Circle City Chili Dipper- Indy Golf Thread

HoosierHacker89

On 9/24/2021 at 11:06 AM, TyWebb_Indy said:

Hawthorns (Fishers), Sagamore (Noblesville), Old Oakland (Geist-Indy), CCI (Speedway-Indy), Broadmoor CC (Meridian-Hills - Indy), harbour trees (noblesville) are all good ones. None of these strike me as trust fund stuffy. Im a member at Old Oakland, probably the best value in the city (or at least it was last year when I spoke to most of these clubs listed. Crooked Stick is on a massive wait list and requires huge initiation. If u want to play OO let me know Ill get you out.

@TyWebb_IndyThanks for the response! I know it has been a while since I have logged on here.  I will be transferring to Indy in October. Not sure how long the golf season runs there, but would love to get out and meet some folks. I'll definitely be in search of meeting people and playing. We are moving there without knowing anyone. It looks like we'll be buying a house in Fishers if we can win this one. It'll be the 3rd house we've tried to buy in the past several weeks. 

On 9/25/2021 at 5:22 PM, DrOldSchool said:

The guys that posted above gave great info. I'll add this, I live right by Sagamore, and it's not exactly in your price range (I think its ~18k for initiation now). I'm willing to bet things in Carmel aren't in your desired range either. The top end public courses around here charge what you are asking for yearly memberships (Prairie View, Purgatory, etc). The only public one I can think of with a pool is Plum Creek in Carmel, but there could be others. Plum has a very active membership for a public course - lots of leagues and lots of $$ thrown around. 

There are a lot of great areas to live, and a lot of strong public/private golf options both in and within 60-75 minute of Indy. Fishers is on a lot of "best places to live" lists. The housing market around here is very very hot right now, and it's a sellers market. Let me/us know if you need any area/course advice.

@DrOldSchool Thank you for the advice! I'll be moving to Indy in October.  We are currently attempting to buy a home in Fishers. You talked a little about public options with "memberships." How are the courses that utilize this model in the Fishers area? I'm far from a great player, but since I've been a member at a private course for 11 years, I'm a little spoiled with pace of play and the ability to find a game whenever I'm looking for one. Are there ones that you recommend? Any to steer clear of? Thanks again!

12 hours ago, Cameron Detour said:

@DrOldSchool Thank you for the advice! I'll be moving to Indy in October.  We are currently attempting to buy a home in Fishers. You talked a little about public options with "memberships." How are the courses that utilize this model in the Fishers area? I'm far from a great player, but since I've been a member at a private course for 11 years, I'm a little spoiled with pace of play and the ability to find a game whenever I'm looking for one. Are there ones that you recommend? Any to steer clear of? Thanks again!

Happy to help. My question to start is where about in Fishers are you looking to purchase and how much does proximity matter?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15syiDDZrjMDwjTz43T2VjYCr0v8lp3STXUBSpPJNTSM/edit?usp=sharing

That link is something I put together while we were all banned from playing golf in 2020 and I've kept it up since. It's all the courses I've played in Indiana and my subjective rating for them. I need to do something about the "value" ranking as courses have gone up a lot in the last 2 years like everything else, but that's for another place and time.

Not knowing the answer to the question above matters, as you could be 5 minutes from say Prairie View/Plum Creek and be in Fishers... or you could be 20+ minutes away from them and still be in Fishers. 

I'll use Top Golf on 116th in Fishers as a reference point, since it's close to "downtown" Fishers and say 20 minutes is your drive time. I'd rate the courses thusly that are public with a membership option that I am aware of (note there are several private options I'm not including but should be well more expensive than these):

Top tier:

Purgatory - Great course, excellent clubhouse, solid practice facilities. Every member I've met/paired with there has been on the older side of the age equation.

Prairie View - Members there are more "bros", if you know what I mean. But if you want $$ games, as well as a good RTJ Jr course and excellent practice facilities, this is probably the best overall.

