Circle City Chili Dipper- Indy Golf Thread

HoosierHacker89

On 5/25/2023 at 6:01 PM, Bob Cat said:

Been past it 100 times but never played.  Look forward to your report.

Was ok.  Kind of average all the way around. 

Winds through a subdivision, but it’s never overly obtrusive. That part was fine. 

Very narrow, gimmicky at times for anyone other than a low handicapper. Trees overhanging shots in the middle of the fairway, etc.

Par 5 to open followed by a par 3 was, charming, I guess. Layout was a little silly overall. 

Greens were absurd at times, as in, not playable. 80% of the holes they were fine/fair. 

Tee boxes were hot garbage and not maintained.  Sand traps were decent enough. 

Staff was exceptional and extremely pleasant.  For $43 on a prime weekend, I suppose I got what I paid for. 

I guess I’d return at the right time for the right price. No need to go out of your way for this one though, IMO. 

• Like 1

@Quem24 Hoping the friendly staff and adventure of playing a new course overrode the sketchy conditions.  Appreciate the report!

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

On 5/28/2023 at 5:21 PM, Quem24 said:

Was ok.  Kind of average all the way around. 

Winds through a subdivision, but it’s never overly obtrusive. That part was fine. 

Very narrow, gimmicky at times for anyone other than a low handicapper. Trees overhanging shots in the middle of the fairway, etc.

Par 5 to open followed by a par 3 was, charming, I guess. Layout was a little silly overall. 

Greens were absurd at times, as in, not playable. 80% of the holes they were fine/fair. 

Tee boxes were hot garbage and not maintained.  Sand traps were decent enough. 

Staff was exceptional and extremely pleasant.  For $43 on a prime weekend, I suppose I got what I paid for. 

I guess I’d return at the right time for the right price. No need to go out of your way for this one though, IMO. 

I didn't remember it being anything spectacular. Did not remember the tree branches hanging out over the fairways, but having been several years since I've played, I suppose that could be more of an issue now than when I played last. Poor tee boxes always drive me nuts. Guess we know why it doesn't show up on any hot list of Indiana courses. Glad it didn't seem like a total waste of your money, but wish it would have been a slightly better experience for you! 

Appreciate it guys, it isn’t an a avoid at all costs, just typical muni-ish with some silliness, I was probably cranky when I wrote that up that I putted so poorly 🙂

Stonehedge is a significant upgrade for $20 more near where I stay when I’m in town (Warsaw). This place is also 20 min farther.

Tried something different this time and don’t regret it. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Came down from grand rapids for a 3 day golf trip thanks to people on this form so I figured I would share results.  I thought we had some pretty good golf in Grand Rapids, but man you guys are spoiled.  

Day 1

Purgatory - Very fun golf course, played firm and fast, difficult but fair at the sametime, I was a hot mess of the tee and still found the round very enjoyable.  Greens were the fastest on the trip, made for some difficult, but fun shots.  I hope I find a way to play this course again.  I liked most spots in the tall grass you could find your ball, and the shot selection options around these green complexes was so much fun.  

Parrieview - We were going to play this monday morning but they had an outing so we played it on sat twilight.  Like others on this form paying 130 for this course is not even close to worth the money so it worked out good for us because 67 was a fair price for this course.  Good golf course has some interesting holes, but overall opinion on the course from our group was good, but forgettable.  Greens were slower and pretty bumby because they were softer and playing at the end of of busy day was a little tough, not the courses fault.  Still a very good golf course, if you get it a the right price.  

Day 2 

Brickyard -36 holes, rained pretty hard in the morning so our tee times were backed up a little.  Still with the rain played pretty firm and fast and for the most part still felt like we had the place to ourselves.    At 200 it is a bit much compared to how good everything else on this trip was, but all 6-7 had this down as their favorite course, one vote for purgatory.  What was done with this land was pretty impressive, so many cool little unexpected details, waterfall, rock walls, slopes that helped slopes that did not, just a really cool piece of property.  Another hard but fair course, I shot my highest and lowest round here.  Not sure if this is normal or not but we counted only 2 pins that were not tucked, so 2nd time around was a lot easier knowing where to miss.  So cool to go inside the track, amazing how big it is and the holes in there were so cool as well, really didn't want to leave it.  Staff was top notch.  Disappointed nobody was testing their race cars, but the morning rain and tornado we dodged probably had something to do with that.   

