Does the quality of your clubs eclipse the quality of your swing/game?

AceDad

Not as bad as folks that slow poke around in their Porsches.

I think Leo says it best. You see guys driving Porsche 911 Turbos, GT3's and evenGT2's which are race ready street cars $200k monters. When some punk driving a loud Civic can probably outdrive the Porsche guys is quite embarrassing. But is he not supposed to have that Porsche gt2 he rightfully paid for with his hard work or inheritance he got from Aunt Matilda??

The benefit of living in this world is we can all do whatever we want. This isn't Russia or any other communist country where everyone is supposed to be the same even though they never are. We can suck at golf and have a full bag of PXG's or be scratch and still play some MP33's with black rust spots on every iron. Its our choice and up to us what we spend our $$ on and then what time is involved.

Benny, OMG. Is anyone here saying people should give up the clubs they love? And you bring a Russia conspiracy into the topic? Only few have accurately answered the simple yet humorous topic. Why are so many of you offended or defensive? Seriously, I'd love to know.

I'm not offended or defensive but I think if you read a lot of the forums here regularly you'll see there is a lot of judgement / criticisms made on these threads. Why do you hoard golf balls, why do you own so many sets of golf clubs, why would you spend money on PXG.

It's an undertone possibly based on envy, politics or just personal beliefs that permeates many of the threads here so I can understand why some are defensive.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are so many of you offended or defensive? Seriously, I'd love to know.

Tim, this a hobby forum. People have many pressures and frustrations in life --- e.g., health issues, professional stumbles, economic setbacks, family qualms...just to name a few. A hobby forum provides an avenue for people to practice self-righteous indignation in a relatively safe, relatively anonymous setting. If people practiced this same self-righteous indignation in their real life, they could be fired from their jobs, exiled from families, etc. Importantly, the ability to vent on trivial topics can subconsciously function as a release valve. Think of all the livelihoods the ability to wax petty, profane, illogical, and emotionally inappropriate to the situation WRX is saving!! Wax on, Wax off.

covert 2.0 driver
baffler rail f 3w, 5w
mp15 4i-p
sm6 50 54 58
8802 milled
chrome soft

Not as bad as folks that slow poke around in their Porsches.

I think Leo says it best. You see guys driving Porsche 911 Turbos, GT3's and evenGT2's which are race ready street cars $200k monters. When some punk driving a loud Civic can probably outdrive the Porsche guys is quite embarrassing. But is he not supposed to have that Porsche gt2 he rightfully paid for with his hard work or inheritance he got from Aunt Matilda??

The benefit of living in this world is we can all do whatever we want. This isn't Russia or any other communist country where everyone is supposed to be the same even though they never are. We can suck at golf and have a full bag of PXG's or be scratch and still play some MP33's with black rust spots on every iron. Its our choice and up to us what we spend our $$ on and then what time is involved.

Benny, OMG. Is anyone here saying people should give up the clubs they love? And you bring a Russia conspiracy into the topic? Only few have accurately answered the simple yet humorous topic. Why are so many of you offended or defensive? Seriously, I'd love to know.

I'm not offended or defensive but I think if you read a lot of the forums here regularly you'll see there is a lot of judgement / criticisms made on these threads. Why do you hoard golf balls, why do you own so many sets of golf clubs, why would you spend money on PXG.

It's an undertone possibly based on envy, politics or just personal beliefs that permeates many of the threads here so I can understand why some are defensive.

I guess you're right. The nature of the beast. Frankly, I shouldn't be surprised. I've seen so many flame wars over the years, no wonder people are defensive.

I suppose an OTT Russia conspiracy theory shouldn't get between friends, eh?

