Circle City Chili Dipper- Indy Golf Thread

HoosierHacker89

Our Indy trip was 2 weekends ago and it was Fantastic.  Our group was impressed with how good Indy golf is, it was REALLY GOOD.  We played River Glen, Bear Slide, Rock Hollow and Purgatory.  All 4 courses were in great shape and the greens were great (we loved the bent grass, we have bermuda in Phx).  River Glen was a pretty layout, holes along the river are cool and the $1 hot dogs and beers was a bonus.  Bear Slide was a great/tough layout but weird that such a nice course has such a lack of course signage and no place to hang out for food/drink after golf.  Rock Hollow was also a great layout in top shape yet again no clubhouse for food/drinks afterwards.  But the golf at both was really good and fun layouts.  Purgatory was Top notch.  Once we arrived in the parking lot, the group said - we are at a great golf facility.  The course was just so fun and in great condition.  Nice pro shop and bar to eat and watch football.  No complaints with any of the 4 courses, 4 different types of layouts and they were all a joy to play.  Thanks you all for the insight and recommendations.  Weather in the low 70s was awesome as well.  We had dinner at Wolfies and Ale Emporium.  Ale was a cool spot, great food and cool live band and yes the Hermanaki’s lived up to the billing.   The sign of a great golf trip and location- 20 guys in my group, most had asked me why Indianapolis?  After the trip they all asked when can we come back to Indy?  They want to play Purgatory again, play the courses at Purdue and Trophy Club.  We LOVED INDY!!!  Thank you, Manny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Busta said:

Our Indy trip was 2 weekends ago and it was Fantastic.  Our group was impressed with how good Indy golf is, it was REALLY GOOD.  We played River Glen, Bear Slide, Rock Hollow and Purgatory.  All 4 courses were in great shape and the greens were great (we loved the bent grass, we have bermuda in Phx).  River Glen was a pretty layout, holes along the river are cool and the $1 hot dogs and beers was a bonus.  Bear Slide was a great/tough layout but weird that such a nice course has such a lack of course signage and no place to hang out for food/drink after golf.  Rock Hollow was also a great layout in top shape yet again no clubhouse for food/drinks afterwards.  But the golf at both was really good and fun layouts.  Purgatory was Top notch.  Once we arrived in the parking lot, the group said - we are at a great golf facility.  The course was just so fun and in great condition.  Nice pro shop and bar to eat and watch football.  No complaints with any of the 4 courses, 4 different types of layouts and they were all a joy to play.  Thanks you all for the insight and recommendations.  Weather in the low 70s was awesome as well.  We had dinner at Wolfies and Ale Emporium.  Ale was a cool spot, great food and cool live band and yes the Hermanaki’s lived up to the billing.   The sign of a great golf trip and location- 20 guys in my group, most had asked me why Indianapolis?  After the trip they all asked when can we come back to Indy?  They want to play Purgatory again, play the courses at Purdue and Trophy Club.  We LOVED INDY!!!  Thank you, Manny

Good to hear, you played some good ones! Glad to hear River Glenn was in good shape, it kind of stands out in your list a little as one that is not quite "on par" with the others. Checkout PFAU at Indiana University as well. Probably not a popular opinion (and maybe it's because I'm an IU grad) but I like PFAU at IU better than all the Purdue courses and most top public lists would agree with me. Also while in Lafayette Coyote Crossing is top notch too. Id also checkout The Fort and Prairie View too. Also you're not allowed to visit again without playing Brickyard Crossing =D ! Indy golf is pretty solid as far as the Midwest is concerned. 

Hey all, new to the site, although a lurker for quite a while, and have been playing some new “south of Indy” courses. I’m a transplant from Indy to Martinsville 20 years ago and have played near every public course around Indianapolis, and some private.

Stone Crest south of Bloomington has 3 nine hole courses and is in great shape, nice fairways and greens. It’s a planned community so well taken care of, senior $27.00

Otis Park in Bedford is absolutely awesome. A really fun course and the best conditioned public State Park facility. A lot of elevation change but very fair. Bent grass and zoysia everywhere and groomed nicely for $20.00. Can’t be beat!