Day 3 

Bearslide- Greens looked punched fairly recently, but it was the small holes and they rolled really nice.  Again another really good golf course, guy in the clubhouse was not really happy to see us, but that would not steer me away this course was amazing.   So much fun, good mix of different holes and great conditions.  At this point I wish I was a little younger and not so sore, but I really enjoyed this course.  Great variety of different holes, few odd things like the rough/mounds in the middle of the fairway on 4?  Par 5 on the back split fairway and bunkering made it a really cool hole, lots of different ways to play this course, I really like that. 

Fort - Workers were really nice, they talked this place up a lot, ripped on the Brickyard.  Conditions were fine probably on par with parriewview, so good, but the other 3 courses were noticeably better.   But honestly I was disappointed with this course the most, orginal plan was to play 36 here and not parriewview, but they open late on monday so we changed things around and I'm glad we did.  I'm guessing for someone that has never played golf in Northern Michigan might think that the land and layout was really cool and different.  Seeing that I have played most of the good courses in northern michigan I was not impressed.  Still with that being said this was still a good golf course, we all enjoyed the round, just nothing special.  I'm kind of confused on how highly this place gets ranked in the state.  Now that being said it is still a cool experience and a good golf course.  We enjoyed our round, was busy and played slow.  Few memorable holes, but nothing that great.     

So overall I organized this golf trip for almost 20 years, everyone said this was the best group of courses outside of our Myrtle Beach trip.  It was a lot of driving but worth it.  Did not see one house that I can remember on any of these courses.  

Here is how I would rank them and most of my group agreed with me.

#1 Brickyard 

#2-3 both very close to the brickyard would be a tie Purgatory and Bearslide.  If I factored in price I would put both of these above the Brickyard. 

Pretty big drop then probably another tie between the Fort and Prairieview.  These are both still good courses so I would still say I'm glad we played them, but if I did this trip again I would skip them both and be very excited to play the other ones again.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dave Saylor said:

Came down from grand rapids for a 3 day golf trip thanks to people on this form so I figured I would share results.  I thought we had some pretty good golf in Grand Rapids, but man you guys are spoiled.  

Day 1

Purgatory - Very fun golf course, played firm and fast, difficult but fair at the sametime, I was a hot mess of the tee and still found the round very enjoyable.  Greens were the fastest on the trip, made for some difficult, but fun shots.  I hope I find a way to play this course again.  I liked most spots in the tall grass you could find your ball, and the shot selection options around these green complexes was so much fun.  

Parrieview - We were going to play this monday morning but they had an outing so we played it on sat twilight.  Like others on this form paying 130 for this course is not even close to worth the money so it worked out good for us because 67 was a fair price for this course.  Good golf course has some interesting holes, but overall opinion on the course from our group was good, but forgettable.  Greens were slower and pretty bumby because they were softer and playing at the end of of busy day was a little tough, not the courses fault.  Still a very good golf course, if you get it a the right price.  

Day 2 

Brickyard -36 holes, rained pretty hard in the morning so our tee times were backed up a little.  Still with the rain played pretty firm and fast and for the most part still felt like we had the place to ourselves.    At 200 it is a bit much compared to how good everything else on this trip was, but all 6-7 had this down as their favorite course, one vote for purgatory.  What was done with this land was pretty impressive, so many cool little unexpected details, waterfall, rock walls, slopes that helped slopes that did not, just a really cool piece of property.  Another hard but fair course, I shot my highest and lowest round here.  Not sure if this is normal or not but we counted only 2 pins that were not tucked, so 2nd time around was a lot easier knowing where to miss.  So cool to go inside the track, amazing how big it is and the holes in there were so cool as well, really didn't want to leave it.  Staff was top notch.  Disappointed nobody was testing their race cars, but the morning rain and tornado we dodged probably had something to do with that.   