Plum Creek - Same as PV but with worse practice facilities (smaller range) and the course is good but not as great as above. Not Dye's best track, though the space is a bit limited that he had to work with. But $$ flys in games there from what I always hear. If I recall correctly you wanted a pool, and Plum has one.

River Glen - Also has a pool, but the course is a step down from those above in layout and enjoyment in my opinion. They have leagues and such. Smaller range.

Second tier (please note these are a major step down or more from those above):

Pebble Brook - 36 holes but not much else going for it

Gray Eagle - Has an indoor range for the winter but rumor is it's going away. Course has been subject to closure rumors for a while, and it's not the best layout

Stony Creek - Has a par 3 course and a big range along with their 18 hole course, but again its members are an older clientele and the greens are so shaggy and slow (they destroyed them 4 years ago and have never recovered). Couple goofy holes on the back 9.

Ironwood - 27 holes but never in good condition, very limited practice facilities. I've played this course very rarely in 7 years if that says anything despite living 15 min away.

Arrowhead - Country course with limited facilities and an awful back 9 layout 

Courses that I'm not sure if they have membership in that 20 minute radius: The Fort, Winding Ridge, Sahm, Fox Prairie/Forest Park, Brookshire. I would not recommend joining any of these if they have membership options. Even The Fort which gets all kinds of accolades, but is probably bombed out by now and has the worst customer service of any course in the area.

Shoot me a direct message if you need more info about the area. There are a bunch of us that play 2-3 times/week from the thread as well all over town if you want to tag along, you (or anyone reading this) is more than welcome!

I can attest that plum creek has a very good mens club. I’ve played in their group enough with a couple members and it’s always a good time. They do a few Midwest trips throughout the year  too. It’s all cart golf though and fairly slow. 4 hour rounds just don’t happen out there. Even if you’re the first group off in the mens club. Being in a neighborhood it is very family friendly. Poop is a plus. Far from my favorite course though. 

I agree that most private places are a bit more than you’re looking to spend. Like everywhere else, the private clubs in Indy have been doing well the last few years. 

I believe Harbor Trees is the lowest of the privates that were mentioned but it’s very possible that changed the past 2 years as well. It’s also the least desirable course in my mind. 

Fox Prairie actually has a decent mens club. The course is a decent layout, especially the back9 but it is your standard muni. They play Saturday mornings a couple times a month in some sort of format. I’m guessing it would be smarter cost wise to just pay the $100 to join the mens club or whatever than buying a course membership. 

Edited by StudentGolfer4
Fox info

14 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

I can attest that plum creek has a very good mens club. I’ve played in their group enough with a couple members and it’s always a good time. They do a few Midwest trips throughout the year  too. It’s all cart golf though and fairly slow. 4 hour rounds just don’t happen out there. Even if you’re the first group off in the mens club. Being in a neighborhood it is very family friendly. Poop is a plus. Far from my favorite course though. 

I agree that most private places are a bit more than you’re looking to spend. Like everywhere else, the private clubs in Indy have been doing well the last few years. 

I believe Harbor Trees is the lowest of the privates that were mentioned but it’s very possible that changed the past 2 years as well. It’s also the least desirable course in my mind. 

Fox Prairie actually has a decent mens club. The course is a decent layout, especially the back9 but it is your standard muni. They play Saturday mornings a couple times a month in some sort of format. I’m guessing it would be smarter cost wise to just pay the $100 to join the mens club or whatever than buying a course membership. 

Is this a typo or am I about to learn something new?

• Haha 2

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

On 6/11/2022 at 3:57 PM, DrOldSchool said:

Happy to help. My question to start is where about in Fishers are you looking to purchase and how much does proximity matter?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15syiDDZrjMDwjTz43T2VjYCr0v8lp3STXUBSpPJNTSM/edit?usp=sharing

That link is something I put together while we were all banned from playing golf in 2020 and I've kept it up since. It's all the courses I've played in Indiana and my subjective rating for them. I need to do something about the "value" ranking as courses have gone up a lot in the last 2 years like everything else, but that's for another place and time.