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

Tim, this a hobby forum. People have many pressures and frustrations in life --- e.g., health issues, professional stumbles, economic setbacks, family qualms...just to name a few. A hobby forum provides an avenue for people to practice self-righteous indignation in a relatively safe, relatively anonymous setting. If people practiced this same self-righteous indignation in their real life, they could be fired from their jobs, exiled from families, etc. Importantly, the ability to vent on trivial topics can subconsciously function as a release valve. Think of all the livelihoods the ability to wax petty, profane, illogical, and emotionally inappropriate to the situation WRX is saving!! Wax on, Wax off.

Wow, is that why I'm here? Hmmm. But I do think there is a large grain of truth, perhaps a boulder of truth, in what you say.

My problem is I try to talk sense and purpose in the environment you describe, lol. Might as well put a target on my avatar.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

This needs to be pinned in the rules of WRX thread or by laws or what ever it's called.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Wow, is that why I'm here? Hmmm. But I do think there is a large grain of truth, perhaps a boulder of truth, in what you say.

My problem is I try to talk sense and purpose in the environment you describe, lol. Might as well put a target on my avatar.

One is generally more likely to get fired from their job for talking "sense" to their boss than for almost any other reason. Once one steps on their boss's ego by directly telling him or her in front of others that anything they are doing is counter to good common sense, the ego based annoyance clock starts counting down.

In the real world:

Rule #1: people do things for their reasons, not ours

Rule #2: the boss is pretty much always right

Rule #3: the customer is definitely always right

Rule #4: instead of "Fred" telling someone else why they are wrong and he is right about something,

"Fred" should explain why he himself was wrong about something until a friend offered a

different perspective. "Fred" will go far.

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

I never understand this debate. I think it usually stems from some sort of jealousy or just a need to brag about doing more with less. When I was fishing all the time, I never looked at a guy throwing $350 Sustain reels and thought, man what is he doing. He doesn't catch fish but wasted all that money on nice gear. Golf is a very cheap hobby, and dropping $2k on the "tools" to play the game is nothing. That's great that you play well with a $700 bag. Play your game and don't worry about others and what they have.

Also, I think you are mixing two different discussions. Playing clubs that don't fit your ability, and playing the nicest new gear even though you don't shoot very well. Nothing wrong with either IMO, but the former is a little tougher to understand than the latter.

Golf is cheap??! You're quite incorrect.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

To get back on topic or possibly to fuel the fire....

I know my irons are more for someone a bit better than me, but I could care less. My money, I get to buy what I want! Plus it doesn't take away an enjoyment from the game. Should I be playing full blades as a 9? No, do they give me more confidence... again no. Does it make me concentrate more throughout the round. Absolutely and that makes me have more fun when I score well and lets me know I need to practice more when I don't.

This needs to be pinned in the rules of WRX thread or by laws or what ever it's called.

Putting a license to kvetch into the bylaws ain't a good idea. I think mountaintop was being just a snitch tongue-in-cheek.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Well done. Even though a Harry Potter reference would have solidified a snitch triple ententre.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

My game definitely eclipses the quality of my clubs. It is not by choice but because of necessity. 10 years ago I could easily be the guy that can afford the latest tech from a major OEM but like most people have been affected because of the great recession of 2008. Since I don't earn as much as I did back then I had to make do with the best clubs I can afford. Any money that I do have that could've gone to club upgrading went to driving range balls. In 3 years of hard work redoing my swing from scratch I gone from a player shooting in the 90s to one shooting in the 70s, all with a bunch of clubs with a combined value that is less than a new set of irons.

That's what I am talking about! Recognizing it and then putting the effort into your swing and game and making it better. Range balls, hard work and practice instead of new clubs! Awesome!

My big thing is watching some not letting go of their ego. An older gentleman that i have played with still wants to play blades, a 2 iron, an 8.5 driver with a D+ 72 whiteboard, s300 shafts etc. He is over 70 years old and thinks they are the best clubs for his game. Who cares how much the cost, and some are quality clubs but they totally eclipse his swing and game! He is lucky to break 90 with them all for the simple fact he is not willing to let go of the fact that he is not physically able to swing them the way he should. Too heavy, wrong setup and just everything. Why play something that is going to hurt your game instead of help it?!