Day 3 

Bearslide- Greens looked punched fairly recently, but it was the small holes and they rolled really nice.  Again another really good golf course, guy in the clubhouse was not really happy to see us, but that would not steer me away this course was amazing.   So much fun, good mix of different holes and great conditions.  At this point I wish I was a little younger and not so sore, but I really enjoyed this course.  Great variety of different holes, few odd things like the rough/mounds in the middle of the fairway on 4?  Par 5 on the back split fairway and bunkering made it a really cool hole, lots of different ways to play this course, I really like that. 

Fort - Workers were really nice, they talked this place up a lot, ripped on the Brickyard.  Conditions were fine probably on par with parriewview, so good, but the other 3 courses were noticeably better.   But honestly I was disappointed with this course the most, orginal plan was to play 36 here and not parriewview, but they open late on monday so we changed things around and I'm glad we did.  I'm guessing for someone that has never played golf in Northern Michigan might think that the land and layout was really cool and different.  Seeing that I have played most of the good courses in northern michigan I was not impressed.  Still with that being said this was still a good golf course, we all enjoyed the round, just nothing special.  I'm kind of confused on how highly this place gets ranked in the state.  Now that being said it is still a cool experience and a good golf course.  We enjoyed our round, was busy and played slow.  Few memorable holes, but nothing that great.     

So overall I organized this golf trip for almost 20 years, everyone said this was the best group of courses outside of our Myrtle Beach trip.  It was a lot of driving but worth it.  Did not see one house that I can remember on any of these courses.  

Here is how I would rank them and most of my group agreed with me.

#1 Brickyard 

#2-3 both very close to the brickyard would be a tie Purgatory and Bearslide.  If I factored in price I would put both of these above the Brickyard. 

Pretty big drop then probably another tie between the Fort and Prairieview.  These are both still good courses so I would still say I'm glad we played them, but if I did this trip again I would skip them both and be very excited to play the other ones again.  

As a fellow michigander, this was a nice review.  I'm our annual trip organizer and a similar trip is "on the list" for us for the future as well.  Ours is only four rounds and it sounds like Prarie/Purgatory/Bearslide/Brickyard is the way to go.  What kind of lodging did you do?

Thanks for the write up. Always nice to hear a recap from people who have asked for advice. I’m glad you guys had good trip and the weather cooperated for the most part. 

It sounds like I need to get back to Purgatory and give it another chance. I’m never as high on it as others but need to go back there with an open mind. Glad to hear the talk stuff was playable. 

I’m surprised to hear the conditioning of PV wasn’t up to the groups standards. Usually it’s top notch. Glad you caught the twilight rate. Their standard rates are just too steep for me. 

I like the Fort a lot but I do agree part of what makes it unique is the isolation and topography of the course. 

Did the Brickyard allow you guys to take carts off of the path? They have been sticklers on that since Penske took over. Best course in Indy to me. Actually best public in the state. (Haven’t played the Dye Course at French Lick) 

We did a VRBO just outside of downtown so it was a decent amount of driving.  Staying a little north of town would probably be a little better, but not as many VRBO options so you would have to go the hotel route unless you get lucky.  When able we enjoy all hanging out in a house vs hotel.  If we did it again I would stay in hotel by topgolf.  

Brickyard was 90 degrees, I was a little concerned about Cart Path only watching the rain come down in the morning, very glad they did not do CPO.  

The one notable food experience was the Brickyard, you would think that when you are paying $200 a round that you would have better options then a brat or dog.  We stopped at an Irish pub after the brickyard just down the road that was decent and the last day was the Mayfair taproom was pretty solid.  

Brickyard used to have really good BBQ.  Maybe Penske kiboshed that.

Yeah, that area immediately to the S of TopGolf is new and very nice.

