2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Maltby DBM/MMB/TE Forged Question

jasonp87

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as uve gamed both how about ur opinions on both.

First tell us aboit yourself and your game? Hcp strength weakness. Speed/swing type?

Obviously u have no launch monitor data but how would u compare them in terms of looks forgiveness distance launch spin etc. Do you have same shaft in both? Did you find one better overall or better in just say the mid short or long irons?

Would u mind posting comparison pics of a 4i 7i and pw?

And if u ever get them on a LM please post ur #s.

Me: 50 years old. Bogey golfer. Driver SS - low 90s; 6-iron - low 80s. Irons and wedges always strength of my game. Distance challenged, but improving mechanics. Taught myself to hit a draw this past summer. Played the DBMs with KBS Tour R. After learning to draw, I could tell my swing change needed different shafts, and I told a fitter I wanted a shaft to fit a muscleback blade. The DG AMT S300 were a clear winner. I decided to have them soft-stepped specifically because Maltby's BBTGM is really low.

Looks - The MMB kicked the DBM out of the bag, primarily on looks. Look in the bag. Look at address. (I don't see as much difference in top lines and offset between the two. Main difference is you can tell the DBM screams forgiveness with the cavity (reminds me of the old Wilson Tour Cast) and a definitely wider sole.

Forgiveness - As the irons get longer, the forgiveness of the DBM emerges more. The Tungsten in the longer MMBs does not make up for the cavities in the DBM.

Distance - I think they're comparable. Lofts are similar. I attribute five extra yards on the MMBs to my improved swing over when I played the DBM. I'm currently hitting the DBM 4- and 5-irons with some older Matrix graphite. I need to reshaft them with the AMTs for a better comparison.

Launch - MMB slightly lower than DBM, but more noticeable as I get to the longer irons. I don't think the Tungsten inserts in the MMB are as effective as the larger cavities in the DBM at getting the ball up. But, the Matrix shafts in the DBMs are just different from the AMTs in the MMB.

Awesome. Thanks. Yah im much more sensitive to offset and toplines. I definetly can tell the difference in a picture im sure i can in person.

How would u compare them for sound and feel.

And yah the shafts will definetly play a big difference. The Matrix is way different then even the kbs r.

Also if u could or dont mind posting comparison pictures of a long mid iron and the PW?

Awesome. Thanks. Yah im much more sensitive to offset and toplines. I definetly can tell the difference in a picture im sure i can in person.

And yah the shafts will definetly play a big difference. The Matrix is way different then even the kbs r.

Also if u could or dont mind posting comparison pictures of a long mid iron and the PW?

Feel - IMO, the feel and sound are similar, maybe because they both have the DBM finish? Which, BTW I am SO impressed with the looks of both because of that finish. I wish Maltby could find a way to make the DBM finish more malleable so as to allow larger loft and lie adjustments. I know cwebb said he's bent them as much as 2 degrees, though...

Feel - IMO, the feel and sound are similar, maybe because they both have the DBM finish? Which, BTW I am SO impressed with the looks of both because of that finish. I wish Maltby could find a way to make the DBM finish more malleable so as to allow larger loft and lie adjustments. I know cwebb said he's bent them as much as 2 degrees, though...

I was told it wasn’t a finish but that the metal used was black. That’s why it holds up so well.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I was told it wasn’t a finish but that the metal used was black. That’s why it holds up so well.

Edit: Here's the Golfworks DBM brochure:

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/2013_article_DBM.pdf

This is from the Golfworks website. I don't know how something can be a "finish" yet make the base steel more "adjustable"...

• "DBM" Diamonized Black Metal finish is a chemically implanted finish that is more wear resistant, corrosion resistant and scratch resistant than any carbon steel finish currently available.
  • DBM finish increases surface hardness without affecting the feel and actually enhances the adjustability aspects of the 1035 carbon steel.

Those of you that have experienced the high launch of the DBM’s, have you also experienced high spin numbers. I am seeing this for myself in the ping I blades despite x100 shafts.

There's nothing else about the design of the DBM/TE that would promote a high flight, other than their low COG (sweet spot). With that said, all else equal....if this design aspect produces a high flight for a given player....it will also produce higher spin.

Despite what seems to be popular belief, irons/wedges do not have vertical gear effect. So when the COG arrives further below the center of the ball, it produces higher launch and higher spin.

