Maltby DBM/MMB/TE Forged Question

jasonp87

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be over blowing this, but when I hear the DBM are soft, I can’t help but think the MMB are harsh. And not, just not as soft.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

You are. The MMB are soft (now i havent hit them full bore yet so i cant properly comment but will advise when i do. Its just DBM are one of the softest irons ive hit ever. It litterally feels like a marshmellow. Like old mp33 mizzy feel. The only downside to the dbm was if u can believe it. Theyre too soft. theyre soft across the face. I couldnt always tell where i caught it. The MMB are soft but still provide greater feedback. To me whos sensitive to size and toplines i much prefer the more compact size of the MMB. The DBM has an ever slightly thinner topline but in some of the longer irons 4i 5i u can see the cavity at address kinda. And in the short irons 9i and PW the hosel kinda jutted out behind the club. Made it look big. I did love the constant offset tho.

In all honest u cant go wrong with either. Would you go the TE or DBM. And if u went MMB would u go satin or Black?

I may be over blowing this, but when I hear the DBM are soft, I can’t help but think the MMB are harsh. And not, just not as soft.

If anyone thinks the MMB's are "harsh", it means that for one reason or another...they aren't hitting them solid. For example, if someone fit really well into the lower sweet-spot of the DBM, then their percentage of good feeling strikes could very well be lower with something else that has a higher COG

You are. The MMB are soft (now i havent hit them full bore yet so i cant properly comment but will advise when i do. Its just DBM are one of the softest irons ive hit ever. It litterally feels like a marshmellow. Like old mp33 mizzy feel. The only downside to the dbm was if u can believe it. Theyre too soft. theyre soft across the face. I couldnt always tell where i caught it. The MMB are soft but still provide greater feedback. To me whos sensitive to size and toplines i much prefer the more compact size of the MMB. The DBM has an ever slightly thinner topline but in some of the longer irons 4i 5i u can see the cavity at address kinda. And in the short irons 9i and PW the hosel kinda jutted out behind the club. Made it look big. I did love the constant offset tho.

In all honest u cant go wrong with either. Would you go the TE or DBM. And if u went MMB would u go satin or Black?

oh it’s black all the way. DBM or MMB black. Ever since I bought a 7i DBM to test the finish, as i have always loved black irons but always been let down with the finish’s durability, i was sold.

The MMB has a different offset than the DBM?

If anyone thinks the MMB's are "harsh", it means that for one reason or another...they aren't hitting them solid. For example, if someone fit really well into the lower sweet-spot of the DBM, then their percentage of good feeling strikes could very well be lower with something else that has a higher COG

I’m a high ball hitter and my misses are thin shots. Does the lower COG or mid COG play better into lowering the flight and help with the thin misses?

oh it’s black all the way. DBM or MMB black. Ever since I bought a 7i DBM to test the finish, as i have always loved black irons but always been let down with the finish’s durability, i was sold.

The MMB has a different offset than the DBM?

The MMBs have a variable offset. Starts at 0.145" in 3i and goes to 0.1 in PW/GW.

Low avcog will help with thin shots but will make u hit it higher on good shots.

2 strikes in same spot the lower thr CG the higher it goes. DBM have constant .1 offset. MMB have progressive offset from .135 in 4i to .09 in PW.

As for heads the downside with the MMB black is u cant order individual clubs or id say buy one. If u wanna be really sure and dont mind spending extra cash u can order a satin MMB to test.

Low avcog will help with thin shots but will make u hit it higher on good shots.

2 strikes in same spot the lower thr CG the higher it goes. DBM have constant .1 offset. MMB have progressive offset from .135 in 4i to .09 in PW.

As for heads the downside with the MMB black is u cant order individual clubs or id say buy one. If u wanna be really sure and dont mind spending extra cash u can order a satin MMB to test.

Yeah I thought about the satin MMB 7i.

When you groove the MMB-17 you can't even feel the ball hit the club. When you miss the ball they get a bit clicky but it's not horrible. It just let's you know it wasn't perfect.

When you groove the MMB-17 you can't even feel the ball hit the club. When you miss the ball they get a bit clicky but it's not horrible. It just let's you know it wasn't perfect.

But the distance on mishits is nullified, I think you said?

But the distance on mishits is nullified, I think you said?

They do not punish a mis hit. You can get away with a bad swing like no other blade style iron. I hit the new PTM tonight and I just put up a new thread.

I’m a high ball hitter and my misses are thin shots. Does the lower COG or mid COG play better into lowering the flight and help with the thin misses?

