Emily Nash

She shot the lowest score, she played the same tees, but was denied the title because of gender (Tourney rules say championship can only be won by a male). My opinion, she won the boys championship.

http://golfweek.com/2017/10/26/outrage-grows-as-high-school-golfer-emily-nash-gets-no-relief-from-massachusetts-rules-committee/

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems dumb to allow her to play but not compete. Oh well though, life isn't always fair.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

My initial thought was what would happen if a boy played in the girls championship and won? would it be an outrage if they were denied the title? I highly doubt so.

I think the correct move would have been denying her the chance to play in the competition in the first place. I am sure she and other girls with her ability have no problems competing against the boys. However, If you open up the boys competition to girls then the girls competitions should be opened up to the boys (without any outrage... yeah right).

When I was a kid I played in a football league with a max weight limit, and there are under 6' basketball leagues etc. Typically if the lightweight and/or shorter kid can compete with the bigger kids it's green light though. So, it seems fair to me to allow a girl to play with the boys if they are capable. Girls mature faster than boys and often times they are just as good or better than boys their same age. That quickly changes as the boys reach puberty though.

At any rate, we should encourage women/girls in sports. It does seem a little unfair in this example but so goes life.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I kinda agree with hats... but I also think it's silly that the USWNT gets mad they aren't being paid as much as the USMNT (soccer). we could just open it up and only have 1 championship. but then a ton of girls would have nothing to compete for. imagine Uconn women's bball having to play Duke men or something. Why even bother.

There should be separate championships. But once they allowed her to play they should have given her the trophy.

Either way this works out for her. Shes getting a ton of press that she otherwise wouldn't have if they had just given her the trophy.

Looks like in the end she scored something much better than the MIAA trophy according to Golfweek in another story...

"Now Nash got something much better than a mere trophy. She scored a phone call from Annika Sorenstam and a special exemption into the AJGA ANNIKA Invitational, an invitation-only junior event hosted by Sorenstam."

As I posted elsewhere, she knew going into it that she was only competing as part of the boys' team competition, not for the individual title. She can play in the spring for the individual girls' title. I think it was pretty cool that they let her play on the boys' team since her school does not have a girls team.

As I posted elsewhere, she knew going into it that she was only competing as part of the boys' team competition, not for the individual title. She can play in the spring for the individual girls' title. I think it was pretty cool that they let her play on the boys' team since her school does not have a girls team.

From what I remember reading I thought the coaches knew before but she didn't until afterwards?

Per the article as I recall, the tournament directors say she did, but she and her dad say no.

I am just hearing about this so please forgive me if this has been asked and answered in another thread.

Female Golfer is allowed to play in Male Tourney. I understand that learning to cope in a competition setting is important, but it sounds like she didn't know that she would be ineligible to actually win the individual trophy.

The Tourney people say she did know? Her and her Dad said they didn't?

This seems like a very bizarre situation fraught with way too many issues. Maybe don't consider it next time unless the rules are in writing for all to see?

I am just hearing about this so please forgive me if this has been asked and answered in another thread.

Female Golfer is allowed to play in Male Tourney. I understand that learning to cope in a competition setting is important, but it sounds like she didn't know that she would be ineligible to actually win the individual trophy.

The Tourney people say she did know? Her and her Dad said they didn't?

This seems like a very bizarre situation fraught with way too many issues. Maybe don't consider it next time unless the rules are in writing for all to see?

The rules are in writing. She was allowed to play and her score counted towards the team event but not individual.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

She didn’t win the individual title because she wasn’t entered in the individual tournament. Her coach is responsible for knowing the rules of the competition; if she didn’t know, then take it up with her coach.

They were doing a favor to girls from schools without a girl’s team and it bit them in the butt. The attention this has gotten will limit opportunities for girls, not expand them. People need to let this go.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

She finished 14th last year in the girls competition I read. Why is she in the boys competition?

