Maltby DBM/MMB/TE Forged Question

jasonp87

Right now im looking at these heads with Modus 125 shafts and MCC4 grips. Per Golfworks they will build these to my custom specs (a 3/8" length increment with .5SWP progression) and it will be roughly 850$ CDN.

The cheapest i can get a set of irons 4-PW is 1300$ CDN but then id be looking at more to get them custom built to my specs... At minimum 500$ in savings likely much more.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if Golfworks ever does sales? As the season is done im in no rush at all so i can wait for either the new heads or if the DBM ever go on sale.

They don't typically do sales (that I can recall) for their most popular head designs, outside of the "paks" that they always have.

If they do drop the price, it means they are being discontinued

Does anyone know if Golfworks ever does sales? As the season is done im in no rush at all so i can wait for either the new heads or if the DBM ever go on sale.

I have had a half-eye on these for a year or so. They have never been discounted. Occasionally you will see grip promos, free shipping promos and stuff like that. The premium heads like this - if they drop, they are being dropped.

The TE head is a really nice one and it's been around a long time - $29 per head. The DBM head is now $33/head and has not been around as long as the TE.

Above probably gives one idea how much the DBM head might be reduced, if at all.

That being said, above prices are excellent for a forged head, imo.

15 hcp

I remember last year they had a Christmas catalog and the DMB's were on sale, at least for the Canadian market

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

Anyone compared these to the Z545 or Z745? Pondering a combo set...

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

I am a DBM gamer, sorry can't comment on the Z545 comparison... but just noticed your DCT in your bag!!!! I've rocked the DCT for years before shaft adapters took me over to the OEM side. I'm gonna bring my DCT/HOF Patriot back out in play (while I await the cobra f8+).

F9 / Attas Punch
5w - F6 Baffler
4, 3 - Apex 19 Hybrid
6, 5, 4 - Cobra Forged Tec SL
7-P - PXG 0211 ST
52, 58 - Cleveland RTX-3
Toulon Indianapolis

I am a DBM gamer, sorry can't comment on the Z545 comparison... but just noticed your DCT in your bag!!!! I've rocked the DCT for years before shaft adapters took me over to the OEM side. I'm gonna bring my DCT/HOF Patriot back out in play (while I await the cobra f8+).

I’ve had the DBM’s for awhile and love them. The only reason I’m considering changing is because part of me wants an all OEM bag. I’m still rocking the DCT/Enzo combo I bought in 13 from Ken at Victory Custom Golf. It’s a great driver but I’ve since bought a Srixon Z545/Rogue silver that I can’t seem to launch high enough. I tried the Rogue Black in a 3 wood and like it but I’m not exactly sure which route to go. Sell the Srixon driver and 3 wood or keep tinkering with shafts? Also, I’m not sure if I’m going to replace my DBM’s or not. I feel like a shaft change there would help bring my flight up with my 5-7 iron being pretty low from the rough and fairway.

Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Chrome Soft

I've had the DBM's for awhile and love them. The only reason I'm considering changing is because part of me wants an all OEM bag. I'm still rocking the DCT/Enzo combo I bought in 13 from Ken at Victory Custom Golf. It's a great driver but I've since bought a Srixon Z545/Rogue silver that I can't seem to launch high enough. I tried the Rogue Black in a 3 wood and like it but I'm not exactly sure which route to go. Sell the Srixon driver and 3 wood or keep tinkering with shafts? Also, I'm not sure if I'm going to replace my DBM's or not. I feel like a shaft change there would help bring my flight up with my 5-7 iron being pretty low from the rough and fairway.

I cant see the srixons launching higher than the DMB's, as mentioned throughout this subject the DMB's have a very low CG and launch quite high. I currently play 745's 5-PW and love them and they will not be leaving the bag any time soon. the DMB's/TE forged are longer heal to toe but the top line is smaller than the 745's, its going to be more of a personal choice when choosing between the two of what you like to look down at.

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

I have read people on this board reference how cheap these irons are and It peaked my interest . I looked on their website and started doing some math and I don't see the huge discount. Between the heads, shafts and grips and cost to have them built they are well over a $100 a club. Maybe a bit cheaper than most OEMs but not by a ton. Am I missing something?
$304 for a club pack. Add your $100 assembly which you should learn to do yourself and you are still way ahead of any new OEM forged iron,,,, way ahead.

MMB Black has even shorter BBGM than DBM. I was fitted into AMT S300 using OEM demo heads, and soft-stepped knowing they were going into the MMB. Glad I did.
How is life with the Blacks. I'm pkaying the chrome mmb-17 and thinking about grabbing a set of the Blacks before they disappear

LOVE the look in the bag and at address. Reshafted after a good fitting and things really started to come together. I truly believe the tough part with these is getting a proper shaft. I told the fitter I had a specific muscleback blade already in mind and he put me in DG AMT S300 even though my Mizuno Swing DNA fittings had me in mostly firm shafts. Knowing the MMB Black had a low BBTGM compared to the OEMs I hit, I decided to soft step the AMTs, and frankly I feel like I nailed it.

Has anybody had any experience with the TT Score LT shaft that they offer in the club paks? I've read some good things about it, and it seems or sounds like it would be a good fit for me. Currently playing Nippon 1050's in stiff, J15 CB's.

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

I have read people on this board reference how cheap these irons are and It peaked my interest . I looked on their website and started doing some math and I don't see the huge discount. Between the heads, shafts and grips and cost to have them built they are well over a $100 a club. Maybe a bit cheaper than most OEMs but not by a ton. Am I missing something?
$304 for a club pack. Add your $100 assembly which you should learn to do yourself and you are still way ahead of any new OEM forged iron,,,, way ahead.

ah, noting the query above about whether they have sales there. Occasionally you will see free assembly promotions, which would shave a chunk off the total.