Not knowing the answer to the question above matters, as you could be 5 minutes from say Prairie View/Plum Creek and be in Fishers... or you could be 20+ minutes away from them and still be in Fishers. 

I'll use Top Golf on 116th in Fishers as a reference point, since it's close to "downtown" Fishers and say 20 minutes is your drive time. I'd rate the courses thusly that are public with a membership option that I am aware of (note there are several private options I'm not including but should be well more expensive than these):

Top tier:

Purgatory - Great course, excellent clubhouse, solid practice facilities. Every member I've met/paired with there has been on the older side of the age equation.

Prairie View - Members there are more "bros", if you know what I mean. But if you want $$ games, as well as a good RTJ Jr course and excellent practice facilities, this is probably the best overall.

Plum Creek - Same as PV but with worse practice facilities (smaller range) and the course is good but not as great as above. Not Dye's best track, though the space is a bit limited that he had to work with. But $$ flys in games there from what I always hear. If I recall correctly you wanted a pool, and Plum has one.

River Glen - Also has a pool, but the course is a step down from those above in layout and enjoyment in my opinion. They have leagues and such. Smaller range.

Second tier (please note these are a major step down or more from those above):

Pebble Brook - 36 holes but not much else going for it

Gray Eagle - Has an indoor range for the winter but rumor is it's going away. Course has been subject to closure rumors for a while, and it's not the best layout

Stony Creek - Has a par 3 course and a big range along with their 18 hole course, but again its members are an older clientele and the greens are so shaggy and slow (they destroyed them 4 years ago and have never recovered). Couple goofy holes on the back 9.

Ironwood - 27 holes but never in good condition, very limited practice facilities. I've played this course very rarely in 7 years if that says anything despite living 15 min away.

Arrowhead - Country course with limited facilities and an awful back 9 layout 

Courses that I'm not sure if they have membership in that 20 minute radius: The Fort, Winding Ridge, Sahm, Fox Prairie/Forest Park, Brookshire. I would not recommend joining any of these if they have membership options. Even The Fort which gets all kinds of accolades, but is probably bombed out by now and has the worst customer service of any course in the area.

Shoot me a direct message if you need more info about the area. There are a bunch of us that play 2-3 times/week from the thread as well all over town if you want to tag along, you (or anyone reading this) is more than welcome!

Awesome info! Thank you so much! The house is in the vicinity of Cumberland Park. 15-20 min. would be preferable for commute. 

On 6/12/2022 at 9:38 PM, Cameron Detour said:

Awesome info! Thank you so much! The house is in the vicinity of Cumberland Park. 15-20 min. would be preferable for commute. 

I’d recommend a phone call to Old Oakland and The Hawthorns. I doubt they’re in your price range but compared to what’s closest to this area it’s worth a few extra bucks.

Otherwise your closest options are Ironwood, Winding Ridge, The Fort, and Gray Eagle.  Prairie view, river glen and plum creek may be in that 15-20 window. The rest of what I mentioned before are probably 20+ minutes in traffic.

Edited by DrOldSchool
Timing

Walked Prairie View yesterday (IHSAA boys state finals) and it looked great.

Was obvious the grounds crew took extra steps to showcase it to the players and crowd.

There was a kid playing named Happy Gilmore.

BTW, thanks to the IHSAA for charging $2 per bottle of water and not allowing personal coolers during a heat advisory.  Classy.

Lots of mama bears ignored the no-outside-coolers signs and I applaud them (not std course signage).

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

• 2 weeks later...

Played midweek at The Fort. Course is still in good shape. The greens were surprisingly receptive. You could tell a lot of water is definitely being applied. All iron and wedge shots were leaving big ball marks and usually had some mud on them after an approach. I wouldn’t say greens were fast or slow but felt a little furry at times. I’m guessing this was a direct response to the heat and lack of rain. 

