially after the results from a couple hardpan lies yesterday. I just can't say enough about these. They will get a hefty workout beginning 12/17 and we will be headed to Hilton Head for 3 days, then onto Melbourne Florida until 1/4/18 and playing EVERY day, including Christmas morning. Needless to say, I'm excited. I'm also looking forward to trying the UT once released.

I'm not here to hype some product(s) just convince myself or others……and I'm certainly not here to blow sunshine as a fanboy. Playing competitively, the only thing that matters to me is performance. For numbers and comparison sake, I swing my driver at 109 mph and hit my 7 iron 171 yards. Oh yeah, and I'm 55 years young. Hope some of this helps those that have any thoughts and/or questions.

This was only on a sim at golf galaxy, but my Apex Pro 16's beat the X-Forged with all things equal. Ball flight, dispersion, distance, and feel all to the Apex Pro 16's. I was disappointed because I really wanted the X-Forged.

Following up on this from my testing today... Been waiting to do this and finally tested the 18' X forged today Vs my set of 16' Apex Pro. Both clubs had KBS Tour 120 S HS+1 in them. The 16' Pros were better across the board for me on all aspects. The big thing to me was feel as I think the 16' Pros felt a lot better. More that you could feel the ball on the face better. The new X Forged are +1 degree stronger so I expected 2-4 yards or more distance gain and did not see that either. One thing that I noticed is the Xforged was launching higher then the pros by a decent amount, at times it almost looked like it ballooned on me. Went and tested it on a launch monitor and the Xforged actually was spinning 600-800 RPMS more for me then my Pro's which probably what caused the extra height. "Spinning a club lower" is the way the fitter noted. Not sure if that is the head design or grooves but they spun more...so if you need more spin these are good. I could see these being really really good for a "sweeper" based on my testing today.

I was really hoping it would be the Xforged irons as the better setup but it was not. I have worn the crap out of my 7 iron in the pros so going to just replace the one club and game my 16's for a another year or so.

Edit: Note they are good clubs...they just did not fit me. Like all clubs get fitted to see if they work for you..!

i loved the apex pro as well have a mixed set of mb and xforged the mb feels unreal the xforged for me feels great as well a little different than the pro but solid no spin problems very similiar ball flight my pros maybe a tad higher everyone is different as you said get fitted

For the folks that have ordered XF/MB combo sets, where did you split them and are you happy with that decision?

I'm thinking of weak 4/strong 5 in the utility when it is released next year, 6-7 XF, and 8-P MB and but am really tempted to go MB 6-P.

Also, would love to see some pics of the shorter irons at address (9 and PW).

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

MINI REVIEW:

i loved the apex pro as well have a mixed set of mb and xforged the mb feels unreal the xforged for me feels great as well a little different than the pro but solid no spin problems very similiar ball flight my pros maybe a tad higher everyone is different as you said get fitted

Yea I was really hoping they did fit.... I was given the approval from the better half to upgrade this year for Xmas gift if I want. Going to look at some mizzy now or see if the Xforged in a different shaft works better. If so will go the combo of Xforged / MB..... also eye'n the 718 CB's a bit