Again, glad you enjoyed your experience in 317.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Hi all, I wanted to give a quick shout out to Blackthorn Golf Club in South Bend. 

I had a day off from work time and have been targeting the Warren Course for quite a while now so I made my way to South Bend and after looking at some pictures decided on Blackthorn to pair Warren with.  What a great hidden gem.  I had never heard of Blackthorn but made it out and was extremely impressed with the land, variety of holes and tranquility of the place.  Highly highly recommended.

• Like 1

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

Blackthorn has been on my list of courses I haven't played yet in the state. Thanks for the report, need to get up there this year.

Played Wood Wind today. My advice: don't. They took an annoying layout (the creek) and made it worse by sticking houses everywhere, and removing what i thought was the best hole. The 2 new holes behind the clubhouse are boring and out of place. 15 was a tough hole and now it's just stupid at 280 yards with the lake in front - bigger hitters may try to drive it, or they're hitting like a 7i off the tee. And for the price tag the conditions left a bit to be desired. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gdane said:

Hi all, I wanted to give a quick shout out to Blackthorn Golf Club in South Bend. 

I had a day off from work time and have been targeting the Warren Course for quite a while now so I made my way to South Bend and after looking at some pictures decided on Blackthorn to pair Warren with.  What a great hidden gem.  I had never heard of Blackthorn but made it out and was extremely impressed with the land, variety of holes and tranquility of the place.  Highly highly recommended.

Would love to head your thoughts on Warren. How good is it?

Played The Donald Ross course in French Lick this past Wednesday and it was in pristine condition... but s l o w.

After 5 holes there were two groups waiting on 6 so we jumped on 13 with clean air ahead.  An hour and a half later, the kid who started us came over to clean our clubs while we putted out on 18.  Not knowing how he/they would react, we simply stated our situation and he invited us to start on 1 again, after a single, and before the next group to start in 20 mins.

PERFECT!  We grabbed a couple of dogs, a dbl Tito's lala refill, and away we went through 9 for a 20 hole total... at no extra charge.

Kudo's to the course for their kind understanding and hospitality.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

On 5/30/2023 at 7:50 PM, Quem24 said:

Appreciate it guys, it isn’t an a avoid at all costs, just typical muni-ish with some silliness, I was probably cranky when I wrote that up that I putted so poorly 🙂

Stonehedge is a significant upgrade for $20 more near where I stay when I’m in town (Warsaw). This place is also 20 min farther.

Tried something different this time and don’t regret it. 

I started playing there soon after it opened. Had an in and me and 3 buddies always got on for free, just a handful of houses then. 

Had trouble growing grass on 12, still do. Lots of peatmoss on back 9.  Didn't play there for probably 18 years until this year. 

The front 9 is much better than back. Back 9 has numerous holes that are bad solely on how they had to route them.  

It's OK once a year.   Yes, Stonehenge is way nicer for sure. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 7:33 PM, StudentGolfer4 said:

Would love to head your thoughts on Warren. How good is it?

I really liked Warren as well.  Moderately challenging off the tee but not every 4 required a driver.  The greens were some of the smallest I've played in a while, and it really challenged you to miss on the correct side.  You can tell the course gets quite a bit of play but the crew still kept the conditions clean.

I was expecting the place to be a bit pretentious given the whole Notre Dame factor as well as the recent professional event at the course but I found the place to be extremely inviting and almost a bit blue collar.

Overall the two courses that we played pair extremely well together if you're looking for some variety on a short trip.  

• Like 1

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

• 1 month later...

So might have a sojourn through Indiana.  Will be driving Wednesday to get to Louisville for Thursday night, so can pretty much take any path.  We would rive to wherever we will play Wednesday play Thursday morning then continue onto Louisville. I have a pro friend who is willing to make a call, so there could be some private courses.