I wish more people could check their ego at the door and get clubs that are really suited to them. Don't be the guy who brags that he can belt it 280 when in reality it is only 180. Know what your true swing speed and your actual iron distances and play off tees suitable to that . You many not like what your local trackman will say but if you swallow your pride and accept the natural talent God gave you you will hit more GIR, shoot lower scores, and enjoy the game more.

Will "clubs suited for them" change the fact that they say they can hit it 280 but not even get a sniff of that? I don't think it will. The guys that say that, probably know they can't even get it close to the number they report, but they are also very likely the ones on here that post their HI as a 6. They probably wouldn't believe what TM has to say and would believe it was a software error. I just don't understand the argument that getting clubs more suited to a player will change the way the person plays the game. I am in total agreement that some people play clubs that don't make the game any easier (me included) but it depends on what they are trying to do. I have a 2nd hand set of JPX 900 tours that I payed $500 for and set of MP18s. Does my index of 9 preclude me from using these? Yes and no. I want to try and get to the point where I am wearing a dime size wear spot on them. Will I get there? Not in this life time, Id be happy with a quarter size with the occasional outlier. Don't preoccupy your time and energy on what different people are playing, enjoy the round and you are more then welcome to laugh and make fun of me when you see me skull my blade 7 iron over the green and you nestle yours 5 feet from the pin.

But--on topic--some hackers buy high-end clubs and it would be nice hear from how they feel about their elite clubs, or vice-versa. We've heard from good golfers who play shovels, which is really cool. That's talent.

Yes and no. Good topic, btw. I think there are two things at play here, speaking as a guy who plays both really casual weeknight rounds and the usual low single digit middle age guy amateur events (mid am, state am, club champ, open qualifier, etc...).

1. Its not talent, its two things: experience / information and lack of self-consciousness. I play shovels from 2008 because I know exactly what they are going to do. Its actually calming to put my hands on my irons in an event and feel that familiar NDMC, D3 feel and look down at the CB, beat-up head. I do that because I want predictability from my irons, not distance, and I don't want to be pumped full of adrenaline when I hit them. Further, most good players don't care at all what they look like to the other golfers they play with or are around. Most bad players only care about what everyone is thinking about them while they play. I don't care if I line drive a 5 iron into a 130 yard pin, I just want to be close. A lot of golfers try to hit it close AND look good doing it, which is much harder to do. I've been 40 yards past guys off the tee and then they're hitting an iron or two less than me into greens!

Bad golfers concentrate on the wrong thing when they choose what sticks to put in their bags: flight, shot shape, contact sound. None of those matter compared to the mack daddy: proximity. Which do you hit closest, and which can you miss thin? (<- thin misses are by far the easiest to recover from and control, its the best miss to have by a mile). I can't tell you how many times I've watched some guy with a two-foot reverse pivot hitting shiny new irons really high at no target on the range. They must feel great. Until he has an actual target, at distance, and can hit it too far, and starts de-celerating about halfway into his reverse pivot. Hit at targets with a distance when testing out those shiny new sticks. They get a lot worse real fast.

I know some fitter will disagree with me here, but don't pick irons by seeing which you hit furthest and straightest off a mat in front of a computer with no target. That's nonsense. Go outside, pick a target, laser it, and hit at it. Off grass. Otherwise your results are about as real as the driving range on the computer.

So, yes, people should play whatever they want, but they should differentiate between clubs for distance and proximity and stop picking equipment that hits pretty shots (A lot of modern irons look really good as they sail right and short again!) and pick equipment that hits it close. Sometimes I see guys who can't get the ball off the ground with a 4 iron in their bags. What are they going to do with that? Garden? I can't hit a 4 iron as a 3 cap well enough to keep it in the bag - I go to hybrids. They don't have a prayer of realistically hitting that club with their swing. Ego is the only reason its in that bag.