The low AVCOG (sweet-spot) definitely helps a player who has an impact pattern low on the face. With that in mind, I would not try to use a higher COG to help lower flight for that player, because it will hurt their percentage of solid contact

Had a chance to hit them at a sim on crappy mats.

But wow just wow. Things of beauty. Very workable but wanna go straight with a slight curve. Getting them elevated was effortless.

Feel was great not mash potatoes soft but fairly soft. Touch softer then my 714ap2. If u flush one they get extremely soft. But theres good feedbqck to let u know if toe side high or low on face.

Sound is a muted thwack. It can get a bit clicky toe side especially with a harder ball.

Forgiveness is great. More forgiving then my ap2s.

My swing was off but man were these rockets. I was launching my 7i at 18-19* with 6800-7200 rpm and they felt great.

As for the modus 125 shaft...its as advertised. A dynamic gold but way way better.

But wow just wow. Things of beauty. Very workable but wanna go straight with a slight curve. Getting them elevated was effortless.

Feel was great not mash potatoes soft but fairly soft. Touch softer then my 714ap2. If u flush one they get extremely soft. But theres good feedbqck to let u know if toe side high or low on face.

Sound is a muted thwack. It can get a bit clicky toe side especially with a harder ball.

My swing was off but man were these rockets. I was launching my 7i at 18-19* with 6800-7200 rpm and they felt great.

As for the modus 125 shaft...its as advertised. A dynamic gold but way way better.

I wish I wasn't such a component ho and had a frame of reference re the AP2,s....but it sounds promising. I'm going to test an MMB vs. PFT in spring and I'm seriously looking at the modus 130 and modus 125.

Thanks for the feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I'm gonna jump in here and ask for some input. So I'm definitely going to be buying either the DBM's or MMB/17's. While the PTM's look sexy as hell, they're kind of moving away from where I want to go with my game. I've been playing some pretty hefty GI clubs from Gigagolf (another semi-component/custom company) They've been fantastic clubs up to this point. Here's what they look like http://gigagolf.com/club_detailsHTML.jhtml?manufacturer=GigaGolf&groupnum=MI-GGTM20-SET So I've spent many, many, many, many hours in 2017 working on swing mechanics with the goal of working toward a more bladed/forged style of club. I've even been cycling through much of the fitting inventory at my local PGATSS to make sure this is what I want to do. I'm definitely ready to go down that path.

So from reading, I'm seeing pro's and con's from both clubs. Now the cons are really just knit pickety things but I'm using them to make my final decision. The pro's from both sets are everything that I'm looking for. So I'm reading that the DBM's have a much slimmer top line but that the sole is a bit fatter and possibly noticeable from the back side at address. Being that I'm moving from clubs with a fairly plump backside, would this even be a factor for me? would I notice it as much as the guy that's used to playing other bladed clubs? or will it become something that I'll regret down the line? Also, I'm trying to maintain a mid trajectory and don't want something that's going to smash the ball to outer space and I'm reading that these can have that tendency. I know that shaft can play a part so I'm choosing a lighter mid/high flight Nippon NS PRO 950GH. Will I regret going with the higher flying face? and lastly.. is there such a thing as too soft? I like a club that gives decent feedback without rattling my bones so I know how to correct my mishits.

As for the the MMB-17's, I'm reading that the topline is a bit thicker but the sole is slimmer. The whole CG/MOI situation is not much of a concern for me as I seem to do well with lower and it does provide more of the ball flight that I'm after. So similar question, coming from the a chunky iron, will a thicker topline even be an issue or will it still seem fairly thin.. or will i regret it down the line?

Cheers!

Having hit and seen both and now owning the MMBs i can say this for looks

I hate chunky irons that are big with thick toplines.

The DBM topline is THIN however it is a wider sole (not ping wide but its wider). The overall size is bigger then the MMB although the actual topline is thinner on the DBM. However you can see the back of some DBMs from address whereas the MMB are bladelike from address

Overall profile/size the MMB look smaller at address.

I can use my 714ap2 as a comparison and even TM770s.

The DBM are similar to the AP2 except they have a thinner topline but thicker sole.