I’m a member at Fox Cliff and as a community course is well groomed, although the ruff tends to be a bit high often. Greens are always fast and still in good shape. For $28.00 it’s more worth the price when compared to,,,,,

Martinsville Country Club, a ho-hum course. Since the new ownership group let Jeff, the head Pro go, coupled with the I 69 construction it’s just a boring place to play. There’s no change in the fairways from 30 years ago, my yard has smoother grass, drainage is a joke with water standing everywhere often and the greens, when Sam hasn’t painted them green are a mess. Sand traps are so bad or sand-less we don’t even play them but pull out as “ground under repair”. Well not worth the $28.00 weekday senior fee or the $42.00 weekend fee.

We have played Cascades golf courses in Bloomington and with 3 nines is a good mix of challenge. The courses are always well maintained and the fairways are beautiful.  It is another State Park course with zoysia fairways and even with a lot of play the greens are pretty smooth and true. At $35.00 more expensive than Otis Park but they have IU students to keep it busy.

We’re playing The Golf Club at Eagle Pointe at Lake Monroe Wednesday and look forward to it since the new community purchase and investment. Supposedly new fairways, greens and white sand bunkers. $31.00 for 18 but Veterans are $25.00. Sounds like fun?

Get a chance come south to play, you’ll enjoy it!

Edited by Motoboss
  • Like 1

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

Welcome! I played Cascades, Otis, and Eagle Pointe years ago when I went to IU. Back then they were ill kinda just meh, but the natural landscape of all those courses made them extremely capable. Glad to hear they are doing well. Im headed down to pfau this Thursday. Looking forward to play it again.

Thanks

Haven’t played the “new” IU course since the hospital construction but want to get to it.

Have fun

3 minutes ago, Motoboss said:

Thanks

Haven’t played the “new” IU course since the hospital construction but want to get to it.

Have fun

Will do! I have to play the course with low expectations and high blood alcohol LOL. It's a beast.  PGA West in Palm Springs and H-Town in Hilton Head the pfau course are the most difficult courses I've played. 

33 minutes ago, Motoboss said:

Hey all, new to the site, although a lurker for quite a while, and have been playing some new “south of Indy” courses. I’m a transplant from Indy to Martinsville 20 years ago and have played near every public course around Indianapolis, and some private.

Stone Crest south of Bloomington has 3 nine hole courses and is in great shape, nice fairways and greens. It’s a planned community so well taken care of, senior $27.00

Otis Park in Bedford is absolutely awesome. A really fun course and the best conditioned public State Park facility. A lot of elevation change but very fair. Bent grass and zoysia everywhere and groomed nicely for $20.00. Can’t be beat!

I’m a member at Fox Cliff and as a community course is well groomed, although the ruff tends to be a bit high often. Greens are always fast and still in good shape. For $28.00 it’s more worth the price when compared to,,,,,

Martinsville Country Club, a ho-hum course. Since the new ownership group let Jeff, the head Pro go, coupled with the I 69 construction it’s just a boring place to play. There’s no change in the fairways from 30 years ago, my yard has smoother grass, drainage is a joke with water standing everywhere often and the greens, when Sam hasn’t painted them green are a mess. Sand traps are so bad or sand-less we don’t even play them but pull out as “ground under repair”. Well not worth the $28.00 weekday senior fee or the $42.00 weekend fee.

We have played Cascades golf courses in Bloomington and with 3 nines is a good mix of challenge. The courses are always well maintained and the fairways are beautiful.  It is another State Park course with zoysia fairways and even with a lot of play the greens are pretty smooth and true. At $35.00 more expensive than Otis Park but they have IU students to keep it busy.

We’re playing The Golf Club at Eagle Pointe at Lake Monroe Wednesday and look forward to it since the new community purchase and investment. Supposedly new fairways, greens and white sand bunkers. $31.00 for 18 but Veterans are $25.00. Sounds like fun?

Get a chance come south to play, you’ll enjoy it!

Good to hear from a new-to-us Hoosier.  Sorry to hear about Martinsville.

