G400 Fairways

Morry

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played the G400 3 wood and it is really a great performer. Sound, feel and forgiveness are excellent. Distance isn't quite there.

IMO the 2017 M2 is still the best out there.

Driver: Titleist TSI2 10.0*

3 Wood:  TM SIM2 TI 15*

Hybrid:  TM Sim2 21.0*

Irons:  Cleveland 588TT 5-GP

SW:  Cleveland Zipcore CBX 56*

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot OG #5

Ball:  Titleist Prov1

G400 fairway is fantastic - very easy to hit/launch off the deck. So much so I've ditched one of my hybrids to add a 5 wood.

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9* // Autoflex 505

Titleist TSi2 16.5* // Vista Pro 65s

Titleist TSi1 21*, 24* // Vista Pro 60s

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW // KBS TGI 80

Mizuno T22 49.6, 53.10, 57.11 // Recoil 95

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 // Accra x L.A.B.

I have seen others play the G400 3 wood and there was no distance issue whatsoever. They come in a couple of lofts so have to make sure it is the 14.5 for max distance over the 16 degree SFT version. (That is the one I would want.)

What sets it apart is it is so easy to hit off the turf.

Yeah, I haven't had any issues with distance. If anything, I've picked up a few yards over my previous 3w and 5w.

Hit 14.5 with even flow black 75 and it was pretty long, very straight and easy to launch. Think I am going to order both Driver and 3W

this is Exactly the setup i was looking at doing - with the even flow black 75.....how does it compare to your previous gamer for length and moi

driver is a stud in both those categories

thanks

Picked up 6 yards of carry over current gamer (Titleist 910) and 10 total yards. Club speed was up 1MPH, ball speed up 2.5mph, but I was just hitting it more solid. Smash factor up, spin rate down some.

Just felt like this was a more solid/consistent 3W that was easier to hit.

Not sure if I will go with this one quite yet, as I may just look for something that is really hot.

I purchased the 3 wood when it came out. At first I used it mainly off the tee. It was so accurate and forgiving. Tried it off the deck and was surprised how easy it was to hit. So went out and bought the 5 Wood. Now the 5 Wood is easily one of my best clubs in my bag. Launches perfect and lands softly onto greens.

I have the G400 Driver (SFT 10.5), 3-wood (SFT in 'O' setting) and 5-wood. I really think the fairway's are easy to hit off the deck and off tee when necessary. However, I DO have significant distance loss. I was hitting Callaway GBB 3-wood and 5-wood previously and the G400 are shorter by 10-15 yards for me. However, the accuracy and forgiveness have previously out-weighed the distance loss.

I am now changing my mind...

This has created a bit of dilemma in gaps at the top end of my bag between the Driver and 3-wood on mid length tight par 4's. The GBB 3-wood leaves me with a longer shot into the green on these type of holes. At my club there are several of these holes.

I am now considering ditching the G400 fairways and moving to the Epics or Taylormades.

I know this would seem unlikely to have been done (I'd imagine), but has anyone tried hotmelting a Ping SFT (fairway or driver for that matter) to a fade bias to neutralize the draw weighting? I want the 16ish degree 3w head from Ping. I know I can always open the face of the 5w (17.5*) but was curious if maybe hitting a 16* SFT fairway that is hotmelted could get a good effect.

Ping G410LST 9* - Graphite Design AD-MT 6s
Taylormade Original One 11.5* - Graphite Design AD-DI 6s
Taylormade M5 16.3  - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green PVD 70 6.0
Titleist 818 h2 21* - Graphite Design AD-DI 95hyb
Ping i210 5i-7i - Steelfiber 115fc f4
Ping iBlade 8i-9i - Steelfiber 115fc f4
Titleist Vokey SM7 raw 48* - Accra Spt Wedge 125g
Titleist Vokey SM8 54* - Accra Spt Wedge 125g
Titleist Vokey Prototype 60L - Steelfiber 125s
Scotty Cameron Newport Button Back - BGT Stability
Srixon Z-Star Yellow (2021)

I have the G400 Driver (SFT 10.5), 3-wood (SFT in 'O' setting) and 5-wood. I really think the fairway's are easy to hit off the deck and off tee when necessary. However, I DO have significant distance loss. I was hitting Callaway GBB 3-wood and 5-wood previously and the G400 are shorter by 10-15 yards for me. However, the accuracy and forgiveness have previously out-weighed the distance loss.

This has created a bit of dilemma in gaps at the top end of my bag between the Driver and 3-wood on mid length tight par 4's. The GBB 3-wood leaves me with a longer shot into the green on these type of holes. At my club there are several of these holes.

I am now considering ditching the G400 fairways and moving to the Epics or Taylormades.

Almost definitely spin related, and should look into other lower spin shafts if you prefer the G400 forgiveness and accuracy.

I know this would seem unlikely to have been done (I'd imagine), but has anyone tried hotmelting a Ping SFT (fairway or driver for that matter) to a fade bias to neutralize the draw weighting? I want the 16ish degree 3w head from Ping. I know I can always open the face of the 5w (17.5*) but was curious if maybe hitting a 16* SFT fairway that is hotmelted could get a good effect.

The draw weighting is only 5-7 yards of movement. I hardly notice it. Ball just mostly goes straight. I can hit a nice baby fade with my SFT driver. You could reduce the loft by .6 degrees to open the face and see if that works. Or buy the standard 14.5 head and play it at 15.5. I don't fight a slice, but I like the SFT head anyway.

G400 fairway is fantastic - very easy to hit/launch off the deck. So much so I've ditched one of my hybrids to add a 5 wood.

did you end up re-shafting the senior flex you took in on trade or did you sell those and buy new ones? I'm super keen on trying the g400 3w and replacing my cobra.

The G400 is an awesome driver. I have demoed the 3W and it’s just as great for me. I didn’t notice any distance loss. And it’s so easy to hit straight. Even a buddy of mine who doesn’t even carry fairway woods because he can’t seem to hit them hit the G400 really well. It will be the next club I add to the bag.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

Almost definitely spin related, and should look into other lower spin shafts if you prefer the G400 forgiveness and accuracy.

Thank you...I will certainly look into this.

Recently got the G400 LST to replace my trusty G30 LST and I've loved the change so much, that I decided to get a G400 3W as well. I'm upgrading from a Callaway XR16 and needed to decide on a standard G400 3W or the SFT version.

I hit the Cally first to get a baseline. Hit the standard G400 second and was ready to switch just after that but to make the most informed decision possible, I also had to hit the SFT. While the G400 showed noticeable improvement from my current gamer, the SFT was the easiest 3W I've ever hit in my life and because of that, that's what I decided on. It's too straight and easy to ignore.

I may have to upgrade my hybrid now...

Ping G425 Max - Tensei Orange 
Cobra SZ 3 Wood - Tensei Blue 
Ping G425 3 Hybrid - Tensei Orange 
Srixon ZX5, 4i-PW - Modus 
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 - 50, 55, 60
Odyssey 2Ball TEN Tour-Lined, Slant Neck

did you end up re-shafting the senior flex you took in on trade or did you sell those and buy new ones? I'm super keen on trying the g400 3w and replacing my cobra.

Sorry, missed this - I had the senior flex hybrids from a trade (sold them), the G400 woods I bought regular flex. 3 wood from eBay, and the 5 wood I traded some stuff into global golf for and bought new. The G400 hybrid I have is also regular flex, and also from global golf via trade ins/coupons.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for more reviews/testimonials on the Ping G400 fairways, and since the last post here was in late-November I thought I'd ask for some responses. I'm leaning more toward the SFT fairways, but am open to any/all comments.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

MPM1960

Callaway Epic Flash Star Driver, 10.5 Degrees, R Flex
Callaway Epic Flash Star Fairways, 3 Wood and 5 Wood, R Flex

Callaway Epic Flash Star Hybrids, 3H, 4H, 5H and 6H, R Flex

Callaway Epic Forged Star Irons, 7-PW, R Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole 4 GW

Cleveland Smart Sole 4 SW
Ping Heppler Tomcat 14 Putter, Length set at 33.5 inches

I'm looking for more reviews/testimonials on the Ping G400 fairways, and since the last post here was in late-November I thought I'd ask for some responses. I'm leaning more toward the SFT fairways, but am open to any/all comments.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

MPM1960

I went with the SFT in the G fairways primarily because my miss is more right and the SFT's are easier to elevate. If neither of these are issues for you, I'd stick with the standard G400.

[u][b]Driver[/b][/u]: PING G400 MAX 10.5 degree, Project X Evenflow Black 6.0
[u][b]3 wood[/b][/u]: PING G410 SF Tec 16 degree Project X Evenflow Black 6.0
[b][u]Hybrids:[/u] [/b]PING G410 19 degree Tensei CK Blue Pro 80-Stiff 
[u][b]Irons[/b][/u]: PING i210 4-UW, Project X LZ 6.0
[u][b]Wedges[/b][/u]: PING Glide 3.0, 54SS / 58ES DGS300
[u][b]Putter[/b][/u]: Axis 1 Joey.

I got the G400 5 wood and opened the face 1 degree. It’s basically a 4-wood now and it’s awesome! Easy to launch, great off the tee, and distance comparable with a normal 3-wood for me.

I have one on the way and this is exactly what I am planning on doing with mine.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 12* Ventus Red
Fairway: Ping G400 17* Aldila 2KXV Orange
Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21* Tour AD-DI
Driving Iron: New Level NLU-01 4 iron Steelfiber i95
Irons: New Level 902 Forged 5-PW KBS TGI 80
Wedges: Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 62*
Putter: Sik Flo C
Ball: Taylormade TP5X Pix

Have the driver and 3 wood. Coming from the epic driver and 3 wood. I picked up yardage and accuracy in the 3 wood. Driver distance is comparable but 400is way more accurate.

3 wood distance was greater in the g400 than epic?

that is excellent news

my concern was a distance shortfall.....

excellent feedback

agree100% on the driver comments

thanks!

I have a G400 3 wood at (-) setting and it is the best combination of forgiveness, accuracy, and distance I have ever had. I think the shaft is also just as important but the clubhead itself screams PING; it gets the job done.

[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]G400 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 60S
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]G400 14.5* Kuro Kage XM 70 S
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]G400 Hybrid 19* Tour 85 S
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]i200 4, iblade 5~PW Steelfiber i95R or [color=#800000][b]Srixon[/b][/color] z565 4~6, z765 7~AW Steelfiber i95S
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]Glide 2.0 50SS, 54SS, Glide 58ES
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]Ketsch Heavy 34 Superstroke Pistol GT 1.0 Countercore
[img]http://forum.mygolfspy.com/public/style_emoticons/default/ping-small.jpg[/img]Hoofer 14