In terms of topline size smallest to thickest id say

DBM-770-MMB-AP2 (but the 770/MMB are pretty close and AP2 isnt even much bigger)

Sole width smallest to biggest

770-MMB-AP2-DBM

Overall appearance at address smallest to biggest

770/MMB-DBM-AP2 (DBM/AP2 are interchangeable, the DBM is longer heel to toe but thinner topline but wider sole)

Being able to see the back of the club from address (most GI look vs most Blade look at address)

DBM-AP2 (theyre close)-770-MMB (i can barely see the back of my club on my 4i MMB)

hope this helps

The DBM topline is THIN however it is a wider sole (not ping wide but its wider). The overall size is bigger then the MMB although the actual topline is thinner on the DBM. However you can see the back of some DBMs from address whereas the MMB are bladelike from address

The DBM are similar to the AP2 except they have a thinner topline but thicker sole.

DBM-770-MMB-AP2 (but the 770/MMB are pretty close and AP2 isnt even much bigger)

770-MMB-AP2-DBM

770/MMB-DBM-AP2 (DBM/AP2 are interchangeable, the DBM is longer heel to toe but thinner topline but wider sole)

Being able to see the back of the club from address (most GI look vs most Blade look at address)

DBM-AP2 (theyre close)-770-MMB (i can barely see the back of my club on my 4i MMB)

hope this helps

it really does help thank you! I think that I'm now leaning more toward the MMB's. overall I'm more attracted to overall profile and not just the top line and I think the performance specs align a little better with what I'm after. Being that the offset is progressive and really is barely noticeable on the longer irons, I'm not too concerned. Has that been an issue for you? or is it a non-factor?

770-MMB-AP2-DBM

hope this helps

it really does help thank you! I think that I'm now leaning more toward the MMB's. overall I'm more attracted to overall profile and not just the top line and I think the performance specs align a little better with what I'm after. Being that the offset is progressive and really is barely noticeable on the longer irons, I'm not too concerned. Has that been an issue for you? or is it a non-factor?

I have the TE 3-5 and have no issues hitting nice penetrating shots and have had no issues with the ball going too high or ballooning. I planned to pair them with my mmb as a combo set but after mix and matching last year I finally settled on 3TE and 4-p mmb. The TE feel great and are very easy to hit but honestly, the mmb are very easy to hit as well. I never felt like I was losing anything with the mmb so the 5te dropped and then the 4te and I find myself completely comfortable with the mmb. They are both beautiful sets but I prefer the more satin finish of the mmb's. I'm down to one set of irons for the first time in 7 years.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

84fa4e71059aacf278f544b2b7b01111.jpg496a2427809347209d5eb0dd94239a6a.jpg

Ready for assembly

those look badass

Hey folks, so I'm also looking for a comparison of the MMB-BLK and the DBM's. If the PTM were just smaller then I wouldn't be having this dilemma as it's really the best looking of the 3 (IMO). I'm so ridiculously torn on which direction to go here. By profession and nature, I'm a high-risk analyst. When I get put in a position where the risks and rewards for 2 potential outcomes seem to be equal, I tend to short circuit (smoke coming out ears). This is one of those situations. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the DBM's. They seemed to check every box that I was after and they sat at a lower price point from the MMB's (very important). Well after much obsessive forum reading, I learned that the sole of the DBM's is quite wide and visible from the back at address. This then sent me into a tailspin and then I flipped back to the MMB's for consideration. I'm now re-reconsidering my flip and wondering if the DBM's are really that bottom heavy at address? Price point is really an important factor as the additional $30 holds enough weight for me to be a relative factor (this is more of a "honey I promise I won't spend more than $400 this time factor") and with shipping, the price of the MMB's comes to $430. But in my POV, price point and looks are about equal (see how crazy I am about all of this?). So I guess what I'm asking, is.. Is the sole of the DBM's that off putting that it's justifiable to spend the extra $30 (and possibly spend a week on the couch) and go with the MMB's? Or is it really not as aggressive as some have stated and will I happy with the DBM's? If any of you happen to have any sole comparison and address pics of both clubs, I would be ever so grateful! Note: I've mentioned nothing about playability because they both seem to fit what I'm looking for.

Additional question: Has anybody played either of these with the "budget" TT Score offering from Golfworks? I'm currently pricing the set based on the KBS tour 105 package and planning to replace the shaft with the Nippon NS Pro 950GS as they're the same price and Golfworks is cool with that. I realize that these shafts reside in 2 completely different worlds.. but again, going back to price point. It's about an extra $60 difference to the whole package. I can also be OK with a 120g shaft but it's not my top choice.

Cheers!