I'd love to come South sometime and play.  Might be next year, though.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Another "out of towner".  Kind of.  Grew up in Logansport now live in Fort Wayne.  I am 65 and retired.  Been swing the sticks since I was 11 years old.  since I am retired I would not mind on occasion coming and meeting some of you Naptowners.  I am a member at Noble Hawk golf Club in Kendallville.  I have played many of the courses you guys have mentioned.  Let me know when you have an opening and I may slide on down. 

• Like 1

@TyWebb_Indy let me know your thoughts about the Pfau course. Other than it’s difficult. I already know that lol. Smyers also designed the most difficult course I have played multiple times, Wolf Run, so I hope you’re up for the challenge. 

@Motoboss I haven’t played the others you mentioned but we have differing thoughts on Martinsville vs Fox Cliff. You’re right, the conditions aren’t great but I think the layout of Martinsville blows the doors off of Fox Cliff. I enjoy the front 9 at Fox Cliff but would be fine if I didn’t play the back 9 again. I imagine the amount of trees at both courses make turf management rather difficult. No way the elevation helps with drainage. 

No no I think the Martinsville CC is a great layout but just don’t get excited playing it. I didn’t rank one above another just observation on condition vs price comparison. And I hate the phony green dye that Carmichael sprays all over the course, maybe it’s me but it’s like lipstick on a pig.

12 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

@TyWebb_Indy let me know your thoughts about the Pfau course. Other than it’s difficult. I already know that lol. Smyers also designed the most difficult course I have played multiple times, Wolf Run, so I hope you’re up for the challenge. 

@Motoboss I haven’t played the others you mentioned but we have differing thoughts on Martinsville vs Fox Cliff. You’re right, the conditions aren’t great but I think the layout of Martinsville blows the doors off of Fox Cliff. I enjoy the front 9 at Fox Cliff but would be fine if I didn’t play the back 9 again. I imagine the amount of trees at both courses make turf management rather difficult. No way the elevation helps with drainage. 

Will do, was a huge wolf run fan. My dad was a member for 8 years or so and I played there bunches. I see a lot of wolf run in pfau. Rip wolfy gc!

Edited by TyWebb_Indy

20 hours ago, dhacker56 said:

Another "out of towner".  Kind of.  Grew up in Logansport now live in Fort Wayne.  I am 65 and retired.  Been swing the sticks since I was 11 years old.  since I am retired I would not mind on occasion coming and meeting some of you Naptowners.  I am a member at Noble Hawk golf Club in Kendallville.  I have played many of the courses you guys have mentioned.  Let me know when you have an opening and I may slide on down. 

Welcome Logansport Berries!  (Felix, his avatar, is the Logansport HS Berries mascot and the oldest known mascot in the state)

My son's very first jr tourney was at a course there (Cannonball?).

Lastly, Logansport has a GREAT record store/arcade/bar called the Record Farm.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

1 hour ago, Bob Cat said:

Welcome Logansport Berries!  (Felix, his avatar, is the Logansport HS Berries mascot and the oldest known mascot in the state)

I havent live in Logansport since the early 90's.  My only tie there was my mother.  She passed this past June so my onlyreason to go there is when camp at France Park.  I think the course you refer to is called the Iron Horse club (former Logansport Country Club.) Felix became the mascot at halftime during a BB game in 1934/5. 

• Like 1

Rolling Meadows in Gosport today warming up for Eagle Point at Lake Monroe on Wednesday.

1 hour ago, dhacker56 said:

I havent live in Logansport since the early 90's.  My only tie there was my mother.  She passed this past June so my onlyreason to go there is when camp at France Park.  I think the course you refer to is called the Iron Horse club (former Logansport Country Club.) Felix became the mascot at halftime during a BB game in 1934/5. 

Wife and I used to ride Mtn Bikes at France Park back in the early 90's.  Good times and memories.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Played Kampen on Monday. It’s really really good. Dye did a good job of making it challenging but playable at the same time. Usually there was one side of the fairway or green to bail out on. Off the tee the second shot was always much tougher from the safe line though. Same around the greens. Sure you can miss in the collection area, but don’t expect an easy chip from there. 