I'd make anyone over an 8 cap a bet - you go to the range with your 4 iron, and I'll bring a modern hybrid with an inexpensive, decent shaft (e.g. NV stiff 85). You get 30 balls to a target 210 away. The hybrid will destroy the 4 iron.

So, to the original question, as long as you are playing *for you* then have at it! Play the equipment you want. I suspect, though, that a lot of it is ego/for others ("I'd look like a wuss puling a hybrid on a 175 yard par 3!") and that is actively harmful to your golf game (e.g. the 4 iron example).

2. Woods are always a huge advantage to have new. You can argue with me all you want about how "nothing has changed" since 2007 or whatever, but you go to an elite amateur event and they ALL have Epics or M1/M2s. A few Cobra, a few G series. Virtually nobody has anything more than 2 years old in the driver (you'll see irons from 2002, but never a driver from before 2016). The one exception to this I saw all tournament season was the final group of the club champs on Sunday I played with a guy who gamed a 905d (he beat me bad and finished second too). Other than that, its all top-line woods. So I don't care how good you are, you should play the best driver you can afford.

So, you have it a little backwards. We don't play well "with shovels" because we're good golfers. We're good golfers because we play clubs that deliver predictable results in terms of proximity. Its not like we're purposefully handicapping ourselves and relying on our talent to bail us out because we don't want to buy Apex Pros. Playing beat up clubs in the irons and wedges is a symptom of a player who doesn't care what other golfers think, which is a prerequisite to being any good at this game. There are golfers on this forum right now where if I could snap my fingers and take away their self-consciousness would drop 10 strokes at least.

So, I think the biggest issue for higher caps here isn't "is your equipment too expensive" but rather "Are you evaluating it correctly?" i.e. are you evaluating it based on proximity or how your shots "look" ? And you should upgrade your driver every two years if you are serious about your game. Period. I don't want to hear about the time you shot 82 with an R9 supertri. The Epic eats its lunch and you know it.

Good post. However, gotta disagree on the Epic. I’ve got a G15 that will absolutely kill it in “my” hands. Again, good post. Very on point..

But--on topic--some hackers buy high-end clubs and it would be nice hear from how they feel about their elite clubs, or vice-versa. We've heard from good golfers who play shovels, which is really cool. That's talent.

Yes and no. Good topic, btw. I think there are two things at play here, speaking as a guy who plays both really casual weeknight rounds and the usual low single digit middle age guy amateur events (mid am, state am, club champ, open qualifier, etc...).

1. Its not talent, its two things: experience / information and lack of self-consciousness. I play shovels from 2008 because I know exactly what they are going to do. Its actually calming to put my hands on my irons in an event and feel that familiar NDMC, D3 feel and look down at the CB, beat-up head. I do that because I want predictability from my irons, not distance, and I don't want to be pumped full of adrenaline when I hit them. Further, most good players don't care at all what they look like to the other golfers they play with or are around. Most bad players only care about what everyone is thinking about them while they play. I don't care if I line drive a 5 iron into a 130 yard pin, I just want to be close. A lot of golfers try to hit it close AND look good doing it, which is much harder to do. I've been 40 yards past guys off the tee and then they're hitting an iron or two less than me into greens!

Bad golfers concentrate on the wrong thing when they choose what sticks to put in their bags: flight, shot shape, contact sound. None of those matter compared to the mack daddy: proximity. Which do you hit closest, and which can you miss thin? (<- thin misses are by far the easiest to recover from and control, its the best miss to have by a mile). I can't tell you how many times I've watched some guy with a two-foot reverse pivot hitting shiny new irons really high at no target on the range. They must feel great. Until he has an actual target, at distance, and can hit it too far, and starts de-celerating about halfway into his reverse pivot. Hit at targets with a distance when testing out those shiny new sticks. They get a lot worse real fast.