So if a player finds that they need to lower flight, again all else equal,....try a design that has a higher COG (sweetspot). Just make sure when looking at the MPF measurements to look at "Actual" VCOG, which is the height of the sweetspot. Do not mistakenly look at "Basic" VCOG.

In the comparison of the DBM/TE and the MMB, I've found the AVCOG difference of .675" and .741" is enough for some players to find a difference

This is from the Golfworks website. I don't know how something can be a "finish" yet make the base steel more "adjustable"...

• "DBM" Diamonized Black Metal finish is a chemically implanted finish that is more wear resistant, corrosion resistant and scratch resistant than any carbon steel finish currently available.
  • DBM finish increases surface hardness without affecting the feel and actually enhances the adjustability aspects of the 1035 carbon steel.

The part about enhancing the adjustability is not true in my experience. It certainly does enhance the durability. Maybe that's a typo and they chose the wrong word

What would a used set buy in very good shape be worth? I built the 7i but have a buddy who has a whole set and wants to move them. Wondering what they would be worth? $300? Xclaibur shafts.

Less than $200.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Less than $200.

Oh wow. That’s a no brainer. Thanks

The difference in feel of the DBM mad MMB are distinct. The DBM have a softer feel and a possibly muted sound. The MMB have a very crisp feel on solid contact and not solid can be described as clicky.

I now game the MMB as for me they are a much more precise iron. I don't find them any harder to hit and the flight for me is lower and just right. For the look of the iron the forgiveness is quite shocking.

The design is truly progressive and each iron is slightly different where as the DBM are as near identical as can be throughout the set.

I also find the MMB long irons to be more forgiving, but that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

DBM seems to have lasted test of time since 2013 release.

If you want to talk about standing the test of time....the original design of these, was called the M0-5 and was released in 2003. They changed the graphics in 2007 and was named the MTF. Then in 2010, they made the grooves conform to rule change and the model name is the TE.

The DBM is the same design, but with 1* lower lofts

Thanks eddie. Appreciate it. Curious do you have another players CB to post a comparison of all 3?

Im guessing those are MMB blacks on the right? Their topline doesnt actually look much thicker at all. Now im confused as to which id get bah lol.

How do you find the playability of the te vs the mmb. Forgiveness distance flight feel etc.

Thank you very much you bunch of muppets!!! Thank you very much. You lot have forced me to spend ± $600 on a set of 4-GW DBMs and the MG Tour Grind. I hope you all feel very good about yourselves.

:taunt:

On a serious note, I have been eyeing these irons for quite a while. I have a very low ball flight and very low spin. About 4000rpm from a 6 iron last time I checked and struggle with toe hits and mostly a touch thin. Looking forward to these.

PING G400 MAX, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 SFT 3W, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 7W, Tour AD-BB
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW, Modus 120
Mizuno T-20 52, 56, 60, DG Tour Isssue
TM Spider CS
Titleist Pro V1x

They are both more forgiving than they look, especially on thin or toe hits. The te's are more forgiving, a high handicapper would have no problem with them. The mmb's are not far behind though, I was originnaly thinking of a mixed set but don't have a problem with the long irons.

The te's sole is a bit wider and leading edge a bit more rounded. The mmb's sole is wide for a blade though.

The te's feel solid, soft, smooth on most strikes. You have to be way off to feel it. The mmb's feel clicky on mishits. Most of these still find the green and are within 5 yards of a perfect strike.

Distance is too close to call between the two. I hit same club from the same spots. They are a club behind the newer loft jacked clubs.

I think the te's fly a bit higher but it's close.

Toplines 5mm vs 6mm. It's noticeable, but I don't find either to be chunky.

The mmb's have progressive offset. It's noticeable on the 4 iron, even though it's tough to see in the picture. It's still not bad in my opinion.

Blade lenghths appear to be the same and are probably on the long side for a players iron or blade. The mmb's look a bit more compact at address though.

The mmb's have a shallower face (~1/8 inch)

Im currently playing the mmb's.

Im guessing those are MMB blacks on the right? Their topline doesnt actually look much thicker at all. Now im confused as to which id get bah lol.

I would suggest not basing your decision on a millimeter or two of difference in a top-line. You'll quickly get used to whatever performs well

100% i agree. But as i cant demo either i need to make an educated guess. Also for me how a clubhead presents at address makes a big difference.

On a side note i see the mmb is onlu about 11.5moi vs thr 12.5 or so of the dbm. Is that signficiant. I know their mpf is close