$61 to ride weekday morning felt more than fair. 

Hey guys, I lost my job in IN so moving back to OH.  Just wanted to drop in one last time and say thanks for inviting me to play with you all, always had a good time and played some nice tracks.  If I ever have any reason to be back in the area I'll reach out and see if you have an opening somewhere.  I'll be coming back one last time in September to move the rest of my furniture, maybe we can work out one more round, I'd really love one more shot at Purgatory!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

@halliedog

This saddens me, dude.

DEFINITELY reach back out on the Purgatory idea and I'll make every effort to join you.

Take care and hope to see you soon!

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

They say everything happens for a reason, so hopefully something good comes out of this mess.  When I tried to file for unemployment I discovered someone tried to steal my identity back in Feb 2021 so I'm currently jumping through hoops to even be eligible to receive anything.  Plus my iCloud account was tied to my work phone, so even though I have a new phone I can't restore any of my contacts or download any apps until I get that restored to my new #, which for some reason won't be complete until July 15.  But on the plus side I have an interview next week with a company I've done a lot of work with in the past, so if that works out I'll be feeling a lot better about my future than I do right now.  Less money, but will be back home with family/dog/old friends and not trying to support 2 households, so a lot less stress.  Wish me luck!

I doubt I'll get a chance to play when I come back for the rest of my stuff since wife will probably come with.  The plan is we'll drive over in my car, hire someone to pack up a UHaul, and she'll drive the car back and I'll drive the UHaul.  If something changes, or I have to go back more than once, I'll definitely reach out in advance to try to plan a Purgatory trip around it.  For that matter I never played the Speedway track in the 2 years I was over there, so that might be something interesting 🤔

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

3 minutes ago, DrOldSchool said:

Well damn man when it rains it pours. Sucks to lose ya. I’ll hit you up when I travel to Maryland and maybe we can meet up at longaberger sometime.l or somewhere around there.

Longaberger is COL and I'm in AKR.  But I've got my name in the hat for a gig as a Starter/Ranger @ Firestone, so if that comes through we'll do that instead!  I have a buddy doing it now and he can get a group out once a day on West or North course depending on traffic.  South course is the "Tournament" course, but it is tough to get on and just brutal!  I played it a few years ago from the "hybrid tees" and it was still Driver-3wd-Wedge all day long for me, and that was no where close to the "Sunday Tournament Tees".

Even if that doesn't come through, let me know when you are heading back to MD and I can come up with some place nice to play between COL and AKR!

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Hallie, do they still use the old blimp hangar in Akron?

The first time I rolled up on that (20 years ago?) it blew my mind.  Huuuuuge.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Yes they do, and yes it's HUGE!  There's a semi-circular door at the front that rotates open to get it in, and that door is big enough to fit 2 747's wingtip to wingtip.  The old Akron U football stadium used to be right around the corner and the whole thing would've fit inside the airdock or so I was told.

Airdock_Goodyear_Akron_2_4a.webp

• Like 1

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

If I remember correctly, there were small locomotives used to open and close those clamshell doors.

And I was told if the humidity and temp were just right that it would "rain" inside.

It's an amazing structure.

I thought the Soap Box Derby track was cool there too!

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I've got a foursome making a trip from out of state to play some golf north of Indy in early August. We'll play 4 courses, but haven't settled on them yet since we can't book tee times more than two weeks out. 

We're going to be staying near Carmel and are looking for courses roughly in the northeast Indy area within 20 min. or so from Carmel. We are definitely playing Bear Slide and are considering Purgatory, Prairie View, The Fort, Plum Creek. Are there any others in this area we should consider and which 3 should we include along with Bear Slide? Any current course conditions we should be aware of that would impact a round at any of these courses? Any place we should steer clear of these days?

The guys decided against Brickyard due to the $175 green fees. It's pricey for my budget but I'd vote for the experience if it were just up to me. Oh well. Another time.