Has anybody had any experience with the TT Score LT shaft that they offer in the club paks? I've read some good things about it, and it seems or sounds like it would be a good fit for me. Currently playing Nippon 1050's in stiff, J15 CB's.

I haven't worked with them, but a big difference is that they are "descending" weight, where every club is trimmed from a single "blank". This creates shorter irons that have less shaft weight, because we're trimming away more from the "blank.

On the other hand the Nippons for example, are "discreet" lengths where each club has it's own shaft...and we get constant weight or in some designs ascending weight. The biggest difference is that it creates more "balance" to the swing weight, as the club lengths get shorter in a set

I decided against replacing my DBM’s. They are the best part of my bag so no need to replace them. I may change shafts if I can find a set of KBS Tour 120 stiff flex or I suppose I could order a new set of club paks and sell my current set. I tried the KBS in a buddies I200’s and love them.

Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Chrome Soft

I decided against replacing my DBM's. They are the best part of my bag so no need to replace them. I may change shafts if I can find a set of KBS Tour 120 stiff flex or I suppose I could order a new set of club paks and sell my current set. I tried the KBS in a buddies I200's and love them.

Keep in mind that Ping's have a longer hosel and Bottom of Bore to Ground Measurement. So if you wanted to match the shafts, you would need to soft step into the Maltby's

Cwebb i see you have a lot of experience with maltby heads.

How would u compare mmb to te/dbm?

I believe the obvious are dbm has thinner topline less offset but wider soles?

How would u compare there soles to other heads? I didnt even pay attention to the dbm soles when i hit them lol. Sure didnt seem wide.

I also notice that the MMB appear to have more "tech" if that makes sense. Mmb long irons have undercuts and tungsten. Correct me if im wrong but dbm are the same design from 3 to gw?

Mpf shows the dbm are more forgiving etc but would the added tungsten etc make the dbm more forgiving in long irons?

How would u compare there soles to other heads? I didnt even pay attention to the dbm soles when i hit them lol. Sure didnt seem wide.

I also notice that the MMB appear to have more "tech" if that makes sense. Mmb long irons have undercuts and tungsten. Correct me if im wrong but dbm are the same design from 3 to gw?

Mpf shows the dbm are more forgiving etc but would the added tungsten etc make the dbm more forgiving in long irons?

I know you directed the question to cwebb, and I am interested in his response, too.

I used to game the DBM, and replaced them with the MMB. After a couple of months with the MMB, I think I am going to spend the winter doing simulator comparisons between the 4-iron and 5-iron, with the possibility of putting the DBM back in play.

I don't see much difference in offset or topline at address in either. The black finish makes the toplines of both appear smaller than they are. Can't go wrong with either one. DBM definitely higher launching, but the forgiveness of the MMB is definitely there, too.

This can get confusing with the names DBM and MMB, being so close. I have to be careful not to mix them up in writing. So i'l just use the first letter for them

The D's have slightly wider soles with a little more "radius", which makes them play to a little higher "effective bounce". They do have a noticeably thinner top-line.

The M's I would describe as a "semi-combo" set. The 8-Gw are straight muscle-back. Then the 7 & 6 have a "concave" back, that is almost like a cavity. They also have a "notch" cut from the heel side, which helps them keep the COG (sweetspot) out in the middle of the face. Then the 5,4,3 are the same, but with the addition of a permanent tungsten toe weight, which also keeps the COG out on the face. They do not have an "undercut"....just the "concave" back on 7-3.

Since the Golfworks always makes sure that the sweetspot is in the center of all their designs, I'm not sure why the tungsten was needed. Could be just a visual marketing thing, maybe it raises the MOI slightly...I'm not sure here. I wouldn't describe them as a "high-tech" design, or more so than the D's. They're just a little different.

The M's have a bit higher COG (sweetspot), which I've found can help players who need to keep spin down. They also have slight progressive offset, where the Pw is 2.5 millimeters up to the 3 which have 3.5 mm. Slight, but noticeable to those who are detailed.

I consider the D's to have more "effective bounce" than what their bounce angle specs show. They wouldn't have a dig tendency for most. I found the M's to dig slightly more in comparison, because they have less leading edge radius and a slightly narrower sole.

One thing I've always liked about Maltby and the Golfworks designs, is that I know they will always make sure the COG (sweetspot) is in the exact visual center of the face....and they will let us know exactly how high it is. An important fitting detail. This factor of COG in the exact center of the face, makes their designs more forgiving towards the toe, in comparison to many others. Many companies allow their COG to be slightly towards the heel....leading to unforgiving towards the toe.

IMO, they are the leaders in detailed sweet spot positioning. As basic as this might seem, it's not. Not every popular company is good at this.

I think this covers it, let me know if there's anything else

I know you directed the question to cwebb, and I am interested in his response, too.

I used to game the DBM, and replaced them with the MMB. After a couple of months with the MMB, I think I am going to spend the winter doing simulator comparisons between the 4-iron and 5-iron, with the possibility of putting the DBM back in play.

I don't see much difference in offset or topline at address in either. The black finish makes the toplines of both appear smaller than they are. Can't go wrong with either one. DBM definitely higher launching, but the forgiveness of the MMB is definitely there, too.

Seeing as uve gamed both how about ur opinions on both.

First tell us aboit yourself and your game? Hcp strength weakness. Speed/swing type?

Obviously u have no launch monitor data but how would u compare them in terms of looks forgiveness distance launch spin etc. Do you have same shaft in both? Did you find one better overall or better in just say the mid short or long irons?

Would u mind posting comparison pics of a 4i 7i and pw?

And if u ever get them on a LM please post ur #s.