I know some fitter will disagree with me here, but don't pick irons by seeing which you hit furthest and straightest off a mat in front of a computer with no target. That's nonsense. Go outside, pick a target, laser it, and hit at it. Off grass. Otherwise your results are about as real as the driving range on the computer.

So, yes, people should play whatever they want, but they should differentiate between clubs for distance and proximity and stop picking equipment that hits pretty shots (A lot of modern irons look really good as they sail right and short again!) and pick equipment that hits it close. Sometimes I see guys who can't get the ball off the ground with a 4 iron in their bags. What are they going to do with that? Garden? I can't hit a 4 iron as a 3 cap well enough to keep it in the bag - I go to hybrids. They don't have a prayer of realistically hitting that club with their swing. Ego is the only reason its in that bag.

I'd make anyone over an 8 cap a bet - you go to the range with your 4 iron, and I'll bring a modern hybrid with an inexpensive, decent shaft (e.g. NV stiff 85). You get 30 balls to a target 210 away. The hybrid will destroy the 4 iron.

So, to the original question, as long as you are playing *for you* then have at it! Play the equipment you want. I suspect, though, that a lot of it is ego/for others ("I'd look like a wuss puling a hybrid on a 175 yard par 3!") and that is actively harmful to your golf game (e.g. the 4 iron example).

2. Woods are always a huge advantage to have new. You can argue with me all you want about how "nothing has changed" since 2007 or whatever, but you go to an elite amateur event and they ALL have Epics or M1/M2s. A few Cobra, a few G series. Virtually nobody has anything more than 2 years old in the driver (you'll see irons from 2002, but never a driver from before 2016). The one exception to this I saw all tournament season was the final group of the club champs on Sunday I played with a guy who gamed a 905d (he beat me bad and finished second too). Other than that, its all top-line woods. So I don't care how good you are, you should play the best driver you can afford.

So, you have it a little backwards. We don't play well "with shovels" because we're good golfers. We're good golfers because we play clubs that deliver predictable results in terms of proximity. Its not like we're purposefully handicapping ourselves and relying on our talent to bail us out because we don't want to buy Apex Pros. Playing beat up clubs in the irons and wedges is a symptom of a player who doesn't care what other golfers think, which is a prerequisite to being any good at this game. There are golfers on this forum right now where if I could snap my fingers and take away their self-consciousness would drop 10 strokes at least.

So, I think the biggest issue for higher caps here isn't "is your equipment too expensive" but rather "Are you evaluating it correctly?" i.e. are you evaluating it based on proximity or how your shots "look" ? And you should upgrade your driver every two years if you are serious about your game. Period. I don't want to hear about the time you shot 82 with an R9 supertri. The Epic eats its lunch and you know it.

What shovels are you bagging?

Nope. I shoot mid 80s and my ping G20 irons, G25 fairway and hybrid, and R9 Supertri driver are wonderful.

Regarding this topic in general. Each person is entitled to spend their $$ as they see fit.

If you want to talk about ridiculous cost for your hobby, try hockey goalie gear. It's close to $3k just for leg pads and gloves, that are completely shot/useless after only 2-3 years.

Totally agree...before golf, I was huge into hockey in the 90s and can't believe the cost of hockey sticks these days. These composite sticks now these days are almost the price of a driver. I would cry my a** off if I broke one while playing.

Don't get me started on those lol. I was in high school when the first Easton synergy came out. Guys on my team would pool their receipts so they could collectively take advantage of the warranty period when they inevitably prematurely snapped. But overnight everyone all of a sudden had a bomb of a shot...

Nope. I shoot mid 80s and my ping G20 irons, G25 fairway and hybrid, and R9 Supertri driver are wonderful.

Regarding this topic in general. Each person is entitled to spend their $$ as they see fit.