My first thought was Crooked Stick, but that has been checked an not an option.  It would appear Sycamore Hills in Fort Wayne would be a good choice, although not sure it would be an option.  Brickyard Crossing has been mentioned, as well as Otter Creek down in Columbus.  Could also look at Warren in South Bend.  We could look at Kampen at Purdue but a bit out of the way.  We'd be coming from the Detroit area direction, so wanting to stay in the East half of the state I would say(or else I would have looked into Victoria National in Evansville).

Interested to hear any opinions on these or maybe a different course along the way we could consider.  Thanks for any advice.

There are plenty of good options. It really just depends how much further you would like to drive. 

Warren is very good but out of the way like you said. Same with Purdue courses.

Around Indy my opinion is Brickyard is

the best course around. I don’t think it’s worth double what the others are asking but that’s up to you. 

Otter Creek I would pass on. It’s a fine course but nothing special. 

I would recommend the Pfau course in Bloomington. It’s the new IU golf course and very good. If you’re headed down 65 to Lville it would be a 45 minute detour or so. 

Another option, that I haven’t played would be chariots run just west of Lville. I’ve yet to play it but I’ve heard very good things. 

• Like 1

Looking to book a trip to the indy area next summer.  Does anyone know of any companies who book travel packages for golf in the area. 
looking to play brickyard crossing and two other courses.  Looking for recommendations as well.  Group of 10-12 guys.  Will be staying in an airbnb.  Any insight is appreciated!  Thanks!

On 9/3/2023 at 1:00 PM, supergriff34 said:

Looking to book a trip to the indy area next summer.  Does anyone know of any companies who book travel packages for golf in the area. 
looking to play brickyard crossing and two other courses.  Looking for recommendations as well.  Group of 10-12 guys.  Will be staying in an airbnb.  Any insight is appreciated!  Thanks!

I can't answer your travel agency question but if you go back through just a few pages in this thread you'll find your answers re golf.

• Thanks 1

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

2 quick course updates:

Stonehenge:

Played 18 there a few weeks ago and it was in great condition.  Staff's super friendly and helpful as well.  "Soda's" were well crafted if you know what I mean.  Recommend.

Purgatory:

@DrOldSchool and I played there yesterday and both felt it was in great shape for the time of year and lack of rain... while it rained on us.  lol

Walking off 17 green, Doc suggest's we replay it from the golds... with our putters.  Had to.

Staff was great.  They now smoke their own BBQ and my brisket sammich on a grilled bun was superb.

GroupGolfer is offering a $45 deal at the moment so get you some!

• Like 1

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

• 2 weeks later...

Played Chariot Run, twice, and champions point this past week. 

I was left wanting a bit more from Chariot Run. It’s a solid golf course but I don’t find it anything special. Greens rolled well but they were by no means fast. Usually I wouldn’t even mention this but so many people mentioned them being fast ahead of time. The course definitely plays shorter than the yardage. Most likely due to the large number of downhill tee shots.

Pace of play can drag down. The pro shop did their best but it’s more of a setup and design issue than anything. Heather on the both sides of almost every hole and several blind tee shots. 5 6, 11, and 17 are blind and 8 is if someone hits a long tee ball. Oddly enough the GPS carts didn’t show distances or location of the carts ahead. Most par 5s being shorter doesn’t help either. 

Champions point was fun. A good mix of holes and solid conditioning. I prefer it to Covered Bridge. I always enjoy the zoysia fairways but I wish they kept it a bit tighter. 

Surprised at your assessment of CR.  I've never "played" it but rode a cart around it in a college tournament a couple of years ago and thought it was great.  Hope to play it soon.

Glad you enjoyed CP and CB.  Played the latter decades ago and though I enjoyed it I do remember it being tough for my game at the time.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

• 3 weeks later...

Played Harbor Links on Brookeville Reservoir this past Tuesday (S of Richmond).

Love that course.  Was in great shape with a NEW clubhouse.

Hope to play it again yet this year but at least next year.  Reduced rate for 60+ seniors.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

• 1 month later...

Did y'all have a good season? I played 6 or 7 times today. Being a father to a 1 year old takes up a bunch of my time these days. 

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig