Circle City Chili Dipper- Indy Golf Thread

HoosierHacker89

Manny, consider driving out to Purgatory from Fishers.  It’s probably 20-25 minutes.  It is worth the drive over the three options you mention. Very scenic, especially in the evenings. If not, then River Glen is likely the closest to you, with Prairie View being the best layout (conditions can be average this late in the summer) and only a bit further away.  

I say yes, Prairie View is worth the cost over the 2 you mentioned. I actually can’t believe people willingly pay $75 for Plum Creek! 

I’ll let others comment on The current condition of River Glen, as I have not played there for a few years. 

Royal Highlands is good but not any better than what you’re playing. 

To me, Prairie View always feels like more of a special round and a cut above most of the courses in the area. No it’s not cheap, but I do feel it’s worth it. 

One concern is that if you play PV day 1 you may feel a bit let down by some of the other courses on your list. Bear Slide is my favorite of the ones you have listed, but for an out of town group to play once I would be surprised if anyone would argue you have a nicer course listed. I can almost guarantee that it will be in the best shape of the bunch. 

One other note, Bear Slide, Trophy Club, and Prairie View aren't the easiest golf courses. The slope and course ratings support this claim. I don’t know anything about your group other than the handicap range. My father in law is a 14-16ish and each time we play bear slide he comments that the course is just too difficult and he doesn’t prefer it. Just something to note. 

Edited by StudentGolfer4

Thank you both for the input.  We were hoping to play Purgatory but they have an all day event on Thursday.  The way the course schedules fell with their events, this was the best line up we could set up.  I will look at Prairie View and River Glen for Thursday.  Regarding courses being tough- we’ll give them our best shot, hahaha.  Usually traveling to a new location and playing new courses is always a challenge.  I’m sure we’ll have fun, we’ve heard Indy has fantastic golf and 3 courses look nice. We’re excited to visit 

Thank you both,

Manny

For the close to Fishers courses it's Prairie View >>> Plum Creek >>>>>>> River Glen IMO. The advantage is they are very close to one another if you wanted to pair them, especially PV and Plum (River Glen is across the river from PV so you have to maneuver to get to it).

Also a warning on the Fort. I haven't played it this year, and there is a reason for it... conditions. As for scenic course you'll be hard pressed to find more scenic around an Indy-area public course. But everything I have heard this year about the Fort is it's been bombed out more than usual on/around the greens where they always have a major issue with ball mark repair and such. Combine that with the Grumpy Gus's in the clubhouse and high price tag, and I have skipped it for that reason. Cannot argue with the layout though.

Bear Slide is my personal favorite and worth the trip. If there is any way to combine it with Purgatory they are roughly 15-20 minutes apart. Both are great designed and a lot of fun. Pick the right set of tees. Just finished this morning at Trophy Club and it is in good shape, aside from the sand (which is perpetual issue).

It pains me to say it but avoid Hylands for now versus these other options. They have some significant water damage on the course, and I can't see it really improving much in a month. 

If you're willing to drive and like scenery, the courses at Purdue are roughly 40-45 minutes from trophy club. They are always in phenomenal shape, and Kampen is a fun tough challenge. 

One other bit of advice on staying in Fishers, lots of construction going on on the surface streets and route 37 going into Noblesville. So plan time accordingly. 

Thank you Dr Old School

This is the type of insight I appreciate.  Fort does have a higher tag at $85 and you’re right, the layout and scenery looks great.  Any more info you can provide?  Players aren’t fixing ball marks or is the conditioning even greater?  Are the greens in bad condition (putting affected) as well as fairways?  Hoping you or someone else on this thread may be able to assist some.  If Fort not worth playing, I can try to get us on another course in better shape

thank you,

Manny

Manny,

Early "welcome" to Indiana.

Let's talk food!  If you guys like wings you'll LOVE the Ale Emporium in Castleton.  Get the Hermanaki's, they're fantastic.  If time allows, I bet you go more than once.

Look forward to your report on the trip once you get home.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi3 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black / SC Futura Phantom
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Oontz Angle 3 Ultra Duals

Guys,

I recently got fitted for new irons and woods by Matt Glenn at the Golf School of Indiana over at Prairie View.

My experience was nothing short of fantastic and I had high expectations.

I have no affiliation with them, just wanted to share my experience and give them some good press.

I'll report back once they come in and I have a few rounds in.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi3 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black / SC Futura Phantom
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Oontz Angle 3 Ultra Duals

4 hours ago, Busta said:

Thank you Dr Old School

This is the type of insight I appreciate.  Fort does have a higher tag at $85 and you’re right, the layout and scenery looks great.  Any more info you can provide?  Players aren’t fixing ball marks or is the conditioning even greater?  Are the greens in bad condition (putting affected) as well as fairways?  Hoping you or someone else on this thread may be able to assist some.  If Fort not worth playing, I can try to get us on another course in better shape

thank you,

Manny

Since I moved to Indiana in 2015 the Fort has always had the same positives and negatives. it's a 5 star layout with 4 star conditions at best (which is rare, usually 3-3.5). Again I haven't played it this year, but what I have heard from those that have match up with past concerns. Pros: layout, elevation change (lots of flat in this part of IN, not there), If in decent shape and has good pace of play it can be really fun and different than other local courses. Cons: Staff is grumpy at best, can be very slow at times, and the greens always get bombed out. Ball marks make it ugly to look at and bumpy to putt and it's always 20 times worse there than anywhere else. It's a state parks course - and "good enough for government work" comes into play with some maintenance there. I've tried to have conversations about it with folks in upper management at the state parks about it and they just get defensive of it. The course has one other oddity - the really tall stuff that is between some holes and behind some greens play as a free drop to save time and help pace of play (local rule). There's only a couple holes where it matters unless someone skulls one or something like that, but it give the course a bit of a bumper golf feel. 

Please note that PV is also notoriously slow, and the sand there leaves something to be desired as well. Bear Slide is the best conditioned course IMO around, but if you want clubhouse amenities you'll find very little there. Purgatory has great amenities, but they are losing the 13th green again, though the rest of the course is in good shape. Trophy is in good shape, but the sand is more mud than sand. We have had very odd weather this year and the last 2 weeks or so have baked out a lot of places and when added to the dramatic increase in the amount of play at all these courses they all show wear. 

The link below I developed during the pandemic and have kept it up since. It gives my brief ratings and thoughts about the courses I've played in Indiana. That should help as you decide where to play. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15syiDDZrjMDwjTz43T2VjYCr0v8lp3STXUBSpPJNTSM/edit?usp=sharing

@Busta

Im not sure what time the Bear Slide tee time is, drinking plans, driving arrangements, etc but there is also a Wolfies on Morse Lake in Cicero. It’s about 5-7 minutes south of Bear Slide and should be on the way to your lodging. There’s another good spot near the course called 10 West. Good variety and I’ve never had a bad meal. No one would call it upscale but it’s not the sports bar/family joint on the lake vibe that Ale and Wolfies are. Guys coming from the golf course are more than welcome. 

There’s a craft brewery called Mashcraft that has a fishers location. IMO it’s the best brewery on the northside. Sun King is the giant of Indianapolis craft breweries and there will be a location near you as well. 

I know everyone has different feelings about it but there is also a top golf In fishers. Havana Cigar Bar can be found at The Yard in Fishers. Another cigar bar, The Blend, is located not too far away. I think it’s head and shoulders above Havana. 

sorry if that’s all a bit off topic. Your trip sounds like a blast. I’m getting jealous over here! 

18 minutes ago, ROOK16 said:

@DrOldSchool How were the weekend festivities?  I saw 25 putts for one of your rounds, which is insane.

Overall very good, with one exception: Mother Nature. We got rained on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

Chariot Run was as awesome as ever. Cannot say enough good things about it. Jump at any chance to play it. 

Hidden Creek was a dump. Holes were smashed together and the back 9 was out and back through high tension power lines. On hole 11 I teed off into a power line, re-teed into a group on the adjacent fairway, and got back in the cart only for it to get hit by a ball a few seconds later. Only positive thing I can say about it was the friendly cat that lives on the 2nd hole.

Heritage Hill south of Louisville was interesting. We all loved the layout. But it got a TON of rain while we were there, and for some unknown reason they did not kick us off the course. So we were playing around washed out traps and giant puddles in fairways. Zach played barefoot, that's how wet the course and we were (he also holed out from 120 while barefoot for eagle so maybe he should do it more often). Would love to go back and play it when dry, lots of neat holes.

Champions Pointe was solid as well. 18 may be the toughest finishing hole I've played in the state. Conditions left me a little wanting for the price point with some pare spots and lots of crab grass on fringes of greens. But loved the layout. We were very cold while it rained yesterday while we played it. 

Edited by DrOldSchool
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone played martinsville this year? I keep meaning to get down there and play it. Maybe later on this week or next I’ll finally get a round in: 

Ping g400 Max 9*
Cobra f7 14.5*
Cobra f6 baffler 17.5

TM V steel 21

G25 23*, 27*, 31*

Srixon 765 7-A
Cleveland Rtx-3 58*

Ping Karsten Craz-e 

Camo hoofer 

On 8/10/2021 at 9:58 PM, DrOldSchool said:

Since I moved to Indiana in 2015 the Fort has always had the same positives and negatives. it's a 5 star layout with 4 star conditions at best (which is rare, usually 3-3.5). Again I haven't played it this year, but what I have heard from those that have match up with past concerns. Pros: layout, elevation change (lots of flat in this part of IN, not there), If in decent shape and has good pace of play it can be really fun and different than other local courses. Cons: Staff is grumpy at best, can be very slow at times, and the greens always get bombed out. Ball marks make it ugly to look at and bumpy to putt and it's always 20 times worse there than anywhere else. It's a state parks course - and "good enough for government work" comes into play with some maintenance there. I've tried to have conversations about it with folks in upper management at the state parks about it and they just get defensive of it. The course has one other oddity - the really tall stuff that is between some holes and behind some greens play as a free drop to save time and help pace of play (local rule). There's only a couple holes where it matters unless someone skulls one or something like that, but it give the course a bit of a bumper golf feel. 

Please note that PV is also notoriously slow, and the sand there leaves something to be desired as well. Bear Slide is the best conditioned course IMO around, but if you want clubhouse amenities you'll find very little there. Purgatory has great amenities, but they are losing the 13th green again, though the rest of the course is in good shape. Trophy is in good shape, but the sand is more mud than sand. We have had very odd weather this year and the last 2 weeks or so have baked out a lot of places and when added to the dramatic increase in the amount of play at all these courses they all show wear. 

The link below I developed during the pandemic and have kept it up since. It gives my brief ratings and thoughts about the courses I've played in Indiana. That should help as you decide where to play. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15syiDDZrjMDwjTz43T2VjYCr0v8lp3STXUBSpPJNTSM/edit?usp=sharing

Very accurate description of the Fort imo. Agree with the others you mentioned as well. 

The layout of the Fort is unmatched... definitely still worth the $ if you've never played it but man does it have the potential to be so much more. 

It's been a couple months since i've been so I can't speak on the condition...but Eagle Creek (Sycamore) has always felt like a slightly less scenic version of the Fort, for half the price. Guessing it's been mentioned in this thread a few times already, but it's one of the best values around Indy if you ask me

I can vouch for the recent condition of Rock Hollow...always a solid value there if you're willing to make the trek

• Like 1

Hello All-

I am an avid golfer from Olive Branch, MS ( outside of Memphis, TN ). My family and I are possibly relocating to Indianapolis in the next 6-12 months. We will be searching for housing at some point. We have been recommended Avon, Fishers, Carmel, Zionsville for homes. My question is, are there any affordable private courses in the area (3-5k range for family membership)?  I am currently a member of a private course here and it is 7 minutes from my home.  I enjoy our member tournaments and weekly men's league and would be looking for the same there. I'd like to live close to the course in the event that I partake in a few cold ones while playing. Also, would prefer that the club had a pool. 

I'm 39 years old, and around a 8 handicap. I would be looking for a casual, laid-back, and friendly atmosphere (no stuffy trust fund clubs).  Any recs?  

Thanks so much!

In those areas, I am not so sure. Crooked Stick is the big one, but well above that range. Chatham Hills and Holiday Farms are both new and really emphasize family, at the detriment of the golf, but are both in the range of 20k initiation (may be less if you buy/build a lot) with 6-800 in dues a month. 

I’ll add noblesville to your list. It’s Essentially between Carmel and Fishers but just a touch further north. Harbor trees is a decent club and you gain access to their beach club. It’s a clubhouse on Morse Lake with a pool, restaurant, and workout familiarity. I believe their rates may be around the higher end of your budget. Can’t say for sure as I’ve only seen the under 35 rates there. 

Just north of fishers Is a nice Nicklaus course called Sagamore with a good pool area. It’s a bit cheaper than crooked stick, holiday, and Chatham but I don’t know specifics. If I recall the dues are decent but requires an imitation of 8-12k

Can’t speak towards Avon. 

Like most places, Clubs have filled up and prices have gone up Since covid started. 

9 hours ago, Cameron Detour said:

Hello All-

I am an avid golfer from Olive Branch, MS ( outside of Memphis, TN ). My family and I are possibly relocating to Indianapolis in the next 6-12 months. We will be searching for housing at some point. We have been recommended Avon, Fishers, Carmel, Zionsville for homes. My question is, are there any affordable private courses in the area (3-5k range for family membership)?  I am currently a member of a private course here and it is 7 minutes from my home.  I enjoy our member tournaments and weekly men's league and would be looking for the same there. I'd like to live close to the course in the event that I partake in a few cold ones while playing. Also, would prefer that the club had a pool. 

I'm 39 years old, and around a 8 handicap. I would be looking for a casual, laid-back, and friendly atmosphere (no stuffy trust fund clubs).  Any recs?  

Thanks so much!

Hawthorns (Fishers), Sagamore (Noblesville), Old Oakland (Geist-Indy), CCI (Speedway-Indy), Broadmoor CC (Meridian-Hills - Indy), harbour trees (noblesville) are all good ones. None of these strike me as trust fund stuffy. Im a member at Old Oakland, probably the best value in the city (or at least it was last year when I spoke to most of these clubs listed. Crooked Stick is on a massive wait list and requires huge initiation. If u want to play OO let me know Ill get you out.

@Cameron Detourthe best advice would be find where you want to live and then go from there. Carmel, zionsville, fishers, and noblesville are are all northern suburbs that share borders with each other. Add Westfield to your list of northern suburbs as well. Avon is west and quite a bit different from the others listed. Cost of living would be noticeably lower. Now that I think about it, does the Avon, Plainfield, Brownsburg area have any private clubs? Is Prestwick still private? 

TY gives you a good rundown of some of the less expensive options. If you end up somewhere north near zionsville I would add Ulen to the list. It’s a good traditional club with friendly membership and affordable pricing. Golf only though. 

Both Broadmoor and Country Club of Indianapolis are always running deals for new members. Broadmoor is actually at the point where some would say they’re struggling. Fantastic Donald Ross course with some of the very best green complexes in the state. Highland is another good club in the midtown area. Not far from Broodmore. They have been doing very  well recently so I can’t speak to the fees. 

3 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

@Cameron Detourthe best advice would be find where you want to live and then go from there. Carmel, zionsville, fishers, and noblesville are are all northern suburbs that share borders with each other. Add Westfield to your list of northern suburbs as well. Avon is west and quite a bit different from the others listed. Cost of living would be noticeably lower. Now that I think about it, does the Avon, Plainfield, Brownsburg area have any private clubs? Is Prestwick still private? 

TY gives you a good rundown of some of the less expensive options. If you end up somewhere north near zionsville I would add Ulen to the list. It’s a good traditional club with friendly membership and affordable pricing. Golf only though. 

Both Broadmoor and Country Club of Indianapolis are always running deals for new members. Broadmoor is actually at the point where some would say they’re struggling. Fantastic Donald Ross course with some of the very best green complexes in the state. Highland is another good club in the midtown area. Not far from Broodmore. They have been doing very  well recently so I can’t speak to the fees. 

I believe Boodmore got an infusion of cash from some wealthy members, that club is doing fine now. Although its been a few years since I played, i heard ash bore hurt them pretty bad over there several years ago. The only westside private club I know of on is Country Club of Indianapolis (CCI). By westside, i mean west of 465. Prestwick is no longer private and unfortunately it was a serious goat ranch last I played maybe 1.5 years ago. But yeah, i do agree decide where u want to live and then go from there. Also at 3-5k a month he is likely looking at low to middle of the road options. When I talked to Hawthorns and Sagamore last year they were both in the  5-600 dollars a month sans initiation. 

Edited by TyWebb_Indy

On 9/24/2021 at 3:02 AM, Cameron Detour said:

Hello All-

Thanks so much!

The guys that posted above gave great info. I'll add this, I live right by Sagamore, and it's not exactly in your price range (I think its ~18k for initiation now). I'm willing to bet things in Carmel aren't in your desired range either. The top end public courses around here charge what you are asking for yearly memberships (Prairie View, Purgatory, etc). The only public one I can think of with a pool is Plum Creek in Carmel, but there could be others. Plum has a very active membership for a public course - lots of leagues and lots of $$ thrown around. 

There are a lot of great areas to live, and a lot of strong public/private golf options both in and within 60-75 minute of Indy. Fishers is on a lot of "best places to live" lists. The housing market around here is very very hot right now, and it's a sellers market. Let me/us know if you need any area/course advice.

2 hours ago, curryloke said:

Does anyone have experience with Twin Lakes in Carmel? Looks like a standard neighborhood course/routing. The price fits @Cameron Detour (I think) but it is just golf - no pool, tennis, etc. I live nearby and I've considered it but haven't visited or inquired more than a few emails. 

Yeah I’ve played there and I nearly always forget it exists. The course is actually a lot of fun and it’s typically in great condition. Value is also superb. But like you said there r no other amenities and the clubhouse is small and dated. 

Edited by TyWebb_Indy

Great week in late September for golf! I played martinsville, hickory stick and royal hylands this week. 

martinsville was an outstanding track. Can’t believe I’ve never played it. I loved the elevation changes and the greens rolled so well. 18 was one of the best finishing holes I’ve played around Indianapolis! It’s actually pretty easy to get to even with the construction.

hickory stick is $20 to walk 18 through the week. Best value for golf I’ve paid all year. Greens were fast! I love the collection areas and you’ve gotta keep the ball in play here. It’s 12 minutes from my house. This will be my new home course. 16 is still my favorite par 5 around town. 

hylands: was in much better shape than when I last played it. The greens out there are so sneaky with break especially on the back. We played a red tee tourney today. Lots of birdies and lots of doubles on the card. 

I think I can safely rank my favorite 5 courses in town. These are not the best, but my favorite to play:

1. hickory stick 

2. royal hylands 

3. Buffer park 

4. trophy club 

5. martinsville

• Like 1

Ping g400 Max 9*
Cobra f7 14.5*
Cobra f6 baffler 17.5

TM V steel 21

G25 23*, 27*, 31*

Srixon 765 7-A