In any case, she should be declared the winner.

In Minnesota back in the 90’s, I think, a cross country boy was running as an individual in the state finals since his team didn’t qualify. He won the race, by at least a minute. Because he wasn’t on a team he was not declared the winner. The boy that finished second was on a team and he was declared the winner. How stupid.

She didn’t win the individual title because she wasn’t entered in the individual tournament. Her coach is responsible for knowing the rules of the competition; if she didn’t know, then take it up with her coach.

They were doing a favor to girls from schools without a girl’s team and it bit them in the butt. The attention this has gotten will limit opportunities for girls, not expand them. People need to let this go.

They were not doing the girls a "favor." Girls are allowed to compete on their high school's boys' team if there is no girls team. Emily earned her spot on the team as demonstrated by her performance during the season and by winning the sectionals tournament.

What hasn't been mentioned which I gleaned from the article, the winner offered her his trophy. If nothing else makes sense, that was a solid as heck move on his part. I know I wouldn't feel right "winning" in that circumstance either. Of course the only time I win in golf is when I play against my dad. He's terrible and the 18 strokes I give him every time we play messes with his mind since he's more capable of bogey golf than I am of par golf. He usually is winning most of the round. Until he hits his blowup hole. 3 straight shanks into the lake on 17 usually tilts the score into my favor, ha! Thanks to a decent forecast he'll get at least one more chance to unseat my 4 match streak tomorrow morning.

Solid move on the "champions" part though. He knew he didn't win so why not give it to your FC that did? I'd like to think I'd do that too. My solo golf trophy has long been lost anyways. My kids don't believe I ever won one which is the only crying shame about it. It used to sit on my fireplace mantle. I wouldn't be surprised if my wife threw it out too-after being subjected to hearing The Story about it for the 310th time.

What hasn't been mentioned which I gleaned from the article, the winner offered her his trophy. If nothing else makes sense, that was a solid as heck move on his part. I know I wouldn't feel right "winning" in that circumstance either. Of course the only time I win in golf is when I play against my dad. He's terrible and the 18 strokes I give him every time we play messes with his mind since he's more capable of bogey golf than I am of par golf. He usually is winning most of the round. Until he hits his blowup hole. 3 straight shanks into the lake on 17 usually tilts the score into my favor, ha! Thanks to a decent forecast he'll get at least one more chance to unseat my 4 match streak tomorrow morning.

Solid move on the "champions" part though. He knew he didn't win so why not give it to your FC that did? I'd like to think I'd do that too. My solo golf trophy has long been lost anyways. My kids don't believe I ever won one which is the only crying shame about it. It used to sit on my fireplace mantle. I wouldn't be surprised if my wife threw it out too-after being subjected to hearing The Story about it for the 310th time.

Totally off topic. But it popped into my head when reading your post. And it is worth saying. Savor every round you get with dad. One of my biggest regrets attached to the game is that I never got a chance to be on the golf course with the man who raised me. And he worked under an architect building courses for a living , yet didn't play. If I had time to do over I would have made it happen. Just food for thought. Not saying you don't already.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Actually it was mentioned. 3 weeks ago the last time this was discussed in another thread.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Actually it was mentioned. 3 weeks ago the last time this was discussed in another thread.

Lol. Sorry this is my first encounter with it and it wasn't mentioned in this thread.

For the gentleman that mentioned to treasure every round with dad, I sure as heck do. We've always got along fine but I have gone a full year without seeing or talking to him several times. Kind of sad since he's always lived close by. Neither he or I are telephone talkers without a specific purpose such as setting up plans for golfing. We've played a morning round every week the weathers been decent since late summer so this is the most I've seen him as an adult. He didn't play for about 15 years until recently getting back into the game due to some health reasons with his hands mainly. He couldn't grip a club. Finally found out that he was sensitive to Gluten and removed it from his diet and he's in better shape than ever. Still stinks at golf though.