My primary complaint would be a few of the holes were pretty repetitive. Large waste area right off the tee and then bunkers/waste guarding the left side of the green. 1, 3, and 12 immediately some time mind. Thinking back 9, 16, and 18 have similar feels with the bunkering as well. Par 3s 2 and 17 are essentially the exact same hole. Only difference would be the 15-20 yards in length that 17 players longer. 3 of them include water which I know some people will dislike. Someone in the pro shop mentioned getting GPS on carts for next year. I think for $109 that’s a pretty fair expectation. 

The par 5s were excellent! One of the best collection of 3 shot holes that I have played. 7 and 15 were cool holes as well. 

Overall I think it’s one of the very best public’s in the Indy area. Better than Fort, Purgatory, Bear Slide, and Prairie View for sure. I do think the Brickyard is slightly better and torn between Kampen and Rock Hallow. Kampen is better manicured than Rock for sure but I don’t think the quality and variety of holes is as good. 

Enjoy 

Edited by StudentGolfer4
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 8:24 AM, Bob Cat said:

Cannonball comin'!!!!

• Haha 1

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

I’ve booked 2 tee times for trophy club next Saturday 10/30 at 1100 and 1109. I think we have 5 players now all chili-dipper wrx members If anyone is interested in joining in Hit up this thread or pm me! Good would love to get out with some more members. 

• Like 1

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Played in a scramble at Deer Track GC just NW of Frankfort, SE of Lafayette, yesterday.  It's out in the middle of nowhere but had some neat holes and was in great shape.

Recommended.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

On 9/24/2021 at 3:02 AM, Cameron Detour said:

Hello All-

I am an avid golfer from Olive Branch, MS ( outside of Memphis, TN ). My family and I are possibly relocating to Indianapolis in the next 6-12 months. We will be searching for housing at some point. We have been recommended Avon, Fishers, Carmel, Zionsville for homes. My question is, are there any affordable private courses in the area (3-5k range for family membership)?  I am currently a member of a private course here and it is 7 minutes from my home.  I enjoy our member tournaments and weekly men's league and would be looking for the same there. I'd like to live close to the course in the event that I partake in a few cold ones while playing. Also, would prefer that the club had a pool. 

I'm 39 years old, and around a 8 handicap. I would be looking for a casual, laid-back, and friendly atmosphere (no stuffy trust fund clubs).  Any recs?  

Thanks so much!

For price range and amenities you are looking for... living in the areas you mentioned... Broadmoor might be a good option If you live in Zionsville/ West Carmel as it's very accessible from there. Broadmoor completed a significant restoration last year with architect Bruce Hepner, new bunkers and some other clubhouse renos. I've played everything of note in the state,  and the greens there are better than anywhere else in the state.  Great super that keeps the course in top shape. 

There are no privates in the northern burbs that fit your price range.  Woodland is a really good club in heart of Carmel.  It's probably the most affordable on the north side,  but still likely higher than you've mentioned,  with a decent initiation.  

If you live on west side,  Country Club of Indianapolis would be the one to look into.  

If you end up out in Fishers you can look into Hawthorne's. Don't know where they are today,  but a few years back they were offering some decent deals. Good luck.  

Edited by ruascott

• 4 weeks later...

Woodland is BIG money. Don't forget about Twin Lakes GC near 96th and Shelborn (it may fit your budget) also close to west Carmel and Zionsville. Also Old Oakland is great value, however it might be outside of your travel expectations being just south of Geist. If you dont mind going further northeast Noblesville has some decent opinions as well, but I have a feeling that initiation and monthly fees for pretty much all private courses are much higher than a couple years ago.

Edited by TyWebb_Indy

this is SO Hard to decide:

1. Chariot run

2. Kampen

3. Sultan’s run

4. Brickyard  

5. Rock hollow 

I’ve played the Ross course, and I’ve gotta figure it would make the list if it’s in better shape next time I play it. 

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

My personal list...

Brickyard

Rock Hallow

Kampen

The Fort

Sultans Run

Bear Slide, Prairie View, and Sultans Run were all up for the 5th spot. Ask me tomorrow and I may change my mind. 

haven’t played either French Lick course, Pfau, Warren, or Chariots Run. 

Edited by StudentGolfer4