Hey folks, so I'm also looking for a comparison of the MMB-BLK and the DBM's. If the PTM were just smaller then I wouldn't be having this dilemma as it's really the best looking of the 3 (IMO). I'm so ridiculously torn on which direction to go here. By profession and nature, I'm a high-risk analyst. When I get put in a position where the risks and rewards for 2 potential outcomes seem to be equal, I tend to short circuit (smoke coming out ears). This is one of those situations. I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the DBM's. They seemed to check every box that I was after and they sat at a lower price point from the MMB's (very important). Well after much obsessive forum reading, I learned that the sole of the DBM's is quite wide and visible from the back at address. This then sent me into a tailspin and then I flipped back to the MMB's for consideration. I'm now re-reconsidering my flip and wondering if the DBM's are really that bottom heavy at address? Price point is really an important factor as the additional $30 holds enough weight for me to be a relative factor (this is more of a "honey I promise I won't spend more than $400 this time factor") and with shipping, the price of the MMB's comes to $430. But in my POV, price point and looks are about equal (see how crazy I am about all of this?). So I guess what I'm asking, is.. Is the sole of the DBM's that off putting that it's justifiable to spend the extra $30 (and possibly spend a week on the couch) and go with the MMB's? Or is it really not as aggressive as some have stated and will I happy with the DBM's? If any of you happen to have any sole comparison and address pics of both clubs, I would be ever so grateful! Note: I've mentioned nothing about playability because they both seem to fit what I'm looking for.

Additional question: Has anybody played either of these with the "budget" TT Score offering from Golfworks? I'm currently pricing the set based on the KBS tour 105 package and planning to replace the shaft with the Nippon NS Pro 950GS as they're the same price and Golfworks is cool with that. I realize that these shafts reside in 2 completely different worlds.. but again, going back to price point. It's about an extra $60 difference to the whole package. I can also be OK with a 120g shaft but it's not my top choice.

Cheers!

Not sure if this helps but did you look at the fst shaft lineup. They are very cost friendly. Same company as kbs shafts.

15 hcp

Cheers!

I played the DBM (and have a set of heads) and currently game the MMB. Truthfully, I never noticed the sole width of the DBM at address. Never bothered me...

When I was considering a mixed DBM/MMB set, I had firm graphite put in the DBM 4- and 5-irons, while I have TT DG AMT S300s in the MMB.

The DBM have higher trajectory, but the MMBs are almost equal in total distance (which is what I care about it longer irons) and much better in terms of dispersion.

I bought a Maltby MG grind sand wedge off the bay, and it had a TT Score shaft. I found the shaft very playable and not just a cheap shaft. It was trimmed to be a regular flex, but I felt it played more like a firm (halfway between regular and stiff). The only reason I had it replaced was because I liked the AMTs in my MMBs.

Cheers!

Not sure if this helps but did you look at the fst shaft lineup. They are very cost friendly. Same company as kbs shafts.

I'll have to look into them. I'm looking for a lighter weight shaft that's stable with a mid flight. The FST 115's may fit the bill. Thanks for the lead!

To keep your head spinning more, - a shaft to consider - Dynalite XP Gold. Does not appear on the gw site unless you type in the search function, Set of 8 shafts cost $139 which is a happy medium between the nippon and fst shafts,

I have these xp shafts in my long TE irons and TT Lite XL shafts (parallel) in my scoring irons.

Anyhoo, I really do like the xp shafts.

15 hcp

To keep your head spinning more, - a shaft to consider - Dynalite XP Gold. Does not appear on the gw site unless you type in the search function, Set of 8 shafts cost $139 which is a happy medium between the nippon and fst shafts,

I have these xp shafts in my long TE irons and TT Lite XL shafts (parallel) in my scoring irons.

Anyhoo, I really do like the xp shafts.

I actually have seen the TT Dynalites. Performance wise they also seem to fit the bill. My other issue is that I'm not a club builder. I'm having GW make them for me. From my experience in talking with a couple of cust. svc. reps (PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong here) is that if you opt for a more expensive package with better shaft options, they won't discount the package if you opt for a less expensive shaft than what's in the pack. If you opt for a less expensive pack and want a slightly more expensive shaft, they'll charge the difference in the cost of the more expensive shafts and add to the pack. If I'm already opting for the more expensive pack, I'm definitely going to stick to an XP95 or NSPro 950 as those are my target weights and performance specs. if that makes sense. I'm definitely a guy that NEEDS more of the in-n-out burger approach rather than cheesecake factory. Give me too many choices and my head can literally explode.. which is kind of what's happening here. :P