If you want to talk about ridiculous cost for your hobby, try hockey goalie gear. It's close to $3k just for leg pads and gloves, that are completely shot/useless after only 2-3 years.

Totally agree...before golf, I was huge into hockey in the 90s and can't believe the cost of hockey sticks these days. These composite sticks now these days are almost the price of a driver. I would cry my a** off if I broke one while playing.

Don't get me started on those lol. I was in high school when the first Easton synergy came out. Guys on my team would pool their receipts so they could collectively take advantage of the warranty period when they inevitably prematurely snapped. But overnight everyone all of a sudden had a bomb of a shot...

Yeah...the move from 1 piece composite sticks was a huge breakthrough from wooden and even 2 piece sticks (Golf's version from Persimmon to Titanium in Drivers). Now almost every decent NHL Defenseman can shoot like Al McInnis.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I do. I swap 'em out all the time. I treat them like crap so they don't get too elite on me.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

I sincerely have no idea how to answer this question.

I bought the clubs I have because I thought they looked cool, felt good to me when I tried them out and found them for a killer price on E-Bay.

I'm a high handicapper that is very slowly improving, but have an amazing time and incredible fun every time I go out.

So really, does it matter what clubs I own?

Yeh count me as one that doesn't get these topics. I don't even know what that means. Quality of your clubs? I mean it's one thing to question whether a 20 handicap should be playing blades. It's another thing entirely to question whether he should spend $400 on a new driver or $50. So are you asking whether it makes sense for a guy who isn't as good as you to spend $3,000 on his clubs? If so that's just silly and reeks of handicap elitism. I'm sure I could throw together a bag with a total cost of $300 and still play good golf. As a matter of fact I happen to have a set of MP-33 that I bought for $100, a number of Ping putters that I paid $10 each, a 905R driver that was $40, a 910F 3 wood that was $20 and an old eye2 sand wedge that was $30. That's $200. I'm pretty sure with a few rounds I would still be a 3 handicap.

But I'm not sure why I should feel pressure to do that. And on the other hand I don't feel any more entitled to have the quality of clubs I have any more than a guy who can't break 90. Why do you feel entitled to judge? Most of us started out with nothing, playing with hand me downs and now we can afford to buy whatever we want. So we do.

If you feel superior for having put together a $700 "bargain" bag and still be able to play good golf, more power to you. That's your prerogative.

Let people enjoy themselves judgement free. It's like cars. You don't need to be a race car driver to buy a Ferrari. You don't even have to drive it fast. If you can afford it, you can buy it just to put the top down , ride around and listen to the engine as you go 0-40 in 2 seconds. People who can't afford one are going to say you bought it because you want to be cool or tiny p**** or whatever else. But fact is if you know people who have money you realize most could care less. They're just living their life and enjoying the spoils of their hard work.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

If so that's just silly and reeks of handicap elitism.

1. I completely agree with your post.

2. "reeks of Handicap Elitism" is a fantastic phrase, and "handicap elitism" needs to get used more often in an accusatory way IMO e.g. You're a raging anti-dentite!

Adams' (relatively) old a4 Forged. They're rock solid IMO. I have a set of Apexes and I use them sometimes but they don't look right to me at address for some reason. I play everything somewhat older but never woods or driver.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

My game definitely eclipses the quality of my clubs. It is not by choice but because of necessity. 10 years ago I could easily be the guy that can afford the latest tech from a major OEM but like most people have been affected because of the great recession of 2008. Since I don't earn as much as I did back then I had to make do with the best clubs I can afford. Any money that I do have that could've gone to club upgrading went to driving range balls. In 3 years of hard work redoing my swing from scratch I gone from a player shooting in the 90s to one shooting in the 70s, all with a bunch of clubs with a combined value that is less than a new set of irons.

That's what I am talking about! Recognizing it and then putting the effort into your swing and game and making it better. Range balls, hard work and practice instead of new clubs! Awesome!

My big thing is watching some not letting go of their ego. An older gentleman that i have played with still wants to play blades, a 2 iron, an 8.5 driver with a D+ 72 whiteboard, s300 shafts etc. He is over 70 years old and thinks they are the best clubs for his game. Who cares how much the cost, and some are quality clubs but they totally eclipse his swing and game! He is lucky to break 90 with them all for the simple fact he is not willing to let go of the fact that he is not physically able to swing them the way he should. Too heavy, wrong setup and just everything. Why play something that is going to hurt your game instead of help it?!

I wish more people could check their ego at the door and get clubs that are really suited to them. Don't be the guy who brags that he can belt it 280 when in reality it is only 180. Know what your true swing speed and your actual iron distances and play off tees suitable to that . You many not like what your local trackman will say but if you swallow your pride and accept the natural talent God gave you you will hit more GIR, shoot lower scores, and enjoy the game more.

Will "clubs suited for them" change the fact that they say they can hit it 280 but not even get a sniff of that? I don't think it will. The guys that say that, probably know they can't even get it close to the number they report, but they are also very likely the ones on here that post their HI as a 6. They probably wouldn't believe what TM has to say and would believe it was a software error. I just don't understand the argument that getting clubs more suited to a player will change the way the person plays the game. I am in total agreement that some people play clubs that don't make the game any easier (me included) but it depends on what they are trying to do. I have a 2nd hand set of JPX 900 tours that I payed $500 for and set of MP18s. Does my index of 9 preclude me from using these? Yes and no. I want to try and get to the point where I am wearing a dime size wear spot on them. Will I get there? Not in this life time, Id be happy with a quarter size with the occasional outlier. Don't preoccupy your time and energy on what different people are playing, enjoy the round and you are more then welcome to laugh and make fun of me when you see me skull my blade 7 iron over the green and you nestle yours 5 feet from the pin.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/paid

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I'll never be on tour, so I'll be happy playing to my index with the clubs of my choice. I may be fascinated with nice clubs, just like nice cars...but I am neither Mario Andretti, or Jack. Just enjoy equipment.

*i play at a course of grinders, never once has anyone looked at my bag in a good or bad way. Granted we all know each other, but most could care less about anyone's bag. If I brought a staff bag on the other hand, I would personally feel uncomfortable and prob get some odd looks as well.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

If so that's just silly and reeks of handicap elitism.

1. I completely agree with your post.

2. "reeks of Handicap Elitism" is a fantastic phrase, and "handicap elitism" needs to get used more often in an accusatory way IMO e.g. You're a raging anti-dentite!

Adams' (relatively) old a4 Forged. They're rock solid IMO. I have a set of Apexes and I use them sometimes but they don't look right to me at address for some reason. I play everything somewhat older but never woods or driver.

Thx. Great sticks but never thought of A4 Forged as shovels by any means!

Adams A4 Forged was a good golf club. Very forgiving and solid feel. Not sure if those qualify as shovels lol but they definitely have more offset and bigger headsize than your standard "players cavity back". I thought it was a nice filler between game improvement and players. A club that anyone from zero to 20 could play with.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* MMT 70S

Callaway Epic Speed 15* MMT 80S

Mizuno CLK 19* Tensei 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal 4 iron MMT 80S

Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 5-GW DG 105 S
Titleist SM8 Black 52*,58* TT S200
L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1
Pro V1

A rusty old set of clubs from Goodwill throw into a feed sack for a bag would surpass the quality of my game nowadays.

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

I’m cheap and I have yet to break 100 more than a few times. So I go for bargain gear. Maybe some day I’ll play well enough to start thinking about top of the line clubs.

PXG 0211 12° driver with Project X Cypher shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
Srixon Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 19° and 22° 3 and 4 hybrids w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

Maltby KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid with KuroKage Black shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid 
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

Cleveland CBX2 50° GW w/Rotex wedge flex shaft
Maltby M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
Cleveland  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5