Any help from you Indy golf veterans is much appreciated.

Driver: Srixon 785 (Helium f4 49g) 3 & 5 Woods: TaylorMade M6 (FW 6s) Hybrid: Cleveland Launcher Halo  4 (22º) Miyazaki C Kua 60  Irons: Srixon 585 5-AW (Steelfifber 95s). Wedges: TaylorMade R-Series Tour Grind EF Spin Groove 52º-9, 56º-10 (KBS Wedge Shaft) Golf Pride MCC+4 grips. Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow, Double Bend Shaft, Stroke Lab Oversize Grip

Those courses in that order are good. Prepare for slow rounds at prairie view and plum creek, and they can be tricky to get on between membership and events. The fort will likely be one step down conditioning wise than the others.

Depending on your route of travel I could suggest others. But everything close in to Carmel (20 min as you say) is a major step down from those listed. If you’re stuck though consider River Glen or the Sycamore course at Eagle Creek. 

Let us know where you decide upon as it approaches, especially if you have to stray from your list.

2 hours ago, axeme said:

I've got a foursome making a trip from out of state to play some golf north of Indy in early August. We'll play 4 courses, but haven't settled on them yet since we can't book tee times more than two weeks out. 

We're going to be staying near Carmel and are looking for courses roughly in the northeast Indy area within 20 min. or so from Carmel. We are definitely playing Bear Slide and are considering Purgatory, Prairie View, The Fort, Plum Creek. Are there any others in this area we should consider and which 3 should we include along with Bear Slide? Any current course conditions we should be aware of that would impact a round at any of these courses? Any place we should steer clear of these days?

The guys decided against Brickyard due to the $175 green fees. It's pricey for my budget but I'd vote for the experience if it were just up to me. Oh well. Another time.

I think Plum Creek is a noticeable step down from the others listed.

I played the fort last week and the conditioning was pretty good. Not quite prairie view good but better than plum and on par with bear slide. I haven’t been to purgatory this year but I don’t prefer it. All the holes run together for me but I know I’m in the minority there. It’s a bit longer drive but trophy club would be a worthwhile trip. 

I'll make this simple for you. Play Bear Slide, Purgatory, Prairie View and The Fort. These are the best courses in the criteria you are listing.

• Like 3

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

On 7/10/2022 at 7:02 PM, axeme said:

I just can't believe the Brickyard is $175. It's absolutely unique and Roger Penske is a details guy so the place is in immaculate shape (from what I've heard), but that price in the Indy market is just nuts. I think The Fort is the best pure golf in the area and depending on what days/times you play, you could hit it three times for the price of one Brickyard round. 

On 6/12/2022 at 9:38 PM, Cameron Detour said:

I didn't see you budget.... but I'm going to 2nd the idea of checking out Old Oakland. No pool or any other full scale club amenities other than decent practice area/ range.... but it's 27 holes and kept in nice condition,  and would be an easy drive from Cumberland Park. Probably the most affordable private option anywhere on the northside with the exception of Twin Lakes in Carmel....which is going to be pretty far from you.  

Hawthornes is a nice family club also close by with full array of facilities. 

The public "memberships" mentioned are going to be at courses that get a lot of play and the slow pace that goes along with that.  River Glen probably would be the best choice if going this route.  It's $2k/yr for annual membership.... with some add ons for cart/range. Perfectly enjoyable course and never seemed overly packed when I've been there (though it's been several years). 

Edited by ruascott

On 7/24/2022 at 8:26 PM, mci711 said:

How would you (or anyone that wants to chime in) rank these 4? 

Fort 

bear slide 

purgatory

prairie view 

i ranked these based on which courses I’d want to most given the opportunity. You could put them in about any order and not be wrong.  

I do think prairie view is a step below the rest these days due to the fraternity vibes.  The fort depends on conditions , but if it’s getting love it’s the best course. maintenance is the biggest variable for it. 

Edited by HoosierHacker89
  • Like 1

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig